Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cracked Sidewalks: NIL's possible impact at Marquette  (Read 19327 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Cracked Sidewalks: NIL's possible impact at Marquette
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
NCAA rules are not laws. I didn't word that haphazardly. Wisconsin has no laws regarding this, and as Marquette is still in Wisconsin (despite popular belief otherwise) there are no laws to prevent it.
Did Wisconsin or any other state have a law against paying athletes or allowing them profit off of NIL? I really don't know. There are no laws preventing NFL teams from violating the salary cap.

Accepting membership into the NCAA, which has never been required, meant schools would play by the same rules. If schools don't like it they are free to leave the NCAA. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »
Your statements *may* be true.  But it won' be as prevalent as you may be projecting.

I'm not saying it will be the norm, but there will be a lot of high deals for top talent because boosters are now in direct competition with Ignite & Overtime Elite. And while not all deals will be big, Marquette has already had at least 3 current team members (Elliott, Garcia, Morsell) say their DMs are open for business.

When asked directly, Marquette administration said they are essentially waiting for state guidance and to check back in a few weeks. If that's where they are at while their players are soliciting endorsements, that's...not good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
Did Wisconsin or any other state have a law against paying athletes or allowing them profit off of NIL? I really don't know. There are no laws preventing NFL teams from violating the salary cap.

Accepting membership into the NCAA, which has never been required, meant schools would play by the same rules. If schools don't like it they are free to leave the NCAA.

This is my favorite argument against NIL.  The schools could choose to leave if they wanted to.  They didn’t because they didn’t want to kill the golden goose.  It’s why they let the ncaa fight this tooth and nail.  The last thing they wanted to do was share the pie with the labor
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
Disagree here.  Bo Nix already signed a deal today with a large sweet tea brand.  He's a bum, but he's QB1 at Auburn.  Sure its not a million dollar deal, but I dont think its hard to imagine the QB at any D1 program or the leading scorer on any P6 basketball team having chances to make six figures.

A good friend of mine out of college was from Monroe, LA and went to Ole Miss.  He joked that if you were a starting SEC QB for 1-2 years, your life was set.  You could open up a car dealership or insurance agency, toss up a billboard with a picture of you shaking hands with Nick Saban or Dan Mullen, and clients would roll in.  I think you greatly underestimate the cult of collegiate athletics in many places.

The QB1s at top tier schools will do well in all this, no doubt. For stars at perennial powerhouses, real endorsement deals from businesses will become a normal thing, and I think that's great. But it won't be the standard among student athletes. Paying for appearances might become common for local businesses, but that won't be big money.

There might be some big numbers that come out in the first few years the NIL era because everything will be new, and both sides will be testing the waters. But the idea of businesses and/or donors getting into the habit of regularly shelling out big sums to a constantly changing stream of teenagers seems a bit far fetched to me. Plus, I'm thinking this is all viewed as incremental spending for those who already close to athletic programs because the schools are still going to keep asking for money too.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
This is my favorite argument against NIL.  The schools could choose to leave if they wanted to.  They didn’t because they didn’t want to kill the golden goose.  It’s why they let the ncaa fight this tooth and nail.  The last thing they wanted to do was share the pie with the labor
I did not argue against NIL. You're trying to pick a fight where there is none. I simply asked if there were ever laws against paying college players.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
So now we're going to have players ratting on each other and put the school in a position to deny this ever happened. So either the rule goes or this will kill college football and basketball.

NCAA: Did Markus get paid to go to MU?
Joey: Yes!
NCAA: Did you get paid to go to MU?
Joey: Hell No! Why do you think I left.

NCAA: MU can recruit only one player for the next 5 years.

No not ratting on each other. Players have talked after leaving school about violations, it happens.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:23:47 AM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2021, 11:22:46 AM »
NCAA rules are not laws. I didn't word that haphazardly. Wisconsin has no laws regarding this, and as Marquette is still in Wisconsin (despite popular belief otherwise) there are no laws to prevent it.

"Not allowed" and "not against the law" are not mutually exclusive.
This could all be cleared up if you just took the few minutes required to read the NCAA's interim rules. Those rules apply to all schools not in states with NIL laws, including Wisconsin and thus including Marquette.
It's not, as you seem to be implying, State Law or Wild West. It's State Law or NCAA rule.
And, if you read the NCAA rules and the state laws out there, they basically mirror one another.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2021, 11:22:48 AM »
When asked directly, Marquette administration said they are essentially waiting for state guidance and to check back in a few weeks. If that's where they are at while their players are soliciting endorsements, that's...not good.

That isn't good.  But the NCAA punted on this issue so many times that its hard to feel sorry for their members.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »
Not a Redick fan, but this is fantastic:

https://twitter.com/jj_redick/status/1410403487947558914
JJ Redick
@jj_redick
From 2004-2006, I would have made a bag Money bag on NIL endorsements.  Sadly- I would have blown it all on Natty Light and Lacoste polos (with the collars popped, of course).

Considering the weekly bag drop at the Duke hoops house was going in then I’m sure Redick was doing just fine.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
@PFF_College
BYU sent a press release prohibiting its players from promoting the following products:
 - Alcohol
 - Tobacco
 - Gambling
 - Adult entertainment
 - 𝗖𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗲

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
@PFF_College
BYU sent a press release prohibiting its players from promoting the following products:
 - Alcohol
 - Tobacco
 - Gambling
 - Adult entertainment
 - 𝗖𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗲

I thought the Mormon church added caffeine to it's approved vices? Or was that just soda/energy drinks?
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2021, 12:14:20 PM »
I thought the Mormon church added caffeine to it's approved vices? Or was that just soda/energy drinks?

A google search says they've allowed caffI have a toothacheted pop on campus since 2017.

jesmu84

• All American

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »

It's more of a "hot caffI have a toothacheted drinks" thing. Work with a bunch of Mormons, and black tea and coffee are out, herbal tea is fine.

In theory, decaf coffee would probably be five, but the stigma of holding a cup of coffee would probably be too much

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
The QBs from Miami and FSU launched a company today to provide a platform for athletes to leverage the new NIL rules. They're even getting into NFTs for student athletes. Seems like a great move for these guys. There's a real chance being a first mover here will give them a long term advantage.

I would love to see a MU alum or even the MU athletic department set up something similar specifically for our athletes. It's going to be interesting to see what kinds of businesses spawn out of this change.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31742166/florida-state-mckenzie-milton-miami-deriq-king-join-nil-platform-dreamfield

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
The QBs from Miami and FSU launched a company today to provide a platform for athletes to leverage the new NIL rules. They're even getting into NFTs for student athletes. Seems like a great move for these guys. There's a real chance being a first mover here will give them a long term advantage.

I would love to see a MU alum or even the MU athletic department set up something similar specifically for our athletes. It's going to be interesting to see what kinds of businesses spawn out of this change.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31742166/florida-state-mckenzie-milton-miami-deriq-king-join-nil-platform-dreamfield
Problem with the NFT for college kids, the NCAA specifically prohibits NIL licensing in their uniforms.

Hards Alumni

• All American

• All American
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2021, 12:58:30 PM »
Schools cannot directly or indirectly arrange deals either.

This will benefit stars, not many others though. It’s social media where kids are going to benefit. Just wait until a MU SA wants to start doing Only Fans and see how MU reacts to that.

No. That is wrong. There are 100s of non-stars that have big social media followings. Those players will benefit immensely.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
I don't think people are cognizant of what's about to happen. There will be millionaires playing college sports by the end of the year. There will be 6-figure deals coming out tomorrow. This will be a sea change.

I think you may be right, but what you are talking about is a different animal. These will be big-time stars that will be given big contracts by National and International companies (Nike comes to mind). Where Zion had to wait until he declared for the draft to get a multi-million $$$ deal, it will just happen sooner now.

Edit: Just noticed you addressed a bit this in a later response.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:04:12 PM by Jockey »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Some coaches may love NIL - they won’t have to recruit anymore, just work on having the biggest NIL deals waiting for players.

major college sports are dead as we know, it’s now just for the highest bidders to buy their teams.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
Some coaches may love NIL - they won’t have to recruit anymore, just work on having the biggest NIL deals waiting for players.

major college sports are dead as we know, it’s now just for the highest bidders to buy their teams.

I remember when people acted all chicken little about pro sports free agency and how that was going to ruin everything.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »

Right.  So it looks like an Iowa jersey, but really isn't an Iowa jersey.

That is painfully cheesy by the way.

Oh absolutely cheesy.  But money is money.  Kind of like a certain local football team offering 'stock'.