Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cracked Sidewalks: NIL's possible impact at Marquette  (Read 19040 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Cracked Sidewalks: NIL's possible impact at Marquette
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »
It's a brave, new world in a few days with NIL. Todd Welter takes a look at what it could mean for MU

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/06/name-image-and-likeness-possible-impact.html

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Cracked Sidewalks: NIL's possible impact at Marquette
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
My dad (PC Alum and season ticket holder) is convinced that this will doom the Big East and college hoops. FWIW I think he is wrong and think this sort of thing has been going on under the table for a long time regardless of legality. I get his concern as a PC fan with a small market, smaller alumni base, etc. but I do think that St Johns, Nova, Depaul, UCONN, MU, Georgetown with large markets/student bodies wont be significantly impacted on the negative side.

Between playing at MSG for the tourney, the national reputation of the Big East, and having a great commissioner with Val I do not expect this to be anything but a positive for MU

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
I don't think it will hurt Big East schools too much.  All the NIL money for the big state schools will likely go toward the football team, and there may not be as much of a focus on basketball.  I think that's where basketball-only schools can even the playing field a little bit.  It also helps that Big East schools are in larger cities, so there might be an opportunity for better deals in those markets.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
I get the fear and hesitation for Private schools and smaller schools (and/or both).  However, Marquette (and the Big East) have continued to show that they remain forward thinking and adaptive in pursuits to remain at the highest levels of college basketball.  Just like the worry in 2013 when the basketball schools separated from the football schools - when many folks thought that would be athletic suicide - I believe it will be very unfounded.  If anything, the Big East choosing to focus strictly on men's basketball opened up doors and opportunity for many HS student-athletes that wanted to be the focus on-campus and be at a school's top athletic program.  Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, Providence and Seton Hall are all better today in the Big East than before the split (programs like MU, Georgetown and Butler have taken some steps back to their levels pre-2013, but still remain high-potential and valuable).

I think the reality that all of the Big East programs are in major media markets and in areas where college basketball is prized and loved bodes very well.  The benefit of having all of our programs basketball-first, and majority continue to play at a high level, I think bodes very well for the adjustment of our schools into this new era of college athletics. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »
I may end up proven wrong about this, but I think many are overestimating how much NIL money is out there for the typical college athlete and how influential it ultimately will be.
For local would-be sponsors, a deal with a rare player like Markus Howard - someone known to the common fan with a multiyear presence in the market - might have some value. But JimBob's Dodge of Waukesha isn't going to fork over a ton of money to put the Matt Heldts and Jamal Cains of the world in its ads or to press the flesh for the Memorial Day Madness sale.

National brands are going to spend college athletes only if the see it as a long-term investment/relationship that will continue into the professional ranks. Coke and AT&T aren't spending their advertising budgets on four-year players who might eventually earn a spot as the 13th-15th player on an NBA roster, but is more likely is heading to Europe.

I get that the argument is that wealthy boosters will fund sponsorship deals just to get a player at their favorite school, and I'm sure that will happen to some extent, but it is expressly forbidden by the rules and carries some risk for both the booster and the program involved. Given the neutered state of the NCAA, maybe not much risk at all, but there is a downside, especially if Mark Emmert ever grows a pair.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 10:44:55 AM »
Gonzaga should be concerned.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 10:50:39 AM »
I may end up proven wrong about this, but I think many are overestimating how much NIL money is out there for the typical college athlete and how influential it ultimately will be.
For local would-be sponsors, a deal with a rare player like Markus Howard - someone known to the common fan with a multiyear presence in the market - might have some value. But JimBob's Dodge of Waukesha isn't going to fork over a ton of money to put the Matt Heldts and Jamal Cains of the world in its ads or to press the flesh for the Memorial Day Madness sale.

National brands are going to spend college athletes only if the see it as a long-term investment/relationship that will continue into the professional ranks. Coke and AT&T aren't spending their advertising budgets on four-year players who might eventually earn a spot as the 13th-15th player on an NBA roster, but is more likely is heading to Europe.

I get that the argument is that wealthy boosters will fund sponsorship deals just to get a player at their favorite school, and I'm sure that will happen to some extent, but it is expressly forbidden by the rules and carries some risk for both the booster and the program involved. Given the neutered state of the NCAA, maybe not much risk at all, but there is a downside, especially if Mark Emmert ever grows a pair.
I think most of the money for the "average" athlete is going to come from monetizing their social media, so what school is going to have fans that are willing to follow these athletes on instagram and youtube.

In term of Jim Bob's Dodge, they may pay Matt or Jamal $1000 to come out for the day , but that is $1000 more than they were able to make before.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:54:51 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 10:53:28 AM »
I think most of the money for the "average" athlete is going to come from monetizing their social media, so what school is going to have fans that are willing to follow these athletes on instagram and youtube.

In term of Jim Bob's Dodge, they may pay Matt or Jamal $1000 to come out for the day , but that is $1000 more than they were able to make before.

More than enough for a plane ticket for a quickie trip home to Michigan.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »

I'm skeptical, but if that happens, that's great for them. I'm just not sure the average car shopper in the Milwaukee metro area would know who the eighth man on Marquette's roster is, or care.
But $1,000 isn't a lot of money in the big picture, and it's not likely to be determining factor in where a kid goes to school. If JimBob's Dodge of Waukesha might pay a role player $1,000, so might Mel's Chevy of Urbana or Ken's Ford of Ames.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:04:18 AM by Pakuni »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 11:14:28 AM »
I'm skeptical, but if that happens, that's great for them. I'm just not sure the average car shopper in the Milwaukee metro area would know who the eighth man on Marquette's roster is, or care.
But $1,000 isn't a lot of money in the big picture, and it's not likely to be determining factor in where a kid goes to school. If JimBob's Dodge of Waukesha might pay a role player $1,000, so might Mel's Chevy of Urbana or Ken's Ford of Ames.

Agreed. I think most of the NIL will be through Instagram. I doubt many area businesses will put too much into individual players.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 11:21:32 AM »
Agreed, and as you mentioned the intention of this was not to induce a player to attend/continue to attend a specific  school as it is strictly prohibited.  What they might do is get Shaka on a larger deal, and have some bench players on a smaller deal.  Can they do that?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »

Why?

I think they are one of the biggest beneficiaries of this.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »

Every Gonzaga non conf game is a ET prime-time event, every conf game is a PT ESPN game.  They're a national brand, they'll be fine. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »
If Marquette's athletic department was smart, they would have someone ready to call Dawson at 12:01 am with a six figure endorsement deal to stay. Especially because I'm sure other programs will do exactly that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
If Marquette's athletic department was smart, they would have someone ready to call Dawson at 12:01 am with a six figure endorsement deal to stay. Especially because I'm sure other programs will do exactly that.
I would wager this will not happen. I am assuming the NIL portion dealing with endorsements could not happen until you are actually enrolled in that school. The NIL cannot be an inducement to attend/stay at a school.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »

That's an NCAA violation.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 01:19:12 PM »
That's an NCAA violation.

Dawson is enrolled at Marquette, so they can offer him deals. But anyone that doesn't think NIL is the biggest tool in recruiting and that independent companies that are not the universities won't be making these calls with contingencies are being naive.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 01:28:57 PM »
Dawson is enrolled at Marquette, so they can offer him deals. But anyone that doesn't think NIL is the biggest tool in recruiting and that independent companies that are not the universities won't be making these calls with contingencies are being naive.
They can't offer him a deal to stay. That is a violation. If they make an offer it cannot be contingent on him staying here.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 02:09:05 PM »
They can't offer him a deal to stay. That is a violation. If they make an offer it cannot be contingent on him staying here.

True. I’m sure it’s something like, “A booster is looking to make a $35k advertising deal with a star to be Marquette player.” That just so happens to get brought up in a conversation with Dawson or an AAU coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 02:14:29 PM »

Yes, of course schools will skirt the rules. And everybody has their own comfort levels with Marquette being one of those schools (including Lovell and the BoD).

That said, for which independent company is Dawson Garcia's endorsement worth six figures? We're not exactly talking about a household name in the greater Milwaukee area.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 02:22:30 PM »

Sure it can. "We're looking for a local athlete for a one-year sponsorship of our product/dealership/business." And because Dawson is already at Marquette, those offers can come immediately with the "we'll sign just as soon as you're enrolled in classes" caveat.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »
Sure it can. "We're looking for a local athlete for a one-year sponsorship of our product/dealership/business." And because Dawson is already at Marquette, those offers can come immediately with the "we'll sign just as soon as you're enrolled in classes" caveat.
We'll have to agree to disagree. This pretty much seems to be the exact language the NCAA is stating is a violation. It cannot be an inducement to attend/inducement to stay.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
Yes, of course schools will skirt the rules. And everybody has their own comfort levels with Marquette being one of those schools (including Lovell and the BoD).

That said, for which independent company is Dawson Garcia's endorsement worth six figures? We're not exactly talking about a household name in the greater Milwaukee area.

Individuals like the one that found $6M to can Wojo will have plenty of motivation. And market size will matter less than alumni interest. The monied boosters know they are competing not just with other schools, but with G League Ignite and Overtime Elite. We're going to see numerous deals in the $100k-$500k range and beyond. Welcome to the new normal.