[Today at 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 24804 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: EV's
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2023, 06:06:39 PM »
Every EV CEO has blood on their hands and are flat out lying about child labor in the Congolese mines.  We need to find an alternative to cobalt and support basic human rights which is nowhere to be found there.  The single most cobalt rich spot on earth doesn't even provide electricity for its people.  It's a fking catastrophe as bad as rubber under KLII.  These poor people have no way out and are living in conditions as if it were 100+ years ago.  This needs to be part of the conversation and very few are giving it the time of day.

This is why I walk everywhere barefoot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2023, 06:15:56 PM »
This is why I walk everywhere barefoot
And only eat food you find on the ground.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2023, 06:27:31 PM »
And only eat food you find on the ground.

It’s hard to be anymore woke than I already am.  These boycotts are going to kille me but you’d be surprised how many pudding cups one finds nowadays

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2023, 09:44:59 AM »
Every EV CEO has blood on their hands and are flat out lying about child labor in the Congolese mines.  We need to find an alternative to cobalt and support basic human rights which is nowhere to be found there.  The single most cobalt rich spot on earth doesn't even provide electricity for its people.  It's a fking catastrophe as bad as rubber under KLII.  These poor people have no way out and are living in conditions as if it were 100+ years ago.  This needs to be part of the conversation and very few are giving it the time of day.

Honestly, if you owned or drove a Chevy Cobalt, you should be subject to severe financial reparations and likely prison time

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2023, 11:48:39 AM »
Yessir.

My daughter and SIL have a Model X. They drove it from Seattle to Charlotte when they moved here and never had a significant problem or delay due to charging. They have 2 little kids and a dog, and they needed to make fairly frequent stops anyway, and the Tesla told them where charging stations were.

My SIL said he was a little concerned before the trip but now says he has absolutely no concerns about charging whatsoever. We're planning a long family trip soon and he's already looked at the route. His conclusion: "Charging will not be a problem at all."

jes, I have heard that some non-Tesla owners have found it a little more challenging to do that kind of trip. I don't know enough about the industry to know whether that's true or not. What's been your experience?

I bought a new car 2 months ago and it's a hybrid. I wasn't concerned about charging; I just wanted a mid-sized SUV and all of the EVs I looked at were either unavailable or outrageously expensive.

So only Tesla's can be charged at Tesla charging stations? I cannot imagine going to a gas station that only serves GM cars and trucks and another that only served Hondas etc. If the government is going to mandate EVs through stricter EPA compliance they better mandate that all charging receptacles on the cars are universal and can be charged anywhere. Also all EVs should be linked to to your Utility account automatically so they can compute the road tax as well as the cost of charging.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
So only Tesla's can be charged at Tesla charging stations? I cannot imagine going to a gas station that only serves GM cars and trucks and another that only served Hondas etc. If the government is going to mandate EVs through stricter EPA compliance they better mandate that all charging receptacles on the cars are universal and can be charged anywhere. Also all EVs should be linked to to your Utility account automatically so they can compute the road tax as well as the cost of charging.

No, Teslas can be charged anywhere, at any charging station.  Tesla will just naturally tell you where their network of chargers are.  Same as if you asked Mobil where gas stations were they wouldn't tell you BP locations.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »

This is a huge unresolved issue- fuel taxes that EV owners are not paying that would contribute to road repairs and maintenance. The current structure may still work while there are enough gas or diesel powered vehicles, but there will need to be either other methods or an entirely new approach in the near future to generate sufficient revenue, which in this case is just a nice word for taxes. Taxing recharging at the owner's home is not, in my opinion, feasible.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2023, 12:51:39 PM »
This is a huge unresolved issue- fuel taxes that EV owners are not paying that would contribute to road repairs and maintenance. The current structure may still work while there are enough gas or diesel powered vehicles, but there will need to be either other methods or an entirely new approach in the near future to generate sufficient revenue, which in this case is just a nice word for taxes. Taxing recharging at the owner's home is not, in my opinion, feasible.

Mileage taxes have been discussed as a means to replace a gas tax as far back as when the Prius was new.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2023, 01:29:32 PM »
Tesla is already spying on you.  No reason that mileage can't be monitored and tax assessed, a la an EZ Pass.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2023, 01:55:07 PM »
Mileage taxes have been discussed as a means to replace a gas tax as far back as when the Prius was new.

Ok. Now let's say it's time that the taxes are due, and a rather large percentage of the EV owners are delinquent. Enforcement? Collection?   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2023, 01:58:49 PM »
Cobalt may very well be gone by 2050.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2023, 02:56:32 PM »

You gotta chill man, who do you think makes your Iphone?  It ain't Greg from up the street.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
You gotta chill man, who do you think makes your Iphone?  It ain't Greg from up the street.

If iPhones were made with gas, problem solved

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2023, 05:21:11 PM »
1. Teslas can DC charge anywhere. Non-teslas cannot charge at Tesla super chargers (DC). Though that is kinda being slowly changed as Tesla took IRA money for charging.

1a. Fast/DC charging is currently very much like cellphones. Apple/Tesla use their own proprietary connector. All other EVs across the globe use the equivalent of USB.

2. BEVs/PHEVs and hybrids almost all pay a tax somewhere to offset not paying road taxes at the pump. In Indiana, for example, we pay significantly higher plate/registration fees.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2023, 05:25:59 PM »

Ya....that's not the point.  Do you think Siddharth Kara owns a cell phone?  It's about understanding that our obsession with going all EV is at a significant cost and we need alternatives to Cobalt.  It's about the media and EV CEO's completely disregarding the Congolese people and the fact that there's a modern slave system in the Congo including young children picking Cobalt.  And it's about China controlling 92% of this entire syatem before it is turned over to the consumer part of the supply chain.  Everyone should read Cobalt Red, we're dealing with a disgusting human tragedy. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2023, 05:45:46 PM »
Ya....that's not the point.  Do you think Siddharth Kara owns a cell phone?  It's about understanding that our obsession with going all EV is at a significant cost and we need alternatives to Cobalt.  It's about the media and EV CEO's completely disregarding the Congolese people and the fact that there's a modern slave system in the Congo including young children picking Cobalt.  And it's about China controlling 92% of this entire syatem before it is turned over to the consumer part of the supply chain.  Everyone should read Cobalt Red, we're dealing with a disgusting human tragedy.

How much cobalt is used in the latest EV batteries?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2023, 06:18:55 PM »
How much cobalt is used in the latest EV batteries?

10-30%

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2023, 06:44:27 PM »
10-30%
or:

Tesla helped pave the way for stricter supply chain labor and less reliance on cobalt for EV battery production. The company’s batteries contain** less than 5% of cobalt,** and they’re currently developing their own batteries that will be cobalt-free.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2023, 07:20:55 PM »
or:

Tesla helped pave the way for stricter supply chain labor and less reliance on cobalt for EV battery production. The company’s batteries contain** less than 5% of cobalt,** and they’re currently developing their own batteries that will be cobalt-free.

Ya a lot of these companies have lied repeatedly and the demand for Cobalt the next decade will go up 500%.  These are the same companies that have stated they don't use child labor and that the mines they use are excavated humanely and "Cobalt Clean".  As Kara pointed out in his book this is complete b-crap. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2023, 01:18:46 PM »

What if I told you that there are more slaves today than any point in history.

How would you feel about that reality?

https://50forfreedom.org/modern-slavery/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2023, 01:57:23 PM »
we have been in the process of creating even more slavery with our "secure" border policies.  cartels are swimming in cash and unfortunately we have companies right here who are amorally putting these kids to work.  not to mention the sex industry-that's even sicker!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »
we have been in the process of creating even more slavery with our "secure" border policies.  cartels are swimming in cash and unfortunately we have companies right here who are amorally putting these kids to work.  not to mention the sex industry-that's even sicker!

Some states are even easing child labor laws!  It’s sick

MU82

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
we have been in the process of creating even more slavery with our "secure" border policies.  cartels are swimming in cash and unfortunately we have companies right here who are amorally putting these kids to work.

If only Mexico could have been forced to pay for a big, beautiful wall.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2023, 02:27:32 PM »

Too much silliness here to unpack, so I'm just going to move on.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2023, 03:12:58 PM »
Too much silliness here to unpack, so I'm just going to move on.

It’s an 8.5 out of 10

feedback