[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 49 free throw attempts  (Read 15352 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: 49 free throw attempts
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2022, 10:53:11 AM »
I didn’t notice any they missed.
I didn't think the officiating was so bad, either.  The only obvious one I thought was missed was when Kam drove baseline and threw the pass that went through Kolek's hands.  Kam got bumped pretty good on his drive twice before making the pass.    It was the one time they showed Shaka all over the ref.

But even on that one, he still made a good pass and there was no reason for Kolek to muff it.

Oso got away with a pretty obvious travel that led to a 3 for our last lead of the game.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2022, 11:05:24 AM »
Not a foul, but I also enjoyed PC getting a timeout in the backcourt with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2022, 11:17:56 AM »
Not a foul, but I also enjoyed PC getting a timeout in the backcourt with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

Called by Cooley, not a player on the floor.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2022, 11:20:21 AM »
For sure. Unfortunately, the team had their opportunities in spite of the foul situation. Just did not get it done. Shaka needs to school the guys on blocking out.

Yup. Totally could've and maybe should've won in spite of it. A little better shooting and offensive execution down the stretch, going zone sooner, any number of factors could've tilted it. But the reffing was one of those factors.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »
Kolek had two strange turnovers at around the 2 minute mark of regulation.  On one, the ball jumped out of his hands.  On the next one, the ball seemed to go right through him (from Kam).

Was he fowled on either?  They never zoomed in on either of those.  I replayed and had a hard time seeing what exactly happened.
From memory, on the first one, no, he seemed to fairly get stripped. He made a bad mistake dribbling into a double team.

He also was not fouled on the 2nd one, but Kam absolutely was. He was slammed twice, forcing him to make a pass before landing out of bounds. TK again, made a bad turnover when the ball fell out of his hands, but there is no question Kam should have been at the FT line instead of it resulting in a TO.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2022, 11:22:43 AM »
Called by Cooley, not a player on the floor.

Sure, but that doesn't change 10 seconds ticked off the clock before the timeout was given.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2022, 11:26:00 AM »
I didn't catch the game live last night, so watched it after reading all the kvetching about fouls.  Almost universally fouls were called when someone with the ball was driving.  Body fouls were not typically called, but if you reached in, lowered you hands, or didn't stay vertical, the foul was called.  Marquette lowered their hands, reached in, and didn't stay vertical while defending much more than Providence did.  Hence the disparity.  They should have adjusted and got their body in the way more.

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure a body blow that sends the person backwards, as happened to Jop on the bucket that tied it, should still be called a foul, just as I'm pretty sure body slamming Kam both out of bounds and (separately) to the floor in the lane should still be called fouls.

And to add, on the one that Kam was knocked to the ground, when he regained his feet the Providence player grabbed him to pull him back from going towards the basket.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:28:43 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2022, 11:35:16 AM »
Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure a body blow that sends the person backwards, as happened to Jop on the bucket that tied it, should still be called a foul, just as I'm pretty sure body slamming Kam both out of bounds and (separately) to the floor in the lane should still be called fouls.

Agreed. Croswell tried to jump vertically on Joplin but you can see he jumps at the top of the restricted arc and lands on the baseline end of the arc, while chest bumping Joplin to the ground. No way he stayed vertical. That’s an and one.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2022, 11:48:43 AM »
One thing the erfs were definitely bad at was tossing up the ball on a jump ball. On all three occasions the toss was too high for either player and PC got it coming down.
The refs made up for it in OT and DOT by calling a foul on MU within 4 seconds. There was no shortage of contact from either team, but one team got a ton more leeway on the whistles.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »
Sure, but that doesn't change 10 seconds ticked off the clock before the timeout was given.

A player on the floor is only allowed to call a time out during live action, unless it is within the last 2 minutes of each half or overtime when a coach can. IIRC, this was not within the last two minutes.

If so (and the rule hasn't changed again recently), Driscoll gave MU a double wedgie.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:10:52 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

connie

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2022, 12:21:22 PM »
I didn't catch the game live last night, so watched it after reading all the kvetching about fouls.  Almost universally fouls were called when someone with the ball was driving.  Body fouls were not typically called, but if you reached in, lowered you hands, or didn't stay vertical, the foul was called.  Marquette lowered their hands, reached in, and didn't stay vertical while defending much more than Providence did.  Hence the disparity.  They should have adjusted and got their body in the way more.
The problem with accepting this explanation for such an unprecedented statistical disparity is we have to believe Shaka is an abject moron.  I can see this in bits and pieces, but the size of the disparity requires that Shaka and every other coach and player be oblivious to why so many more fouls are being called on MU, and that no ever bothers to ask any of the officials why they were calling so many more fouls on MU.  Or we have to believe that despite being told the cause, the players just kept on doing the thing that was within their control but killing them. Granted either might be the case, but if it is and our coaches and players really are this clueless, we are well and truly screwed.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

panda

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2022, 01:29:01 PM »
I think the stretch at the end of the game where we blew an 8 point lead and didn’t score for around 5 minutes was far more negative than the refs favoring the home team who lives inside while we’re a small jump shooting team who has trouble defending inside.

Not to say the refs were decent, but cmon. Score a bucket or two at the end of regulation and we win easily. This loss is squarely on us and any other blame is avoiding discussion on our flaws.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2022, 01:32:09 PM »
I think the stretch at the end of the game where we blew an 8 point lead and didn’t score for around 5 minutes was far more negative than the refs favoring the home team who lives inside while we’re a small jump shooting team who has trouble defending inside.

Not to say the refs were decent, but cmon. Score a bucket or two at the end of regulation and we win easily. This loss is squarely on us and any other blame is avoiding discussion on our flaws.
Both are true -- MU shouldn't have blown the lead, and the refs were ridiculous in the disparity in how they called the game. Further, MU wasn't a jump shooting team at Providence, they drove at will and outscored the Friars in the paint.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »

Agreed.  Don't make the refs relevant.  I can't help but think of Kolek with a chance to take a pretty easy layup to go up 9 but instead kicking out to Stevie for a 3 to try and go up 10.  Stevie is shooting what like 15% from 3?
VIOLENCE!

panda

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2022, 01:42:39 PM »
Both are true -- MU shouldn't have blown the lead, and the refs were ridiculous in the disparity in how they called the game. Further, MU wasn't a jump shooting team at Providence, they drove at will and outscored the Friars in the paint.

One thing is controlled by the team and one thing isn’t. Control what you can control.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »

We’re a jump shooting team with over 60 points in the paint yesterday?  Come on now, we’ve done a real good job getting inside in our last six games or so, no way can you designate that a jump shooting team.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
A player on the floor is only allowed to call a time out during live action, unless it is within the last minutes of each half or overtime when a coach can. IIRC, this was not within the last two minutes.

If so (and the rule hasn't changed again recently), Driscoll gave MU a double wedgie.

Better or worse than a Driscoll double T?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2022, 02:16:03 PM »
Agreed.  Don't make the refs relevant.  I can't help but think of Kolek with a chance to take a pretty easy layup to go up 9 but instead kicking out to Stevie for a 3 to try and go up 10.  Stevie is shooting what like 15% from 3?

24% but he is 0 for his last 9 and his form has looked horrible. Shot 40% in his first 6 games, 1 for 14 in his last 7. It's in his head at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2022, 02:22:25 PM »
One thing is controlled by the team and one thing isn’t. Control what you can control.
Both things--MU performance, and terrible refs--are true.

Your jumpshooting excuse for the latter is just wrong.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2022, 02:28:56 PM »
The refs were fine. PC was just too physical for MU. When you recruit prong and lean athletes, and don’t rebound well, this happens.

This is why some lament the lack of bugs on this team. Oso is the only one and he’s not exactly built.

Ya kant sey dat heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2022, 02:32:53 PM »
If we were looking at a 40-30 FT disparity, I might agree. But unprecedentedly historic disparities considering the way the game was played stand out.

I'm not going Lisa Joplin, but the game was not called the same way on both ends. Attack Kam was in effect and wasn't rewarded while wild Devin Carter was rewarded. And zero fouls on Hopkins was ridiculous.

Unrelated.. David Joplin was HORRRIFIC last night. He had his third best "individual" offensive game of the season last night (offensive rating) last night. He played more offensive possessions than defensive possessions. AND STILL he finished the game -12.

That shouldn't be possible.

Its almost time for Ross to get off the bench before him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2022, 02:33:36 PM »

Ya kant sey dat heer, hey?

Plenty of people say that.  It’s been mentioned hundreds of times.

Shaka is currently putting together a program of athletes at the cost of traditional bigs.  Kur Kuath helped cover a lot of that last year.  Shaka has implemented a style and type of play and athlete he wants.  Bemoaning the lack of a dominant rebounder  is fine but misses the larger picture
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 02:35:41 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2022, 02:36:41 PM »
We’re a jump shooting team with over 60 points in the paint yesterday?  Come on now, we’ve done a real good job getting inside in our last six games or so, no way can you designate that a jump shooting team.

3’s and dunks. That’s what Nevada and Shaka preached since the day they arrived. We have a mediocre free throw rate this season while pc is elite. Ref show or not, I’m not shocked the team that lives at the free throw line got to the free throw line a ton while the finesse team didn’t get to the line as much.

End of the day, when a good team is up eight points with five and a half minutes left, that eight point lead usually balloons to double figures as the game dwindles with the trailing team fouling. Instead our offense shut off, needless turns and misses all while we got pushed around inside giving up boards and easy buckets. If we correct our mistakes, or avoid them all together, we’re not even having this stupid refereeing conversation. An eight point lead with five minutes to play for a team of our supposed caliber should close out a mediocre team like pc, home or road, easily.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
One thing the erfs were definitely bad at was tossing up the ball on a jump ball. On all three occasions the toss was too high for either player and PC got it coming down.
The refs made up for it in OT and DOT by calling a foul on MU within 4 seconds.

The one that really pissed me off was the toss in the second OT. It almost couldn't have been worse ... and then they called the sh!tty foul right after that. Infuriating.

Joplin definitely was fouled on his bucket near the end of regulation ... but the way things were going for us he would have missed the FT anyway (though I would have liked for him to have had the chance).

Still, I'm sticking with "refs were not good but Marquette didn't play well enough to win when the game was on the line." You can't give up offensive rebounds on 5 missed FTs, including 3x in the 2 OTs. You can't stop playing your offense for 7 minutes at the end of a close game. You can't refuse to use your timeouts when your team desperately needed to be coached up. Etc etc etc. None of that was the refs' fault.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »
I’m not shocked the team that lives at the free throw line got to the free throw line a ton while the finesse team didn’t get to the line as much.
Marquette was not a finesse team last night. Sigh.