Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8645882 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/16
« Reply #3775 on: September 15, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
5 Star PF Jaren Jackson Jr. to Michigan State this morning. Puts Purdue and Marquette in a little bit better of a position for Tillman

I saw him and Tillman are AAU teammates. Not sure if it helps or hurts.

Of the guys we are going after, it seems Tillman is the most ready to contribute right away. Is that the feeling or is someone else?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/16
« Reply #3776 on: September 15, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »

Again...look at what Wisconsin has done. Other than being gifted with relatively easy B10 schedules every year..how have they kept it going with no drop off? It's not like they are pulling in All Americans either. It sickens me to no end to see the success they are having(sadly no end in sight) and looking at where MU is with a MUCH richer BB tradition. Want a better example? Xavier. They keep it going..

The difference in both cases is head coach stability.  Marquette had two head coaches leave in the space of six years and both times very good recruiting classes came apart as a consequence.  That takes time to recover from, especially when Buzz had two poor recruiting years just prior to leaving.  My only concern about Wojo is the chance that he will leave for Duke When Coach K retires potentially disrupting the program's stability once again.

Xavier had a coaching change one year after Crean left when Sean Miller left for Arizona.  However, Miller didn't steal the recruits and Xavier hired Chris Mack from within to provide continuity.  Bo left during the year last year, but did so under circumstances that made it difficult for his top assistant Gard not to get the job.  And, of course, Bo retired, so there was no problem with recruits following him to another destination.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3777 on: September 15, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »
Lots of crystal balls to Purdue!

This would be an example of when crystal ball is useless. Purdue could certainly win but this is purely about CBers thinking he's not going to MSU so they make a guess between the two other programs.

I feared Michigan State. I don't fear Purdue. I really like our chances. However, Michigan State only has two big men on its roster for 2017, Ward and now Jackson. They still have room for Tillman to get some good bench minutes. Especially if Langford and Bridges go pro.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:57:13 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3778 on: September 15, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »
The difference in both cases is head coach stability.  Marquette had two head coaches leave in the space of six years and both times very good recruiting classes came apart as a consequence.  That takes time to recover from, especially when Buzz had two poor recruiting years just prior to leaving.  My only concern about Wojo is the chance that he will leave for Duke When Coach K retires potentially disrupting the program's stability once again.

I would love to get to the point where I'm concerned about this.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3779 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
This would be an example of when crystal ball is useless. Purdue could certainly win but this is purely about CBers thinking he's not going to MSU so they make a guess between the two other programs.

I feared Michigan State. I don't fear Purdue. I really like our chances.

I think that's right.  Right now nobody knows, probably including Tillman.  I think it's good that kids go through the process.  Even for 'normal' high school kids there's nothing like visiting the campus and getting a real feel for the place.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3780 on: September 15, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Stan's the man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3781 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
I think that's right.  Right now nobody knows, probably including Tillman.  I think it's good that kids go through the process.  Even for 'normal' high school kids there's nothing like visiting the campus and getting a real feel for the place.

Yep. And I like that we're the last visit and Purdue will have been a month ago. I actually still worry more about MSU than Purdue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3782 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
Yeah, I don't see how MSU is necessarily eliminated.  But I have to admit, I like our chances a hell of a lot more than a couple days ago.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #3783 on: September 15, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
I would love to get to the point where I'm concerned about this.

Paradoxically, that's where we want to be.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #3784 on: September 15, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
I think Buzz was/is a good coach and motivator but he had a ton of misses on players right out of
HS. He lucked out with Jucos and tough love and a core of them progressed fast on the court. So far with Wojo and staff last year I really did not see big improvement on a roster filled with 4* players, I still think hes unsure what to do in certain situations with a unbalanced roster and needs
a mentor or someone with more experience behind him on the bench instead of his buddies.

More than a mentor I think that Wojo needs a roster that provides him with real options.  Will this year be the year?  He'll have numbers with some experience for the first time.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #3785 on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »
Guys,  the Wojo vs. Buzz thread is over there. Somewhere. But it ain't here.

You just have to face facts, glow, your thread is pretty much the only thing going right now.

So, what's everybodys favorite pizza/beer combo?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3786 on: September 15, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
I wonder how Jaren Jackson signing with MSU will affect Tillman's decision.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3787 on: September 15, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
I wonder how Jaren Jackson signing with MSU will affect Tillman's decision.
You are there in Grand Rapids, which way do you think the winds are blowing? Do we know what the relationship is between the two kids. Are they best buds or rivals?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3788 on: September 15, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »
I never bet against Izzo. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3789 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
Hasahn French narrowed to final 6. We made the cut

https://twitter.com/Hasahn22/status/776394432480501760

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3790 on: September 15, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »
I have great respect for his mother. A very shrewd lady who was a Big Ten player herself . So she understands the ins and outs of this process better than most parents. The winner on this recruit is the one who will make the case that they offer young Xavier the best path to the NBA.

....dude....
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3791 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »
You just have to face facts, glow, your thread is pretty much the only thing going right now.

So, what's everybodys favorite pizza/beer combo?

;D

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3792 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Hasahn French narrowed to final 6. We made the cut

https://twitter.com/Hasahn22/status/776394432480501760

The Gopher board will be in meltdown if he doesn't pick 'em.

Edit: Pretty funny to see a guy on the Gopher board claim that Minnesota is the only team from a power conference that still on his list only to have 2-3 guys immediately remind him that MU is in the BEast and is still looking for Bigs!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 12:18:54 PM by jsglow »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #3793 on: September 15, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
The Gopher board will be in meltdown if he doesn't pick 'em.

Edit: Pretty funny to see a guy on the Gopher board claim that Minnesota is the only team from a power conference that still on his list only to have 2-3 guys immediately remind him that MU is in the BEast and is still looking for Bigs!   ;D

My fave from their board:

Guy 1: As a Marquette alum, I don't count the Big East as a power conference any longer. For me it's 5 conferences: B1G, Big12, SEC, Pac-12, and ACC.

Guy 2: That's a strange thought, considering that the Big East had 5 bids last year (more than the SEC), had 4 teams advance to the second round (T-2nd with the Big Ten) and had, you know, the National Champion.

And in 2015, they had 6 bids (tied for 3rd) and had 4 teams win their opening game (again tied for 3rd).

There's no credible argument to be made that the Big East isn't a power conference, but the SEC is. Just a bizarre take.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3794 on: September 15, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
My fave from their board:

Guy 1: As a Marquette alum, I don't count the Big East as a power conference any longer. For me it's 5 conferences: B1G, Big12, SEC, Pac-12, and ACC.

Guy 2: That's a strange thought, considering that the Big East had 5 bids last year (more than the SEC), had 4 teams advance to the second round (T-2nd with the Big Ten) and had, you know, the National Champion.

And in 2015, they had 6 bids (tied for 3rd) and had 4 teams win their opening game (again tied for 3rd).

There's no credible argument to be made that the Big East isn't a power conference, but the SEC is. Just a bizarre take.

Maybe the Minnesota alum should look at that old Barn they play in, and what the Minnesota kids think of there coach.  Lost all the top kids this year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3795 on: September 15, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
Let's not pick too much on our chilly neighbors to the north.  Just remember, they get to lose a football game this weekend too.   ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3796 on: September 15, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
Maybe the Minnesota alum should look at that old Barn they play in, and what the Minnesota kids think of there coach.  Lost all the top kids this year.

"Lost" perhaps one. Most who are going to school out of state simply weren't priorities for Minn.

Their vs. there
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3797 on: September 15, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »
"Lost" perhaps one. Most who are going to school out of state simply weren't priorities for Minn.

Their vs. there

Gophers had no interest in Gary Trent Jr, Nate Reuvers or Jericho Sims?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3798 on: September 15, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #3799 on: September 15, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »

Xavier had a coaching change one year after Crean left when Sean Miller left for Arizona.  However, Miller didn't steal the recruits and Xavier hired Chris Mack from within to provide continuity.  Bo left during the year last year, but did so under circumstances that made it difficult for his top assistant Gard not to get the job.  And, of course, Bo retired, so there was no problem with recruits following him to another destination.

I firmly believe that Wojo does not want to be the coach to follow Coach K.

Now, the coach that follows the coach who follows Coach K, that's another question.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...