[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Titletown U.S.A.  (Read 23528 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Titletown U.S.A.
« on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:48 PM »
The fact that ESPN is even attempting to turn this into a story this summer angers me, being a diehard Packer fan.  Green Bay, WI is and ALWAYS will be Titletown, U.S.A. because there is no other city/town in all of professional sports that lives through their team the way Green Bay does, past, present, and future.  And that past includes an NFL record 12 world championships.  To start going into different sports (especially college sports) and comparing the raw number of championships doesn't do the concept of "Titletown, U.S.A." justice. 

Furthermore, something I didn't know until recently is that the term Titletown, U.S.A. is actually a registered trademark of the Green Bay Packers, which could essentially mean that they could take ESPN to court if they chose to do so.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=oi0rj9.2.10

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Titletown U.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »
1, 2, 3, Favre
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
ummm no, they couldn't take espn to court.  they are not using the term for any financial gain.  it'd be like if they took you to court for starting this thread, which is for the mere purposes of creating a discussion, which is all ESPN is trying to do.  

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:32:14 PM »
The fact that ESPN is even attempting to turn this into a story this summer angers me, being a diehard Packer fan.  And that past includes an NFL record 12 world championships.  To start going into different sports (especially college sports) and comparing the raw number of championships doesn't do the concept of "Titletown, U.S.A." justice. 

Remove the green and gold sun glasses, who says they can't include multiple professional sports franchises?  Just because including those drops Green Bay down near the bottom of the list where you don't want to see them doesn't mean they're wrong in doing so.

http://www.nuttyaboutsports.com/cities-of-champions.shtml

This link shows the most championships by each city and for example, NY has 32 baseball championships so if you were a Yankee fan or a Mets fan you could argue against including football championships in the equation. (Although with last year I'm sure they wouldn't)
Boston has won 17 NBA championships
Montreal has won 26 Hockey Championships

Some of these championships I would argue against like the CFL for Canadien cities but a "world" championship is still a title and should be included in the decision.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
Remove the green and gold sun glasses, who says they can't include multiple professional sports franchises?  Just because including those drops Green Bay down near the bottom of the list where you don't want to see them doesn't mean they're wrong in doing so.

http://www.nuttyaboutsports.com/cities-of-champions.shtml

This link shows the most championships by each city and for example, NY has 32 baseball championships so if you were a Yankee fan or a Mets fan you could argue against including football championships in the equation. (Although with last year I'm sure they wouldn't)
Boston has won 17 NBA championships
Montreal has won 26 Hockey Championships

Some of these championships I would argue against like the CFL for Canadien cities but a "world" championship is still a title and should be included in the decision.

Where does that website get its data?  Green Bay has 6 professional football championships?   Yeah, if this data was taken between 1944 and 1961. Then Green Bay proceeded to win 5 in 7 years (something that STILL hasn't been replicated in the NFL) and added another in 1996.   

ESPN can make news out of nothing, and find their own "TitleCity."  That's fine.  But Titletown, U.S.A. is Green Bay, Wisconsin and there's nothing they can ever do to change that. 

It has nothing to do with Green and Gold goggles, it just has to do with a city living through its championships and past (as well as present and future) glory. 

In a city with 8.2 million people, if the New York Yankees don't win the World Series or the Knicks miss the playoffs, life will go on and many people won't give a damn.  Times Square will still be bustling, people will be walking the streets doing business on cell phones. It looks that way any time of year, at any time of day. 

Go to Green Bay on a Sunday afternoon in autumn and try going to a mall.  There's no one there.  Grocery stores?  Many are closed for 3 hours Sunday afternoon.  Go within 5 miles of the stadium, you'll find the party, and just maybe understand that Titletown U.S.A. isn't a right or a namesake, but a lifestyle.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:19:05 PM »
ummm no, they couldn't take espn to court.  they are not using the term for any financial gain.  it'd be like if they took you to court for starting this thread, which is for the mere purposes of creating a discussion, which is all ESPN is trying to do.  

ESPN is traveling to each of their 20 final cities in July.. do you think they little party they throw during the broadcast is just gonna be a nice little free schindig?  ESPN doesn't do things if it doesn't make ESPN money.  You can bet they'll cut a good sized profit resulting from this promotion.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:32:41 PM »
Trust me PX, there's more to see outside the friendly confines of Green Bay...I'm sure you love your lil' town and the culture surrounding football but, again, you're a self proclaimed packer fan so you've got a little bias towards it.  There's fannatics everywhere for every team in every city.  Have you ever gone to a UGA football game?  Or any SEC Football game for that matter.  The tailgating atmosphere is pretty amazing at those events.
And the town shutting down for each game?  I know a lot of high schools that cause that same phenomenon to happen in their home town should I contact them and let them know that Green Bay wants it's culture back?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:41:37 PM by muarmy81 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
You sound like a typical Bears fan.   ;)  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »
Trust me PX, there's more to see outside the friendly confines of Green Bay...I'm sure you love your lil' town and the culture surrounding football but, again, you're a self proclaimed packer fan so you've got a little bias towards it.  There's fannatics everywhere for every team in every city.  Have you ever gone to a UGA football game?  Or any SEC Football game for that matter.  The tailgating atmosphere is pretty amazing at those events.
And the town shutting down for each game?  I know a lot of high schools that cause that same phenomenon to happen in their home town should I contact them and let them know that Green Bay wants it's culture back?

There are towns all across the south that shut down for high school football.  Friday Night Lights style.  And college football in the southeast is huge as well.  But Green Bay is unique in the professional sports world.  Kansas City and Pittsburgh come close.  The Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox have their tradition and their following, but that's in America's pasttime.  Football is America's game.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
My good friends you are forgetting one main point here.  Green Bay OWNS the Packers.  There is no fear of them ever being moved, having the name changed, having their colors changed etc.  The city is full of owners, myself living in Milwaukee having a share. 

No team, city, or school can claim the same.  NO ONE.  The fact that we do so much with so little is enough to call us Title town USA.  Throw in the fact that we own a record 12 NFL Championships and it becomes a no brainer.

There are no "Steinbrunner's" in Green Bay and when the Packers lose, everyone in the state loses.  In Chicago if the bears lose, who cares you have the cubs, white sox, black hawks, and that dumb soccer team to fall back on.  In New York it is the yankees, mets, jets, giants, knicks and im sure a wnba team, but i dont know.

Basically this contest will just reveal everything that every packer fan already knew and open the eyes of the rest of the country that Green Bay really is the place to be.

If you have never been to a pre-game tailgate at lambeau field then please refreain from talking in this thread because clearly you have no idea what Titletown USA is like.

GO PACK GO

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »
Not that I mind the Packers, being from Green Bay, but I don't understand the need for the constant "most championships" talk.  Most of the championships happened when there were like four teams.  The fact that the team can't move is great as are the ties to the community.  No other city lives and dies by how the team plays. Either I really don't get it after living in Green Bay for years, or "tradition" seems to be a poor excuse to explain all the things that make absolutely no sense. The "stock" thing is stupid-it might have had some validity when they issued stock in the 60's but the 90's "offering" was nothing more than a gimmick.  The only incentive to being a shareholder is sitting in an an annual PR charade once a year.  When they want some more money I'm sure they'll get some more people to pay $200 for a share though. 

I get the whole tailgating thing and the small town pride, and even the parking on people's lawns near the stadium.  That stuff sticks with you when you live in Green Bay and follow the team.  But some of it just never clicked with me, like how these people will watch 3 hours of "Packer shows" Monday and Tuesday nights that consist of players saying nothing about football and "Q&A" sessions consisting of little kids asking the players if they like playing football.  Only a matter of weeks until they are all glued to the TV every night for the "Training Camp Report" where you get pointless speculation on who's going to make the team, drunk guys calling in and asking idiotic questions,  and you get to learn the hobbies of players that they will be further enjoying when they are unemployed after they get cut two days later.  Watching this garbage isn't being a "true fan", it's a way of dealing with small town boredom.

And the last thing that bothers me is that Packer fans still hold a huge grudge against Javon Walker for wanting out of Green Bay.  Every team has holdouts and is put in the same situation every year; it's the NFL's ridiculous salary structure that somehow earns praise as being the best in sports.  Just because he decided to take advantage of that and not enjoy all Green Bay had to offer him is no reason to still hear fans talk about how "he had it coming" when his teammate died in his arms and now when he gets beaten unconscious.

LON

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
The fact that the greatest team accomplishment (in pro football) results in the Lombardi trophy alone proves why GB is Titletown.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:32:05 PM by LancesOtherNut »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:47:50 PM »
I think the next espn thing should be who is the real big apple. I mean why does NYC get a claim to this? or the next windy city.

Titletown USA is a marketing slogan that Green Bay claimed and ESPN is trying to usurp it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
Not that I mind the Packers, being from Green Bay, but I don't understand the need for the constant "most championships" talk.  Most of the championships happened when there were like four teams.  The fact that the team can't move is great as are the ties to the community.  No other city lives and dies by how the team plays. Either I really don't get it after living in Green Bay for years, or "tradition" seems to be a poor excuse to explain all the things that make absolutely no sense. The "stock" thing is stupid-it might have had some validity when they issued stock in the 60's but the 90's "offering" was nothing more than a gimmick.  The only incentive to being a shareholder is sitting in an an annual PR charade once a year.  When they want some more money I'm sure they'll get some more people to pay $200 for a share though. 

I get the whole tailgating thing and the small town pride, and even the parking on people's lawns near the stadium.  That stuff sticks with you when you live in Green Bay and follow the team.  But some of it just never clicked with me, like how these people will watch 3 hours of "Packer shows" Monday and Tuesday nights that consist of players saying nothing about football and "Q&A" sessions consisting of little kids asking the players if they like playing football.  Only a matter of weeks until they are all glued to the TV every night for the "Training Camp Report" where you get pointless speculation on who's going to make the team, drunk guys calling in and asking idiotic questions,  and you get to learn the hobbies of players that they will be further enjoying when they are unemployed after they get cut two days later.  Watching this garbage isn't being a "true fan", it's a way of dealing with small town boredom.

And the last thing that bothers me is that Packer fans still hold a huge grudge against Javon Walker for wanting out of Green Bay.  Every team has holdouts and is put in the same situation every year; it's the NFL's ridiculous salary structure that somehow earns praise as being the best in sports.  Just because he decided to take advantage of that and not enjoy all Green Bay had to offer him is no reason to still hear fans talk about how "he had it coming" when his teammate died in his arms and now when he gets beaten unconscious.

AMEN!!

This should be permanently put in the wiki and pinned to the top of the board.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
Just because GB established themselves as "Titletown" years ago doesn't mean things can't change or that the term is true.  Look at WI for example:  "the dairy state", yet CA produces more dairy than WI does...should CA take WI to court?  GA is the “peach state” yet SC produces more peaches than GA, is there an on going litigation battle between the 2 states? No.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »
Just because GB established themselves as "Titletown" years ago doesn't mean things can't change or that the term is true.  Look at WI for example:  "the dairy state", yet CA produces more dairy than WI does...should CA take WI to court?  GA is the “peach state” yet SC produces more peaches than GA, is there an on going litigation battle between the 2 states? No.

yeah, but you dont see california calling itself the dairy state or south carolina the peach state. i hope you are intelligent enough to see this.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
yeah, but you dont see california calling itself the dairy state or south carolina the peach state. i hope you are intelligent enough to see this.

The point I'm trying to make is that CA or SC aren't that caught up in fussing over "slogans" because they've got much more going for them then some silly slogan.  Lord knows nobody outside of WI cares about what's going on in GB let alone what the "city slogan" is.  Good god, I never knew GB would exhibit so much crying and moaning over an idiotic ESPN installment.  But I guess if the only thing you've got going for you is some silly title and a handful of championships from the 20s, 30s, and early 60s then by all means take them to court, file a petition, write your congressman, hold a rally, I mean we can really change the world 1 slogan at a time!!!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:17:32 PM by muarmy81 »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
The point I'm trying to make is that CA or SC aren't that caught up in fussing over "slogans" because they've got much more going for them then some silly slogan.  Lord knows nobody outside of WI cares about what's going on in GB let alone what the "city slogan" is.  Good god, I never knew GB would exhibit so much crying and moaning over an idiotic ESPN installment.  But I guess if the only thing you've got going for you is some silly title and a handful of championships from the 20s, 30s, and early 60s then by all means take them to court, file a petition, write your congressman, hold a rally, I mean we can really change the world 1 slogan at a time!!!  ::)

Umm....CA does fuss over it, esp. with dairy. You have seen the Happy Cows ads havent you?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »
Which is funny since those ads are filmed in WI. And muarmy, have you ever talked to someone from GB? They care about very little outside of the Packers.  As soon as the mini camps start, people are predicting what the upcoming season will hold. It's like nothing else.  GB residents cover football more than ESPN does w/ it's stupid NFL tonight coverage in March and April.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 04:19:01 PM »
Not that I mind the Packers, being from Green Bay, but I don't understand the need for the constant "most championships" talk.

Refresh me if I am wrong, but I do believe that TITLETOWN is the name of the comptetition so TITLES are all that matter!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »

Do the Eagles still boo and gripe about T.O?  yup
Do the Raiders still boo and gripe about Randy Moss? yup
Did the Phillies just boo JD Drew when he was in town because he didn't sign with them in 1997? yup
Do the Red Sox still boo and gripe about Johnny Damon? yup

care for me to go on... teams boo players that are traitors... hell look at us on here, we still gripe about Tom Crean leaving Marquette... it happens in sports.

As for ESPN trying to change Titletown... its a joke, we know who is titletown, its Green Bay, ESPN knows that...

muarmy81... your a Bears fan, and you despise everything Packers, it's like me being a Brewers fan and despising everything Cubs... thats how it goes...

The title of Titletown is the Green Bay Packers, it has been for decades... like someone has stated on here... next year are we going to decide which city is the Windy city?  because I guarantee there is some town in Kansas or Iowa which will compete for being more "windy".. however people from Chicago will bitch till no tomorrow... its a name that is with the city, just like Titletown is for Green Bay.

If ESPN makes any other city Titletown, numerous letters will be sent to that station.  Hey, how about we start the which station is the "world wide leader in sports" station?  See how ESPN enjoys that one.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
Setanta sports would dominate.  ;)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Do the Eagles still boo and gripe about T.O?  yup
Do the Raiders still boo and gripe about Randy Moss? yup
Did the Phillies just boo JD Drew when he was in town because he didn't sign with them in 1997? yup
Do the Red Sox still boo and gripe about Johnny Damon? yup

And the Brewers booed Sheffield when he returned to Milwaukee more than a decade later.  But "boo and gripe" is part of hte game.  Comments like "he had it coming" and "serves him right" when a player has a teammate die in his arms and when he gets beaten unconscious is need for a reality check.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:09 AM »

Actually California does very heavy promotions here about being the dairy capital of the US.  California Cheese, etc.

Maybe there should be some truth in advertising...shouldn't title town be some place like New York where the Yankees, Knicks, Islanders, Rangers, Mets, Giants, Jets all have titles.  Or any number of other places?

I get the history...it's cute and really I don't care.....as long as we all know America's Team is in Dallas.   ;D 

Chili

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »
Actually California does very heavy promotions here about being the dairy capital of the US.  California Cheese, etc.

Maybe there should be some truth in advertising...shouldn't title town be some place like New York where the Yankees, Knicks, Islanders, Rangers, Mets, Giants, Jets all have titles.  Or any number of other places?

I get the history...it's cute and really I don't care.....as long as we all know America's Team is in Dallas.   ;D 

Chico, as a marketing professional I know you know the difference between happy cheese comes from happy cow from America's daily land. i didn't see many California cheese ad's in Scottsdale last week during my golf trip last week - yes I know hot - but I still did not see any. My point was that Wisconsin has been and always will be know America's Dairyland due historical significance and the historical weight they have gained. Its intirsic value.

feedback