collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Titletown U.S.A.  (Read 23526 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Titletown U.S.A.
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
The Bears have one of the smallest stadium capacities in the NFL. What difference does that make though? It has nothing to do with the amount of people that want to go to Bears games.

You're foolish if you don't think the Bears (along with the Redskins, Cowboys) have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL. There's a reason a mediocre Bears time is on in primetime as much as they are this year.

You're right the Bears do have one of the smallest stadiums in the NFL, which makes it all the more embarrassing that they can't fill it.

2005 (Super Bowl Year): Solder Field was 92.8% full for the year, 5th worst
2006 (Year after Super Bowl); Solder was 92.9% full for the year, 3rd worst

The numbers have been about as bad each year since 2002.

For the record, the Packers have led every year since 2002.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »
Seriously, are you clueless? In the history of internet posts, this is one of the most moronic things I've ever heard someone argue.

EVERY game has been a sell out. Every....single....one. I implore you to come out for the opener against Tampa and show me all these empty seats. As a former employee of the team and a current season ticket holder, your stats are useless and have ZERO foundation.

I can't even believe I'm arguing this, that's how dumb this is.

Is the green and gold Kool Aid not on ice today?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
Seriously, are you clueless? In the history of internet posts, this is one of the most moronic things I've ever heard someone argue.

EVERY game has been a sell out. Every....single....one. I implore you to come out for the opener against Tampa and show me all these empty seats. As a former employee of the team and a current season ticket holder, your stats are useless and have ZERO foundation.

I can't even believe I'm arguing this, that's how dumb this is.

Is the green and gold Kool Aid not on ice today?

Well you better call Stats Inc. then because they provide the numbers for ESPN and thats what they say.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2008, 07:27:49 PM »
If you're going to make an argument, at least know what the hell you're talking about. I called my old pals at the Bears and figured I was correct.

The Bears will always be around the 92.0-92.6% mark of capacity. Every year. All tickets sold.

The team does not take fans with purchased "seats" on the Miller Lite Party Deck, sideline passes, charitable suite passes, as figured into seat capacity. These people are paid customers accounting for paid attendance, but won't have a seat to fill. Therefore the Bears do not include them in capacity %.

If you're going to rely on some random espn.com attendance site, know what you're talking about first. Don't make some ridiculous comment trying to make it seem like one of the most popular teams in the NFL doesn't support their team.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
If you're going to make an argument, at least know what the hell you're talking about. I called my old pals at the Bears and figured I was correct.

The Bears will always be around the 92.0-92.6% mark of capacity. Every year. All tickets sold.

The team does not take fans with purchased "seats" on the Miller Lite Party Deck, sideline passes, charitable suite passes, as figured into seat capacity. These people are paid customers accounting for paid attendance, but won't have a seat to fill. Therefore the Bears do not include them in capacity %.

If you're going to rely on some random espn.com attendance site, know what you're talking about first. Don't make some ridiculous comment trying to make it seem like one of the most popular teams in the NFL doesn't support their team.
I didn't mean to anger you Dish as much as I have seem to have done, my initial point was simply to reply to sigep80's dig against the green and gold.

I'll admit when I'm beaten, obviously you have more knowledge than I on this subject, but I don't think espn.com is exactly a random site.  Although it does seem weird to me that the Bears would report their attendance different that other teams I'll take your word on it since you seem to be in the know.  I just figured the difference in capacity was due to no-shows or unused suite allotments. 

The Bears are a popular team (usually finish somewhere around 8 or 9 in Harris interactive poll of team popularity) but they have a long way to go in catching the Pack   ;D 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
No anger, I just can't tolerate too much ignorance.

The NFL doesn't count official attendance as any type of formal statistic, so those numbers you see on espn.com are misleading to a large degree.

The Bears don't count attendance any differently than anyone else. You see some teams count at over 100% capacity. Logically speaking, this should seem impossible, but these teams choose to count SRO's as above capacity (which is fine). The NFL doesn't care, as long as butts are in the seats and eyes are watching at home. The Jags can cover 10,000 seats, not sell them, and still have a "sell out".

JSwarriors08

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »
No anger, I just can't tolerate too much ignorance.

The NFL doesn't count official attendance as any type of formal statistic, so those numbers you see on espn.com are misleading to a large degree.

The Bears don't count attendance any differently than anyone else. You see some teams count at over 100% capacity. Logically speaking, this should seem impossible, but these teams choose to count SRO's as above capacity (which is fine). The NFL doesn't care, as long as butts are in the seats and eyes are watching at home. The Jags can cover 10,000 seats, not sell them, and still have a "sell out".

Wow, Dish... Relax.  It's just a discussion, no need to get so angry.  JM brings up an interesting point and provided reliable statistics to back it.  Questioning the validity of the statistics is fine, and so is disagreeing... but tone down the anger and defensiveness.  I don't think he was attacking you, just starting a discussion.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »
I appreciate the concern, I'm really not angry at all. It's Bears/Packers talk, that's all there is to it.

The statistic was bogus, the NFL admits as much, it was a silly point to even bother bringing up I thought. My only point is if you're going to argue with a statistic, make sure it's something valid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »
Wow, Dish... Relax.  It's just a discussion, no need to get so angry.  JM brings up an interesting point and provided reliable statistics to back it.  Questioning the validity of the statistics is fine, and so is disagreeing... but tone down the anger and defensiveness.  I don't think he was attacking you, just starting a discussion.

How do you keep the weight off?  I mean, you've posted at least 10 times but still have 0 posts attributed to you....I need that diet.   ;)

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »
And the tailgating at Soldier Field is much better than in GB.  Better defined as starting earlier, lasting later and a more diverse menu.   Granted, I've only been to one game in GB, but I'd always heard about what great tailgating there was in GB, and what I saw of it was weak.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »
I just try to watch my carb intake...

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
And the tailgating at Soldier Field is much better than in GB.  Better defined as starting earlier, lasting later and a more diverse menu.   Granted, I've only been to one game in GB, but I'd always heard about what great tailgating there was in GB, and what I saw of it was weak.

Yeeaahhh, I'm gonna have to go ahead and, ah, disagree with you on that one. Granted, I've only been to one game at Soldier Field (Packers-Bears New Years Eve 2006. Great game. Great night), but I guess my experience at Soldier Field was much like yours at Lambeau.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
How do you keep the weight off?  I mean, you've posted at least 10 times but still have 0 posts attributed to you....I need that diet.   ;)

I think the moderators set the site so posts at the Superbar don't count towards your total # of posts.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2008, 10:23:39 AM »
I appreciate the concern, I'm really not angry at all. It's Bears/Packers talk, that's all there is to it.

The statistic was bogus, the NFL admits as much, it was a silly point to even bother bringing up I thought. My only point is if you're going to argue with a statistic, make sure it's something valid.

Next time I post a statistic I'll go ahead and email the provider to make sure its valid, I mean who reads espn.com anyways?   :D

Also, just wanted to note that the Bears are about as half as popular as the Packers are!!!

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
And the tailgating at Soldier Field is much better than in GB.  Better defined as starting earlier, lasting later and a more diverse menu.   Granted, I've only been to one game in GB, but I'd always heard about what great tailgating there was in GB, and what I saw of it was weak.

*snort*

Lambeau Field is the tailgating capital of the WORLD.  I was up there today for TRAINING CAMP and the entire parking lot on the side of the Oneida Gate was completely full of tailgaters, many with full tent setups, multiple grills (both propane and charcoal) and a wide variety of goodies, ranging from t-bone steaks to brats to lamb chops.  And this is on a non-game day.  You must not have been looking in the right places.  Was there a driving rain storm or something?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »
*snort*

Lambeau Field is the tailgating capital of the WORLD.  I was up there today for TRAINING CAMP and the entire parking lot on the side of the Oneida Gate was completely full of tailgaters, many with full tent setups, multiple grills (both propane and charcoal) and a wide variety of goodies, ranging from t-bone steaks to brats to lamb chops.  And this is on a non-game day.  You must not have been looking in the right places.  Was there a driving rain storm or something?

Did you happen to catch the classy Packers fans with the "Hey Rodgers-Break A Leg!" and other signs that only "great" fans would bring to training camp? 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »
Did you happen to catch the classy Packers fans with the "Hey Rodgers-Break A Leg!" and other signs that only "great" fans would bring to training camp? 

You've been watching to much ESPN.  They love this drama, and you're buying it.  There was 9 or 10 guys walking around with a boom box playing a song called "We Love Brett Favre" and handing out fliers for the Brett Favre rally today before Family Night.  The other 13,000 people who showed up for practice yesterday were concerned and passionate about the 80 men on the roster, as they should be. 

Just a typical day during the football season in Green Bay, WI.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
You've been watching to much ESPN.  They love this drama, and you're buying it.  There was 9 or 10 guys walking around with a boom box playing a song called "We Love Brett Favre" and handing out fliers for the Brett Favre rally today before Family Night.  The other 13,000 people who showed up for practice yesterday were concerned and passionate about the 80 men on the roster, as they should be. 

Just a typical day during the football season in Green Bay, WI.

I was in Green Bay on Saturday.  I saw the signs in person at training camp, and found it disgusting.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2008, 09:20:16 AM »
I was in Green Bay on Saturday.  I saw the signs in person at training camp, and found it disgusting.

There's no denying the fan base is split, currently.  You can bet once September rolls around the focus will be on winning football games, which this team will be plenty capable of doing.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
PXIL, what difference would the weather make?  Are you saying that if it's raining the packer fans wouldn't be tailgaiting?

I'll stand by my earlier post.  We went to the packers/bears game in early Dec., arrived at 8:00 am and found the parking lot's don't even open until 9:00.  We parked at the packer HOF lot, and were the first car in.  We were already eating breakfast by the time and the packer fans started showing up.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »
CAn anyone explain to me why the winner, Valdosta (?) GA, won this pathetic, waste of time, we-needed-something-to-fill-empty-time-slots segement. I never did hear/see why this place was titletown.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
PXIL, what difference would the weather make?  Are you saying that if it's raining the packer fans wouldn't be tailgaiting?

I'll stand by my earlier post.  We went to the packers/bears game in early Dec., arrived at 8:00 am and found the parking lot's don't even open until 9:00.  We parked at the packer HOF lot, and were the first car in.  We were already eating breakfast by the time and the packer fans started showing up.

How long ago was this game? Just curious. The Packers HOF has been housed inside Lambeau Field since 2003.  In any case, the lot does not open until 9, you are correct.  Tailgating usually starts around 6 AM (in some cases, I've seen earlier) in local church or grocery store parking lots as well as the back yards of most local residents, sometimes up to a few miles away from the stadium.  They gradually grow closer, and by 9 AM, the entire town is in some sort of tailgate mode, and that doesn't JUST encompass those with parking passes for the Lambeau lot.  It's a legitimate city wide tailgate.  If you're JUST in the general vicinity of the stadium (as you would have been by going to the Packers HOF lot), you're missing the broad scope of how large the tailgate actually is.  The diehards with parking passes don't show up at Lambeau until 9 because they're aware that's when the lot opens, and it's completely feasible that they're at a pre-tailgate tailgate not too far from the stadium. 

I wish I still had a picture from Super Bowl XXXII.  It's of about a thousand Packer fans who braved the Lambeau parking lot during a snow squall to tailgate and watch the game (in San Diego) on TV via generator.  It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2008, 02:00:07 AM »
CAn anyone explain to me why the winner, Valdosta (?) GA, won this pathetic, waste of time, we-needed-something-to-fill-empty-time-slots segement. I never did hear/see why this place was titletown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3508790

and

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/titletown/index

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
Thank you Chico.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

feedback