[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana is falling appart  (Read 16419 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Indiana is falling appart
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
Potted pants being flung, guess that's what happens when Crean has a ture 5 on his team.  haHAAA... i kill me:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3377706

half way through there is a mention that this could potentially cost them two more scholarships.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Indiana is falling appart
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
The Big Ten is going to be a monster conference again next year.   ::)  4 teams again, 5 if they are lucky going to the dance.

IU returns about 10 points per game scoring....WOW!!   :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:25:32 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
It is now official, Bassett, Ellis, Thomas and Holman all gone, per the TC/Katz PR machine.    "Before you build a team, you need to develop a family," Crean said in a statement Friday.   TC was a right hire for IU's mess...but with scholie restrictions coming, you have to wonder if he extracted enough money and years to rebuild.  Northwestern wil beat them twice next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3378521

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
It is now official, Bassett, Ellis, Thomas and Holman all gone, per the TC/Katz PR machine.    "Before you build a team, you need to develop a family," Crean said in a statement Friday.   TC was a right hire for IU's mess...but with scholie restrictions coming, you have to wonder if he extracted enough money and years to rebuild.  Northwestern wil beat them twice next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3378521

I think the NCAA goes light on them, especially after this.  They will feel they've been "punished enough" is my guess.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »
Couldn't happen to a nicer prick.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »
Make and example of them

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »
He probably enjoys running them off. Lots of experience with that plus it makes his resurrection job look that much better.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:31:29 PM »
Just reading that article makes you depressed to be a Hoosier fan, it also makes you think why anyone would want to leave their old team which was ranked in the top 20 and would have their top 4 scorers back next year...I mean all joking aside, who thinks that is a smart career move?  That's like Pitino leaving Louisville to go to the NBA...oh wait.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
Make and example of them

Name the last MAJOR program that was made an example of?  Just doesn't happen.  If this was Southwest Texas State, yeah they would go on 5 years probation.  My guess is IU gets a slap on the hand.

They'll win 10 games next year

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:52:13 PM »
Just reading that article makes you depressed to be a Hoosier fan, it also makes you think why anyone would want to leave their old team which was ranked in the top 20 and would have their top 4 scorers back next year...I mean all joking aside, who thinks that is a smart career move?  That's like Pitino leaving Louisville to go to the NBA...oh wait.

You have to look at it 5 or 10 years from now, not today.  In one sense, will IU ever be this bad again?  Probably not.  The expectations are in the basement, he'll run a clean program (which IU fans are craving for, it's part of their DNA), and the million raise won't hurt either.

Short term, yeah it's going to be a head scratcher.  Long term, it will likely end up being a smart career move.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
Name the last MAJOR program that was made an example of? 

Kentucky

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
SMU

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
SMU

Football is a different animal than hoops......consider big NCAA penalties at:  Oklahoma, Miami, Florida, Colorado, Texas A&M, et al.

In hoops, the NCAA shows far more discretion (er, a blind eye)

Other than Kentucky getting clobbered by the NCAA during the Sutton era, its difficult to find a truly notable hoops program that was hammered by the NCAA enforcement folks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:12:29 PM by NYWarrior »

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
the million raise won't hurt either.

Short term, yeah it's going to be a head scratcher.  Long term, it will likely end up being a smart career move.

I understand the money and the low expectations but long term, looking at his ability as a pure coach I don't think the chances are high that this is a smart move.  Risky?  Yes.  Smart?  Maybe, with high risk comes high reward...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
I don't think TC will be too upset about all this.  He has plenty of scholies to hand out, and can immediately put his stamp on the program and mold it his way now.  If he has a good year next year, then he is a hero.  This really is not bad for TC. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:29:48 PM »
I understand the money and the low expectations but long term, looking at his ability as a pure coach I don't think the chances are high that this is a smart move.  Risky?  Yes.  Smart?  Maybe, with high risk comes high reward...

What is risky about this for him?  
Worst case senario:
With the team in shambles the AD will not expect results for the next three years.  (fans will want it earlier) If they are still bad after three he might get fired and then end up getting a job two weeks later coaching a bottom tear program in a major conference and he'll have a chance to try and build it up to an MU level.  Oh, the horrors

But that isn't going to happen, he's going to be able to spend all of 08 telling every 09 kid he meets that they will have significant playing time at Indiana as a freshman.  He was able to bring in the big three here using that same mantra, he'll have better results there.  He'll be able to get better players than he did here in a weeker conference.  By 2010 his team will be competeing for the Big 11 title.  That will translate to even better players and teams that will contend for the national title, something he couldn't do here because he isn't that good, but he can in Indiana.

100% smart move in the long run (and by that i mean 3 years from now)

Pardner

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 02:41:14 PM »
I think the NCAA goes light on them, especially after this.  They will feel they've been "punished enough" is my guess.
Good point...this is part of the pr move to show the NCAA that IU is "clamping" down on academics in advance of the hearing...while TC extends his honeymoon and rids himself of players he never wanted.  Miles Brand will be hard pressed to clamp down on IU, but in this case (a hire with a shady history, lack of oversight on that hire with continued violations, and the Huggins poor academic performance), the school should be penalized.  The facade of their self-imposed recruiting penalty is just further proof the AD has blame in this mess--despite his lame claims that he had nothing to do with Sampson's hire.  If IU gets off without a major penalty, the NCAA is just a paper tiger. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »
I think this makes it easier for the NCAA to appear to clamp down on IU. They could ban Indiana from NCAA tournament for two years. They are not going to make the tournament the next two years anyways, so the only real punishment is the perception that may hurt recruiting.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »
You have to look at it 5 or 10 years from now, not today.  In one sense, will IU ever be this bad again?  Probably not.  The expectations are in the basement, he'll run a clean program (which IU fans are craving for, it's part of their DNA), and the million raise won't hurt either.

I agree 100% with what you said.

Even though in other threads i called Crean a scumbag (for going after our recruits).  I do think he will run a clean program and he will get his priorities straight there and more importantly, his players will have their priorities straight.  If he manages to achieve that, he will be successful.  I do not know if he will be able to meet the future expectations of the Hoosier fans but he will build a successful program there. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
I'm not saying that they will make and example of IU, but they should. When you break the rules repeatedly and seemingly with no concern for consequences, there need to be serious repercussions to rid the NCAA of the Kelvin Sampsons of its ranks.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »

Long term you would think this is a good career move, or at least has the potential to be one. The huge problem staring Crean in the face, especially with everything going on, will be convincing in-state recruits to come there, which as Chicos knows is 70% of what IU basketball means to that state. If Crean doesn't get the Oden/Zeller types to come to IU, he is going to be up against it. Funny thing is, if Crean doesn't change, Oden or Zeller would likely NEVER go to IU under Crean, there's no way. A big like either one of those guys isn't going to max his potential playing for Crean, not in a million years.

Everyone assumes he'll be successful, but he has a gigantic challenge ahead of him. Two years in the tank, combined with Painter, Brey, Matta, Izzo, Weber, Pitino, Gillespie lucking around the state, he's got a ton of work to do.

The natives say they'll give him time to clean up that mess, but this is 2008, not 1988. If you're a college basketball coach, especially at a place like Indiana, you better win now. People are soon going to forget how much patience they were willing to offer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
Kentucky

Exactly....a LONG LONG time ago and that was payment to players.  This is about phone calls...they'll get a slap on the wrist.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 05:02:44 PM »
What sparked this reaction from a kid that was transferring?  Obviously, Tom is not responsible for IU's current situation.  So he must have been pushing his buttons or "building a family".  This is a guy who has a reputation for being a compelte douche to people around him.  TC was freaked that another kid would leave his happy home and pushed this kid to the brink.  It is ridiculous to think this guy was unprovoked.  I hope people start seeing TC for what he is...a manipulative, self promoter.

Is Joanie still trolling our boards?  Will this hurt my status as a season ticket holder?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
You can add to it that it looks like Marvin Harrison may be in big trouble with the police now as it relates to a shooting.

Quite a week in Indiana.

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »

By 2010 his team will be competeing for the Big 11 title.  That will translate to even better players and teams that will contend for the national title,

If that's the way the cookie crumbles, I'll eat my hat!   >:(