[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana is falling appart  (Read 16415 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: RE: Indiana Falling apart
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 11:32:50 AM »
I would never underestimate a program with IU's history. UCLA had up and downs post Wooden and are one of the top five programs in the country. Programs with history, which Illinois or Michigan do not have, always can rebuild. While I hope TC is not the guy who takes IU back to elite I do not believe they are done for life.

IU is probably prepared to go backwards for a couple of years to rebuild. Like TC or not building MU up is far tougher than rebuilding IU. Another major advantage is playing in Big Ten. If I was a coach I would take my chances rebuilding there than the BE.

Agreed. Walk into Asemby hall and see all the championship banners hanging. IU will be back, perhaps sooner than some may like.

muarmy81

• All American
Re: Indiana is falling appart
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
What is risky about this for him?  
Worst case senario:
With the team in shambles the AD will not expect results for the next three years.  (fans will want it earlier) If they are still bad after three he might get fired and then end up getting a job two weeks later coaching a bottom tear program in a major conference and he'll have a chance to try and build it up to an MU level.  Oh, the horrors

But that isn't going to happen, he's going to be able to spend all of 08 telling every 09 kid he meets that they will have significant playing time at Indiana as a freshman.  He was able to bring in the big three here using that same mantra, he'll have better results there.  He'll be able to get better players than he did here in a weeker conference.  By 2010 his team will be competeing for the Big 11 title.  That will translate to even better players and teams that will contend for the national title, something he couldn't do here because he isn't that good, but he can in Indiana.

100% smart move in the long run (and by that i mean 3 years from now)

I don't think there is any question that he'll be able to bring talented players to IU...I mean it is Indiana, sorry.  But with great talent and zero coaching I think he'll be exposed for the Marketing Guy he is and if that happens do you think any school on the level of Marquette will want to hire him?  No, he'll end up at Wagner University like Mike Deane or worse the NBDL like Quinn Synder...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
I don't think there is any question that he'll be able to bring talented players to IU...I mean it is Indiana, sorry.  But with great talent and zero coaching I think he'll be exposed for the Marketing Guy he is and if that happens do you think any school on the level of Marquette will want to hire him?  No, he'll end up at Wagner University like Mike Deane or worse the NBDL like Quinn Synder...

Zero coaching...come on.  That's your anger talking.  MU didn't have 4 and 5 star players under his regime, yet he still managed 31 Big East wins in 3 years, NCAAs three straight years, the second most wins in MU history.

Zero coaching might be more then a bit of stretch.  And when Diener, Wade and others are in the NBA telling recruits (not directly mind you) that he can coach, he's going to get players to go there.  He's not a great coach, but then again he didn't have the greatest talent.

At IU, he'll get great talent and low and behold, you watch how much of a better coach one becomes when you have better talent.   ;)

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2008, 01:34:33 PM »
Chicos nails it on the head yet again. Like TC or not the guy does great job preparing. The team and individual defense improved every year under him. He might not be a great game coach...but he knows ball. If he recruits better players, which I am not 100% convinced of, he will look like a heckuva coach in three years.

Personally I think TC is intimidated by the top name recruits. For all of his marketing skills everytime I talked to him I saw an insecure guy. I think that trait remains with him for life.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »
Zero coaching...come on.  That's your anger talking.  MU didn't have 4 and 5 star players under his regime, yet he still managed 31 Big East wins in 3 years, NCAAs three straight years, the second most wins in MU history.

Didn't have 4 Star players?  Just last year they had 5 of them, James, Matthews, McNeal, Hayward and Mbakwe were all 4 star recruits.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »
Anyone who thinks he is going to land 5 star recruits and not win the big 11 and have a top 10 teams is lying to themsleves. 
Anyone who thinks a guy who could recruit a team that would have had: dj, jm, wm, lh, Tm and EW isn't going to be able to get even better players to go to indiana is lying to themselves.

You can all keep your fingers crossed, imagine reasons, and clap if you believe in farries but he's going to do well there. 
That said, there's a chance he might not get to a final four in his first 6 years and get fired for it despite fielding good teams, getting to an e8 or two and winning the big 11, but he's going to do well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »
Didn't have 4 Star players?  Just last year they had 5 of them, James, Matthews, McNeal, Hayward and Mbakwe were all 4 star recruits.

My bad....I knew that too.  Kick me in the balls   ;)   My point was more about Ryan has more 4 and 5 star players on his squad recently then MU has had yet he gets treated like he's taken 10 CYO guys and threw them out there.

Not sure why in the hell I said no 4 star players....

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
Personally I think TC is intimidated by the top name recruits. For all of his marketing skills everytime I talked to him I saw an insecure guy. I think that trait remains with him for life.

He is The Outsider. He comes from the wrong side of the tracks. His father bolted when He was very young; there was no male presence in the home as He grew older - realizing linear progression without the concomitant maturity. He watched from afar, envying their nicer clothes, late model vehicles, and straight teeth. Summer time, when others were off to Europe, the lake house, or to the coast, He lingered behind, finding solace on the mean asphalt playgrounds. Even there He did not belong - lacking the physical attributes needed for success - but at least He did not feel so damned socially, economically and intellectually inferior - so much The Outsider, if you will.

Others went off to the better schools - private and prestigious - or even to the main campus in Ann Arbor. His path led down the road to the school that required a geographical reference for its name. He resented being there and sought vicarious association through volunteering at a smaller private school. It was there that He began to plot out His path to that other, more enticing world denied to Him from birth.

As He began to enter the bigger and better world He knew, deep down He knew, that He would always be The Outsider. He learned their ways, their mannerisms, and their aspirations; unfortunately, He never learned their ethical code, their values, their moral fiber. The white trash, trailer park upbringing was still there - a mere micron below the surface, papered over with tailored starched shirts. He compensated through bravado and crass huckstering. His vulgar roots often flashed ugly - at children's sporting events, behind closed doors at the state-of-the-art practice facility paid for by His social betters, and in countless other unseen interactions with the world to which he managed admission yet never truly understood.

Many left His court, traumatized by the unrefined sensibilities of The Outsider. His belligerence, the arrogance, were manifestations of one who knew He had entered a world that was not His. He lacked their refinement, their culture, their taste, their social maturity, and most telling, He never learned their sense of honor and its attendant dignity. He had gained admission but not acceptance. As He wandered the halls of His over done house, He knew that its decor lacked the finesse of the more tastefully appointed homes in His immediate neighborhood...

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008, 09:10:09 PM »
Thanks, Warthog, for the good read!  Like modern day Shakespeare -- a would-be-hero with a tragic flaw.   ;)