Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 18077 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Next Season
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2024, 07:57:54 AM »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2024, 08:02:33 AM »
DeCourcy hates us. Confirmed.

His list is hilarious. Villanova has basically no one and is ranked ahead of us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »
Next season could have been the Covid bonus year for Tyler, Oso, O-Max, and Justin.  Wild!

As it is, we'll see how Shaka shapes the roster for next year.  Very few reports linking Marquette to portal prospects, so I'm not expecting much of a shift in philosophy.

Off season player development will be the key.  Chase and Ben need to make big leaps, and the seniors all need to take on increased responsibility.  The rest of the roster needs to produce 2-3 players to provide depth.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2024, 08:48:29 AM »
His list is hilarious. Villanova has basically no one and is ranked ahead of us.

Well, they have Kyle Neptune.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2024, 09:23:26 AM »
People leaving/staying isn't going to matter if we can't fix our one major problem which was rebounding. The offense will likely be fine, but we will once again be undersized and crushed on the glass. If Shaka goes to the portal hopefully it is to fix issues that can't be fixed with the current roster.

This is a Shaka program. Wishing for strong rebounding is a waste of time.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2024, 10:04:14 AM »
I'll say it since no one else here will.

THERE IS NOT 1 PLAYER ON THE 2023/24 ROSTER THAT IS NBA READY. NOT 1.

At best the 3 that are most ready are a minimum of 1 year of college ball away and probably all 3 are G-League after next year.

If you truly think and believe through the lenses of your blue and gold colored glasses that this team has 3 NBA players on it then why don't they resemble a team like, I don't know, UCONN, who legitimately has NBA players on their roster?
How many did Purdue have on the floor last night?
No Finish Line

wombataholic

• Walk-On
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2024, 10:20:30 AM »
Well, they have Kyle Neptune.

Can you imagine how high they'd be ranked without him?  Easily #1 overall.  Probably better than most NBA teams as well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2024, 10:46:34 AM »
Regarding next year...

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1687135810468900864?s=61&t=6XPB8f4sAKmJIzxgMcsCjw

"Caedin Hamilton - super excited about him with us and he will be here to start school. He’s not going on this trip with us cause literally just happened in the last week and super excited about him getting here 6 foot 8, 6 foot nine. He’s got an unbelievable wingspan he unlike probably anyone on our current roster. He seeks out and enjoys and relish his contact really big body and he loves physicality and he’s a guy right now.

Our plan is to redshirt him to develop him and for him at this time next year to be ready to be a major impact player on our team. He’s a guy junior year he barely played for his high school team Played barely got off the bench and then a senior year. He let his team to the state championship average the double double so his trajectory right now is one of the best things he has gone for going like this 🚀 on top of that he’s high character comes from a family that cares about the right things and he wants to be part of a team values relationships, our kind of guy."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:57:18 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2024, 10:48:52 AM »
If Caedin can be more than a 10-12 mpg guy next year, I will be happy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2024, 10:59:19 AM »
I’d say Caedin plays 5 to 7 mins a game next year.  Max.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2024, 11:05:51 AM »
I’d say Caedin plays 5 to 7 mins a game next year.  Max.
My hot take. Hamilton will lead us in rebounding

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2024, 11:17:23 AM »
I don't expect more than an Amadou type role for Hamilton next season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2024, 11:20:03 AM »
There’s no harm in it, but Shaka is usually very rah-rah about his guys in general. My take is that if the staff thought Hamilton could have helped us win games last year, he wouldn’t have redshirted. Likely has a long way to go, but I’m optimistic.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2024, 11:23:01 AM »
I don't expect more than an Amadou type role for Hamilton next season

Well, he did "shoot" 100% for the year.  52 total minutes, and 6-6 on dunks!?!?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2024, 11:23:38 AM »
14 more minutes than freshman Oso.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2024, 11:29:16 AM »
14 more minutes than freshman Oso.

And 230% more scoring. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2024, 11:29:44 AM »
Good article in The Athletic about how UConn and Purdue - as well as the previous several national champions - have developed a blueprint for building title contenders in this NIL/transfer portal era.

https://theathletic.com/5401341/2024/04/09/uconn-national-title-purdue-roster-building-column/?

Shaka's philosophy is quite similar - recruit good players who want to work hard and get better, develop them, "re-recruit" them to keep them around for years. The main difference is that most of these teams have added a carefully selected player from the transfer portal, so it will be interesting to see if Shaka makes that happen.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2024, 11:38:19 AM »
With the one (currently) available scholarship, Shaka needs to find a player good enough to make the team better without wanting a bag drop.  Or without disrupting culture.    So, an overlooked low major or DII PG with size and versatility.  Preferably a one year rental.
  Joe Chartouny comes to mind.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2024, 11:42:02 AM »
With the one (currently) available scholarship, Shaka needs to find a player good enough to make the team better without wanting a bag drop.  Or without disrupting culture.    So, an overlooked low major or DII PG with size and versatility.  Preferably a one year rental.

Couldn't Dalton Knecht or Baylor Scheierman or even Cam Spencer come to mind?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2024, 11:49:40 AM »
Would any of them come for free or close to it?  Remember, Shaka was actually in on a back up center prior to season two until the player asked for a bag drop.   Shaka then pivoted to Wrightsil.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:51:31 AM by tower912 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2024, 12:01:35 PM »
I don't know the definition of "bag drop" these days.

Is $50K-100K so little that it's a joke? $250K? $500K? $1M?

How much would Tyler Kolek - an OK 2-guard for an OK A-10 team - have "demanded" had NIL been a thing all the way back in 2021? For that matter, how big of a "bag" would Chartouney have been able to get?

How much would, say, Ben Gold get from another program if he declared himself a free agent?

How much would Shaka be willing to pay to not upset his culture?

I have confidence that our fellow Scoopers can speculate but - no offense to any of us - little confidence that any of us actually know answers to questions like these.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2024, 12:12:44 PM »

Would a high-profile player with a large NIL value disrupt the culture?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2024, 12:15:43 PM »
I don't know the definition of "bag drop" these days.

Is $50K-100K so little that it's a joke? $250K? $500K? $1M?

How much would Tyler Kolek - an OK 2-guard for an OK A-10 team - have "demanded" had NIL been a thing all the way back in 2021? For that matter, how big of a "bag" would Chartouney have been able to get?

How much would, say, Ben Gold get from another program if he declared himself a free agent?

How much would Shaka be willing to pay to not upset his culture?

I have confidence that our fellow Scoopers can speculate but - no offense to any of us - little confidence that any of us actually know answers to questions like these.

I'll have Herman ask Quentin Grimes to get to the bottom of these numbers for us.  I'm confident Grimes knows people who could give him accurate figures.

Unless Rico is having lunch with Cal in Fayetteville first.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2024, 12:25:18 PM »
Would a high-profile player with a large NIL value disrupt the culture?
Evidence so far Indicates we will never know.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2024, 12:34:40 PM »
I'll have Herman ask Quentin Grimes to get to the bottom of these numbers for us.  I'm confident Grimes knows people who could give him accurate figures.

Unless Rico is having lunch with Cal in Fayetteville first.

Talked to Cal last night.  Things are pretty much done.  Don’t have time to do lunch with him today.  I’m in Augusta and Toby Wilt and I are having lunch on the grounds.  I’ll see if what he thinks about the portal.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback