Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83298 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #675 on: March 16, 2024, 07:37:08 AM »
Agreed TAMU, if he is fully healthy he should play.  A Big East title is big and would be remembered, especially back to back.  But if there is even a twinge or pull in that area, even without pain, he should rest till the first round of the NCAA tournament. I think that is universally accepted by the fan base.

That’s it exactly.  A BET championship is very much a big deal, but NCAA tournament deep runs, Final Fours, etc trumps everything in college basketball.  That’s what puts teams and coaches on the map and easily what you’re most remembered and known for. 

It’s all about making sure TK is as healthy and effective and close to 100%  as possible starting next week.  We all remember how great last year’s championship was, only for a major letdown in the tournament.  That feeling stuck for most more than the high of the conference championship I think.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #676 on: March 16, 2024, 07:40:23 AM »
If Tyler wasn't ready to play yesterday, I can't imagine he's ready today. 

With 3 games in 3 days, plus traveling back tonight after the game, I imagine tomorrow will be a pretty light day.  Get in the gym, get some shots up, but not a full practice.

My hope is Tyler is cleared to practice by Monday.  That gives him 4 days of practice to get up to speed.  He can shake off the game rust in round 1 against an inferior opponent.  By round 2, hopefully he's back in the groove.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #677 on: March 16, 2024, 08:02:43 AM »
Again, Jesus people. A BET Championship is not nothing. I'm also not certain a 1 seed is off the table (it probably is but I'd rather win and test that theory).

If he is good to go, he will play. No idea if he's good to go.

This. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #678 on: March 16, 2024, 08:36:05 AM »
What's our plan of attack tomorrow?

Outscore them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #679 on: March 16, 2024, 08:38:29 AM »
Wasn’t cleared yesterday. Coming off an injury that has sidelined him for over 2 weeks, that is rare in basketball. Game being played under 24 hours later. Won the thing last year. Locked into a 2 seed (and I was one of the few who thought a 2 seed was possible all along when most thought 3 seed lock and conference tourney no matta last year).

Yeah. Nothing to gain. Heck even if he went from unable to play yesterday to the strongest oblique ever seen to man in the span of mere hours, still nothing to gain and everything to lose today. It all starts next Thursday or Friday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #680 on: March 16, 2024, 08:52:46 AM »
Wasn’t cleared yesterday. Coming off an injury that has sidelined him for over 2 weeks, that is rare in basketball. Game being played under 24 hours later. Won the thing last year. Locked into a 2 seed (and I was one of the few who thought a 2 seed was possible all along when most thought 3 seed lock and conference tourney no matta last year).

Yeah. Nothing to gain. Heck even if he went from unable to play yesterday to the strongest oblique ever seen to man in the span of mere hours, still nothing to gain and everything to lose today. It all starts next Thursday or Friday.

100% agree.

That’s it exactly.  A BET championship is very much a big deal, but NCAA tournament deep runs, Final Fours, etc trumps everything in college basketball.  That’s what puts teams and coaches on the map and easily what you’re most remembered and known for. 

It’s all about making sure TK is as healthy and effective and close to 100%  as possible starting next week.  We all remember how great last year’s championship was, only for a major letdown in the tournament.  That feeling stuck for most more than the high of the conference championship I think.

And I think the bolded sums it up perfectly.  And, particularly given we won Big East tournament last year, which was great, but the high won't be as high winning it this year (given we did last year), and we need to make a run in the NCAA to get that monkey off the back of our program and Shaka.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #681 on: March 16, 2024, 08:53:33 AM »
If Tyler wasn't ready to play yesterday, I can't imagine he's ready today. 

With 3 games in 3 days, plus traveling back tonight after the game, I imagine tomorrow will be a pretty light day.  Get in the gym, get some shots up, but not a full practice.

My hope is Tyler is cleared to practice by Monday.  That gives him 4 days of practice to get up to speed.  He can shake off the game rust in round 1 against an inferior opponent.  By round 2, hopefully he's back in the groove.

I could see a situation where Tyler was ready Thursday but they didn't want to bring him back and play back to back to games. No idea if that's what's happening.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #682 on: March 16, 2024, 08:56:55 AM »

You are factually wrong. The have a BET championship to gain (and maybe a shot at a 1 seed). That is not nothing. Yes,  if there is significant risk of reinjury TKo should absolutely not play. But I'm glad the team doesn't have the same attitude as some of our fans
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #683 on: March 16, 2024, 09:08:28 AM »
TAMU all people are saying is that in their opinion, the potential upside isn’t worth the potential downside.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #684 on: March 16, 2024, 09:10:21 AM »
I can't remember what I've said and am not gonna look back, but if I said these games mean "nothing," I misspoke. A Big East championship isn't nothing. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it last year, and I'm already making my plans for tonight, so it's clearly not "nothing" to me ... and I'm guessing the same is true for most others here.

We're in the game, might as well win the effen thing!

But as is the case with a whole bunch of things, risk/reward matters. This team has been focused on winning the national title - not the BET - since before the season. That was the gist of Ben Steele's article this morning. We need Tyler Kolek 100% healthy going into the NCAA tournament, and for me, anyway, playing him tonight simply does not offer enough reward for the risk that would be presented. I understand, and respect, those who think otherwise.

We've now won 3 straight pressure-packed games without TK. The game before that streak started, we were down 5 to UConn, with the ball, with 30 seconds to play - despite no TK, despite UConn shooting the lights out, despite Oso and Ross still feeling some effects from their illnesses.

Not playing Kolek isn't saying, "We give up." It's keeping things in perspective and focusing on the big picture while giving the rest of the guys one more challenge.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #685 on: March 16, 2024, 09:13:11 AM »
TAMU all people are saying is that in their opinion, the potential upside isn’t worth the potential downside.

No they are saying "they have nothing to gain".

Everyone agrees that Tyler shouldn't play if theres significant risk of reinjury. That can be said without invalidating a BET championship
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #686 on: March 16, 2024, 09:16:51 AM »
If people felt they truly had nothing to gain, nobody would care about tonight even if Tyler were healthy. It’s all relative to the risk of reinjury.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #687 on: March 16, 2024, 09:19:51 AM »
Outscore them

Reako, Fook 'em ain't playin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #688 on: March 16, 2024, 09:22:44 AM »

Reako, Fook 'em ain't playin', aina?

So?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #689 on: March 16, 2024, 09:22:54 AM »
Not ready yesterday, ready today is illogical.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #690 on: March 16, 2024, 09:23:27 AM »

Everyone agrees that Tyler shouldn't play if theres significant risk of reinjury. That can be said without invalidating a BET championship

I wonder if UConn fans are saying there is nothing to gain by winning the BET tonight? They won the national championship last year and it still burns them that MU won the BE and BET.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #691 on: March 16, 2024, 09:26:23 AM »

Not playing Kolek isn't saying, "We give up." It's keeping things in perspective and focusing on the big picture while giving the rest of the guys one more challenge.

Yep.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #692 on: March 16, 2024, 09:29:01 AM »
I could see a situation where Tyler was ready Thursday but they didn't want to bring him back and play back to back to games. No idea if that's what's happening.

Correct.

Im in the camp dont play him today

But idk why people think its a "he wasnt cleared last night, how will he be cleared today" scenario. Thats not fully how it works
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #693 on: March 16, 2024, 09:30:07 AM »
If people felt they truly had nothing to gain, nobody would care about tonight even if Tyler were healthy. It’s all relative to the risk of reinjury.
Thats what some are saying
wades-"Yeah. Nothing to gain. Heck even if he went from unable to play yesterday to the strongest oblique ever seen to man in the span of mere hours, still nothing to gain and everything to lose today. It all starts next Thursday or Friday."

Vander- House money tomorrow.

Zero reason for Tyler to play - nothing to be gained.

Ramp it up in practice next well and let’s roll.

Others have said similar things-like the team experienced it last year. (Well Tre and Zaide haven't)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #694 on: March 16, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »

And when I say there is nothing to gain I mean the upside of winning the BET is not worth the risk of reinjury.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #695 on: March 16, 2024, 09:48:36 AM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2024, 09:52:37 AM »
So?
[/quote

Dreck, hey?

We know you’d prefer they lose and chances are, they will.  But your track record on these things is pretty terrible, so fingers crossed

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #697 on: March 16, 2024, 09:55:35 AM »
If we are talking risk/reward not being high enough why not play the walk ons the whole game? Stevie has been laid out 3 times in two games and looked in pain. Oso almost had his arm torn off. Ross was down in pain as Oduro stuck his knee out. Kam is taking a lot of hits to his body in the way to the basket. Kolek hurt his oblique on a relatively routine and mundane play.

At the end of the day, Kolek is either healthy to play or he isn’t.  5 more days of rest isn’t going to greatly reduce the risk of reinjury. 

If he is healthy, play him. If not then don’t. Same is true for the NCAAT.  Same is true for all of the players.

If Kolek is healthy and plays he reduces the risk and workload for all of the other players.

You play to win the game. 40 minutes for a ship.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #698 on: March 16, 2024, 09:56:42 AM »
It’s very simple:

1) Coach Shaka is our head coach.

2) Coach Shaka wants to win probably more than any of us.

3) Coach Shaka is a decent human being who cares about his players.

4) Marquette has good medical and training support.

5) In Coach Shaka I trust!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #699 on: March 16, 2024, 10:00:11 AM »
I have given this a lot of thought and have finally decided that I am going to leave the decision up to Shaka.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

feedback