[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 78961 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Kolek Update
« on: February 29, 2024, 06:13:32 PM »
Ben Steele:

What is the latest update from Shaka Smart on Tyler Kolek?
MU head coach Shaka Smart gave an update on Kolek on Thursday during his radio show with Jen Lada on 94.5 FM.

"He spent a lot of time today with our training staff and our doctors," Smart said. "He's still being evaluated.

"He did injure a muscle in his oblique. I don't really have a timetable on exactly when he'll get back. He didn't do anything today, practice-wise. But Tyler's a guy, I promise you this, as soon as he's available and he's physically capable of coming back, he will be back.

"But at the same time, he tried to come back in the game after he sustained that injury. It was just too painful to play. We want to make sure we get that right for him. And right now they're still figuring out what the right course of action is in terms of the short term."

VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 06:26:45 PM »
That’s what I said
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 06:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the update. Fortunately last night we had the luxury of Tyler not being forced to come back into the game. I think he’ll play against Creighton. Hopefully the injury doesn’t impact his game too much.

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 06:37:12 PM »
After reading that, I’m kind of thinking he won’t be back until the tourney.  If he’s back at all.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:37:51 PM »
After reading that, I’m kind of thinking he won’t be back until the tourney.  If he’s back at all.

Which would be better than not at all!
VIOLENCE!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 06:43:08 PM »
this is such bs lol. horrific injury luck for this team this year like wow.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 07:07:51 PM »
He’ll be fine. Maybe not for Saturday but he’ll be back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 07:11:36 PM »

Yes, he'll either be back Saturday or for next week's games, or for the BET, or for the NCAA tourney, or not at all.

We've got it covered here!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 07:16:52 PM »
If he wasn’t cleared today I don’t see how he plays Saturday. My guess is he will be out Saturday and reevaluated by next Wednesday game.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 07:32:46 PM »
From my friend who is a Physical Therapist:

It’s not good. Depends how severe. Baseball can be out 2 months cuz of how much rotation they need. With tk whipping one handed passes around, he will either be pretty limited or potentially out for a few games. Other thing with obliques is they are easy to reinjure

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 07:42:51 PM »
Classic people trying to infer from almost the most obvious and basic update possible

Its likely they dont push it saturday. But Idk how any of that Shaka quote remotely implies doom.

He was basically going to say that exact quote verbatim whether its truly season endingish or potentially read for saturday
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 10:45:50 PM »
#OneMoreYear
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 11:01:55 PM »
I once had an oblique injury. I've been declared deceased on a 1:1 ratio of deaths I've suffered while walking to DePaul games in Chicago.

But seriously, mine was minor and related to my lead side on golf swing. Took 2.5 weeks to feel fine-ish. 5ish to feel like I could fire without fear (mental side). Hope he's doing better and misses the mental block part I had.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 11:06:25 PM »
From my friend who is a Physical Therapist:

It’s not good. Depends how severe. Baseball can be out 2 months cuz of how much rotation they need. With tk whipping one handed passes around, he will either be pretty limited or potentially out for a few games. Other thing with obliques is they are easy to reinjure

I have no medical background - but the one harsh likely reality is that if he were a pitcher he would be shut down. He would NOT be able to pitch for months. Now, does it mean he can't play point guard or can no longer whip passes across court or stretch for the patented shot over taller defenders high off the glass? I have no idea, but definitely uneasy.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 11:17:46 PM »
I once had an oblique injury. I've been declared deceased on a 1:1 ratio of deaths I've suffered while walking to DePaul games in Chicago.

But seriously, mine was minor and related to my lead side on golf swing. Took 2.5 weeks to feel fine-ish. 5ish to feel like I could fire without fear (mental side). Hope he's doing better and misses the mental block part I had.

I assume you didn’t have professional trainers and facilities at your disposal to provide you with an around the clock treatment program.

I’m hoping Kolek can be at virtually full strength in 3 weeks, which seems possible if the strain is mild enough. Anything before that is a bonus.

At this point any game MU wins before the NCAA is a bonus too.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 11:31:56 PM »
I assume you didn’t have professional trainers and facilities at your disposal to provide you with an around the clock treatment program.

I’m hoping Kolek can be at virtually full strength in 3 weeks, which seems possible if the strain is mild enough. Anything before that is a bonus.

Any win without Kolek is a bonus?  I can’t disagree more with this statement.  MU  has enough weaponry to win games down the stretch.  It sounds like you’re expecting 0 - 4 to close the year heading into Selection Sunday.  That should not be the expectation for a team ranked fifth in the country.  Marquette can certainly beat Xavier and a quarterfinal BE opponent without Tyler.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 12:34:34 AM »

If this is a true statement then there is no way MU would remotely be a three seed so their path is exponentially harder. 

4 straight losses and no visible timeline for his return rolling into selection Sunday.  They are probably a 5 seed at that point. 

Mostly likely, MU would have dropped to 4th place in the Big East with an opening round game in the BET against Villanova which you think would be a bonus if we won without Tyler?  If they can't beat Nova then they have no shot in the NCAA.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 12:57:06 AM »

I did not. I had Athletico and a combo of muscle relaxants and pain pills. But hopefully the same mid 20s rage.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Biggie Clausen

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 02:17:26 AM »
Yes, he'll either be back Saturday or for next week's games, or for the BET, or for the NCAA tourney, or not at all.

We've got it covered here!

As a long time lurker (not to be mistaken with a long time slurper) and new-ish poster, I will say that I’ve generally enjoyed your posts.  But, come on.  We’ve both read enough boilerplate throughout the years to surmise that this situation isn’t great.

Could Tyler be healthy two months from now?  With this injury, sure, maybe.  But he needs to be healthy three weeks from now, and that’s the problem.  Come tourney time, I think it will be a Dom James situation of, “Have pulse, will play.”  Tyler is that kind of competitor.  But that doesn’t mean he’ll be effective in the game.

It’s just really, really bad luck.  But I hope I’m wrong.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 02:42:56 AM »
It's encouraging that he came back in, but disheartening that he left again almost immediately. Who knows if he aggravated something that previously had been relatively minor in those 12 seconds, but it does seem that Shaka has a philosophy of "let 'em play - you decide" when it comes to injury. I like that Shaka trusts his players, but these guys are all competitors and I wonder if Shaka doesn't need to be a bit more of the "adult in the room" when in comes to go decisions - as in - he really should have had a bit more heart to heart with TKO and said "listen, I know you want to play - but we're up 20 and the guys are handling it - if you're not absolutely sure you're 100% why don't we sit the rest of this one out so you're good to for us Saturday."

Who knows - maybe that's what happened on the bench - or maybe the additional 12 seconds did nothing and TKO immediately realized he needed to shut it down for the night - but it does seem Shaka is developing a track record of letting the guys play injured if they say they want to go.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:36:46 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 06:21:43 AM »
If this is a true statement then there is no way MU would remotely be a three seed so their path is exponentially harder. 

4 straight losses and no visible timeline for his return rolling into selection Sunday.  They are probably a 5 seed at that point. 

Mostly likely, MU would have dropped to 4th place in the Big East with an opening round game in the BET against Villanova which you think would be a bonus if we won without Tyler?  If they can't beat Nova then they have no shot in the NCAA.

Interesting way of telling everyone here you don't understand NCAA seeding.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 06:39:05 AM »
This board is acting like they have no other players outside of Kolek. Yes, Tyler is the floor general but we can win games without him. Also, he is more than likely going to be coaching players from the bench as leaders do, if he cannot go.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2024, 07:14:27 AM »
Without TK Chase will probably start. I know its hard to tell because the game was well in hand but Providence did beat us by 2 in the second half. I guess will see how Big East ready Tre and Zaide are. So who will run point without TK?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2024, 07:18:22 AM »
Providence played MU even the last 30 minutes.     Fortunately, the game was over 10 minutes in.   

Or, with Kolek and Oso playing a season low in minutes and Norman playing a career high, MU was able to play a likely tournament team even.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 07:20:43 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2024, 07:30:48 AM »
Pretty likely we’ve seen Kolek play his last Marquette game already
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback