Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83301 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2024, 03:51:55 PM »
Vegas doesn't know anything about his status.

Vegas knows he has an injury, but you’re right that they don’t know whether he’ll play. They set the line (3.5) thinking he would play. If it becomes clear that he won’t they’ll either adjust the line or take the game off the board altogether.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2024, 04:01:57 PM »
I don't think it really matters. After the top 15 or so, Marquette's resume would likely be better than anyone below them even if they lose all four.

And it'd be weird for the committee to take his injury that much into account if he was expected to be back. If he's announced done for the year? Then it may be a problem.

That would put MU at the lower end of a 4 seed.  Current 5 seeds (according to some sites) Illinois, BYU, Clemson and Washington St.  Only need them to apply the eye test on two of those.  Current state BYU is 10 in Net, MU is 11th.  BYU is 5-6 against Q1 likely more by then end of the season. MU would end the season 6-9 in Q1.  Seems like that could be one.  Maybe Illinois with they finish hot and they put some wait on the last games. 

Problem is timing of when they announce.  If he can't play in the BET, they would need to announce his return prior to selection Sunday which would be three days after they lost in the BET.  Even then, I would think the committee would take it with a grain of salt.  Is he really ready to return?  Why didn't he play three days ago if they are projecting he will be ready?  Is MU just saying it?  If they announce it prior to the BET they might not get as strong of an eye test.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2024, 04:05:02 PM »
Truly think you're worrying for nothing. Go click through the resumes of the projected 4 seeds. They aren't close to MU. Even if we lose out in the regular season, I'd expect a three seed.

And I don't expect us to lose out. TK's injury will definitely impact them negatively. He's one of the best players in the country. But every single guy on MU is playing at or close to the highest level of their career.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 04:08:57 PM by BM1090 »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2024, 04:07:39 PM »
Barring total collapse, I think a 3-seed is the floor. If we went 2-3 with wins over Xavier and in our first BET game, we probably still are a 3 at worst.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2024, 04:14:52 PM »
Anyone that thinks the group we have available can't beat Xavier might as well not even turn the TV tomorrow and Wednesday.
VIOLENCE!

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2024, 04:21:22 PM »
Barring total collapse, I think a 3-seed is the floor. If we went 2-3 with wins over Xavier and in our first BET game, we probably still are a 3 at worst.

I agree with this but the scenario I was responding to was a poster saying he expected MU to not get any wins while in another thread saying path in the tournament didn't matter.  I also don't see MU losing 4 straight game.  My initial response was pointing out that if MU can't beat Xavier or Nova without Tyler the path nor the matchups matter.  If they did lose four it realistically drops us to a 4 but there is a factor outside our resume to consider as well.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2024, 04:22:18 PM »
My guess is the line moves at least two points.  Hopefully, we don't have to find out.

We have found out.  Kolek is expected to miss the game.  The line has already moved to Creighton -5.5.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 04:24:41 PM by bradforster »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2024, 04:25:04 PM »
Truly think you're worrying for nothing. Go click through the resumes of the projected 4 seeds. They aren't close to MU. Even if we lose out in the regular season, I'd expect a three seed.

And I don't expect us to lose out. TK's injury will definitely impact them negatively. He's one of the best players in the country. But every single guy on MU is playing at or close to the highest level of their career.

A big question for me is how Kolek’s absence would affect everyone else. Will they get the same scoring opportunities without Kolek’s threat of scoring himself or passing off.

This would especially be a challenge tomorrow because the coaching staff hasn’t had much time to retool the offense and rotations to adjust for Kolek not being there.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2024, 04:49:35 PM »
I don't think it really matters. After the top 15 or so, Marquette's resume would likely be better than anyone below them even if they lose all four.

And it'd be weird for the committee to take his injury that much into account if he was expected to be back. If he's announced done for the year? Then it may be a problem.

Exactly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2024, 04:50:12 PM »

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2024, 06:01:35 PM »
Vegas knows he has an injury, but you’re right that they don’t know whether he’ll play. They set the line (3.5) thinking he would play. If it becomes clear that he won’t they’ll either adjust the line or take the game off the board altogether.

I always thought the betting set the line.  more people jumping on Creighton -3.5 moves it more negative.  the whales know if someone broke up with their girlfriend or took a hard chit and hurt themselves that morning 
don't...don't don't don't don't

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2024, 06:24:29 PM »
We have found out.  Kolek is expected to miss the game.  The line has already moved to Creighton -5.5.

Are you surmising that based on the movement in the line, or have we actually found out?

Also, DraftKings is at 4.5; FanDuel is at 3.5; BetESPN is at 4.5
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2024, 06:26:24 PM »
im guessing you’re right but where did you see this

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2024, 06:27:32 PM »
  I always thought the betting set the line.  more people jumping on Creighton -3.5 moves it more negative.  the whales know if someone broke up with their girlfriend or took a hard chit and hurt themselves that morning
You think Vegas would sit on Kolek info and not move the line? 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2024, 06:32:45 PM »
im guessing you’re right but where did you see this

I think he’s saying that in his opinion the line movement indicates he’s not playing. And I think that’s probably a decent assumption, but nothing has been confirmed anywhere.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2024, 06:33:40 PM »
Looks like Hard Rock is at -5.5, Bet Rivers is -6.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2024, 06:44:31 PM »
Looks like Hard Rock is at -5.5, Bet Rivers is -6.

From the Marquette Department's social media accounts, they had a Tyler body double deployed at Stevie Mitchell Field. Anyone know any Omaha baggage handlers to confirm Tyler didn't make the trip?

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2024, 06:57:56 PM »
Are you surmising that based on the movement in the line, or have we actually found out?

Also, DraftKings is at 4.5; FanDuel is at 3.5; BetESPN is at 4.5

I’m guessing he’s out based on the sharp money pouring in on Creighton.  I have no special insight into Kolek’s status for the game. 

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2024, 07:16:28 PM »
With Shaka's comments, I really think there's enough publicly available information to assume that the best case scenario for tomorrow is Kolek plays but is significantly limited. I'm not at all surprised the spread would reflect that and don't think it suggests any inside information baked in.

I will say, if the line moves to +7, I'm interested. MU is playing with a lot of confidence right now. I might even consider them moneyline.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 07:18:34 PM by Tyler COLEk »

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2024, 07:18:15 PM »
TKO passed out at 31 flavors last night.  Not going to say how I know, but it seems pretty serious. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2024, 07:25:02 PM »
If he was 100% out, the line would be MU+20 as we’d have no chance to even keep it close

Hopefully he has a restful weekend in Milwaukee & his teammates bring home a W
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2024, 09:18:07 AM »
I just hope the road win shakes aren’t too thick. Sucking through a straw could aggravate an oblique.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
Does anyone know for sure, if TK made the trip???  Anyone see him at the Airport??  8-)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2024, 09:35:38 AM »
Does anyone know for sure, if TK made the trip???  Anyone see him at the Airport??  8-)

I expect him to be there if for no other reason, just to piss off the Creighton fans.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2024, 09:37:18 AM »

Stayed in MKE for study hall.

feedback