[July 26, 2024, 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[July 26, 2024, 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[July 26, 2024, 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[July 26, 2024, 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How important is it to you that we make the second weekend?

Deadly important. 2nd weekend or fire Shaka - he can't get it done in the tourney.
11 (4.7%)
Missing the 2nd weekend would be a major disappointment, Shaka might not be the forever guy.
75 (32.3%)
It would suck but the breakthrough will come. Trust the process.
138 (59.5%)
It's a crap shoot. 2nd weekend no matta.
6 (2.6%)
Arby's
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: How important is the 2nd weekend to you?  (Read 14403 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: How important is the 2nd weekend to you?
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2024, 02:01:03 PM »
There was a subset of fans who believed Marquette could never return to the heights achieved under Al when Crean got hired.  After listening to things said by O’Neill and Deane, they bought into that idea. 

Crean challenged that notion while embracing the past.  He challenged the alpha in their league at the time, Cincinnati.  Went toe-to-toe with Louisville and Pitino and shepherded Marquette into the Big East, something unfathomable not that long before his hiring.  Not only went into the Big East but wasn’t bullied by the powers of the league.

No, Crean wasn’t a great in-game coach but he helped prove those wrong who said Marquette couldn’t rise again.  Maybe Shaka is the guy that returns them, but the foundation was laid by Crean and the department that hired him

He made the unforgiveable sin of looking like he wanted to talk to anyone else in the room when introduced to a certain dentist.

Surprising I know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2024, 02:05:52 PM »
I disagree with 2012 and 2023 to an extent. The rest are spot on.

I was at the 2012 game and I didn't think we got embarrassed. We had a lot of shots that could have swung momentum that we just didn't make. DJO and Crowder went 3/14 on threes, just picked a bad time to have a cold shooting game. We had a better OR%, only 9 turnovers, and got to the line more than Florida.

Just not going to beat many solid teams shooting 30% from the field.

I was admittedly very drunk and watching from replay up on north Ave but I just remember their twin tower 7fters (young was one's name I think) destroying us in the paint and Vander being outclassed by Beal.

2023 I'll give you is a stretch but I still don't think either team looked good there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2024, 02:19:28 PM »
2012 was my fault. I bought gator meat from a butcher in Chicago and was making gator stew. Some friends came over, we started to party, I got high as I was cooking, forgot about it, and burnt the meat. After that we got our asses kicked. I’ll never forgive myself
Bring back FFP!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2024, 02:24:06 PM »
2012 was my fault. I bought gator meat from a butcher in Chicago and was making gator stew. Some friends came over, we started to party, I got high as I was cooking, forgot about it, and burnt the meat. After that we got our asses kicked. I’ll never forgive myself

As they say in Florida, "Friends don't let friends grow up to eat gator" -- unless it is the Gainesville kind!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2024, 02:25:10 PM »
There was a subset of fans who believed Marquette could never return to the heights achieved under Al when Crean got hired.  After listening to things said by O’Neill and Deane, they bought into that idea. 

Crean challenged that notion while embracing the past.  He challenged the alpha in their league at the time, Cincinnati.  Went toe-to-toe with Louisville and Pitino and shepherded Marquette into the Big East, something unfathomable not that long before his hiring.  Not only went into the Big East but wasn’t bullied by the powers of the league.

No, Crean wasn’t a great in-game coach but he helped prove those wrong who said Marquette couldn’t rise again.  Maybe Shaka is the guy that returns them, but the foundation was laid by Crean and the department that hired him

You nailed it, Rico.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2024, 03:20:08 PM »
When you listen to the loudest Crean critics, you know he did something right
Dentists, hey?
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:06 PM »
I agree with Pak and Rico about Crean, and I appreciate all he did to bring the program back to the big stage.

Other than the one big year, he didn't do enough with the talent he had. And the way he exited understandably upset lots of MU fans. But Crean did a ton of positive stuff for the Marquette basketball program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2024, 11:13:10 PM »
I agree with Pak and Rico about Crean, and I appreciate all he did to bring the program back to the big stage.

Other than the one big year, he didn't do enough with the talent he had. And the way he exited understandably upset lots of MU fans. But Crean did a ton of positive stuff for the Marquette basketball program.

But would you put him over shaka?  buzz?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2024, 05:50:23 AM »

Agreed.  O’Neill saved the program from ruin.  But support for the program went way up because of Crean’s tenure.  Definitely laid the foundation for getting a coach like Shaka to MU. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2024, 06:10:02 AM »
Agreed.  O’Neill saved the program from ruin.  But support for the program went way up because of Crean’s tenure.  Definitely laid the foundation for getting a coach like Shaka to MU.

And, unlike Buzz, Crean's worked hard to re-establish/re-habiliate himself in the MU community as a kind of elder statesman - like when mediocre presidents end up commanding more respect after they're out of office. I bear no ill-will towards Crean and think he is currently a net positive to the program.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2024, 07:59:52 AM »
I don't believe Buzz or Marquette want anything to do with one another these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2024, 10:00:52 AM »
I certainly hope MU stays a long way away from Buzz. I too have been impressed with Crean's efforts to reconnect with MU.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2024, 04:36:17 PM »
I don't believe Buzz or Marquette want anything to do with one another these days.
Buzz didn't come to the 100 yr celebration, all other coaches did.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2024, 10:06:32 PM »
But would you put him over shaka?  buzz?

I'd put Buzz and Crean roughly even. Crean brought in the best player in school history, made the only post-Al Final Four, brought in the Amigos, worked to get MU into the Big East, etc. Buzz was brought into the program by Crean and was handed an NCAAT team. But Buzz then sustained success at a high level with the S16-S16-E8 run; of course, there also were off-the-court issues.

As I said, I appreciate what both brought to the program.

Shaka has been incredible, exceeding all my expectations so far. But he hasn't been at Marquette long enough, or had enough late-March success, to be in comparisons yet. For example, Crean got to the Final Four in Year 4. Let's at least see how Shaka wraps up Year 3 before comparing them.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2024, 07:18:04 AM »
I'd put Buzz and Crean roughly even. Crean brought in the best player in school history, made the only post-Al Final Four, brought in the Amigos, worked to get MU into the Big East, etc. Buzz was brought into the program by Crean and was handed an NCAAT team. But Buzz then sustained success at a high level with the S16-S16-E8 run; of course, there also were off-the-court issues.

As I said, I appreciate what both brought to the program.

Shaka has been incredible, exceeding all my expectations so far. But he hasn't been at Marquette long enough, or had enough late-March success, to be in comparisons yet. For example, Crean got to the Final Four in Year 4. Let's at least see how Shaka wraps up Year 3 before comparing them.
agreed. Shaka seems to be held in very high regard on Scoop, yet has 1 ncaa tournament win. As you correctly state, let’s wait. If we go down in the 1st rd, what’s the opinion of Shaka then? I thought KO was awesome. Imagine cleaning-up the Dukiet mess?  Things are good now, but how’s ‘23/24 play out, and can success be maintained beyond?

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2024, 07:38:13 AM »
agreed. Shaka seems to be held in very high regard on Scoop, yet has 1 ncaa tournament win.

I mean, he's been in two NCAA tourneys here. And if you're NOT very high on a guy who has put together two, top 10 seasons, I have no idea what to tell you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2024, 08:03:07 AM »
There hasn't been a February swoon, unlike some schools in Madison. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2024, 08:07:19 AM »

I mean, he's been in two NCAA tourneys here. And if you're NOT very high on a guy who has put together two, top 10 seasons, I have no idea what to tell you.
did I say I don’t hold the guy in high regard? And yeah, your posts indicate more often than not you have no idea.

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2024, 09:10:16 AM »
did I say I don’t hold the guy in high regard?

You implied it.

And yeah, your posts indicate more often than not you have no idea.

My fault for expecting posters to use logic and clear thinking. I will dumb myself down when dealing with you in the future.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2024, 10:56:54 AM »
agreed. Shaka seems to be held in very high regard on Scoop, yet has 1 ncaa tournament win. As you correctly state, let’s wait. If we go down in the 1st rd, what’s the opinion of Shaka then? I thought KO was awesome. Imagine cleaning-up the Dukiet mess?  Things are good now, but how’s ‘23/24 play out, and can success be maintained beyond?

For clarity: I hold Shaka in VERY high regard. I am amazed at how well we've done under his leadership, and I absolutely love watching us play such an exciting (and successful) brand of basketball. As a bonus, it has been fun that several of my friends have re-discovered Marquette hoops after having been apathetic for years - going to games with them again after so many years has been a blast.

But when asked to make comparisons with coaches who were at Marquette for significantly longer tenures and who had NCAAT success, I'm not quite ready to make those comparisons. I am NOT saying Shaka isn't as good or better than Buzz/Crean. I'm saying I want to see more before making such specific comparisons.

romey

• All American
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2024, 12:32:36 PM »
For clarity: I hold Shaka in VERY high regard. I am amazed at how well we've done under his leadership, and I absolutely love watching us play such an exciting (and successful) brand of basketball. As a bonus, it has been fun that several of my friends have re-discovered Marquette hoops after having been apathetic for years - going to games with them again after so many years has been a blast.

But when asked to make comparisons with coaches who were at Marquette for significantly longer tenures and who had NCAAT success, I'm not quite ready to make those comparisons. I am NOT saying Shaka isn't as good or better than Buzz/Crean. I'm saying I want to see more before making such specific comparisons.

MU 82, five years?  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2024, 12:49:58 PM »
MU 82, five years?  :)

Nah, it only took me 4 years to graduate (though I'm not sure how!), so it shouldn't take me longer than that to judge.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2024, 01:51:18 PM »
You implied it.

My fault for expecting posters to use logic and clear thinking. I will dumb myself down when dealing with you in the future.
…dealing with me? Classic, just classic! A-hole factor 2nd to none.

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2024, 01:55:12 PM »

Thank you. I don't do things half-a$$.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2024, 03:01:20 PM »
Hey! Why does Sultan rate #1???????