'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hate ND  (Read 9842 times)

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
Re: Hate ND
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2023, 01:29:51 PM »
Had zero interest in applying to ND.

Halfway through the application just because everyone else from the high school was doing it, realized "why bother, no one from my family went there and I already don't like them" and moved on.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:40 PM »
Fortunately, we went 3-1 vs ND during my time at MU -- including my favorite in-person Marquette shot ever, Glenn Rivers' buzzer-beater.

ND was very hate-able, led by the punchable Kelly Tripucka.

Wisconsin was a non-entity back then, and for many years after that.
100%. I was there too. MECCA went absolutely crazy with that shot!!! …and yeah, UW was a non-entity. I even played HS ball with a guy that ended-up being All Big Ten for RED. My RED hate came later…ND hate, always!!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2023, 01:48:04 PM »
I'm back.
ND hate is a great motivator.

FIRST, back in the day, Al wouldn't play ND because they wanted most of our gate.  ( I don't recall, 80/20, 90/10 whatever)  They wanted most of the money because they said their name would sell lots of tickets and bring in $$$.  Then when we went to South Bend they wanted the same split.  However, the deal was that most the their ticket sales were to students at student discount prices.  They are such a class act.  With ND it is all about the money.

SECOND, during the football season they were not to be seen in Milwaukee.  Then in winter they would show up trolling for dates.

Hope that doesn't sound too misogynistic.  Back then ND was all male, talk about misogynistic.

Does anyone remember the Fordham ND game at the garden, probably around 1972.?  We played in the second game.  A Fordham fan threw a big dead fish at ND and Digger.  It spun around on the court and expressed well the feelings of the Fordham fans toward ND. 

I have been reading our blog, but not involved because it got dangerous for me.  The new tone, although still spicy, is IMO much better.

I turned 80, senior years 1965 and 1966.  Good health, I don't smoke and gave up the drink 46 years ago.  My days tending bar at the Vogue, across the Avenue from the library, will always remain with me.
great stuff !!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2023, 03:28:24 PM »
Had a friend who graduated from ND.
Visited him one weekend.  Saw a ND vs Army FB game.
My takeaway was very isolated.
The exact opposite of Marquette.

While I was a student, one of MU friends had a brother at ND and I had a friend from high school who attended so on two different occasions we filled a car on Friday night and 5 of us went down to watch an ND football game.  One of the games was the Catholic vs Convict games against Miami.  After ND won the game, we figured there would be a big celebration because that's what Marquette students would do.  There were no parties to be found anywhere and it was very lame, so we just decided to drive back Saturday evening and celebrate later Saturday evening after returning to Milwaukee.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2023, 03:35:06 PM »
While I was a student, one of MU friends had a brother at ND and I had a friend from high school who attended so on two different occasions we filled a car on Friday night and 5 of us went down to watch an ND football game.  One of the games was the Catholic vs Convict games against Miami.  After ND won the game, we figured there would be a big celebration because that's what Marquette students would do.  There were no parties to be found anywhere and it was very lame, so we just decided to drive back Saturday evening and celebrate later Saturday evening after returning to Milwaukee.

I was at the same game.  It was lame afterward.  Huge difference between the schools.

MUbiz

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »

I had a similar experience - bunch of us MU guys drove down to watch unranked ND beat number 8 Michigan in South Bend and we were going to stay the night and party. We ended up driving home back to Milwaukee that night because campus was dead after the game. 2 of the MU guys actually were accepted into ND and they felt validated they did not go to ND after that experience. LOL

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2023, 03:49:51 PM »
I'd disagree but I can respect that take same with Louisville. I don't think either invalidates the history and rivalry with ND though. When I was a student (09-14) there were two teams that students would basically camp out/show up at the crack of dawn for Wisconsin and ND. Not Louisville or Cincy. What that says to me is that for at least half the old Big East era we were a part of that the student body considered ND a rivalry on par with WI not Ville or Cincy.

Having attended MU in the 90s I thought of WI, Cincy, and Louisville as the biggest rivals at that time.   I think we played ND a couple years I was there but honestly don’t remember.   Definitely remember those Cincy teams though. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2023, 05:58:08 PM »
MU was 0-8 against ND while I was in school.   David F-ing Rivers.     The only good thing that happened against ND while I was in school was someone accidentally losing control of their beer near Digger.     Beer was a lot cheaper then.    I caught MU-ND in South Bend during in December of 2002.   ND stomped MU.    Not only that, they were handing out sheets full of what they thought were embarrassing things about the MU players.    ND is the school I hate, far more than Wisconsin.        I want to see MU with another 30 point lead and the walk ons finishing the game.
I will be there and hoping the same and will be cheering for Tower if this happens! You have earned it.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2023, 07:02:10 PM »
I remember Al McQuire saying you could always recognize a Notre Dame alumni because he would pick his nose just to show off his class ring.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2023, 07:11:37 PM »
I know- I spelled Al's name wrong. Forgive me. I had five beers and the meds are kicking in. Al would forgive me, I'm sure. And Pat would say, "Isn't that funny, Al, I thought you were Irish. McQuire?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2023, 10:14:54 PM »
We loathed ND back in the Al days as well. Cared more about beating them than even the Badgers

No question. ND and Louisville were the biggies in my day.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2023, 10:15:45 PM »
That line is wild… damn

Viper

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »
100%. I was there too. MECCA went absolutely crazy with that shot!!! …and yeah, UW was a non-entity. I even played HS ball with a guy that ended-up being All Big Ten for RED. My RED hate came later…ND hate, always!!
Michael Wilson after Doc hit the shot. MECCA rocked!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2023, 08:08:56 AM »
As long as MU students keep getting rejected by ND, it'll be a rivalry.

Back in the stone age when I was applying to colleges, you picked up a brochure from the guidance counselor's office and mailed an attached postcard to the school to get more information. These were usually postage-paid, but Notre Dame was the only school whose postcard required a stamp.

Even as a 17-year-old, I realized what arrogant bullish!t that was.
Have some patience, FFS.

88Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2023, 08:25:45 AM »
ND was by far biggest rival in 80's. Digger was pompous a$$ and the MU students would let him know how they felt. 
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1987-03-01-8701170173-story.html

The program was in tatters but Dukiet knew he needed to stand up to Digger because the hate level was so high.

This article tells you how bad things were and mentions the first time an Ellenson
walked out.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/1988/01/15/home-court-no-mecca-for-marquette/

88Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2023, 08:32:37 AM »
No mention of possibly one of the best MU Bradley Center memories?

https://gomarquette.com/news/2006/2/13/Novak_s_Last_Second_Basket_Downs_Notre_Dame_67_65
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 08:35:15 AM by 88Warrior »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2023, 09:17:56 AM »
All Time Hated ND team

1. Tripukewad (Had the crapz at the Mecca)
2. Hagrid (ND PR machine pumped him as the great white hope, got benched senior year.  Got every call by Hightower and Drama Teddy who seemed to ref every one of their games)
3. Lamebeard (Dirty, puked his guts out at MU after party. Weak)
4. Cooley High (Sharp elbows, stepped under shooters on drives)
5. Hubris Garpax (Righteous jag who hit daggers. Good announcer, pompous and abusive boss)

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2023, 09:22:38 AM »
it was 1980, my first year at MU.
had brought our family's second vehicle from Jersey to WI at the holiday break-
'76 Chevy Vega Kamback... manual- ran basically on 3 of the 4 cylinders.

McCormick pal Britty was from Kettering, OH and had a bunch o' pals who went to ND.
we played ND at the Joyce, February- cold and nasty.
Vega had little to no heat complementing the lack of any zip from the engine whatsoever.

regardless, we crammed a crap ton of guys-  in the back of the Vega, backseat down and splayed head to toe, toe to head... squeezed in necessities like Strohs, Hamms or whatever was cheap along with enough clothes not to stink too badly and off we went.

Britty had us set up with some pals in the dorms- 
guys were stiff, girls were preppy beyond comprehension.
they did not know what to think or do with guys named Chester the Molester, Animal, Lurch, Boston Bob or C-dell Ball.  borderline appalled, I'm going with.

still, we were promised a great party and they had the 12pak to prove it.
3 minutes and 12 empties later, we were off to find a bar and a Denny's or something.
plenty of Denny-like places... not so much on the bar front.
managed to survive the night in our Warriors gear with mostly sneers and down-the-nose looks.

game day- Britty scored tickets, but none of us knew the campus or how Joyce was situated.
found the facility, but no clue how to get in, especially with the big ass Foster's Lager cans shoved in our winter coats.
saw a pack of big dudes heading toward an entrance of sorts, so our posse just hooked up and followed along.  some angry oldish dude was leading the procession.
we were led to a service door I guess and just kept going.
Chester, blitzed since 10am, starting laughing and freaking out some- Britty pummeled him good.

Got to the door, Old guy waved to the security guard-
guard says, hey Coach... Faust.
we waltzed right in.
so a handful of drunken MU students, ratty, smelly and only athletic/bulky looking cause we had on massive parkas with huge beer cans shoved in every pocket, cruised into the arena as prized ND Football recruits with one of the most recognizable college coaches in the biz.
the irony was just too much...

icing on the cake that we got to enjoy Dean Marquardt's best game of his life in taking down the hated leprauchauns sitting in the middle of the student section- way to score those tickets, Britty!
empty Foster cans rolling down toward the court finally was enough to get us booted, but the victory was sealed and we did more than our part.

the dormsters weren't happy we returned, but lightened up when we said we'd take care of the beer that night-
you'd think that they'd never seen beer kegs before when we rolled them out of the Vega into the hall.
a 12 pak?  right.

bonus memory-
I believe it was the next day... Olympics- Miracle on Ice- legendary call by Al Michaels.
all in all, a great weekend and college memory.
and the Vega got us back to Milwaukee.

Veni, vidi, vici

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2023, 09:29:30 AM »
All Time Hated ND team

2. Hagrid (ND PR machine pumped him as the great white hope, got benched senior year.  Got every call by Hightower and Drama Teddy who seemed to ref every one of their games)
5. Hubris Garpax (Righteous jag who hit daggers. Good announcer, pompous and abusive boss)

Tripucka
Joe Fredrick - always played MU well
Tim Kempton
Jim Dolan - broke my heart with his ‘86 tip in, we went on to lose in OT.
David Rivers - broken heart again his freshman year at MECCA.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »
All Time Hated ND team

I’m unable to decode who Cooley High and Hagrid are.

*ok got who Cooley is
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:50:52 AM by HutchwasClutch »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2023, 09:46:05 AM »
it was 1980, my first year at MU.
had brought our family's second vehicle from Jersey to WI at the holiday break-
'76 Chevy Vega Kamback... manual- ran basically on 3 of the 4 cylinders.

McCormick pal Britty was from Kettering, OH and had a bunch o' pals who went to ND.
we played ND at the Joyce, February- cold and nasty.
Vega had little to no heat complementing the lack of any zip from the engine whatsoever.

regardless, we crammed a crap ton of guys-  in the back of the Vega, backseat down and splayed head to toe, toe to head... squeezed in necessities like Strohs, Hamms or whatever was cheap along with enough clothes not to stink too badly and off we went.

Britty had us set up with some pals in the dorms- 
guys were stiff, girls were preppy beyond comprehension.
they did not know what to think or do with guys named Chester the Molester, Animal, Lurch, Boston Bob or C-dell Ball.  borderline appalled, I'm going with.

still, we were promised a great party and they had the 12pak to prove it.
3 minutes and 12 empties later, we were off to find a bar and a Denny's or something.
plenty of Denny-like places... not so much on the bar front.
managed to survive the night in our Warriors gear with mostly sneers and down-the-nose looks.

game day- Britty scored tickets, but none of us knew the campus or how Joyce was situated.
found the facility, but no clue how to get in, especially with the big ass Foster's Lager cans shoved in our winter coats.
saw a pack of big dudes heading toward an entrance of sorts, so our posse just hooked up and followed along.  some angry oldish dude was leading the procession.
we were led to a service door I guess and just kept going.
Chester, blitzed since 10am, starting laughing and freaking out some- Britty pummeled him good.

Got to the door, Old guy waved to the security guard-
guard says, hey Coach... Faust.
we waltzed right in.
so a handful of drunken MU students, ratty, smelly and only athletic/bulky looking cause we had on massive parkas with huge beer cans shoved in every pocket, cruised into the arena as prized ND Football recruits with one of the most recognizable college coaches in the biz.
the irony was just too much...

icing on the cake that we got to enjoy Dean Marquardt's best game of his life in taking down the hated leprauchauns sitting in the middle of the student section- way to score those tickets, Britty!
empty Foster cans rolling down toward the court finally was enough to get us booted, but the victory was sealed and we did more than our part.

the dormsters weren't happy we returned, but lightened up when we said we'd take care of the beer that night-
you'd think that they'd never seen beer kegs before when we rolled them out of the Vega into the hall.
a 12 pak?  right.

bonus memory-
I believe it was the next day... Olympics- Miracle on Ice- legendary call by Al Michaels.
all in all, a great weekend and college memory.
and the Vega got us back to Milwaukee.

Veni, vidi, vici

Yo

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2023, 09:49:18 AM »
My faves:

Digger eats quiche! (poster at a ND game)

Notre who?  (T-shirt)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2023, 09:53:10 AM »
Videos and photos of past Notre Dame highlights on Marquette Overload today!

www.twitter.com/muoverload

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2023, 09:53:42 AM »
we are 21.5 point favs

is notre dame that bad or are we that good??  i mean realistically.  don't think i've ever seen us as big a favorite vs a school with the reputation it has...other than the hate stuff
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:56:25 AM by rocket surgeon »
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »
I’m unable to decode who Cooley High and Hagrid are.

*ok got who Cooley is
This good-looker.