[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good Teams Find Ways to Win  (Read 3915 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Good Teams Find Ways to Win
« on: November 14, 2023, 09:15:28 PM »
That is all.  I thought we were at a C level at best.  Great to get a week off to work out some kinks before UCLA. 

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Good Teams Find Ways to Win
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:16:45 PM »
Hard fought game. Refs let everyone slug it out and MU rose to the challenge. Lots to clean up, but a lot more fun off a tough, tough win

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:17:53 PM »
Yep - not a statement of dominance but a road win against a ranked veteran team is worth its weight in gold.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 09:20:18 PM »
That is all.  I thought we were at a C level at best.  Great to get a week off to work out some kinks before UCLA.
Road win against a well coach team, with incredible size.  Love our intensity all game long.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 09:21:00 PM »
We do need Jop, Stevie, and Chase to find their games in Maui.  They're much better players than we saw tonight. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 09:25:39 PM »
We do need Jop, Stevie, and Chase to find their games in Maui.  They're much better players than we saw tonight.
They played as hard as they could and had some moments when needed. The opponent had real talent. Shannon is Filthy and nothing but a team effort could stop him . Illini have size and hard to will your way to points against that , had to have TyKo doing his thing to have a chance and he did.

MU =Whole is Greater Than Sum of Parts Team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 09:30:35 PM »
IMO, this might end up being this years Baylor win. This win was based off of experience, poise and a will to win. This is the type of win that you build season on. Last year against Baylor they learned what they were capable of and tonight they learned that they can win in a tough environment with their C game.

Again, IMO, this game showed me how far a program has come in two years and three games. Big win for the program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 09:32:00 PM »
IMO, this might end up being this years Baylor win. This win was based off of experience, poise and a will to win. This is the type of win that you build season on. Last year against Baylor they learned what they were capable of and tonight they learned that they can win in a tough environment with their C game.

Again, IMO, this game showed me how far a program has come in two years and three games. Big win for the program.

Same. Lots of mental mistakes and some off nights for a few of our players and they still won. Also, Tyler is special.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 09:33:51 PM »

Goose,
Having Tyko and Jones thr Elder in the backcourt is a solid security blanket.  But we all know we can step it up. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 09:36:33 PM »
Jake

Tyler Kolek will go down as one of the all time greats in program history. He was the key recruit in building this program and truly a joy to watch. I am 100% biased, but he is one of my all time favorite MU players and climbing the list on a regular basis.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed having a guy that every other program has loved to hate.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 09:45:53 PM »
GB

I said two years ago that Kolek will become public enemy #1 and he has earned that badge. Best part, he is an assassin on top of being a villain.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 09:47:55 PM »
GB

I said two years ago that Kolek will become public enemy #1 and he has earned that badge. Best part, he is an assassin on top of being a villain.

Yes.  Being a public enemy and sucking like Flopison isn't particularly good for a program. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 09:48:22 PM »
Illinois is going to drive their fans crazy this year. Two awesome shooters, an incredible slasher and Coleman Hawkins shooting as many deep threes as possible.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 09:49:53 PM »
It is fun to hear the announcer ask, "How did he do that?" on plays by TKO and KJ.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:51:40 PM by RubyWiscy »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 09:50:35 PM »
GB

I actually thought the broadcasts did not lean into his crap talking nearly enough. He has not yet had a nationally televised JP Macura moment

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 09:53:37 PM »
GB

Best part about Kolek is he does with his play. His attitude, engaging with the fans is a bonus. He cuts other teams heart out and they have no idea how it happened.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 09:54:26 PM »
Jake

Tyler Kolek will go down as one of the all time greats in program history. He was the key recruit in building this program and truly a joy to watch. I am 100% biased, but he is one of my all time favorite MU players and climbing the list on a regular basis.
This, a thousand times this!
(Not at all related, but I am now starting to call my son, who is named Travis, Tyler now. )

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 09:57:18 PM »
This, a thousand times this!
(Not at all related, but I am now starting to call my son, who is named Travis, Tyler now. )

Don't let Diener find out!
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2023, 09:57:55 PM »
Pbi

I remember when people on here laughed about about comparisons with Diener. I will officially say, Travis Diener is no Tyler Kolek and this is coming from a guy that loved Diener. Different players, but I will say Kolek has an even higher ball IQ than Deiner and that is saying an awful lot.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2023, 10:00:11 PM »
Goose you nailed it again. MU could have easily lost that game. If not for their determination tonight I would be wondering if Smart was going to win this game with Sean Jones. Nothing against Sean, but we all feel don't we that Tyler is special? And if he's not there involved in everything that's something's missing?  Everyone is fighting. I was impressed tonight. These players will play better than they did in this game. The ankle is good.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2023, 10:05:16 PM »
Jake

Yep. I agree wholly on this

Goose you nailed it again. MU could have easily lost that game. If not for their determination tonight I would be wondering if Smart was going to win this game with Sean Jones. Nothing against Sean, but we all feel don't we that Tyler is special? And if he's not there involved in everything that's something's missing?  Everyone is fighting. I was impressed tonight. These players will play better than they did in this game. The ankle is good.

This team is what we always wanted: a team better than it's parts. And the parts all seem to be pretty damn good.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2023, 10:08:36 PM »
GB

Best part about Kolek is he does with his play. His attitude, engaging with the fans is a bonus. He cuts other teams heart out and they have no idea how it happened.

Ever since that steal and layup the last time we saw Illinois, he's just grown more and more into himself. His attitude, game, and swagger is just a joy to watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2023, 10:09:42 PM »
Kolek was the MAN but last four mins Kam and Oso delivered as well - good teams ….

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2023, 10:10:19 PM »
A true team win tonight. Led by our stars TK and Kam Jones. Everyone else contributed something at key points. Everyone worked hard. Impressive because you beat a top 25 team on the road by bringing something less than your "A" game. Good building block

My game ball, however, goes to Coach Smart.

feedback