[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good Teams Find Ways to Win  (Read 3909 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Good Teams Find Ways to Win
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2023, 10:11:06 PM »
Jake

Tyler Kolek will go down as one of the all time greats in program history. He was the key recruit in building this program and truly a joy to watch. I am 100% biased, but he is one of my all time favorite MU players and climbing the list on a regular basis.

Goose

Tyler was really good (A10 freshman of the year) when he got here, but his development since has been remarkable. Kudos to Shaka, mega kudos to Kolek.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2023, 10:13:00 PM »
A true team win tonight. Led by our stars TK and Kam Jones. Everyone else contributed something at key points. Everyone worked hard. Impressive because you beat a top 25 team on the road by bringing something less than your "A" game. Good building block

My game ball, however, goes to Coach Smart.

Yes. The lineups were something tonight. And really effective.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2023, 10:23:46 PM »
A true team win tonight.

I disagree. Kolek carried a lot of guys who were sub standard. Ross did nothing, Joplin less than that. Stevie really struggled, Gold was meh. Kam was very good for a half. Sean and Oso had moments but weren’t great.

But the effort, will and D were there. That’s why I loved this win. It showed me that we can beat good teams in hostile environments without anything close to our A game. Look out when we bring it!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2023, 10:29:02 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:31:32 PM by MuggsyB »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2023, 10:29:42 PM »
I disagree. Kolek carried a lot of guys who were sub standard. Ross did nothing, Joplin less than that. Stevie really struggled, Gold was meh. Kam was very good for a half. Sean and Oso had moments but weren’t great.

But the effort, will and D were there. That’s why I loved this win. It showed me that we can beat good teams in hostile environments without anything close to our A game. Look out when we bring it!

I know you mean on O. Stevie and Chase made sure you didn't hear much about TSJ today.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2023, 10:30:45 PM »

Very good analysis...spot on.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2023, 10:32:03 PM »
I know you mean on O. Stevie and Chase made sure you didn't hear much about TSJ today.

And Ben had 7 rebounds and hit an important 3.  Jop had 5 rebounds  The offense was off tonight that’s all.  And we won!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:43:00 PM by Daniel »

lake

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2023, 10:34:04 PM »
Defense was excellent all night. Kenpom gains reflecting that

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2023, 10:38:42 PM »
The things that went wrong tonight weren't big foundational things. Some overhelping, a few poor closeouts. Botched transition opportunities. All stuff that can be easily called out and fixed. They got the shots they wanted and just missed more than usual. Made great decisions with the ball, only 8 turnovers.

Look at the difference between the Purdue game last year, and this game when Illinois' second half run happened. That's the progression, the maturity showing.

Yes, I think there's another level this team can hit. But this narrative that MU played poorly is kinda lazy. They were well prepared, and guarded like hell for most of that game. I'm very happy they could overcome a poor outside shooting night and win in a tough gym.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2023, 10:40:38 PM »
They played as hard as they could and had some moments when needed. The opponent had real talent. Shannon is Filthy and nothing but a team effort could stop him . Illini have size and hard to will your way to points against that , had to have TyKo doing his thing to have a chance and he did.

MU =Whole is Greater Than Sum of Parts Team.

What????? You were trolling with your pre season picks.  You sly dog.  Love the enthusiasm Herm. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2023, 10:43:31 PM »
The guys “who did nothing” left it all on the court in the defensive end

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2023, 10:45:18 PM »
Pbi

I remember when people on here laughed about about comparisons with Diener. I will officially say, Travis Diener is no Tyler Kolek and this is coming from a guy that loved Diener. Different players, but I will say Kolek has an even higher ball IQ than Deiner and that is saying an awful lot.

People laughed at comparisons to NBA points guards too and that may come back as short sighted as well. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2023, 10:46:28 PM »
The things that went wrong tonight weren't big foundational things. Some overhelping, a few poor closeouts. Botched transition opportunities. All stuff that can be easily called out and fixed. They got the shots they wanted and just missed more than usual. Made great decisions with the ball, only 8 turnovers.

Look at the difference between the Purdue game last year, and this game when Illinois' second half run happened. That's the progression, the maturity showing.

Yes, I think there's another level this team can hit. But this narrative that MU played poorly is kinda lazy. They were well prepared, and guarded like hell for most of that game. I'm very happy they could overcome a poor outside shooting night and win in a tough gym.

I think this is accurate. I’ve been saying they didn’t play great but it’s more accurate to say they didn’t finish well or shoot well. The rest was pretty damn good.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2023, 10:48:13 PM »

The difference tonight is we had the best player on the floor who was dominant in stretches. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2023, 10:48:57 PM »
Pbi

I remember when people on here laughed about about comparisons with Diener. I will officially say, Travis Diener is no Tyler Kolek and this is coming from a guy that loved Diener. Different players, but I will say Kolek has an even higher ball IQ than Deiner and that is saying an awful lot.

Lots of those comparisons were made in the first month of last season. And at that time, Diener simply had the better body of work ... and it really wasn't particularly close.

Obviously, I agree with you that Kolek has surpassed Diener now. I mean, BEast POY and All-American - Tyler's just a stud. He was so good tonight.

But there's even a little asterisk in Kolek surpassing Diener ...

Tyler carried us into the second weekend of the 2003 NCAA tournament. Wade was terrible in the opener and we'd have lost to Holy Cross if Diener hadn't been incredible; and we needed another huge performance from Diener to beat Mizzou in the next game. No incredible Diener, no run to the Final Four. Period.

Unfortunately, injury kept Kolek from being at his best in the NCAAT last March. Hopefully, Tyler will be healthy this time around and will be able to match - or better yet, beat - that part of Diener's legacy.

But yes, looking only at regular-season play, Kolek's the man. Hard to deny that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2023, 10:50:40 PM »
Lots of those comparisons were made in the first month of last season. And at that time, Diener simply had the better body of work ... and it really wasn't particularly close.

Obviously, I agree with you that Kolek has surpassed Diener now. I mean, BEast POY and All-American - Tyler's just a stud. He was so good tonight.

But there's even a little asterisk in Kolek surpassing Diener ...

Tyler carried us into the second weekend of the 2003 NCAA tournament. Wade was terrible in the opener and we'd have lost to Holy Cross if Diener hadn't been incredible; and we needed another huge performance from Diener to beat Mizzou in the next game. No incredible Diener, no run to the Final Four. Period.

Unfortunately, injury kept Kolek from being at his best in the NCAAT last March. Hopefully, Tyler will be healthy this time around and will be able to match - or better yet, beat - that part of Diener's legacy.

But yes, looking only at regular-season play, Kolek's the man. Hard to deny that.

Yes, to achieve MU legend status there must be March success. Just look at Markus.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2023, 10:54:21 PM »
Yes, to achieve MU legend status there must be March success. Just look at Markus.

Ides of March, hey?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2023, 11:11:21 PM »
Turns out Diener is a poor man's Kolek. And I Fing love Diener.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2023, 11:14:56 PM »

Correct

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2023, 11:54:42 PM »
Jake

Tyler Kolek will go down as one of the all time greats in program history. He was the key recruit in building this program and truly a joy to watch. I am 100% biased, but he is one of my all time favorite MU players and climbing the list on a regular basis.

Tyler reminded me of a guy tonight that was kinda unexpected.

I saw it on his many drives to the hoop where he almost always takes the extra dribble(s) to get to the basket. Sam Worthen built his game around doing that. So, two guys who don’t look like similar players but use the same type of move an awful lot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2023, 05:32:49 AM »
After the Illinois game two years ago, I said he reminded me of Brunson.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2023, 05:39:57 AM »
Jockey

Very interesting take on Kolek and Worthen. I agree completely that both guys have the same signature move around the basket. Keeping the ball alive creates opportunities and Kolek is a master of using that extra dribble or two to keep the play alive.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2023, 07:02:52 AM »
Pbi

I'll never say it...but I don't disagree.  The growth I believe I'm seeing Kam and Tyler make YOY is amazing to me.  I thought they were close to their ceiling... 

Sean impressing me more than expected.

Chase I don't worry about.

Consistency from Stevie and Jop would really benefit this team.

Appreciated Gold hitting the glass a little better than I had seen so far this year.

ABSOLUTELY love this TEAM. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2023, 07:41:40 AM »
The lineups with Gold and Oso will be more often going forward if Joplin doesn’t play more within himself.  Golds length makes up for the loss of it with Omax gone more than it does with Joplin and his lack of athleticism.  Gold guarded well/better in space as well last night.

Not giving up on Joplin.  Once he learns a good opportunity from a bad one and plays within himself he will be great for this team.  Needs to get the old man game going.  Be crafty instead of trying to dunk.  Kam had to find his groove early last year if people remember and once he did was incredible.  Starting is different than coming off the bench.  He’ll find his groove. In the meantime Gold is ready to contribute.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »
Joplin is now near the top of the scout.   His release is still slow.    Illinois did not help off him.   He would catch the ball and not have room to get his shot off.   He attempted to create his own shot a few times without success.

Joplin will get his against teams that help to take away the drives of Kolek or Kam.    Illinois was not that team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.