[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Homer and Tony Show No More  (Read 23993 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Homer and Tony Show No More
« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2023, 11:23:19 AM »
I trust George Thompson (his best friend) and D Wade over any of these keyboard warriors.

There’s some (very biased) guy here who translates what you wrote as “He worked with a black guy once”. You just can’t talk common sense/logic to people who have a need to take (unwarranted and unasked for) offense for others.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2023, 11:28:25 AM »
Homer is a BAD broadcaster. Very poor play-by-play chops. MU deserves better. You can keep Homer for special events or whatever all the boomer alums attend.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
Homer is a BAD broadcaster. Very poor play-by-play chops. MU deserves better. You can keep Homer for special events or whatever all the boomer alums attend.

Yup.  He’s really gone downhill.  It’s a new era for Marquette basketball and the fan deserves announcers that understand what the current staff is implementing philosophically.  Homer ain’t that at all.  Honestly, I’m surprised at that, too.  I’d think he’d understand it having watched the Bucks and NBA the last decade in this city.

That’ll give more time to post here, anyway.  He can wax poetic about aircraft carriers, mid-range jump shots and players of yore.  His lack of understanding the modern game would fit in pretty well with half the posters on scoop
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2023, 01:10:23 PM »
You don't defend his trading practices. But I also don't see you demanding that Marquette completely disassociate themselves from Mr. Strong.

I'll tell you what. Call Lovell, identify yourself by name, and demand that MU kick Strong to the curb and cut all ties with him because YOU feel that his trading practices could embarrass the University. Then get back to us and tell us how that conversation worked out.
When did I demand Homer be removed?  I just simply stated he's said/posted some things I don't think he should have...and would agree he's done a lot for MU.  I couldn't tell you if he should be removed from his job. 

Feel the same way about Strong...I was a loser as a result of some of his trades...don't agree with it...fine with MU taking his $ and he's done a lot of good with his $.  Wouldn't judge him.

We live in the gray area...I'm not sure why we need to defend Homer's posts...also not sure that Homer needs to be fired.  A statement like..."Homer has done a lot of good for MU...but needs to have a better understanding of race before entering into that conversation."...seems like a fair assessment? 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 01:24:50 PM by avid1010 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
Yup.  He’s really gone downhill.  It’s a new era for Marquette basketball and the fan deserves announcers that understand what the current staff is implementing philosophically.  Homer ain’t that at all.  Honestly, I’m surprised at that, too.  I’d think he’d understand it having watched the Bucks and NBA the last decade in this city.

That’ll give more time to post here, anyway.  He can wax poetic about aircraft carriers, mid-range jump shots and players of yore.  His lack of understanding the modern game would fit in pretty well with half the posters on scoop

LOL - “understanding the modern game” isn’t akin to writing Mandarin or understanding quantum physics. It’s mostly simple math. Midrange games have gone the way of the dinosaur because very few midrange shooters can shoot their shots at a 50+% better rate than 3 point shooters. So most shots are 3s or dunks, lay ups and point blank 2s. Players who can shoot 3s well AND slash for lay ups and dunks are prioritized. Guy who block up the lane, can’t shoot 3s and rely on a midrange game aren’t.

If you think Homer (or almost every scooper) doesn’t get that you’re substituting your bigotry for knowledge of “today’s game”.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2023, 01:55:23 PM »
LOL - “understanding the modern game” isn’t akin to writing Mandarin or understanding quantum physics. It’s mostly simple math. Midrange games have gone the way of the dinosaur because very few midrange shooters can shoot their shots at a 50+% better rate than 3 point shooters. So most shots are 3s or dunks, lay ups and point blank 2s. Players who can shoot 3s well AND slash for lay ups and dunks are prioritized. Guy who block up the lane, can’t shoot 3s and rely on a midrange game aren’t.

If you think Homer (or almost every scooper) doesn’t get that you’re substituting your bigotry for knowledge of “today’s game”.

He doesn’t and you wisely must not read game threads or most posts here when discussion about improving the team comes up.

The game has passed Homer by.  Let him MC some remember when dinners and let the new era begin

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2023, 04:16:52 PM »
He doesn’t and you wisely must not read game threads or most posts here when discussion about improving the team comes up.

The game has passed Homer by.  Let him MC some remember when dinners and let the new era begin

I generally stay away from the game threads - people say a lot of hyperbolic and sometimes downright stupid stuff. I think it’s mostly frustration from passionate fans, though, not misunderstanding of today’s game. There are a couple of Scoopers who long for the gays of players with mid range games or “aircraft carriers”. A couple. And many, many others who exaggerate their numbers and post incessantly about it. That’s Scoop.

Regarding Homer, everyone has to retire sometime - maybe he’s lost a step. But to suggest that basketball 2023 is beyond his comprehension is just silly.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2023, 04:19:14 PM »
I generally stay away from the game threads - people say a lot of hyperbolic and sometimes downright stupid stuff. I think it’s mostly frustration from passionate fans, though, not misunderstanding of today’s game. There are a couple of Scoopers who long for the gays of players with mid range games or “aircraft carriers”. A couple. And many, many others who exaggerate their numbers and post incessantly about it. That’s Scoop.

Regarding Homer, everyone has to retire sometime - maybe he’s lost a step. But to suggest that basketball 2023 is beyond his comprehension is just silly.

Typo in there, Lenny....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2023, 04:25:42 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2023, 04:27:46 PM »

He started the Michigan State game by saying Marquette needed to establish the run. 

He can start a podcast for old timers that remember short shorts and peach baskets.  It’ll be a hit

tower912

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2023, 04:29:11 PM »
We agree about the game chats, Lenny.   Their main value for me is the comedy they provide after the fact after a win.   Some laugh out loud hot takes.

Nice typo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »
We agree about the game chats, Lenny.   Their main value for me is the comedy they provide after the fact after a win.   Some laugh out loud hot takes.

Nice typo.

Some call the laugh out loud hot takes “The Willie Quotient”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2023, 04:50:14 PM »
There are a few who consistently provide comic relief.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2023, 04:57:45 PM »

I think that's kind of the point.  It's not some crazy hard thing to understand, but it goes beyond Homer's comprehension.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2023, 07:40:20 PM »
I think that's kind of the point.  It's not some crazy hard thing to understand, but it goes beyond Homer's comprehension.

Listen to any of the times Nevada was on the coach's show with Homer. Smith may as well have been speaking a different language. Part of understanding the modern game from a broadcaster perspective is being able to at least understand and explain advanced stats, not act like the interview subject is speaking Sumerian.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2023, 08:33:07 PM »

Nice typo.

I will often go to the in game chats after a win for laughs.

And come to think of it, probably more than a couple of Scoopers long for the gays…not that there’s anything wrong with it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2023, 08:44:46 PM »
And come to think of it, probably more than a couple of Scoopers long for the gays…not that there’s anything wrong with it.

But all of the gays? Seems like a disturbing lack of standards.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #242 on: September 05, 2023, 09:24:24 PM »
how often do you listen to Homer’s game call? I’ll admit, I turn down tv almost every game to listen to his call. Sometimes is difficult to sync tv/radio, but that’s ok. I think his love for Marquette is awesome. When Markus Howard dropped +50 at Providence…Homer was incredible! When MU beat Kentucky in the ncaa’s in ‘03, it sounded like Homer and George were in tears. Awesome!! Homers quirky imperfections are fun, imo.
Keep calling games Homer!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2023, 07:19:40 AM »
how often do you listen to Homer’s game call?

I haven't listened to him in years because he's terrible.  I'd rather listen to Pete Gillen on crack.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2023, 08:30:26 AM »
I haven't listened to him in years because he's terrible.  I'd rather listen to Pete Gillen on crack.
You would have to be on crack to listen to Pete Gillen.  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2023, 02:58:10 PM »
It's pretty obvious Shaka & Co are distancing themselves from Homer.

It's also pretty obvious Homer has been a big MU backer for a long time.

It's also pretty obvious Homer would tell his friends that he's ready for less radio time to save face.

But you all can keep debating these things as if some of them aren't true.  Just keep your own politics out of it.

Ha, yep, came to post this, but instead I wasted too much time reading this thread.  Should have just locked it right there Rock.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2023, 07:30:19 PM »
That’s pretty obvious

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2023, 09:03:11 PM »
I think today was their last radio show.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2023, 05:45:03 AM »
Ha, yep, came to post this, but instead I wasted too much time reading this thread.  Should have just locked it right there Rock.

you guys must be pretty tight ::)
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2023, 06:26:55 AM »
  you guys must be pretty tight ::)

Tight?  You guys?

I don't understand.

edit: Oh, I figured it out.  You think Rocky and I know each other in any capacity other than this board.  Pretty funny, but not wholly unpredictable considering your proclivity for conspiracy theories.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:44:59 AM by Hards Alumni »

feedback