[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Religion is Doomed  (Read 8081 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Religion is Doomed
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2023, 01:57:01 PM »
What? Next you're gonna tell us that Noah didn't really live till he was 950 years old!
If it weren't for that darned flood, we would still be able to live that long. Although, not sure how social security would work if that were the case.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2023, 02:13:16 PM »
If it weren't for that darned flood, we would still be able to live that long. Although, not sure how social security would work if that were the case.

They'd have to raise the full retirement age from 67 to 670, which sounds like a current Republican plan to save social security.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2023, 02:18:59 PM »
They'd have to raise the full retirement age from 67 to 670, which sounds like a current Republican plan to save social security.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2023, 03:02:02 PM »

#Nadjoke

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2023, 06:11:26 PM »
Yeah the number of people in modern society who are unable or unwilling to distinguish mythos from history is discouraging.

The resurrection is not a myth. If it were Christianity would have been crushed by the Romans a long time ago, as Christians were a threat to the Emperors and declared enemies of the state. I trust the testimony of those who witnessed Christ's life, death and resurrection. There is a reason it is called the New Testament and not a History.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2023, 06:18:04 PM »
The resurrection is not a myth. If it were Christianity would have been crushed by the Romans a long time ago, as Christians were a threat to the Emperors and declared enemies of the state. I trust the testimony of those who witnessed Christ's life, death and resurrection. There is a reason it is called the New Testament and not a History.

I saw a dinosaur come back to life in a movie
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2023, 06:19:17 PM »

IMO “the resurrection” is a symbolic representation of the hope in eternal life by the grace of God. That doesn’t need a physical resurrection to take place.

Your opinion is probably no different than those early Corinthians whom Paul addressed in First Corinthians Chapter 15 to convince them otherwise.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2023, 06:29:09 PM »
I saw a dinosaur come back to life in a movie

...and Paul and the others actually saw Christ come back to life.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2023, 06:35:15 PM »
...and Paul and the others actually saw Christ come back to life.

Gabriel appeared to Muhammad in a cave and called him “The Prophet of Allah”.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2023, 06:41:07 PM »
Muhammad split the moon in two. Lots of people witnessed it.

But that's just a fairy tale. Jesus' sh!t was real.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2023, 06:41:11 PM »
Gabriel appeared to Muhammad in a cave and called him “The Prophet of Allah”.

Osiris posthumously impregnated Isis with their son, Horus who overtook his father's murderer's throne and completed Osiris's resurrection.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2023, 06:45:59 PM »
Mocking someone's beliefs is awesome!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
Your opinion is probably no different than those early Corinthians whom Paul addressed in First Corinthians Chapter 15 to convince them otherwise.

I mean, maybe Paul was wrong. He was an odd dude.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2023, 06:54:09 PM »

I mean, if longevity and survival in the face of adversity is the test of what makes a true religion, Christianity isn't alone in that regard.

And I trust actual science more than 2,000 year old eye-witness accounts passed down from a verbal tradition until someone decided to write it down.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2023, 07:00:17 PM »

I mean, if longevity and survival in the face of adversity is the test of what makes a true religion, Christianity isn't alone in that regard.

And I trust actual science more than 2,000 year old eye-witness accounts passed down from a verbal tradition until someone decided to write it down.
Just curious, what is actual science when it comes to the (alleged) son of God?

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »
Just curious, what is actual science when it comes to the (alleged) son of God?

Thousands of years of people not actually rising from the dead after three days.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2023, 08:03:08 PM »
Thousands of years of people not actually rising from the dead after three days.
So, no actual science when it comes to the son of God. You cannot disprove the resurrection.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2023, 08:18:54 PM »
So, no actual science when it comes to the son of God. You cannot disprove the resurrection.

The burden of proof is squarely on the shoulders of those making the claim.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2023, 08:22:27 PM »
Paul absolutely did not see Jesus.   His conversion was years later.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2023, 08:48:43 PM »
The burden of proof is squarely on the shoulders of those making the claim.
Why is that? I'm not here to convince you. If you don't believe, that is your right.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2023, 09:01:59 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2023, 09:23:43 PM »
Yes.  Paul did not see Jesus come back to life.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2023, 09:26:33 PM »
Why is that? I'm not here to convince you. If you don't believe, that is your right.

You are asking someone to prove a negative, that is you taking one side.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2023, 09:51:12 PM »
After five takes of this debate, I find much of the discussion interesting and I do hope that some of the esteemed faith leaders at Marquette are reading this. There are exceptional arguments on both sides of religion and many things I've heard for years.

As a person of faith, I admit I struggle with the literal concept of the Resurrection. The notion that Jesus died the awful death He did and then suddenly rose three days later, appearing only to a closed group of disciples, seems extremely far fetched. That's why I identify so much with St. Thomas. He's the patron saint of due diligence.

What I believe as a Catholic Christian is that the Resurrection is a metaphor for the oneness we attain with God on our own death. That's a concept that's hard to communicate in any generation, especially 2000 years ago. A metaphysical Resurrection becomes a "real" one because it's much easier to tell and far more convincing. We gain oneness with God because we accept the challenges God puts before us and handle them in a way consistent with the teachings of Jesus.

For those of you who don't believe, I get that too! One of the most compelling conversations with my own father was a couple years before he died when we were travelling together. He was a CCD teacher and a champion of our faith and I finally had the courage to ask, "do you ever have trouble believing?" His answer was shocking: "of course I do." But he went on to explain the universe is too perfect to believe there is no God. He noted that God may not be what we think God is or should be, but we'll find out soon enough!

Good answer for an engineer!

I admire those whose faith is so strong they "know." Our own Cardinal George in Chicago, when he announced he was dying of bladder cancer, said he was "excited about the fact that he's about to meet God." I truly wish that I could feel the way the Cardinal did. But my own public views notwithstanding, I don't have THAT level of faith. Maybe I'll get there someday. In the meantime, you do the best you can and hope for growth as a person.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2023, 03:39:32 AM »

I’m claiming that Jesus was a regular ole human who died like every every other human either did or will do. Claiming that he was the Son of God and therefore special in that manner is your theory. Burden of proof is yours.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:42:08 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »