collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Religion is Doomed  (Read 6969 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Religion is Doomed
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2023, 08:11:26 AM »
Amen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
I wouldn't say a huge majority, but rather a vocal, and oftentimes powerful, minority.

Agree. Jockey's take was way over the top.

Still, the vocal minority is not small, and it's very powerful. Leadership in at least two dozen states work overtime to force their Christianity on a population that collectively has tens of millions of Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, atheists, etc. They do it unapologetically, brazenly and usually with great hypocrisy as they pick and choose which facets of Christianity suit their narratives.

And in forcing their views of Christianity on their citizens, many of these "leaders" do so with an intense level of cruelness and hate aimed at their most vulnerable constituents -- just as Jesus would have done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
Never forget that a huge majority of “christians” gleefully voted for a rapist. They gave him a mulligan.

This is incorrect.
A huge majority of white evangelical Christians voted for him. But white evangelicals make up less than a quarter of all Christians.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2023, 09:51:18 AM »
I could go on about this all day. There's some core trends in society -- including both the concept of individual freedom and an explosion of knowledge -- that's working against all religions in their most traditional form. But, what's evident in this thread is the concept of God compared to the concept of doing evil in His name.

Key issue for Christianity: what does the teachings of Jesus tell us about how we should live our lives? We have millions and millions of words of scripture but the whole thing boils down to one Great commandment" "Love God with your whole heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself." That's God's command for all of us.

When I was visiting the Vatican a few years back, I was struck by the paradox of the core teaching of Jesus and the art on the walls showing Christians in battle, fighting infidels. In Salzburg, we visited a bishop's castle where he tortured heretics. These are not prayer driven acts of God but acts of sinful men and women (mostly men) who grossly misinterpreted the word of God.

The same can be said of Klansmen who used Biblical teaching to justify racial discrimination, whippings and even murder of African Americans. If one truly understands the word of God, then this isn't appropriate behavior.

As long as passing the Word is entrusted to people, there's going to be sin and sinners. There's always going to be people who profit off the word of God. But the inherent goodness of God's word should enable us to overcome those who would abuse religion for personal needs. It isn't easy -- trust me, I know.

Finally, Sister, Chick, I know exactly what you mean. Growing up, as we did, in Nashville left Catholics as a rather diverse ethnic group. Heck, there even was a neighborhood called "Vatican Valley" that was located in the hollow below St. Henry's Church. We tended to hang together.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2023, 10:06:59 AM »
This is incorrect.
A huge majority of white evangelical Christians voted for him. But white evangelicals make up less than a quarter of all Christians.

This is the "not all Cubs fans" argument.

Sadly, the loud folks in any given fandom are the memorable ones.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2023, 10:15:26 AM »
The meaning of life is not and never has been a mystery. It is to live.

Well said. One of my pet peeves is people searching for the meaning of life. And they do this while life is swirling around them every day.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2023, 10:33:31 AM »
1. When it comes to deities and the like, believe what you want to believe.
2. Respect how or what others believe (or disbelieve).
3. Don't impose your beliefs on others who don't share them.
4. Don't cry foul when people call you out for not living in accordance with your professed beliefs. Thank them.

The Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have others unto you.

And with quotes from other religions.
https://www.xavier.edu/jesuitresource/online-resources/quote-archive1/golden-rule#:~:text=Top%

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
Well said. One of my pet peeves is people searching for the meaning of life. And they do this while life is swirling around them every day.
Serious question. Why is this one of your "pet peeves"? If someone wants to go on a vision quest to find meaning, why does that concern you?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »
Serious question. Why is this one of your "pet peeves"? If someone wants to go on a vision quest to find meaning, why does that concern you?

It was tongue-in-cheek (sort of).

But mainly because they think it is some deep, deep mystery we will never find the answer to plus then they talk incessantly about their search.

Maybe my wife and I were just lucky to know why we were here without ever having to ‘search’.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2023, 05:49:22 PM »
Honestly, I feel sorry for people that lean on religion. If that's what you need to get through your day/week/life, I guess you do you, but I really feel like it saps all meaning out of the life we are actually living. It doesn't really matter what happens here, you think you have a get out of jail free card in the afterlife. When you know there isn't an afterlife, then this reality is all you have. The decisions you make here, the life you live here is what actually matters.

I don't know...life would feel pretty meaningless if it were all just a precursor to an afterlife. Just means that everything that happens here doesn't actually matter. How depressing.

But I guess whatever floats your boat.

if you were referring to me brew, i don't lean nor wear my religion on my sleeve.  one can be spiritual without needing to make it known that you are trying to do the best you can, given the circumstances, for your higher power. 

i'm just saying for those who don't have a "higher power" to seek for peace, guidance or whatever, my opinion is, i would feel lonely, like something is missing.  where does the conscience go?  for me, ones conscience is their soul; where the real person resides-that's what floats my boat
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »
If you keep your beliefs to yourself, then go on about your day. But as much as condescending rocket "feels sorry" for me, I honestly think he misses the point of what life is actually about. The meaning of life is not and never has been a mystery. It is to live. And you can't maximize that if you believe this life is less important than a hypothetical afterlife.

brew, i truly believe you would see my point if you could put aside your disdain for my politics and anything else i may write here that pisses you off.  you have trouble separating the two-my opinion on religion and my "other view points"  you should probably try sitting back and listening to some of the other comments-wags, doggie, 

don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »

I don’t understand why you view these as mutually exclusive options. One can maximize their living in this life and still believe in an afterlife.

I disagree. The idea of an afterlife, particularly an eternal one, lessens the importance and meaning of the actual human experience. It can't not.

Think of life as currency. If you had infinite currency, the value of the individual dollar is meaningless. In life, moments are that currency, and if life is eternal, then in comparison life is meaningless. It is the finality of life that gives it meaning. All the more reason to live it while you can.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2023, 06:39:49 PM »
I disagree. The idea of an afterlife, particularly an eternal one, lessens the importance and meaning of the actual human experience. It can't not.

Think of life as currency. If you had infinite currency, the value of the individual dollar is meaningless. In life, moments are that currency, and if life is eternal, then in comparison life is meaningless. It is the finality of life that gives it meaning. All the more reason to live it while you can.

What if the afterlife sucks? Think life isUS dollars and afterlife is Zimbabwean dollars.  ;D

And more importantly why do they call it afterlife? What if this is just one of many lives? And after this is just another life?

And from what I’ve read here, the purpose of life is to be critical of the #mubb program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2023, 07:32:59 PM »

Yeah I just don’t view life as a currency or anything like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »
This is incorrect.

Yeah, Clinton was a POS, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2023, 08:24:35 PM »

Yeah, Clinton was a POS, aina?

Bill or Hillary? Or Chelsea? Or George?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2023, 08:28:08 PM »
All of 'em, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2023, 08:09:50 AM »
What does going to school at Marquette have to do with understanding the destruction caused for centuries by religion?  Or understanding if there is a god, pretty safe bet none of the religions of the world have a clue about such a thing?  Or understanding the dangerous road America is on forcing religious zealotry on citizens who don’t believe in such things?

I know Marquette is becoming less and less a Catholic institution, but when I attended we were required to have completed 12 credits in theology for Catholic students and 6 for non-Catholics. Theology courses were only 2 credits back then. I was also required to take 9 credits in Philosophy though I majored in Chemistry and Biology.

One of the courses I studied were the Letters of St. Paul. In his first Letter to the Corinthians Chapter 15 he clearly states that if Christ did not raise from the dead then Christianity is a lie. The Corinthians were a tough crowd and many did not believe in the resurrection of the dead and he understood what was at stake. He did not just believe Christ rose from the dead like most Christians, and he had more than a clue, he witnessed it along with many others and has a clear understanding that there is a God in Our Lord Jesus Christ and whoever believes in Him shall not perish.

As to religion causing destruction over the centuries I have no doubt, but religion can be a cause for good and creation as well.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2023, 08:20:56 AM »
One can believe in God, and follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, without believing in the immaculate conception or that he physically rose from the dead. I can even go with divinely inspired, or a prophet, but I'm not going to believe in something that is inherently not believable.

So I don't think Paul is right about this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2023, 08:44:03 AM »
Yeah I just don’t view life as a currency or anything like that.

It was just an analogy, but it's a stark reality that the more limited something we desire is, the more value we place on it. If you view existence as infinite, it's pretty much impossible to have the same regard for that which is finite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
It was just an analogy, but it's a stark reality that the more limited something we desire is, the more value we place on it. If you view existence as infinite, it's pretty much impossible to have the same regard for that which is finite.
Your big assumption here is that if people believed there was not God/afterlife, they would live their life to the fullest, and treat people with respect. I would argue the opposite would happen. People would get a serious case of the F**kits.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »

I think I get what you’re trying to say, and I believe deeply in a contemplative life. I live life even more fully by asking questions, by searching rather than immediately condemning or approving. I’m searching for the many meanings of life, it might be ever changing, helps me personally understand and respect people a little more, which I definitely need to improve. People are so damn smart and have way bigger and different world views than I do. To me, that is exciting.

As an aside…what if we are currently in the/an afterlife?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2023, 10:00:25 AM »

Certainly a fair and understandable train of thought. What if someone who believes in an afterlife uses this life to prove they are worthy of another chance, a better chance? What if a belief in an afterlife helps people be better now knowing the next life/afterlife might be a reckoning, a reward? Maybe it’s easy to act a certain way if we think this is the be all, end all.

I don’t think necessarily that infinite currency makes the individual dollar meaningless. To the contrary, what if infinite currency opens up limitless possibilities?

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »

Unless you view the earthly life and the afterlife as two distinct things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2023, 10:27:18 AM »
Your big assumption here is that if people believed there was not God/afterlife, they would live their life to the fullest, and treat people with respect. I would argue the opposite would happen. People would get a serious case of the F**kits.

Or maybe you and brew need to meet somewhere in the middle because each individual is different.

Maybe some religious folks live life to the fullest and treat people with respect, and others don't. And some non-religious folks live life to the fullest and treat people with respect, and others don't.

Crazy, I know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson