collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 5 best baseball players of your lifetime  (Read 4515 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
5 best baseball players of your lifetime
« on: June 30, 2023, 11:28:54 AM »
Saw this on the tweeter machine and thought I’d bring it here.  In your lifetime, not all-time, who were the 5 best players in your mind.

My baseball memories begin in 1981, so I’ll start.

My five are, in no particular order:

- Greg Maddux
- Barry Bonds
- Mariano Rivera
- Ichiro
- Tony Gwynn
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 5 best baseball players of your lifetime
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 11:31:55 AM »
Bonds, Shohei, Trout, Griffey, Jr., and ARod
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 11:34:37 AM »
Mantle, Aaron, Bonds, Ohtani, Mays

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 11:37:15 AM »
Bonds, Shohei, Trout, Griffey, Jr., and ARod

Always wonder about Griffey.  Losing the ‘94 season end to the strike and a chunk of ‘95 to injury in his prime hurt his overall numbers.  Couple that with the abuse his legs took on the turf at the Kingdome, feels like he got cheated of even a greater career

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »
Molina
Wainright
Carpenter
Edmonds
Pujols

But seriously:
Clemente
Bonds
Maddux
ARod
Ohtani

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 12:16:21 PM »
- Tony Gwynn

How close do you have Boggs to Gwynn? I think I may lean toward Wade.

Kirby Puckett… so amazing. Hate that his career (and life) got cut short. Many great memories of him.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 12:20:56 PM »
How close do you have Boggs to Gwynn? I think I may lean toward Wade.

Kirby Puckett… so amazing. Hate that his career (and life) got cut short. Many great memories of him.

Boggs over Gwynn is perfectly fine.  Boggs took twice as many walks.  Both were similar in power numbers.  Boggs played in a more friendly ballpark, especially for lefties but to his credit, took advantage of it.  I was always more fascinated watching Gwynn hit.

I probably have an anti-Kirby view because of how he raked against the Brewers.  However, his game 6 in the ‘91 series was one of my favorite moments in baseball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »
I probably have an anti-Kirby view because of how he raked against the Brewers.  However, his game 6 in the ‘91 series was one of my favorite moments in baseball.

Understandable. ‘87 at County Stadium… day before went 4/5 w 2 dingers… next game, 6/6 with another 2 HRs, plus robbed Yount of a grand slam… so great.

Having been at game 7 in 1987, I think maybe the only sporting event that could top it for me would be another MU national championship. Vikings SB win would be up there too, but I don’t like even trying to think about that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 12:37:19 PM »
Understandable. ‘87 at County Stadium… day before went 4/5 w 2 dingers… next game, 6/6 with another 2 HRs, plus robbed Yount of a grand slam… so great.

Having been at game 7 in 1987, I think maybe the only sporting event that could top it for me would be another MU national championship. Vikings SB win would be up there too, but I don’t like even trying to think about that.

Those games in ‘87 were wild.  Still remember them vividly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Interesting topic, Unk.

My “lifetime” and my baseball-watching years are different, of course.

The former includes the likes of Koufax, Gibson, Mays and Aaron in their primes. By the time I really tuned in, though, they were either retired or all but done.

Assuming that you meant the latter, and that juicing nomatta …

A-Rod, Bonds, Griffey, Pedro, Rickey.

Two more great years and Shohei moves to the top of the heap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 12:43:23 PM »
Pete Rose
Hank Aaron
Johnny Bench
Frank Robinson
Mike Schmidt
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 12:46:47 PM »
87 was bizarre. 85-77. Negative run differential. 4.63 team ERA. 4th & 5th pitchers combined for a ~6.11 ERA (Mike smithson & an elderly Joe Niekro). But, we got the job done

#CardsSuck

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »
Saw this on the tweeter machine and thought I’d bring it here.  In your lifetime, not all-time, who were the 5 best players in your mind.

- Greg Maddux
- Barry Bonds
- Mariano Rivera
- Ichiro
- Tony Gwynn

Bonds
Rose
Griffey Jr.
Maddux
Trout

Hard to do.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 01:20:10 PM »
87 was bizarre. 85-77. Negative run differential. 4.63 team ERA. 4th & 5th pitchers combined for a ~6.11 ERA (Mike smithson & an elderly Joe Niekro). But, we got the job done

#CardsSuck

Quality air management.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 02:00:17 PM »

- Greg Maddux
- Barry Bonds
- Mariano Rivera
- Ichiro
- Tony Gwynn
Maddux, Rivera, Ichiro definitely in the conversation.

Bonds: very good player pre-steroids, but far from top-5. Can't agree that steroid Barry should be included but realize that is a whole separate discussion that has already spilled an infinite amount of digital ink.

Gwynn? Great average hitter. I guess.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »
Bonds was one of the top players of all time even before steroids.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 02:11:03 PM »
Bonds was one of the top players of all time even before steroids.
IMO, he was very good in his prime, but far from top players all time. Pre-steroids, was he in the same conversation with Ruth, Williams, Spahn, Mays, Matthews, et al?

Steroids, of course, allowed him to be beyond top players of all time at a time in his career when others are barely hanging on or out of the game.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 02:21:32 PM »

You're lucky to have been there in '87, JB. I have never heard any sports facility louder than the Metrodome was after Hrbek hit his grand slam in Game 6. I have many great memories of Puckett, too, one of my personal faves when I was in Minnesota, and his performance in 1991 Game 6 was an all-timer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 02:29:18 PM »
Molina                     Gibson
Wainright                 Brock
Carpenter                 Pujols
Edmonds                 Ozzie
Pujols                      McGee

My kind of list. Since I probably am older, I made a broader list of Cardinals I'd seen.

Now for my true list:

Aaron
Mays
Clemente
Barry Bonds
Pete Rose

Pitchers
Gibson
Seaver
Maddux
Koufax (yes, I saw him and he lives just down the road from me)
Carlton (and this one really hurts!)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 02:29:49 PM »
You're lucky to have been there in '87, JB. I have never heard any sports facility louder than the Metrodome was after Hrbek hit his grand slam in Game 6. I have many great memories of Puckett, too, one of my personal faves when I was in Minnesota, and his performance in 1991 Game 6 was an all-timer.

Incredibly fortunate. Back then, went to 25-30 games a year.

Said my goodbyes to Kirby over 15 years ago at the Dome. It was a rainy night. I drove the few miles from my house and went alone. Tears were shed, but I was not alone.

Btw, my homie’s stepson has his MLB debut tonight. Starting on the hill for KC Vs the Catholic-hating Dodgers. Hoping for the best for him. Milwaukee kid.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 02:33:33 PM »
I'm going to start with 1969, when I was 5 and paying attention.  And then go with only players I saw at their peak (so no Mays, Aaron, Gibson, Clemente, Mantle, Koufax etc):

Rickey Henderson
Barry Bonds
Albert Pujols (heart says Frank Thomas, and they had similar 10 year streaks, but Albert gets nod)
Ichiro
Ohtani

Pitchers (I'd put position players above pitchers every time bc they play every day, and position players above DH's bc they play D):

Bruce Sutter
Mariano Rivera
Roger Clements
Greg Maddox
Pedro Martinez

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 02:42:20 PM »
Incredibly fortunate. Back then, went to 25-30 games a year.

Said my goodbyes to Kirby over 15 years ago at the Dome. It was a rainy night. I drove the few miles from my house and went alone. Tears were shed, but I was not alone.

Btw, my homie’s stepson has his MLB debut tonight. Starting on the hill for KC Vs the Catholic-hating Dodgers. Hoping for the best for him. Milwaukee kid.

Hook me up with some nice seats and I'll go cheer him on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »
Jay Bee

I remember those games back in '87. Simply amazing. He was a great player and clutch.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2023, 02:53:37 PM »
Maddux, Rivera, Ichiro definitely in the conversation.

Bonds: very good player pre-steroids, but far from top-5. Can't agree that steroid Barry should be included but realize that is a whole separate discussion that has already spilled an infinite amount of digital ink.

Gwynn? Great average hitter. I guess.

Gwynn is the greatest hitter I’ve seen in my life.  I could listen to him talk hitting for hours.  Given how the game is played today, give me a million average hitters

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2023, 03:06:20 PM »
Gwynn is the greatest hitter I’ve seen in my life.  I could listen to him talk hitting for hours.  Given how the game is played today, give me a million average hitters
Gwynn was very, very good. IMO just not top 5 of his era or my lifetime. Amazing hitter no doubt. I see him as basically very much the same player as Rod Carew, who I would rate as very , very good but not top 5.