collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adios AA  (Read 15389 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Adios AA
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »
   you will never get a poll showing the absolute accurate results unless you poll 100% of the people which we all know is not feasible.  the ways so many ways polls are worded, where and who they poll and then of course, the integrity of the pollster all go in to figuring the margins of error.  with all that said, who really knows, but it's the best barometer we have. 

with all of the polarization and media slants, power struggles, most people don't even know half of what's going on today.  so many have opinions without even understanding the ramifications except their own "knee jerk" thoughts. 

AA at it's core is not healthy.  we all want only the best of everything we do and participate in.  i know the examples can go on and on, but does anyone want the "c" candidate to fly them, to operate on them, to manage their finances and taxes, etc etc

The false narrative you are pushing is that AA candidates are not qualified to even be admitted to these elite universities. By the time race was even considered was deep in the process when choosing between candidates that were all qualified.

That being said, I think it was the right decision. And schools have been preparing for it for awhile.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2023, 05:18:27 PM »
and i'll try this again as it seems i didn't give you the answer you wanted-

i believe it is a means to measure whether or not that person has the capacity to move on to the next level with greater certainty of success at that point in time.  a person with a lower GPA and/or SAT scores could enroll in an alternative program to raise their core knowledge to say, the level closer to those with better scores.

you asked me if i "believe" and my answer is above

i'm going to have to let you guys in on a dirty little secret-you guys don't have a monopoly on the answers to everything.  you may think you do and that's what's so weird. 

so you guys are even smarter than majority of scotus-congrats!  and that's why you are here posting on some b-ball message board

82-btw, the 1/6/21 incident has been blown WAY WAY out of proportion by you guys because you have the "media" whipping you into a froth.  take a pill, have a hot toddy and go check out what really happened.  there were probably a few hundred bad actors charged and rightly so.  the violence post george floyd and the anti police riots were much much worse, far more damage and lives lost

8.5 out of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2023, 06:18:23 PM »
The false narrative you are pushing is that AA candidates are not qualified to even be admitted to these elite universities. By the time race was even considered was deep in the process when choosing between candidates that were all qualified.

That being said, I think it was the right decision. And schools have been preparing for it for awhile.
Well said. Unqualified students were not being admitted. Less qualified were being admitted over more qualified, but all were qualified. I think that gets lost in the conversation and both sides of the argument need to do a better job with that message.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2023, 07:01:37 PM »

I’m really surprised that you would downplay the violent attempt to overthrow a legitimate election. 🙄

i didn't push a false narrative...never said AA candidates are not qualified.  AA at it's core is not healthy-choosing students based on skin color/ethnic background(except for asians of course) is not good.  how do you define an AA student?  there are many so called AA students who can qualify on their own merit and hence, the bias against many minority students. 

to "over throw an election" ??  seriously?  that's what you actually thought that was?  so what were all the riots post george floyd??  attempts to over throw entire cities?  if 1/6 was an attempt to over throw an election, it was a pretty piss poor one at that. hey, why did nance call off the extra security
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2023, 07:02:20 PM »
Ben Carsons nuanced take on the matter.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/2014/02/23/ben-s-carson-column-beyond-affirmative-action/5707813/

Ben Carson has nailed the entire AA nonsense in two concise paragraphs, hey?

"The real question is this: Who should receive extra consideration from a nation that has a tradition of cheering for the underdog? I don’t believe race determines underdog status today. Rather, it is the circumstances of one’s life that should be considered.

Such a strategy demonstrates sensitivity and compassion, as well as recognition of substantial achievement in the face of difficult obstacles. The groups who benefit from compassionate action will probably change over time."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #380 on: July 08, 2023, 07:22:04 PM »

Ben Carson has nailed the entire AA nonsense in two concise paragraphs, hey?

"The real question is this: Who should receive extra consideration from a nation that has a tradition of cheering for the underdog? I don’t believe race determines underdog status today. Rather, it is the circumstances of one’s life that should be considered.

Such a strategy demonstrates sensitivity and compassion, as well as recognition of substantial achievement in the face of difficult obstacles. The groups who benefit from compassionate action will probably change over time."

So then why does this guy who reached where he is today through the assistance of public housing and food stamps want to eliminate all that? He himself admits that his aptitude scores were impressive “for a public school kid in Detroit “. He was helped through difficult circumstances to achieve very impressive things. (I got mine)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2023, 07:28:56 PM »
speaking of AA, looks like ketanji was just a bit outside with her opinion on AA.  it actually sounds kinda racist if ya axk me, but whatever, right?

so black docs can save at risk new borns over "other" docs?  btw, what does she care about "saving" new borns at risk when it's really up to the mother and her doctor anywy

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2023, 07:57:26 PM »
speaking of AA, looks like ketanji was just a bit outside with her opinion on AA.  it actually sounds kinda racist if ya axk me, but whatever, right?

so black docs can save at risk new borns over "other" docs?  btw, what does she care about "saving" new borns at risk when it's really up to the mother and her doctor anywy

The Know Nothing mentality never ceases to amaze me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2023, 08:02:42 PM »

That was too mean
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:07:29 PM by Uncle Rico »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2023, 08:05:18 PM »
So then why does this guy who reached where he is today through the assistance of public housing and food stamps want to eliminate all that? He himself admits that his aptitude scores were impressive “for a public school kid in Detroit “. He was helped through difficult circumstances to achieve very impressive things. (I got mine)

It's a very boomer mentality

• All American
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »
  to "over throw an election" ??  seriously?  that's what you actually thought that was?

Then what exactly do you think it was?

<getting popcorn ready>
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2023, 08:13:31 PM »
11 of 10. Worms for brains.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2023, 08:15:08 PM »
   to "over throw an election" ??  seriously?  that's what you actually thought that was?  so what were all the riots post george floyd??  attempts to over throw entire cities?  if 1/6 was an attempt to over throw an election, it was a pretty piss poor one at that. hey, why did nance call off the extra security
Just a thingee, folks. A disturbance by about 20 people. Nothing out of the ordinary, everyone can relax.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2023, 10:34:39 PM »

Wow, roQQet, that's impressive: an old white guy using ebonics (again) while calling a Black person "racist." Even more unhinged than usual from you, which is saying something.

But what can we expect from a guy who lies repeatedly about the seriousness of a violent coup attempt against the United States at the behest of an unhinged, lame-duck president?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 10:37:15 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2023, 11:39:07 PM »

You should be more concerned with the racial disparities on mortality that she referenced and is found in the article below.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1913405117

Her point was valid.

And you should be ashamed of your above post.

• All American
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2023, 05:01:25 AM »
You should be more concerned with the racial disparities on mortality that she referenced and is found in the article below.

Her point was valid.

He isn’t. He actually thinks it’s funny.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2023, 06:02:36 AM »

Her point was valid.

i am always concerned about any mortality, especially abortion mortalities as completely helpless human beings are being murdered.  to be ashamed of a post pointing out an error made by a scotus to further AA with a false narrative??  you've got to be kidding me.  how does this even get into the monumental decision??  AA is life or death now??  it's ok if one wants to make an argument for AA but i expect better from scotus

so let me get this straight...you guys have a force field around a certain people and they can do no wrong?  noting those who came out to criticize my post, that seems to be the "playbook" on your side of the fence.  so now, criticism of people of chosen ethnic backgrounds is off limits?? that is a problem you should be ashamed of

wrong is wrong people and she should have known better, those around her should have known better

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2023, 06:12:15 AM »
  i am always concerned about any mortality, especially abortion mortalities as completely helpless human beings are being murdered.  to be ashamed of a post pointing out an error made by a scotus to further AA with a false narrative??  you've got to be kidding me.  how does this even get into the monumental decision??  AA is life or death now??  it's ok if one wants to make an argument for AA but i expect better from scotus

so let me get this straight...you guys have a force field around a certain people and they can do no wrong?  noting those who came out to criticize my post, that seems to be the "playbook" on your side of the fence.  so now, criticism of people of chosen ethnic backgrounds is off limits?? that is a problem you should be ashamed of

wrong is wrong people and she should have known better, those around her should have known better

5 out of 10

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2023, 06:17:43 AM »

Irony is dead

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2023, 11:21:49 AM »
https://canadafreepress.com/article/who-was-chairman-mao-lionized-by-obamas-white-house

Co-founder of the Brownskirts wants to let you know they stand behind their Hitler quote:

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1677705838092247041
Here’s Tiffany Justice, co-founder of ‘Mom’s for Liberty,’ saying “One of our mom’s quoted Hitler in their newsletter. I stand with that mom!” to raucous applause from the crowd.
@Moms4Liberty is not ashamed to be a hate group, just as long as they aren’t in mixed company.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2023, 11:27:53 AM »
Hitler was so misunderstood. And hey, the Jews had it coming.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2023, 02:44:24 PM »
   you will never get a poll showing the absolute accurate results unless you poll 100% of the people which we all know is not feasible.  the ways so many ways polls are worded, where and who they poll and then of course, the integrity of the pollster all go in to figuring the margins of error.  with all that said, who really knows, but it's the best barometer we have. 

with all of the polarization and media slants, power struggles, most people don't even know half of what's going on today.  so many have opinions without even understanding the ramifications except their own "knee jerk" thoughts. 

AA at it's core is not healthy.  we all want only the best of everything we do and participate in.  i know the examples can go on and on, but does anyone want the "c" candidate to fly them, to operate on them, to manage their finances and taxes, etc etc

What you're forgetting is that "the C candidate" will go on to receive a world class education and perhaps even further credentials if proceeding through grad school.  If they don't, they are not going to operate on anybody, or do anybody's taxes, etc. 

So your plan is to lock in the credentials of an 18 year old for life?  Glad that didn't happen to my buddy who is now a brain surgeon at a major hospital in California.  If you want to check the credentials of every pilot, doctor, and cpa at the age of 18, then you would never fly, have a medical procedure, or let someone give you tax advice ever again. 

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2023, 02:52:30 PM »
Your question leads to an obvious answer: No. It's why universities - elite and otherwise - need to have latitude in selecting their students. Test scores and GPAs can only tell admissions officers so much.

Your "before you answer" line raises another good point: Where one goes to college probably is less important than it's often portrayed. That John Glenn could become so accomplished at so much despite going to Muskingum College, followed by a stint at the Civilian Pilot Training Program, could be an argument for "See, nobody really needs to go to an elite college anyway."

But everyone knows the advantages built into attending such schools. Perhaps even more than the academics, the connections one can make are huge. And the injustice of denying perfectly capable prospects just because of their life circumstances ... that's why affirmative action became a thing in the first place.

Fortunately, as others have stated, many (most?) top universities will find a way to work around SCOTUS' decision.

Either that or Harvard's next entering class is 48% Asian. 

I for one think that Harvard should should give it a go: Implement a completely anonymous application process.  Only academic merit counts and NOTHING else.  C'mon, let's do it.  Are you with me? If not, why not?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2023, 04:10:00 PM »
What you're forgetting is that "the C candidate" will go on to receive a world class education and perhaps even further credentials if proceeding through grad school.  If they don't, they are not going to operate on anybody, or do anybody's taxes, etc. 

So your plan is to lock in the credentials of an 18 year old for life?  Glad that didn't happen to my buddy who is now a brain surgeon at a major hospital in California.  If you want to check the credentials of every pilot, doctor, and cpa at the age of 18, then you would never fly, have a medical procedure, or let someone give you tax advice ever again.

you guys either don't want to understand what i said or are being willfully short sighted-put aside your hate for me over polarizing politics for one second if you can, learn how to compartmentalize, maintain man, maintain

go back and read my comment with respect to getting their core knowledge up and becoming more prepared for the rigors of a "harvard" or a "stanford".  some just aren't ready to make that big jump right away.  some mature at a slower rate.  some are late bloomers...whatever...that's all.  i never said the AA student of today is not worthy of becoming a fill in the blank professional or what have you-

my earlier comment regarding SAT scores GPA or whatever else is being used to calibrate a students proficiency levels-
 i believe it is a means to measure whether or not that person has the capacity to move on to the next level with greater certainty of success at that point in time.  a person with a lower GPA and/or SAT scores could enroll in an alternative program to raise their core knowledge to say, the level closer to those with better scores.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2023, 04:25:22 PM »
Either that or Harvard's next entering class is 48% Asian. 

I for one think that Harvard should should give it a go: Implement a completely anonymous application process.  Only academic merit counts and NOTHING else.  C'mon, let's do it.  Are you with me? If not, why not?

How do you assess academic merit? It is not as simple as you are implying it to be.

feedback