[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adios AA  (Read 14402 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Adios AA
« on: June 29, 2023, 01:52:25 PM »
Admission to college to be based on merit and not just checking the right boxes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Adios AA
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 01:53:47 PM »
Admission to college to be based on merit and not just checking the right boxes, hey?

Absolutely.  Just ask all those legacy kids...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 01:53:56 PM »
Too bad we haven't fixed the need for it, yet.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
Merit like Jarod Kushner and George Bush?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 01:54:23 PM »
They ended legacy admissions?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »
My unborn child could be a D1 rower for the right price...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »
Thank goodness! College is safe again!

IBTL
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 02:05:48 PM »
AA really did a disservice to those admitted. For example, in my daughter's high school class was an African American student who matriculated to Harvard. He was arguably one of the brightest students I've run across... AP Scholar, National Merit Finalist. Unfortunately, he'll likely go through life with people saying he got in to Harvard based on AA. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He earned it.
The current Press Secretary, on the other hand, is an entirely different story, hey?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 02:10:31 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 02:09:27 PM »
AA really did a disservice to those admitted. For example, in my daughter's high school school was an African American student who matriculated to Harvard. He was arguably one of the brightest students I've run across... AP Scholar, National Merit Finalist. Unfortunately, he'll likely go through life with people saying he got in to Harvard based on AA. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He earned it.

Why do you make that assumption?
Maybe only dentists think like that.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 02:10:02 PM »
AA really did a disservice to those admitted. For example, in my daughter's high school school was an African American student who matriculated to Harvard. He was arguably one of the brightest students I've run across... AP Scholar, National Merit Finalist. Unfortunately, he'll likely go through life with people saying he got in to Harvard based on AA. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He earned it.
The current Press Secretary, on the other hand, is an entirely different story, hey?
If that's the biggest problem of AA, that is a successful program

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 02:15:32 PM »
Why do you make that assumption?
Maybe only dentists think like that.

Shut up and drill
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 02:16:07 PM »
And all this time, I thought Alcoholics Anonymous helped people. Can't believe we have to say adios to AA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 02:21:46 PM »
Unfortunately, he'll likely go through life with people racists saying he got in to Harvard based on AA. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He earned it.

FTFY.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »
And all this time, I thought Alcoholics Anonymous helped people. Can't believe we have to say adios to AA.

AA is another example of America being fool in’ soft, aina?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »
Merit like Jarod Kushner and George Bush?

And Malia Obama?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2023, 02:31:36 PM »
This ruling will be controversial but the reality is it the demographics of college have changed and will continue to change.  Females are now the vast majority of college students and whites will soon be under 50%. What's interesting is that it is the Asians who filed these lawsuits as they were stuck in a quota system.  The reality is AA and Title IX have become in parts largely obsolete over time as to what was intended (mostly by demographics naturally).

These laws shouldn't be evergreened but should be updated to reflect 2023 not 1973. The reality is, these were very successful in accomplishing their intent.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 02:34:07 PM »
And Malia Obama?
Maybe, though I admit I am completely ignorant WRT Malia's academics or ability to get into Harvard if she weren't the daughter of a former President.

I am quite positive OTOH that Jarod and Shrub would have had difficulty getting into Western Illinois without their connections.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 02:38:52 PM »
I can honestly say I never once thought that someone only got into the college they did because they were African American or a minority.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
I don't agree with the ruling but I don't think it will have that big of an impact. Schools will find other ways to get diverse student bodies, it just officially and explicitly can't be based on race.

You can use socio-economic status, family background, upbringing, etc.

A lot of room to get this type of information in certain essay questions without ever explicitly bringing up race.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 02:51:48 PM »
I can only hope that is true, Coleman.
These justices that decided this, and their cheerleaders, are living in a bubble of their own making.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2023, 03:08:44 PM »
I don't agree with the ruling but I don't think it will have that big of an impact. Schools will find other ways to get diverse student bodies, it just officially and explicitly can't be based on race.

A lot of room to get this type of information in certain essay questions without ever explicitly bringing up race.

Strongly disagree.  One political party is doing everything they can to destroy the American educational system.  They’ve spent decades attacking teachers and the educated people of this country. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2023, 03:22:03 PM »
AA really did a disservice to those admitted. For example, in my daughter's high school class was an African American student who matriculated to Harvard. He was arguably one of the brightest students I've run across... AP Scholar, National Merit Finalist. Unfortunately, he'll likely go through life with people saying he got in to Harvard based on AA. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He earned it.

Insecure racist White Man who cannot speak one language, jealously lashes out at Black Woman who speaks several languages.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2023, 03:36:18 PM »
If that's the biggest problem of AA, that is a successful program

This is 100% it for me right here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2023, 03:36:45 PM »

Yep. Many colleges and universities stopped explicitly using race a long time ago in anticipation of a ruling like this. IMO it will result in very little change to what many places are already doing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2023, 03:41:47 PM »
They ended legacy admissions?

GWB. Is smiling today. Mediocre, rich white kids have been sparred.