collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adios AA  (Read 14394 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Adios AA
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2023, 03:56:14 PM »
Strongly disagree.  One political party is doing everything they can to destroy the American educational system.  They’ve spent decades attacking teachers and the educated people of this country.

Yet immigrants of all nationalities, races and creeds are still knocking down the walls to enter and to educate their kids in the USA.  There is no other nation with such diversity. Is the country flawed in the pursuit of that equality? Of course but that pursuit is the crux of this country's success.

#landofthefree

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2023, 03:58:53 PM »
I am quite positive OTOH that Jarod and Shrub would have had difficulty getting into Western Illinois without their connections.

Devils advocate, Kushner was way over his head politically and looked like a clown from 2016 onward, but he went to a really good HS, graduated from Harvard with honors, and got a JD/MBA from NYU and was more than a little successful taking over after his dad went to jail.  No doubt his dad's fat check drove his admission into Harvard, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bumbling idiot. 

I had a friend in my Chicago days from a very wealthy family who got wait-listed at Georgtown.  He got in cause one of his father's connected friends who was an alumni wrote a letter and made a donation.  His "backups" that he already had gotten into were Vanderbilt and NYU, so its not like he was just a dumb lucky sperm club

I can honestly say I never once thought that someone only got into the college they did because they were African American or a minority.

I never "thought" but I knew based on fairly innocuous discussions in the dorms freshmen year about SAT scores and HS achievements.  But that being said, one of the girls in question (who would have never gotten in as a random non-minority from suburban Detroit) absolutely killed it, got into a good med school and is now a doctor.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2023, 04:08:31 PM »
Yet immigrants of all nationalities, races and creeds are still knocking down the walls to enter and to educate their kids in the USA.  There is no other nation with such diversity. Is the country flawed in the pursuit of that equality? Of course but that pursuit is the crux of this country's success.

#landofthefree

“There is no other nation with such diversity?” What? Not even close.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2023, 04:12:14 PM »
GWB. Is smiling today. Mediocre, rich white kids have been sparred.

That’s a bit much! Or did you mean “spared”?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2023, 04:14:56 PM »
Simple answer:

1) Set objective qualifications.
2) Take everyone who meets the qualifications by college and assign them a number.
3) Put every number is a drum.
4) Draw out 120% of the spaces in a class in a school.
5) Admit based on whose numbers were drawn first.

It's fair, objective and gives everyone an equal chance.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2023, 04:17:38 PM »
Time for Affirmative Action v2, aimed at the lower class. A lot of folks need a leg up in this country, regardless of the mistakes/misfortune of their parents.

It's not easy to meet standardized qualifications when you grew up food insecure, having to care for your siblings/relatives.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2023, 04:19:25 PM »

#landofthefree

We don’t want them and when they get here, we let them know in every way imaginable.  Well, at least one loud segment of America
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2023, 04:23:57 PM »
I never "thought" but I knew based on fairly innocuous discussions in the dorms freshmen year about SAT scores and HS achievements.  But that being said, one of the girls in question (who would have never gotten in as a random non-minority from suburban Detroit) absolutely killed it, got into a good med school and is now a doctor.

I've never understood the acceptance process for colleges.  My fiancé went to an Ivy League school but was declined by another very good school (and she wasn't a legacy admit at the Ivy League school).  A friend of mine went to the school that she was declined at and was declined at the Ivy League school she went to.

To me it's all over the board.  I remember people with incredible grades and solid test scores being waitlisted at Madison while other people who seemingly had worse grades and/or test scores got admitted right away.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »
“There is no other nation with such diversity?” What? Not even close.

Name them?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2023, 05:11:06 PM »
Simple answer:

2) Take everyone who meets the qualifications by college and assign them a number.

In this scenario, how is a kid from Englewood or Appalachia given an equal chance with one from Winnetka or Scarsdale?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2023, 05:18:01 PM »
I see the justices made an exception for the military academies. Minorities make good cannon fodder.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2023, 05:21:25 PM »
I see the justices made an exception for the military academies. Minorities make good cannon fodder.

https://youtu.be/AQnEBSwdAXw

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2023, 05:34:28 PM »
Fascists morons doing moronic fascist things.   

I anticipate this will have a similar effect on the electorate as the Roe overthrow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2023, 05:44:25 PM »
Time for Affirmative Action v2, aimed at the lower class. A lot of folks need a leg up in this country, regardless of the mistakes/misfortune of their parents.

It's not easy to meet standardized qualifications when you grew up food insecure, having to care for your siblings/relatives.

100%. I would have no problem if there was a sliding scale based on economics or schools attended. But why should Asians from the same prep school be discriminated vs white kids? And why should white kids under those same circumstances be discriminated against vs black kids?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
Fascists morons doing moronic fascist things.   

I anticipate this will have a similar effect on the electorate as the Roe overthrow.

https://www.theonion.com/i-decided-to-become-a-slave-so-one-day-my-descendants-c-1850592638

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2023, 05:51:08 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2023, 05:55:23 PM »
I would ask who bought off Alito and Thomas on this one, but they probably did this one for free.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2023, 06:01:23 PM »
So they are counting the 22 indigenous African tribes of Liberia as "diverse"?

Yeah, because they are diverse.
Ethnic and cultural diversity isn't something determined only by arbitrary political boundaries and skin color.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2023, 06:39:50 PM »
Yeah, because they are diverse.
Ethnic and cultural diversity isn't something determined only by arbitrary political boundaries and skin color.

The stat headline says “racial diversity” but then counts ethnic diversity.  A neighborhood of 100 families with 10 of each from Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, and 7 other Eastern European countries is ethnically diverse, but not racially diverse. 

Dr B’s original point was about diversity of race and nationality and religion.  I think that’s wholly different than a country with a bunch of ethnic groups that fall into the same category of the above.  It’s not some idea of American exceptionalism or denigration of Liberia or Nigeria or Iran, it’s just speaking factually.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2023, 07:07:50 PM »
...the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action have been white women. Women held only 35 percent of bachelor degrees before affirmative action policies were reintroduced; now, women’s enrollment in college outpaces men, and has for some time. Now, elite colleges and universities are giving men a boost in admissions considerations, because their grades and scores are not keeping pace with women’s.

Yet you’ll note that the Supreme Court did not ban gender consciousness in college admissions. Nor did it ban legacy consciousness, wealth consciousness, geographic consciousness, or athletic consciousness

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2023, 07:12:25 PM »
Or at the military academies.  A fascinating  distinction.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2023, 08:06:29 PM »
Simple answer:

Don’t quit your day job.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2023, 08:06:50 PM »
I can honestly say I never once thought that someone only got into the college they did because they were African American or a minority.
Because you are not consumed with grievance and resentment
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2023, 08:08:49 PM »
The stat headline says “racial diversity” but then counts ethnic diversity.  A neighborhood of 100 families with 10 of each from Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, and 7 other Eastern European countries is ethnically diverse, but not racially diverse. 

Dr B’s original point was about diversity of race and nationality and religion.  I think that’s wholly different than a country with a bunch of ethnic groups that fall into the same category of the above.  It’s not some idea of American exceptionalism or denigration of Liberia or Nigeria or Iran, it’s just speaking factually.

And it’s very simplistic. But sure. Let’s say “hey all those African tribes are basically the same” and see what they think.

But they all look alike right?

feedback