collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adios AA  (Read 15332 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Adios AA
« Reply #350 on: July 07, 2023, 06:08:33 AM »
Not to mention oil reserves that produce annual flows not far behind gulf nations not named Saudi, for that small population.  Everything about the Nordics is just a wildly apples to oranges comp for a population the size and diversity of the US.

What are the annual flows of the oil produced in the US?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2023, 06:33:19 AM »
Really? You want to compare a culture like the US to Norway? 98% white 83+% Norwegian Norway? 5.4 million people in the whole freakin’ country Norway? Sure.

Oh boy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #352 on: July 07, 2023, 06:36:05 AM »
Not to mention oil reserves that produce annual flows not far behind gulf nations not named Saudi, for that small population.  Everything about the Nordics is just a wildly apples to oranges comp for a population the size and diversity of the US.

We choose not to nationalize the oil industry in the US.   Instead we subsidize it, and it's profits to fill private coffers.

Which is more equitable?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #353 on: July 07, 2023, 06:59:11 AM »
Norway's domestic energy is almost all renewable.   Hydropower.    They export their oil.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #354 on: July 07, 2023, 07:23:52 AM »
Norway's domestic energy is almost all renewable.   Hydropower.    They export their oil.
If they were truly a green country, they would leave the oil in the ground. They are helping kill this planet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #355 on: July 07, 2023, 07:24:27 AM »
Bravo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #356 on: July 07, 2023, 01:02:41 PM »
washigton post poll shows more african americans strongly support scotus rulling than oppose
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #357 on: July 07, 2023, 01:11:45 PM »
washigton post poll shows more african americans strongly support scotus rulling than oppose

Irony is dead
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
What are the annual flows of the oil produced in the US?

We produce 7x as much as Norway…but are 65x as big population wise.

And I was speaking diversity not so much as “they’re all white” but just the vast regional, cultural, and geographic differences that lend to different mentalities.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #359 on: July 07, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »
Only like 20 who are misbehaving
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2023, 02:21:57 PM »

It actually was an Economist/You Gov poll that the Washington Post wrote about -- and you no doubt read about it in the article Fox News wrote about the Post writing about the poll.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-post-sounds-off-poll-showing-black-americans-support-scotus-affirmative-action-ruling

FWIW, the last paragraph of the Fox News article reads:

The Economist/YouGov poll cited by the Post does not meet Fox News' polling standards while the ABC/Ipsos poll referenced in the article does meet those standards.

The text of the ABC/Ipsos poll that meets Fox News' standards begins:

Washington, DC, July 2, 2023— In polling conducted June 30-July 1, 2023—just after the Supreme Court overturned affirmative action, struck down the Biden student loan forgiveness plan, and ruled in favor of a web designer seeking to deny services to a same-sex couple—a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds the American public is split on the decisions. Additionally, a majority of Americans (53%) say that they think Supreme Court justices rule mainly on the basis of their partisan political views, up 10 points from January of 2022.

Looking at each case, a bare majority of Americans (52%) approve of the decision to overturn affirmative action with a third (32%) disapproving. The majority includes majorities of both white (60%) and Asian (58%) Americans. Latino and Hispanic Americans are split on the ruling (40% approve vs. 40% disapprove), and the majority of Black Americans disapprove (52%).

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/americans-split-recent-supreme-court-decisions

I'll admit I'm surprised a majority of Black people in any poll approved of the ruling, but every poll isn't the same -- indeed, the ABC/Ipsos poll said a slight majority of Black people disapproved -- and there's a lot of nuance with this issue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #362 on: July 08, 2023, 05:52:42 AM »
I have never heard anyone defend Stalin or Mao.    Sadly, I have heard far too many people defend Hitler.     Maybe it is an age thing.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/who-was-chairman-mao-lionized-by-obamas-white-house

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #364 on: July 08, 2023, 07:01:55 AM »
https://canadafreepress.com/article/who-was-chairman-mao-lionized-by-obamas-white-house

I'll see your Mao and raise you seven Hitlers.

GOP lawmaker says homeless people should look to Hitler
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/04/14/hitler-homeless-tennessee-republican-niceley/

House GOP candidate called Hitler ‘the kind of leader we need’ in 2021 remarks
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-election/house-gop-candidate-called-hitler-kind-leader-need-2021-remarks-rcna32876

New Illinois congresswoman: ‘Hitler was right on one thing’
https://www.kktv.com/2021/01/07/new-illinois-congresswoman-hitler-was-right-on-one-thing/

Republican Pal Nick Fuentes SWOONS Over Hitler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI35UbH3XXc

Republican Politician Urges Americans to Revisit Hitler and Stalin at Moms for Liberty Event
https://www.advocate.com/politicians/moms-for-liberty-read-hitler

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1673048451662200832
"In case you think @Moms4Liberty quoted Hitler by mistake, here’s Ryan Helfenbein @ the Faith & Freedom Coalition Gala: “If you don't control education, you can’t control the future. Stalin knew that. Mao knew it. Hitler knew it. We have to get that back for conservative values.”

https://doggett.house.gov/media/in-the-news/new-york-times-whose-version-christian-nationalism-will-win-2024
"Last week the ReAwaken America Tour, a Christian nationalist roadshow co-founded by the former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn, rolled up to the Trump National Doral Miami resort. Two speakers who’d appeared at other stops on the tour, the online streamers Scott McKay and Charlie Ward, were jettisoned at the last moment because of bad publicity over their praise of Hitler. (“Hitler was actually fighting the same people that we’re trying to take down today,” said McKay, not inaccurately.) But as of this writing, the tour’s website still includes McKay and Ward, along with Eric Trump, as featured speakers at an upcoming extravaganza in Las Vegas.

ReAwaken America’s association with anti-Semites did not stop Donald Trump from calling into the rally to offer his support."

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #365 on: July 08, 2023, 07:08:59 AM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #366 on: July 08, 2023, 07:10:24 AM »
It actually was an Economist/You Gov poll that the Washington Post wrote about -- and you no doubt read about it in the article Fox News wrote about the Post writing about the poll.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-post-sounds-off-poll-showing-black-americans-support-scotus-affirmative-action-ruling

FWIW, the last paragraph of the Fox News article reads:

The Economist/YouGov poll cited by the Post does not meet Fox News' polling standards while the ABC/Ipsos poll referenced in the article does meet those standards.

The text of the ABC/Ipsos poll that meets Fox News' standards begins:

Washington, DC, July 2, 2023— In polling conducted June 30-July 1, 2023—just after the Supreme Court overturned affirmative action, struck down the Biden student loan forgiveness plan, and ruled in favor of a web designer seeking to deny services to a same-sex couple—a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds the American public is split on the decisions. Additionally, a majority of Americans (53%) say that they think Supreme Court justices rule mainly on the basis of their partisan political views, up 10 points from January of 2022.

Looking at each case, a bare majority of Americans (52%) approve of the decision to overturn affirmative action with a third (32%) disapproving. The majority includes majorities of both white (60%) and Asian (58%) Americans. Latino and Hispanic Americans are split on the ruling (40% approve vs. 40% disapprove), and the majority of Black Americans disapprove (52%).

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/americans-split-recent-supreme-court-decisions

I'll admit I'm surprised a majority of Black people in any poll approved of the ruling, but every poll isn't the same -- indeed, the ABC/Ipsos poll said a slight majority of Black people disapproved -- and there's a lot of nuance with this issue.

you will never get a poll showing the absolute accurate results unless you poll 100% of the people which we all know is not feasible.  the ways so many ways polls are worded, where and who they poll and then of course, the integrity of the pollster all go in to figuring the margins of error.  with all that said, who really knows, but it's the best barometer we have. 

with all of the polarization and media slants, power struggles, most people don't even know half of what's going on today.  so many have opinions without even understanding the ramifications except their own "knee jerk" thoughts. 

AA at it's core is not healthy.  we all want only the best of everything we do and participate in.  i know the examples can go on and on, but does anyone want the "c" candidate to fly them, to operate on them, to manage their finances and taxes, etc etc

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #367 on: July 08, 2023, 07:16:24 AM »
AA at it's core is not healthy.  we all want only the best of everything we do and participate in.  i know the examples can go on and on, but does anyone want the "c" candidate to fly them, to operate on them, to manage their finances and taxes, etc etc

Do you believe one's skill in flying an airplane or performing surgery is determined by high school GPA and SAT scores?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #368 on: July 08, 2023, 07:29:23 AM »
Do you believe one's skill in flying an airplane or performing surgery is determined by high school GPA and SAT scores?

i believe it is a means to measure whether or not that person has the capacity to move on to the next level with greater certainty of success at that point in time.  a person with a lower GPA and/or SAT scores could enroll in an alternative program to raise their core knowledge to say, the level closer to those with better scores. 

smart people have a talent just as athletic people have a talent.  not everyone is capable of jumping into the higher echelons of a skill ready to provide the best outcome.  some may take a little more preparation to achieve something they may want to do.  in the mean time, taking up space in elite positions within a school or program does not necessarily help and could actually hinder them and/or discourage them

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: July 08, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »

with all of the polarization and media slants, power struggles, most people don't even know half of what's going on today.  so many have opinions without even understanding the ramifications except their own "knee jerk" thoughts. 

I know ... it's like some poor saps mindlessly regurgitate what they hear on Newsmax and Fox News, or from their favorite politicians. There's even this one hopeless cultist on a basketball fan board who thinks that 1/6/21 was a casual tourist tour through the Capitol, with maybe 20 silly kids misbehaving a little!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #370 on: July 08, 2023, 08:11:54 AM »
i believe it is a means to measure whether or not that person has the capacity to move on to the next level with greater certainty of success at that point in time.  a person with a lower GPA and/or SAT scores could enroll in an alternative program to raise their core knowledge to say, the level closer to those with better scores. 

smart people have a talent just as athletic people have a talent.  not everyone is capable of jumping into the higher echelons of a skill ready to provide the best outcome.  some may take a little more preparation to achieve something they may want to do.  in the mean time, taking up space in elite positions within a school or program does not necessarily help and could actually hinder them and/or discourage them

So, none of this answers the question.
I'll try again. Is one's skill at flying an airplane or performing surgery dependent upon high school GPA or SAT score?
Before you answer, Google where Chuck Yaeger and John Glenn went to college.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #371 on: July 08, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »
I'll try again. Is one's skill at flying an airplane or performing surgery dependent upon high school GPA or SAT score?

Your question leads to an obvious answer: No. It's why universities - elite and otherwise - need to have latitude in selecting their students. Test scores and GPAs can only tell admissions officers so much.

Your "before you answer" line raises another good point: Where one goes to college probably is less important than it's often portrayed. That John Glenn could become so accomplished at so much despite going to Muskingum College, followed by a stint at the Civilian Pilot Training Program, could be an argument for "See, nobody really needs to go to an elite college anyway."

But everyone knows the advantages built into attending such schools. Perhaps even more than the academics, the connections one can make are huge. And the injustice of denying perfectly capable prospects just because of their life circumstances ... that's why affirmative action became a thing in the first place.

Fortunately, as others have stated, many (most?) top universities will find a way to work around SCOTUS' decision.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #372 on: July 08, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »

and i'll try this again as it seems i didn't give you the answer you wanted-

you asked me if i "believe" and my answer is above

i'm going to have to let you guys in on a dirty little secret-you guys don't have a monopoly on the answers to everything.  you may think you do and that's what's so weird. 

so you guys are even smarter than majority of scotus-congrats!  and that's why you are here posting on some b-ball message board

82-btw, the 1/6/21 incident has been blown WAY WAY out of proportion by you guys because you have the "media" whipping you into a froth.  take a pill, have a hot toddy and go check out what really happened.  there were probably a few hundred bad actors charged and rightly so.  the violence post george floyd and the anti police riots were much much worse, far more damage and lives lost

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #373 on: July 08, 2023, 04:30:33 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #374 on: July 08, 2023, 04:49:03 PM »
and i'll try this again as it seems i didn't give you the answer you wanted-

you asked me if i "believe" and my answer is above

i'm going to have to let you guys in on a dirty little secret-you guys don't have a monopoly on the answers to everything.  you may think you do and that's what's so weird. 

so you guys are even smarter than majority of scotus-congrats!  and that's why you are here posting on some b-ball message board

82-btw, the 1/6/21 incident has been blown WAY WAY out of proportion by you guys because you have the "media" whipping you into a froth.  take a pill, have a hot toddy and go check out what really happened.  there were probably a few hundred bad actors charged and rightly so.  the violence post george floyd and the anti police riots were much much worse, far more damage and lives lost

I’m really surprised that you would downplay the violent attempt to overthrow a legitimate election. 🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow