collapse

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023-24 NBA Thread  (Read 72234 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2023-24 NBA Thread
« Reply #475 on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:57 AM »
Who is a better GM?  Giannis or Rodgers?

Michael.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #476 on: September 28, 2023, 09:20:54 AM »
My guess is Boston, NY, and Philly will do everything they can to get Jrue. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2023, 09:27:03 AM »
Not a fan of the tail waggin' da dog. But, then again, privileged athletes, run the professional sports industry.
Jury is still out on #34 pending whether his pick of coach is a bust. As for #12, all he could do as a GM is whine. Probably got McCarthy fired though, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #478 on: September 28, 2023, 09:28:11 AM »

I think Miami is in that group too.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #479 on: September 28, 2023, 09:29:17 AM »
What else would #34 want from ownership? Maybe jettison his brother to add a contributing player to the roster, hey?

The back of an NBA bench is filled with replacement level junk. If it keeps him happy, might as well be his brother.

Cam Payne would not be a bad option because there is a roster spot open.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #480 on: September 28, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
Not a fan of the tail waggin' da dog. But, then again, privileged athletes, run the professional sports industry.
Jury is still out on #34 pending whether his pick of coach is a bust. As for #12, all he could do as a GM is whine. Probably got McCarthy fired though, hey?

If I read between the lines, I’d say you think players should listen to ownership and coaches and just play the game.  Interesting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #481 on: September 28, 2023, 09:34:53 AM »
That's what they are getting paid to do, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #482 on: September 28, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »
I think Miami is in that group too.

I'm sure they will too but if Portland didn't want Herro before why would they want him now?  I think the Knicks have a ton of draft picks.  Does Phoenix have anything to offer?    I think Miami is in trouble.  They caught some lightning in a bottle but I think it's basically over for them.  Holiday on Boston is scary on paper. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #483 on: September 28, 2023, 09:37:35 AM »

The back of an NBA bench is filled with replacement level junk. If it keeps him happy, might as well be his brother.

Cam Payne would not be a bad option because there is a roster spot open.

I would get Payne.  They need a back-op PG or a combo G. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #484 on: September 28, 2023, 09:39:24 AM »
That's what they are getting paid to do, aina?

So just the professional athlete has that responsibility?  A college athlete wouldn’t because before now, they weren’t getting paid?  That’s fascinating. 

• All American
« Reply #485 on: September 28, 2023, 09:41:05 AM »

High paid athletes have been running professional sports for a long time. And since they are the most important part of professional sports, considering how much they are paid, that is absolute fine and to be expected.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #486 on: September 28, 2023, 09:44:38 AM »
I'm sure they will too but if Portland didn't want Herro before why would they want him now?  I think the Knicks have a ton of draft picks.  Does Phoenix have anything to offer?    I think Miami is in trouble.  They caught some lightning in a bottle but I think it's basically over for them. Holiday on Boston is scary on paper.

Agree with the bold - Miami was never really out of trouble.  They were 25th in ORtg last year, and 21st in NetRtg.  They made it to the finals because JFB went supernova and Spo outcoached Bud, Thibs, and Mazzulla.

Also agree with Holiday in Boston - he would completely cover for the Smart trade.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #487 on: September 28, 2023, 09:51:13 AM »
Can you walk into your bosses office and demand personnel and procedural changes? Of course not, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #488 on: September 28, 2023, 09:53:06 AM »
Can you walk into your bosses office and demand personnel and procedural changes? Of course not, hey?

So, can college athletes do it?  What is your stance on them if they say, write a letter demanding change from the coach?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #489 on: September 28, 2023, 09:55:13 AM »

If I’m the star engineer that is responsible for a ton of success of the company and is the face of the brand, I’m guessing I’d have some pull if I had a competing job offer.

• All American
« Reply #490 on: September 28, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »

Right. Because my boss is more important to the organization than I am.

BTW, you really think the athletic side of a professional sports team is anything like a normal employer? That they have org charts and everything?  Because that's just silly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #491 on: September 28, 2023, 09:56:26 AM »
Payne or Nunn in Milwaukee would be nice with the last roster spot.

Hoping Jrue ends up in Toronto or NY.  Don't want to see him on the Heat, Sixers, or C's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #492 on: September 28, 2023, 09:57:52 AM »

Add Miami and the Clippers.

Also, I don't think it would happen, but I wouldn't rule out the Warriors. They'd have to send Paul, and something else. Not sure they'd be willing to do that switch, and not sure what else they have to send though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #493 on: September 28, 2023, 10:01:17 AM »
The coach lost his team long before that incident.
To answer your question directly, I'd help them pack their bags and drive to the airport. But, this is an apple to oranges comparison, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #494 on: September 28, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »
The coach lost his team long before that incident.
To answer your question directly, I'd help them pack their bags and drive to the airport.

And lose a lot of games in the process.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #495 on: September 28, 2023, 10:45:38 AM »
If I’m the star engineer that is responsible for a ton of success of the company and is the face of the brand, I’m guessing I’d have some pull if I had a competing job offer.

While comparing professional sports to normal business is silly, even for Scoop standards, but even closer comparison is advertising/marketing agencies.

I worked for an ad agency that had a major Midwestern CPG company, household name, in its portfolio and had been the agency of record for nearly 70 years.  A senior director was the lead account man on the company’s account. The director has some conflict with upper management and was ready to leave.  The CPG made it known they would leave too.  The agency still played hard ball and the director left to start his own agency.  And the CPG left the agency of 70 years to follow him.

Similarly, my friend’s agency had a senior creative that got their agency to move heavy and earth lest they leave and potentially lose a few major clients that loved that creative’s work.  Senior management was completely beholden to good creatives.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #496 on: September 28, 2023, 10:59:39 AM »

That depends on your value, aina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #497 on: September 28, 2023, 11:36:17 AM »

Talented money-makers in numerous professions have the leverage to “strongly suggest” things to management.

Hey.

This has been going on for decades. Magic, Gretzky and Wade, among others, were pretty good at being part-time “GMs” during their careers.

Smart businesspeople - and businesspeople is what superstar athletes are - use their leverage whenever they can.

If Giannis had a lot to do with bringing Lillard to Milwaukee, then it’s a good thing management listened to him.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:38:56 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #498 on: September 28, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
One other point about Lillard and the Bucks, while it’s true it was out of nowhere for this news/trade cycle, anyone who pays attention to NBA rumors knows the Giannis/Lillard love affair runs back years.  If Giannis left MKE before his huge deal, Portland was a very real possibility because of Lillard.  Giannis chose Lillard as his first pick in the ASG draft in an eyebrow raise/“tap the side of your nose” sort of reaction to NBA media people. The desire to play with/admiration is well known. 

Also, from a marketing perspective, I can’t think of a more fun personality/persona/player type to add play Robin to Giannis’ Batman.  If Dame gets the Greek Freak on one of his hip hop tracks, the internet might explode

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #499 on: September 28, 2023, 12:04:22 PM »
One other point about Lillard and the Bucks, while it’s true it was out of nowhere for this news/trade cycle, anyone who pays attention to NBA rumors knows the Giannis/Lillard love affair runs back years.  If Giannis left MKE before his huge deal, Portland was a very real possibility because of Lillard.  Giannis chose Lillard as his first pick in the ASG draft in an eyebrow raise/“tap the side of your nose” sort of reaction to NBA media people. The desire to play with/admiration is well known. 

Also, from a marketing perspective, I can’t think of a more fun personality/persona/player type to add play Robin to Giannis’ Batman.  If Dame gets the Greek Freak on one of his hip hop tracks, the internet might explode

The deal makes even more sense for the Bucks because Holiday would have either re-signed or not with them after this year.  Lillard is locked up for 3 years.  If Middleton is anywhere near his form from two years ago, as a #3, look out.  He will have so much freedom in this offense as will Lopez.  Lillard also alleviates a lot of pressure on Giannis to score from the perimeter and initiate the offense.  This should mean fewer turns and more room to operate inside.  Lillard isn't Steph Curry but the man has shown be a bucket machine JWags.  When you have 35 foot range, the ability to stop and pop, and blow by your defenders, it doesn't suck.  Especially if you're playing with Giannis.