* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[May 18, 2024, 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 24510 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #625 on: May 18, 2024, 08:17:03 AM »
I continue to be surprised by the general thoughts on perceived ev issues. It is a valued learning experience coming here for me. I’m not on any other social media so it’s good to get others views, accurate or not. EV’s are not really a topic of discussion in my life except for here. I work 6 or 7 days a week and have a family life, so little off the cuff interaction with others that is not work related.

I never think about ev range or how many miles of range I have on my ev, unless it is one of the 6 to 10 times a year I’m taking a long trip. Or, when I’ll be on a medium sized trip and it is really cold all day - very cold weather is still a place for battery improvement.  Early on with an ev I would check range constantly. But, one adapts and I don’t even pay attention on daily use - 350 days out of the year I have no clue what the range is, not an issue.

On trips, the car tells me when and where to stop to charge (and sometimes I modify my charge stop to a different location depending on lunch or bathroom breaks).
When I drive my wife’s hybrid I have to remind myself to check  the gas level. I’m so used to just driving an ev not paying attention to charge level.

Plus, with an ev you literally have no expenses that you’d have with an engine. None. No belt changes, oil, failed engine parts, radiators, the list goes on etc etc., ev’s have such a lower cost of ownership. At least with a Tesla it’s just a new cabin filter every two years, add window washer fluid, tires. Brake pads and breaks rarely get used, so replacement of pads will likely be because of age after 10 years or well over 150k. Similar to good hybrids but even less brake usage and the regen is more powerful. I never had to replace break pads on hybrid Toyotas under 125k miles.

I’m also surprised by the fear of hybrid battery failure. Again this tech has come a long way and for Toyota at least a non issue.

The thought of an ev (at least Tesla) battery failure short of 250k miles is not a concern at all. Not with 3 or Y teslas. 2013 or so model S had some issues with high mileage but those were fixed long ago.  For me should be well over 300k+ long after the car has little value. Yes, something can go wrong but no different than a  gas guzzler I had that needed a new engine tear down a rebuild at under 100k. At least the ev has a battery engine warranty of, I think 8 years 120k.  I’d think this is also true for Hyundai and Kia. I’d be afraid of other manufacturers at this point. Nissan had bad battery tech and software in the past for a company in the game so long. I suspect they have improved both, but I haven’t researched it.

Three, I’m surprised by the gas crowd who are anti ev. One would logically think they’d like other people driving non-gas cars to keep gas prices down. More hybrids and ev’s on the road have to help keep pressure off gas prices and help prevent opec from deciding to drive up prices for oil as it would convert more drivers to ev’s and hybrids. And once you go ev, I doubt many go back. I know I won’t. Maybe I’m an outlier but the driving experience is so much better.

Finallly, and I’ve never thought this before, Tesla is close on full self drive. The new AI trained software is actually amazing. A high jump from even 6 months ago. I actually can see them pulling this off within the next 2 years, unless they have peaked and the final 10% is too hard to close on. I’ve always thought it is way, way off. No longer.  It appears to me it is going to be here soon.  Faster than I expected by many years; a decade plus. I thought chip tech on board cars was way off and cloud tech chips would have to be in the car.  Apparently that’s not the case. People just can’t freak out nationally and globally when there are self drive accidents, logic and safety should logically be the guide comparing it versus human driver error and accidents. Logic should rule the mind, but… we know it will get challenged and one computer driving car death probably will get more attention than 10,000 plus humans killing others. Can people be logical?  I think so, but maybe knowing people are not logical beings, I hope to much.  I’ll be looking at accident rates and serious accident rates and deaths per million miles driven by computers versus humans. It will data driven not emotional.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #626 on: May 18, 2024, 08:26:32 AM »
I continue to be surprised by the general thoughts on perceived ev issues. It is a valued learning experience coming here for me. I’m not on any other social media so it’s good to get others views, accurate or not. EV’s are not really a topic of discussion in my life except for here. I work 6 or 7 days a week and have a family life, so little off the cuff interaction with others that is not work related.

I never think about ev range or how many miles of range I have on my ev, unless it is one of the 6 to 10 times a year I’m taking a long trip. Or, when I’ll be on a medium sized trip and it is really cold all day - very cold weather is still a place for battery improvement.  Early on with an ev I would check range constantly. But, one adapts and I don’t even pay attention on daily use - 350 days out of the year I have no clue what the range is, not an issue.

On trips, the car tells me when and where to stop to charge (and sometimes I modify my charge stop to a different location depending on lunch or bathroom breaks).
When I drive my wife’s hybrid I have to remind myself to check  the gas level. I’m so used to just driving an ev not paying attention to charge level.

Plus, with an ev you literally have no expenses that you’d have with an engine. None. No belt changes, oil, failed engine parts, radiators, the list goes on etc etc., ev’s have such a lower cost of ownership. At least with a Tesla it’s just a new cabin filter every two years, add window washer fluid, tires. Brake pads and breaks rarely get used, so replacement of pads will likely be because of age after 10 years or well over 150k. Similar to good hybrids but even less brake usage and the regen is more powerful. I never had to replace break pads on hybrid Toyotas under 125k miles.

I’m also surprised by the fear of hybrid battery failure. Again this tech has come a long way and for Toyota at least a non issue.

The thought of an ev (at least Tesla) battery failure short of 250k miles is not a concern at all. Not with 3 or Y teslas. 2013 or so model S had some issues with high mileage but those were fixed long ago.  For me should be well over 300k+ long after the car has little value. Yes, something can go wrong but no different than a  gas guzzler I had that needed a new engine tear down a rebuild at under 100k. At least the ev has a battery engine warranty of, I think 8 years 120k.  I’d think this is also true for Hyundai and Kia. I’d be afraid of other manufacturers at this point. Nissan had bad battery tech and software in the past for a company in the game so long. I suspect they have improved both, but I haven’t researched it.

Three, I’m surprised by the gas crowd who are anti ev. One would logically think they’d like other people driving non-gas cars to keep gas prices down. More hybrids and ev’s on the road have to help keep pressure off gas prices and help prevent opec from deciding to drive up prices for oil as it would convert more drivers to ev’s and hybrids. And once you go ev, I doubt many go back. I know I won’t. Maybe I’m an outlier but the driving experience is so much better.

Finallly, and I’ve never thought this before, Tesla is close on full self drive. The new AI trained software is actually amazing. A high jump from even 6 months ago. I actually can see them pulling this off within the next 2 years, unless they have peaked and the final 10% is too hard to close on. I’ve always thought it is way, way off. No longer.  It appears to me it is going to be here soon.  Faster than I expected by many years; a decade plus. I thought chip tech on board cars was way off and cloud tech chips would have to be in the car.  Apparently that’s not the case. People just can’t freak out nationally and globally when there are self drive accidents, logic and safety should logically be the guide comparing it versus human driver error and accidents. Logic should rule the mind, but… we know it will get challenged and one computer driving car death probably will get more attention than 10,000 plus humans killing others. Can people be logical?  I think so, but maybe knowing people are not logical beings, I hope to much.  I’ll be looking at accident rates and serious accident rates and deaths per million miles driven by computers versus humans. It will data driven not emotional.

Goo-

It’s become a political issue.  Your points are smart, simple and logical.  I’ve been following the technology closely for a long time for investment purposes.  It boggles the mind we still have some who will be a slave to ICE for simply political reasons.

The self-drive vehicles are much closer than we think.  We’ve been trending this way for close to a decade.  It’ll be a political fight as well. 

Automakers are well-aware of the future as well.  Future generations will be driving EV’s or being driven by EV’s.  The road to progress is often blocked by special interests and politics but on this, automakers and smart people know the future and it isn’t ICE
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #627 on: May 18, 2024, 09:55:19 AM »
Goo-

It’s become a political issue.  Your points are smart, simple and logical.  I’ve been following the technology closely for a long time for investment purposes.  It boggles the mind we still have some who will be a slave to ICE for simply political reasons.

The self-drive vehicles are much closer than we think.  We’ve been trending this way for close to a decade.  It’ll be a political fight as well. 

Automakers are well-aware of the future as well.  Future generations will be driving EV’s or being driven by EV’s.  The road to progress is often blocked by special interests and politics but on this, automakers and smart people know the future and it isn’t ICE
I’m with you on EV and while I don’t have one, I’ll strongly consider the next time I’m in-market, probably next year. 

Honestly, I’m not there yet (and may never be) on self-driving.  I don’t think I could relax enough to let the car do its thing and get the benefit of the tech, but realize that may be my own hang up. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2024, 11:06:33 AM »
I guess I know it is political. I just don’t understand why, I guess. But it is funny how the most unabashed conservative I know has two Teslas and a brand new hybrid supercar (I’m embarrassed to say the name, crazy expensive). But he is also a tech evangelist and seems un-influenced by others.

And I ddidn’t know the recent advances in self drive. Really something.

But, oh, I’m not fully there yet either. My car is now driving me to work and home without intervention, roundabouts and highway mostly, some neighborhood.  But I still have two hands on the wheel at roundabouts and ready to brake just in case. It will be an adjustment to be comfortable. And I am a slower driver and it accelerates to fast for my preference. I know it might be able to be adjusted or it is driving like a typical driver. But as my son says if all cars were running this software it would be safe because they won’t hit each other. It’s the interacting with the human drivers that makes it scary.

But I trust it more than plenty of cabs I’ve been in, so that might be the comparison.  I don’t have to tell it to get off the phone or stop showing me pictures while looking back in traffic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 01:07:30 PM by GOO »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2024, 11:19:22 AM »
I guess I know it is political. I just don’t understand why, I guess.

To stir up rage. This is the same crowd that made Mr. Potato Head a political issue.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #630 on: May 18, 2024, 08:39:11 PM »
To stir up rage. This is the same crowd that made Mr. Potato Head a political issue.

The same crowd that got mad when a piece of candy stopped wearing high heels.

feedback