Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where does OMax get picked in the NBA draft?

Lottery (1-14)
4 (1.9%)
15-20
15 (7.2%)
20-25
60 (28.7%)
1st round, but after 25
80 (38.3%)
Second round (low blk%)
43 (20.6%)
Undrafted
7 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: June 22, 2023, 04:47:36 PM

Author Topic: Where will OMax be selected?  (Read 13900 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Where will OMax be selected?
« on: June 19, 2023, 04:47:36 PM »
When does an organization draft this Warrior?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Where will OMax be selected?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 05:35:46 PM »
The good news is Omax is out of the dreaded end of second round prediction and now into end of first round prediction. Worked out for 16 teams. So seems like he is likely to be drafted.

Hopefully he can go to a winning organization .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:41:40 AM »
Petrocelli, watt spot did Omax tink heed goe at wen ewe worked 'im out, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:53:33 AM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:56:15 AM »
From Hollinger at The Athletic:

“However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons. The same goes for his rebounding, which is very average for a guy with elite physical tools.“

#LowBlk%

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 09:10:59 AM »
From Hollinger at The Athletic:

“However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons. The same goes for his rebounding, which is very average for a guy with elite physical tools.“

#LowBlk%

Maybe the Blk% and Reb% were a function of our system and O-Max's role within our system?  O-Max was frequently chasing guards around ball screens and defending the other team's best player.  I suspect the rebounding % numbers for defenders quarding the opposition's best player/highest shots percentage player is actually low.

That aside, I suspect NBA scouts/teams won't care about this and O-Max greatly exceeds the early expectations of him as a fringe late 2nd round draft choice.  Seems most now think he will be a late first-rounder despite the low Blk% number.  Amazing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 09:18:13 AM »
The blk% is so low that it’s bizarre

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 09:21:29 AM »
Seems to be greatly impacting his draft status. He’d be #1 overall with a higher block %.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 09:33:33 AM »
Hearing he might be making a late run to overtake Wembanyama, even with the block percentage.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 10:14:47 AM »
Seems to be greatly impacting his draft status. He’d be #1 overall with a higher block %.

"4th best player" on MU would be a lottery pick except for his Blk%. Sad.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 10:24:55 AM »
Seems like the guys projected lower 1st round get pushed to the 2nd due to unexpected international draft picks sneaking in. I don't know if that's changed over the years, though.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 10:32:57 AM »
"4th best player" on MU would be a lottery pick except for his Blk%. Sad.

Im pretty sure i heard "sixth best" at one point.. and that one broke my brain

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 10:42:04 AM »
Hollinger had Justin pegged (pawz) at #27 last year. Kiss of death for OMax at #30?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 11:43:57 AM »
Hollinger had Justin pegged (pawz) at #27 last year. Kiss of death for OMax at #30?

So where you at JB? You seem to down in OMax based on his really low block numbers…..are you in the undrafted camp?

Any single mock draft or rating can certainly be wrong……but it would seem unusual for everyone to mock him in the mid first to early 2nd round and fir him to go undrafted.

For those in the poll who have him in the lottery or undrafted you seem overly optimistic or pessimistic to me.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 12:26:27 PM »
So where you at JB? You seem to down in OMax based on his really low block numbers…..are you in the undrafted camp?

Any single mock draft or rating can certainly be wrong……but it would seem unusual for everyone to mock him in the mid first to early 2nd round and fir him to go undrafted.

For those in the poll who have him in the lottery or undrafted you seem overly optimistic or pessimistic to me.

It just feels a little risky to me, and I want the best for prOMax.

I do think the reb%’s are weak, the blk% is just crazy.. like a big time statistical outlier.. it’s strange.. and his usage is low for an NBA first round wing. So him going in the second round would not surprise me. But, it only takes one team.

I actually have him in the 20-25 category.

I just struggle to explain his incredibly low blk% and wouldn’t be surprised to see some teams have a question mark there as well. If I’m in a front office, I think I LOVE him as a second round pick

If his mindset is “I’m ready to go pro.. first, second, whatever, I’m ready” then great. If his mindset is “I stayed in this draft bc I’m going first round”, then I’m a bit nervous

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 12:34:34 PM »
I do think the reb%’s are weak, the blk% is just crazy.. like a big time statistical outlier.. it’s strange.. and his usage is low for an NBA first round wing. So him going in the second round would not surprise me. But, it only takes one team.
nervous

The lower usage would be the bigger question mark for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but it didn't seem like he was a help defender at the rim very often. A lot of the time he was away from the hoop bringing a double team as a help defender.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
It just feels a little risky to me, and I want the best for prOMax.

I actually have him in the 20-25 category.

I just struggle to explain his incredibly low blk% and wouldn’t be surprised to see some teams have a question mark there as well. If I’m in a front office, I think I LOVE him as a second round pick

If his mindset is “I’m ready to go pro.. first, second, whatever, I’m ready” then great. If his mindset is “I stayed in this draft bc I’m going first round”, then I’m a bit nervous

Low block % probably isn't that tough to explain.  He was often out guarding the perimeter against jumpshooters. You don't block a lot of jump shots and Marquette never needed him to.

Weird stat to nitpick.
VIOLENCE!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 02:46:13 PM »
Low block % probably isn't that tough to explain.  He was often out guarding the perimeter against jumpshooters. You don't block a lot of jump shots and Marquette never needed him to.

Weird stat to nitpick.

Not at all. This isn’t a nitpick. It’s a crazy stat.

The only player on the team with a lower blk% was Sean Jones. C’mon now. With that vert, that energy; it’s noteworthy.

MuMark

• All American

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2023, 02:51:36 PM »
Not at all. This isn’t a nitpick. It’s a crazy stat.

The only player on the team with a lower blk% was Sean Jones. C’mon now. With that vert, that energy; it’s noteworthy.

He had the same block % as 3 of the other 4 starters. No coincidence that the 4 switchables on the perimeter don't block shots. Not that he's not capable, but that he doesn't get opportunities on the perimeter. I distinctly remember Bryce Hopkins trying to take him off the dribble from the perimeter to the basket and getting swatted away by OMax. Not many tried or were able to get to the basket from the perimeter.
VIOLENCE!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2023, 02:59:06 PM »
He had the same block % as 3 of the other 4 starters. No coincidence that the 4 switchables on the perimeter don't block shots. Not that he's not capable, but that he doesn't get opportunities on the perimeter. I distinctly remember Bryce Hopkins trying to take him off the dribble from the perimeter to the basket and getting swatted away by OMax. Not many tried or were able to get to the basket from the perimeter.

Bruh, he’s 6’8”, athletic and has a 7’1” wingspan. Racked up 5 blocks all year. Crazy

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2023, 03:12:20 PM »
Petrocelli, watt spot did Omax tink heed goe at wen ewe worked 'im out, hey?

I talked directly to numerous NBA front office people and these are the exact quotes I got:

“Not on our board.  Low block % indicates he’s lazy”

“Saw them in ‘22.  Bad body language”

“After how Butler choked in the finals and Hauser was unplayable in the playoffs, Marquette affiliated guys are off our board”

“Survived living in Milwaukee without being shot or robbed.  Either he’s one of them or extremely lucky.  Character concerns abound”

“The other shoe will drop”

“Leaders write letters.  No indication he’s ever wrote a letter to a coach.  Very concerning”

“We read scoop.  You guys are idiots”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2023, 03:15:47 PM »
Incredible for O-Max to get a green room invite. What a meteoric rise these past few months. Can’t wait to watch on Thursday.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2023, 03:28:40 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback