[June 10, 2024, 07:34:38 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where does OMax get picked in the NBA draft?

Lottery (1-14)
4 (1.9%)
15-20
15 (7.2%)
20-25
60 (28.7%)
1st round, but after 25
80 (38.3%)
Second round (low blk%)
43 (20.6%)
Undrafted
7 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: June 22, 2023, 04:47:36 PM

Author Topic: Where will OMax be selected?  (Read 14555 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Where will OMax be selected?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2023, 05:56:47 PM »
I guess I just don't think it is that weird.

He's a perimeter defender and that is where Marquette utilized him.  Guys really had a difficult time driving on him to the basket and with Marquette switching often he was typically out on the perimeter and didn't get traditional shot blocking opportunities.

I think it is likely that you see his defensive game expand in the NBA to more than just a perimeter defender.  He had 1 block in 22 minutes at the NBA combine too.

Let’s remember that’s what it was. 22 minutes against second rounders and undrafted players.

I believe teams will like him bc of the motor and physical tools. He played HS ballin multiple countries. He’s been working and will continue to.

This notion that the main reason he had the same number of blocks as both Kam and Tyler was due to him not having chances is out there.

It’s a noteworthy stat. Big time outlier.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2023, 06:11:05 PM »
I don’t know if the lack of blocks is meaningful, but even JB is right once in a while. It is really wired. Even playing and switching on the perimeter.

Ballers LOVE to block shots. If I blocked 3 shots in a game, it was all I wanted to talk about - to the guys I blocked and after the game. Even if I was the leading scorer.

It’s just a weird stat.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2023, 06:14:50 PM »
I don’t know if the lack of blocks is meaningful, but even JB is right once in a while. It is really wired. Even playing and switching on the perimeter.

Ballers LOVE to block shots. If I blocked 3 shots in a game, it was all I wanted to talk about - to the guys I blocked and after the game. Even if I was the leading scorer.

It’s just a weird stat.

Especially with his wingspan and leaping ability. Like you, I love blocking shots … but more so bc my vert is about 2 inches (my VERT). If I could leap out of the building and had a crazy large wingspan, I’d be salivating looking to swat

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2023, 06:50:53 PM »
Especially with his wingspan and leaping ability. Like you, I love blocking shots … but more so bc my vert is about 2 inches (my VERT). If I could leap out of the building and had a crazy large wingspan, I’d be salivating looking to swat

Could that have been a strategic coaching point to keep him out of foul trouble? Challenge the shot with length and verticality, but don’t swat.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2023, 06:51:27 PM »
I took a quick look at the 2022 draft……..

It looks like only 1 green room.invite was not drafted in the first round…….Jaden Hardy…..he went 37th.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2023, 06:53:57 PM »
I took a quick look at the 2022 draft……..

It looks like only 1 green room.invite was not drafted in the first round…….Jaden Hardy…..he went 37th.

It’s happened other times as well, but not often.  Hopefully, OMax isn’t left in there to round two
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2023, 07:00:22 PM »
Could that have been a strategic coaching point to keep him out of foul trouble? Challenge the shot with length and verticality, but don’t swat.

If his FC/40 was amazing I might think otherwise, and that still might be a factor, but it wasn’t. I feel like some blocks fall to you out of dumb luck when your physical attributes are what OMax’s are.

The block% is just SO low

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2023, 07:15:22 PM »
#5 was a green room invitee. Slid to the last pick in da 1st rd. for a team who hadn't even worked him out. Now rocks 2 Association rings and $45 mil. later, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2023, 07:18:01 PM »
#5 was a green room invitee. Slid to the last pick in da 1st rd. for a team who hadn't even worked him out. Now rocks 2 Association rings and $45 mil. later, hey?

Wow … James Monroe sure did great for himself!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2023, 07:22:45 PM »
Not sure what “meteric” is, but what had improved is where dorkbaits who project the draft have put him. Same dorks such as the one who had Justin in the first round, and the consensus was mid-2nd.

I’m just pointing out a reason there is risk. The usage, the rebounding, the minuscule blk%.. all risks. That said, I’m sure there are believers in his work ethic and athletic talents and size. That’s why, as I said, I have him in by 25. But, I acknowledge there’s risk.
So if he gets drafted 20-25 you will admit that his low block % had NO negative effect on his draft status.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2023, 07:25:17 PM »

Giannis and Jokic weren’t even in the green room and are the best players in the NBA, aina?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2023, 07:43:03 PM »
Everything relates back to Kevon Looney.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2023, 07:43:28 PM »
So if he gets drafted 20-25 you will admit that his low block % had NO negative effect on his draft status.

No

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2023, 07:44:11 PM »
Muggs had 39 blocks in the NBA.  :)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2023, 08:18:54 AM »
From Hollinger at The Athletic:

“However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons. The same goes for his rebounding, which is very average for a guy with elite physical tools.“

#LowBlk%

Hard to do either while laying on the court?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
Hollinger's latest look in The Athletic features a huge photo of O-Max at the beginning and lists O-Max as the 30th-ranked prospect:

The big winner from the combine, Prosper measures 6-7 in socks with a 7-1 wingspan and uncorked a 35-inch no-step vertical. That alone might get somebody into the first round, but he also scored 21 points in 22 minutes in the one scrimmage he played.

The idea of a big wing defender with some offensive juice in the O.G. Anunoby mold is extremely tempting, and that’s Prosper’s upside story. A non-shooter his first two years at Marquette, he shot a quasi-respectable 33.9 percent on 3s this past season and made 73.5 percent from the line.

More notably, he shot 58.9 percent on 2s in Big East play; with his size and leaping, he can finish around the basket and/or draw fouls. That makes up for his extremely limited feel in other respects, with a meager 1.5 assists per 100 possessions in conference games — of the collegians on my board here, only Seth Lundy was worse, and that includes the centers.

On tape, Prosper is a big defender with good, active feet, and his ability to check smaller players should help keep him on an NBA floor while he works out the offense. I’m not sure I’d call him a lockdown defender, but he’s good. However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons. The same goes for his rebounding, which is very average for a guy with elite physical tools.

Relative to the players above him in this tier, Prosper is the closest to on-court viability but also the oldest. I like him enough to keep him in the late-first/early-second-round tier; there’s definite 3-and-D upside. I’m also a little worried everyone got too far out over their skis based on one combine game and lost sight of the full body of work.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2023, 08:42:36 AM »
A non-shooter his first two years at Marquette

Hmmm.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2023, 09:30:58 AM »
Hollinger's latest look in The Athletic features a huge photo of O-Max at the beginning and lists O-Max as the 30th-ranked prospect:

The big winner from the combine, Prosper measures 6-7 in socks with a 7-1 wingspan and uncorked a 35-inch no-step vertical. That alone might get somebody into the first round, but he also scored 21 points in 22 minutes in the one scrimmage he played.

The idea of a big wing defender with some offensive juice in the O.G. Anunoby mold is extremely tempting, and that’s Prosper’s upside story. A non-shooter his first two years at Marquette, he shot a quasi-respectable 33.9 percent on 3s this past season and made 73.5 percent from the line.

More notably, he shot 58.9 percent on 2s in Big East play; with his size and leaping, he can finish around the basket and/or draw fouls. That makes up for his extremely limited feel in other respects, with a meager 1.5 assists per 100 possessions in conference games — of the collegians on my board here, only Seth Lundy was worse, and that includes the centers.

On tape, Prosper is a big defender with good, active feet, and his ability to check smaller players should help keep him on an NBA floor while he works out the offense. I’m not sure I’d call him a lockdown defender, but he’s good. However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons. The same goes for his rebounding, which is very average for a guy with elite physical tools.

Relative to the players above him in this tier, Prosper is the closest to on-court viability but also the oldest. I like him enough to keep him in the late-first/early-second-round tier; there’s definite 3-and-D upside. I’m also a little worried everyone got too far out over their skis based on one combine game and lost sight of the full body of work.

All fair criticisms of OMax

As always, best to remember the NBA draft is almost always based on potential outside the top of the draft

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2023, 09:40:23 AM »
All fair criticisms of OMax

As always, best to remember the NBA draft is almost always based on potential outside the top of the draft

Seems strange that his falling-down rate isn't mentioned by these so-called experts. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
“However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons.”

Uh oh. Looks like others might notice

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2023, 10:18:10 AM »
“However, his leaping ability is weirdly invisible on that end, with just nine blocked shots in two seasons.”

Uh oh. Looks like others might notice

Proof that The Athletic reads Scoop

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2023, 10:50:24 AM »
Proof that The Athletic reads Scoop

It’s why I voted undrafted

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2023, 11:38:12 AM »
It’s why I voted undrafted

Totally O-Max's fault for not choosing a dentist with a track record of sending patients to the NBA.