Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where does OMax get picked in the NBA draft?

Lottery (1-14)
4 (1.9%)
15-20
15 (7.2%)
20-25
60 (28.7%)
1st round, but after 25
80 (38.3%)
Second round (low blk%)
43 (20.6%)
Undrafted
7 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: June 22, 2023, 04:47:36 PM

Author Topic: Where will OMax be selected?  (Read 13907 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Where will OMax be selected?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2023, 03:44:10 PM »
Does anyone know how they dole those out? My son told me on Sunday that he'd read something saying O-Max was not getting the invite. This would suggest either he was wrong (a distinct possibility) or that something has changed. Do teams contact NBA and make suggestions about who should be invited? Could someone have contacted the NBA since the weekend and told them to make sure O-Max is there?

On another note, I really, really feel badly for guys who are dropping in the draft and are sitting in the green room waiting to get called. All recent indications are that O-Max is in exactly the opposite situation -- rising in the draft. So hopefully he'll actually attend the draft and get called earlier than anyone expects.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2023, 03:45:03 PM »
Bruh, he’s 6’8”, athletic and has a 7’1” wingspan. Racked up 5 blocks all year. Crazy

But again...he guarded on the perimeter for Marquette.  You don't rack up blocked shots guarding on the perimeter. Not that difficult to understand.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
Well this bodes well……. https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1671243660501962753?s=61&t=V-11UglSSptgx62T_vj2fA

Nice!!!!!!  Although I still think he should have returned to MU.  :)

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2023, 03:53:21 PM »
It’s always risky drafting a combine superstar. I’d be disappointed if my team was drafting in the middle of the first round and selected him.

He’ll succeed if he lands in a spot where he isn’t leaned on early and he can acclimate to everyone on the floor being as athletic as him.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »
Is this bait / a joke?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2023, 04:07:03 PM »
It’s always risky drafting a combine superstar. I’d be disappointed if my team was drafting in the middle of the first round and selected him.

He’ll succeed if he lands in a spot where he isn’t leaned on early and he can acclimate to everyone on the floor being as athletic as him.

I think he needs to be able to consistently make a J to stick in the NBA and learn how to pass off the bounce.  Guys with his length and versatility defensively are wanted but they can make plays in the half-court offensively. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2023, 04:08:39 PM »
Wha?
YOU posted he is ranked #20 in ESPN mock draft………kid dreams his whole life to play in the NBA…….his stock has never been higher….but by all means return to college….who knows?…..Next year he could make all the way to #18.
His game isnt perfect……but these GMS and execs are liking more and more of what they saw and who OMAX is.
And again, that J aint improving at MU.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 04:13:45 PM by We R Final Four »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2023, 04:09:16 PM »
Is this bait / a joke?

I'm semi kidding.  I know I'm in the minority but I don't think $ offsets having a legitimate shot for an NCAA title and the entire college experience.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »
But again...he guarded on the perimeter for Marquette.  You don't rack up blocked shots guarding on the perimeter. Not that difficult to understand.

It is difficult to understand because it’s so shockingly low. You’re pretending OMax closed out on 3 point shooters and that’s it.

Last year .. first rounders .. two guys had a Lower blk% than OMax did this year… guards Nembhard & Wesley.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2023, 04:17:16 PM »
It is difficult to understand because it’s so shockingly low. You’re pretending OMax closed out on 3 point shooters and that’s it.

Last year .. first rounders .. two guys had a Lower blk% than OMax did this year… guards Nembhard & Wesley.
Honest question…..how do you explain Omax’s meteric rise in the lst two months regardless of this stat you keep harping on?
Do execs/GMs not know this stat?
Do they know this stat….but think highly of him anyways?
Do they not value the stat like you do?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2023, 04:20:09 PM »
I'm semi kidding.  I know I'm in the minority but I don't think $ offsets having a legitimate shot for an NCAA title and the entire college experience.

I know, right. I'm working really hard so that I'll have an NCAA title to leave to my kids (along with my entire college experience). I tried to use my entire college experience as collateral to buy my mom a house, but the loan didn't get approved.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2023, 04:25:43 PM »
Honest question…..how do you explain Omax’s meteric rise in the lst two months regardless of this stat you keep harping on?

Not sure what “meteric” is, but what had improved is where dorkbaits who project the draft have put him. Same dorks such as the one who had Justin in the first round, and the consensus was mid-2nd.

I’m just pointing out a reason there is risk. The usage, the rebounding, the minuscule blk%.. all risks. That said, I’m sure there are believers in his work ethic and athletic talents and size. That’s why, as I said, I have him in by 25. But, I acknowledge there’s risk.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2023, 04:35:58 PM »
I did not have "O-Max gets a green room invite" on my NBA Draft bingo card

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »
IMO, Omax’s work ethic, attitude and likely his relationship with Shaka is working in his favor. Shaka has developed NBA guys and Omax had serious improvement since his first day at MU. I would not be surprised if he goes between 17-24. Good guys with a work ethic and athleticism is what the NBA guys want on their teams.

I pull for all MU guys to break the bank and hope Omax is the first of many Shaka guys to make a name for himself.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2023, 04:56:14 PM »
Wondering if OMax has just been taught to stay on his feet and disrupt shots with length rather than getting airborne to attempt a block.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2023, 04:56:32 PM »

Guarding on the perimeter doesn't mean you can't be a good shot blocker and that you rarely have opportunities to block shots.  It's ok to admit it's a bit of a weird stat for OMax without being overly concerned about it. 

He has 12 blocks his entire college career.  Maybe just not something he's good at and I wouldn't say it's all due to being a good perimeter defender. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2023, 04:59:45 PM »
Not sure what “meteric” is, but what had improved is where dorkbaits who project the draft have put him. Same dorks such as the one who had Justin in the first round, and the consensus was mid-2nd.

I’m just pointing out a reason there is risk. The usage, the rebounding, the minuscule blk%.. all risks. That said, I’m sure there are believers in his work ethic and athletic talents and size. That’s why, as I said, I have him in by 25. But, I acknowledge there’s risk.

Are they as dorky as people that go watch high school basketball and write about it?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2023, 05:01:12 PM »

Agree 100%

He’ll regret this until the day he dies

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2023, 05:05:51 PM »
Are they as dorky as people that go watch high school basketball and write about it?

Only you can judge, ma’am!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2023, 05:10:04 PM »
Only you can judge, ma’am!

It appears you can judge the people writing about the draft. 

What does John Hollinger know about front offices or what people in the league are saying.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2023, 05:25:10 PM »
It appears you can judge the people writing about the draft. 

What does John Hollinger know about front offices or what people in the league are saying.

Dunno. He had Justin at #27

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2023, 05:30:00 PM »
Dunno. He had Justin at #27

And?  You think all the dorks are missing something?

You’re worried about block % when damn near every player in the draft has resume warts

Dude just got a green room invite.  Doesn’t guarantee a first round pick but it makes it a helluva lot more likely

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2023, 05:31:00 PM »

I get it.  I suppose I'm being a bit myopic and selfish. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2023, 05:33:15 PM »
Is this what green weenie means?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2023, 05:45:06 PM »
Guarding on the perimeter doesn't mean you can't be a good shot blocker and that you rarely have opportunities to block shots.  It's ok to admit it's a bit of a weird stat for OMax without being overly concerned about it. 

He has 12 blocks his entire college career.  Maybe just not something he's good at and I wouldn't say it's all due to being a good perimeter defender.

I guess I just don't think it is that weird.

He's a perimeter defender and that is where Marquette utilized him.  Guys really had a difficult time driving on him to the basket and with Marquette switching often he was typically out on the perimeter and didn't get traditional shot blocking opportunities.

I think it is likely that you see his defensive game expand in the NBA to more than just a perimeter defender.  He had 1 block in 22 minutes at the NBA combine too.
VIOLENCE!