[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants and their "use" of salt  (Read 5204 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Restaurants and their "use" of salt
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2023, 09:49:31 AM »
No I'm not.  Maybe your friends and family don't know how to cook?  There are many great restaurants but there are a ton more that are mediocre or crap.

You're honestly talking like cause you scored 25 points in your weekly hoops game at the gym, you could hold your own on a mid major college team.

You literally said the "average person/solid home cook" makes better meals than MOST restaurants.  That is absolutely absurd and moronic.

You got unexpected pushback to your conspiracy that every restaurant is poisoning us all with "5-10x" salt than needed, so now you're some how morphing into the idea that your food expertise is beyond reproach and creating wild false equivalences.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2023, 09:54:01 AM »
Time to dash from your salty argument, Muggs. Seas-on desist!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »
I'm being attacked unfairly but I should have used other words that solid home cooks. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2023, 10:48:25 AM »
I'm being attacked unfairly but I should have used other words that solid home cooks.

With this response, you are either 8 or 80 years old, no in between

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
Muggsy:
The basic premise of your Rant is excellent . I am firmly in the anti-salt camp. There is Plenty of sodium from natural sources . If people want to salt their food thats why they have a salt shaker .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »
I was told by a chef that , if a chef smokes, the taste buds are diminished and they compensate by adding more  salt to the recipe for flavor. 
There is no shame in letting staff know that the dish is not to your liking.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2023, 01:32:21 PM »
Wile hare is a good meal, but they are very hard to grab. Not sure how much salt is appropriate, though.
Rabbit in a Belgian beer sauce in Brussels? Magnificent!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2023, 02:23:45 PM »
I'm with Muggsy, here.  I can't stand when I get a beautiful braised rib and then I bite into it only to be completely overpowered by salt.

But I'm also with chick here.  A $200 per pop night you should be sending that back if it is not to your liking.

If you're at qdoba and your burrito is too salty, then you just don't eat at qdoba anymore.  If it happens at a fancy schmancy place you ask for it to be fixed.

Quit being so Midwest nice.  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2023, 04:55:01 PM »
Mugster,

Give this a whirl…..

Slice up a honey crisp, grind a little Himalayan pink salt over the slices, and dip in extra crunchy peanut butter.

Savory heaven.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2023, 05:52:00 PM »
Mugster,

Give this a whirl…..

Slice up a honey crisp, grind a little Himalayan pink salt over the slices, and dip in extra crunchy peanut butter.

That sounds really good!  I will echo that everyone should have kosher or sea salt. 

Savory heaven.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2023, 08:33:45 PM »
We'll agree to disagree. I like plenty of salt and use it generously.  What I don't like is 10 vats of it on my food.  As for everyone has different tastes?  Yes but that's not the issue here.  People conform with all sorts of things including food, restaurants, etc.  Behavioral psychologists have actually studied this and done a number of tests.
I would encourage you to read Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.  The fact of the matter is when the average person (who is a solid cook) prepares dishes at home, dishes they make that are usually better than most restaurants, they probably use anywhere from 1/5 to 1/10 the amount of salt.   I don't like light salt, I like the right portion of salt depending on the dish.

10 vats! No hyperbole here!

But you’re absolutely right. After all, you’ve got the James Beard awards and Michelin Stars to prove it. Everyone else are just unrefined morons.

I’m starting to understand why you like animals so much.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2023, 09:43:26 PM »
I meant finding a woman who is both zesty and salty but I guess that's an option too

The Theorem of Three is a thing, hey?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2023, 10:18:02 PM »
Mayos thoughts on salt

But what are salt's thoughts on mayo?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2023, 10:45:50 PM »
Muggsy:
The basic premise of your Rant is excellent . I am firmly in the anti-salt camp. There is Plenty of sodium from natural sources . If people want to salt their food thats why they have a salt shaker .

I've never been to a fine dining restaurant (read top restaurants) where there is a salt shaker on the table.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2023, 06:13:09 AM »
Mugsy follows eutectic curve principles when applying salt when he cooks.

He’s not just a chef, he’s a food scientist.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
Mugsy follows eutectic curve principles when applying salt when he cooks.

He’s not just a chef, he’s a food scientist.

I'm quite adept in the kitchen.  Again, diminutive people being attacked for no reason.  :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »
I'm quite adept in the kitchen.  Again, diminutive people being attacked for no reason.  :)

Sounds like you're a little salty.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2023, 10:40:44 AM »
I’m firmly in the camp that salt brings out the best in food. I have a salt grinder, coarse kosher salt, sea salt, Celtic Sea salt, and Maldon salt flakes always at the ready on the back of my stove. I’m sure I’m a little further on the salt end of the seasoning spectrum than the average person.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2023, 03:37:25 PM »
Sounds like you're a little salty.

Heard you are a shaker.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2023, 05:48:01 AM »
I don’t understand how you haven’t learned the consequences of bad takes on this board yet.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2023, 05:58:03 AM »
I don’t understand how you haven’t learned the consequences of bad takes on this board yet.
Sometimes, his takes are so dium

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2023, 06:05:26 AM »
Na. Cl assy
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2023, 05:25:16 PM »
The WSJ weekend print edition has an article about Salt which touches on a lot covered in this thread.  One thing the writer mentioned which I did not know is that in the 50's in Japan there were extremely high stroke rates.  The government actually required lower Salt levels (12 grams a day goal )in foods and restaurants and as a result, in a relatively short period of time, those rates decreased dramatically.  I think we oversalt to a fault.  I will just leave it at that. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2023, 06:06:24 PM »
The WSJ weekend print edition has an article about Salt which touches on a lot covered in this thread.  One thing the writer mentioned which I did not know is that in the 50's in Japan there were extremely high stroke rates.  The government actually required lower Salt levels (12 grams a day goal )in foods and restaurants and as a result, in a relatively short period of time, those rates decreased dramatically.  I think we oversalt to a fault.  I will just leave it at that.

We also don't dump a crap ton of soy sauce on everything we eat.
Have some patience, FFS.