[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....  (Read 18639 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2023, 08:17:31 AM »
He allegedly avoids returning to MU while most of the other former high profile MU basketball alums have come back and spoken to the team during Shaka’s time. He went and shot around at MSOE rather than MU during their series against Marquette. He allegedly did not provide a congratulation/well wishes video to Barb while most other high profile #mumbb alum did. Someone shared a video of him after game 5 in Milwaukee saying something along the lines of “Get me the eff up outta here. Tyler Community College alum.”

For the record, except for people really paying attention, nobody knows much of that. Whatever his beef is, he’s been pretty quiet about it. We’re all assuming he’s got a problem with MU based on things he’s done and said. But the fact that we have to assume - correctly, I think - just shows it’s pretty low key. He’s never, to my knowledge publicly said anything negative about Marquette.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2023, 08:36:55 AM »
I never said Marquette was perfect. But comparing it to a divorce is just silly. If he's going to publicly crap on where I came from when he comes to Milwaukee, my choice is to not cheer for him. I won't cheer against him, nor will I hold it against those that do, but his "get me the F out of here" felt very personal to me. If his response is F Marquette (which is exactly how I took that) then my response is in kind.

❄️❄️❄️

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2023, 08:44:14 AM »
I never said Marquette was perfect. But comparing it to a divorce is just silly. If he's going to publicly crap on where I came from when he comes to Milwaukee, my choice is to not cheer for him. I won't cheer against him, nor will I hold it against those that do, but his "get me the F out of here" felt very personal to me. If his response is F Marquette (which is exactly how I took that) then my response is in kind.

You’re free to be as offended as you chose. In 2023 America that freedom seems to be our most important one. Sad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2023, 09:27:53 AM »
You’re free to be as offended as you chose. In 2023 America that freedom seems to be our most important one. Sad.

If you want to get respect, you have to give respect. Jimmy is incapable of that. When he's grown up enough to earn respect again, I'll be happy to give it.

If your preference is to cheer for someone that actively disrespects you, you've got a lot of company.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2023, 09:41:14 AM »
Guys that graduate and are All-Americans while at Marquette and proudly rep the university get crapped on.  Jimmy openly craps on the university and Milwaukee and you’re a snowflake for having a problem with that.

Huh
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2023, 09:44:54 AM »
Induct him into the MU hall of fame which obliviously means an invite back to campus and probably a halftime moment to honor him. If he declines/rejects the offer then the beef is real. If he accepts then the beef is squashed

Either way, he deserves it and has deserved it for a while
Bring back FFP!!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2023, 11:00:46 AM »

I don’t think his statement had anything to do with Marquette. His dispute with MU has been pretty low-key IMO.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2023, 11:01:28 AM »
Induct him into the MU hall of fame which obliviously means an invite back to campus and probably a halftime moment to honor him. If he declines/rejects the offer then the beef is real. If he accepts then the beef is squashed

Either way, he deserves it and has deserved it for a while

The beef is recent and real. I’m sure it will eventually be fixed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2023, 11:02:03 AM »
If you want to get respect, you have to give respect. Jimmy is incapable of that. When he's grown up enough to earn respect again, I'll be happy to give it.

If your preference is to cheer for someone that actively disrespects you, you've got a lot of company.

D Wade... didn't have time for marquette at his peak... He wasn't as anti as butler appears, but people change. They grow up. They reflect more

If Butler is still as anti-MU as he appears to be right now in retirement. I'll probably stop being as for him as i am.

I agree with the comment above this, post his retirement, induct him into the MU hall of fame, invite back to campus and give him a moment to reflect and honor how fair he has come.

Jimmy is busy winning a championship right now.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2023, 11:05:09 AM »
Marquette Basketball has posted 8 times THIS week about Jimmy.

Dwyane Wade has congratulated Jimmy.

But when Lens & Lenny do it we’re disrespecting the team and the University?

Ok.  Got it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2023, 11:10:17 AM »
Jimmy Butler is one of those very few players that creates any mental edge he can to tap deeper into his competitiveness. It’s easy to understand the MJ comparisons in that respect. I don’t find it surprising that he’d roll into MKE for a playoff series and protect his “me against the world” attitude. He’s not interested in feel-good college reunions while he’s seeking a to knock off the #1 seed. He’s interested in feeling like a supervillain in a hostile environment.

I’m sure there’s some real or perceived slight that’s fueling all that. But, personally, none of that makes me like Jimmy any less. He is integral to this chapter of mubb history and I’m a heat fan until he’s done.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2023, 11:13:00 AM »
The beef is recent and real. I’m sure it will eventually be fixed.

To confirm, are you and brew referring to some inside info that you aren’t revealing? Or just the MSOE shootaround and comments at Fiserv?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2023, 11:30:30 AM »
I honestly wouldn’t know about a beef if not for those on this board, other than Jimmy being conspicuously absent when the Heat are in town. I don’t know of any comments he’s made.

Oh well. He’s not obligated to promote MU. It’s fun to see him do well in my opinion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2023, 11:33:43 AM »
To confirm, are you and brew referring to some inside info that you aren’t revealing? Or just the MSOE shootaround and comments at Fiserv?

An insider on another board posted what he believed to be the source of the beef. Brew is also a member of that board. If it’s true, it’s recent and kind of silly..but imo easily solved in the off season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2023, 11:37:21 AM »
JFB has become one of my all time favorite MU players. Doc mentioned the MU NBA Mt. Rushmore and I think Butler has surpassed Lucas to be the second best MU NBA player.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2023, 11:46:45 AM »
An insider on another board posted what he believed to be the source of the beef. Brew is also a member of that board. If it’s true, it’s recent and kind of silly..but imo easily solved in the off season.

Any chance humble scoop nation can be let in on this?

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2023, 11:47:37 AM »
I remember Al McGuire joking  "You know how you can tell if a guy is a Notre Dame alumni?  He'll pick his nose just to show off his class ring."  Jimmy doesn't do that.  He's busy. Leave him alone.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2023, 11:52:27 AM »
D Wade... didn't have time for marquette at his peak... He wasn't as anti as butler appears, but people change. They grow up. They reflect more

If Butler is still as anti-MU as he appears to be right now in retirement. I'll probably stop being as for him as i am.

I agree with the comment above this, post his retirement, induct him into the MU hall of fame, invite back to campus and give him a moment to reflect and honor how fair he has come.

Jimmy is busy winning a championship right now.

DWade came back to have his number retired 7 months after he was named Finals MVP. He also came to Midnight Madness (granted during the lockout), right before he won his 2nd championship.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2023, 11:55:29 AM »
DWade came back to have his number retired 7 months after he was named Finals MVP. He also came to Midnight Madness (granted during the lockout), right before he won his 2nd championship.

He came back to Madness a time before that. I believe during the Shumpert recruitment.

ghostofcorms77

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2023, 12:09:32 PM »
I’m trying to think of reasons for this beef. I can’t think of any, that would not make Marquette look incompetent.

Does anybody have any clue, or heard anything about what created the beef?

He’s your greatest marketing tool at this moment.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2023, 12:28:19 PM »
Marquette Basketball has posted 8 times THIS week about Jimmy.

Dwyane Wade has congratulated Jimmy.

But when Lens & Lenny do it we’re disrespecting the team and the University?

Ok.  Got it.

Who said that?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2023, 12:30:51 PM »
I’m trying to think of reasons for this beef. I can’t think of any, that would not make Marquette look incompetent.

Does anybody have any clue, or heard anything about what created the beef?

He’s your greatest marketing tool at this moment.

Which is fine. You can still use him as a marketing tool. He’s just not going to be proactive about it. He’s not saying anything against MU. Just let it play out.

ghostofcorms77

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:32 PM »
I for one would love this issue to be resolved.

The last thing I want, is for him to win finals mvp, and have Tyler Junior College get all the attention during his media run.

Especially, if it’s over him being mad because his number is not retired and/or he’s not in the MU HOF.

I have no idea why he’s mad at the university. He’s clearly pissed.

You say “let it play out”. Is it an easy to resolve situation? Like, if his reasoning is anything remotely close to a jersey retirement or something… oh man.

Something like that would be grossly negligent in my eyes. Players with the professional success/marketability of Jimmy don’t come around often. If he wants something, fire the jet up and give him what he wants.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »

I’ve tried multiple times to give IWB some money but that site infrastructure is so bad it crashes every time I’m about to put in my credit card. 

And if this secret beef sauce info came from Dodds premium well all I can say is LOL.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
I’ve always supported all of the former MU guys at the next level and have felt very proud of all of their accomplishments.
It’s a great thing for the University when these guys succeed.

Marquette has given us all a lot and is a huge part of our lives, that’s why we are here. My loyalty however is to the university and its basketball program more than it is to its former stars.

In that sense, I agree with Brew and Rico.
Marquette, and coach Buzz Williams, gave a lot to Jimmy Butler in the trajectory of both his basketball career and overall life.
There’s no guarantee that he wouldn’t be who he is without Marquette and Buzz, but there’s also no saying that he would have accomplish everything he has without the opportunity he got at Marquette.

So, I think there needs to be a mutual respect and admiration that goes above and beyond any petty trife. I don’t know if the disagreement is petty, and what seems petty to me might not be to JFB or MU, but it’s hard for me to respect those that dump on previous opportunity giving people and or establishments in any walk of life.
If you really feel slighted, you walk away with the hurt and try to once again extend an olive branch in a new unit of time.

All that said, there was a time where some of the MU faithful (perhaps even to this day) spoke negatively of DWade because he “changed, became a primadonna, etc etc.” That was never and will never be me.
In the same token, what Jimmy does in his personal time is his prerogative, outside of illegal and immoral things that harm others and make a person a pos.

If those accounts are true and come out as true I just won’t support him anymore. If he openly begins bashing Marquette the same.
He won’t care, he won’t be looking for our respect if that becomes the case.

On the purely basketball side of things, I’ve said for a while that I don’t think I’ve seen a basketball player improve year after year the way JFB has.
What he was in year 1 at Marquette, to year two, and then again year 1 in the NBA to year two and so on is remarkable and he should be proud.

He should also be proud of where he came from and bury any hatchet that he feels he needs to sharpen.