[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 3rd shift is boring  (Read 1067 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
3rd shift is boring
« on: May 15, 2023, 11:26:56 PM »
Who's up boys

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: 3rd shift is boring
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »
I worked 3rd shift for one week of my life and I was done.  It wasn't fo rme.

After Marquette graduation in 1991, the supermarket I worked at the past 6 years between high school and college breaks asked if I wanted to return to Produce after graduation.  Since no one was getting jobs in 1991, I said yes since I had to work somewhere until I found an engineering position.  It made for a good joke when I heard "YOU GOT JOB!" and had to footnote that it was back in my old supermarket and not engineering.

I didn't start an engineering job until February 1992.  The store got a new store manager before that who was an idiot.  He got fired after 18 months. 
In the meantime, he said he couldn't allow the Produce Manager to give me more than 20 hours a week and he had a job for me on 3rd shift to push the floor scrubber over the entire store and help grocery reload shelves afterwards.  I wasn't really interested, but it was 40 hours and I wanted to appear flexible.  Did if for a week, thought it sucked and said I don't care just give me 20 hours.  I ended up working ~30 hrs/wk regardless and found my first engineering job 2 months later.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 10:54:10 AM »
Mandela barnes' dad?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
I kind of liked my two 3rd shift stints but every job and experience is obviously different. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 11:13:27 AM »
 I have some substantial respect for those who work 3rd shift, if not so much for the work, for the lifestyle and time sacrifice.

Ive never had to do it, but as mentioned, Ive spent plenty of time in Asia, specifically trade shows in HK where there is a lot of downtime.  So thinking Twitter, social media, news....There is this chunk of time between about noon and 2PM where everything gets quiet.  Its midnight/1AM in the US, still early morning in Europe, I'll refresh Twitter and there are 2 posts in a half hour.  Its kind of surreal.  I can imagine what its like when thats your every day.  Not that you're scrolling the internet at work, but living your mid day while the rest of your world sleeps.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:49:12 AM »
I have some substantial respect for those who work 3rd shift, if not so much for the work, for the lifestyle and time sacrifice.

Ive never had to do it, but as mentioned, Ive spent plenty of time in Asia, specifically trade shows in HK where there is a lot of downtime.  So thinking Twitter, social media, news....There is this chunk of time between about noon and 2PM where everything gets quiet.  Its midnight/1AM in the US, still early morning in Europe, I'll refresh Twitter and there are 2 posts in a half hour.  Its kind of surreal.  I can imagine what its like when thats your every day.  Not that you're scrolling the internet at work, but living your mid day while the rest of your world sleeps.
Pimpin aint easy

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 12:05:19 PM »
Props to vampires!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 12:08:17 PM »
Every shift for the dentists is 'boring.'

(Rimshot)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 02:24:30 PM »
Like Brother MU Fan, I did an occasional third shift at a grocery store. When I was a senior in high school, I worked at a "high end" grocery store (the then version of Whole Foods) that was open 24/7. Trust me, being a cashier at a 1970s version of Whole Foods at 3:00 a.m., in an upscale Nashville neighborhood was a very lonely job. We got about four customers an hour and most either stumbled in on their way home from a nearby bar or were getting groceries before the children got up.

Did have the occasional Vanderbilt student who did their month's grocery shopping at 10 p.m. Actually wasn't a bad idea because the restocking had started and there was no one in the store. Down side: Bakery and deli were closed!

All in all, the only reason I would have done it again was to watch the 1974 NCAA national semi-final, in which we defeated Kansas. I was working during that game and kept asking my customers who was winning!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 03:53:03 PM »
Like Brother MU Fan, I did an occasional third shift at a grocery store. When I was a senior in high school, I worked at a "high end" grocery store (the then version of Whole Foods) that was open 24/7. Trust me, being a cashier at a 1970s version of Whole Foods at 3:00 a.m., in an upscale Nashville neighborhood was a very lonely job. We got about four customers an hour and most either stumbled in on their way home from a nearby bar or were getting groceries before the children got up.

Did have the occasional Vanderbilt student who did their month's grocery shopping at 10 p.m. Actually wasn't a bad idea because the restocking had started and there was no one in the store. Down side: Bakery and deli were closed!

All in all, the only reason I would have done it again was to watch the 1974 NCAA national semi-final, in which we defeated Kansas. I was working during that game and kept asking my customers who was winning!

Should have worked at H.G. Hill.  No drunks because they didn't sell booze.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »
Worked third shift in a warehouse . Was the worst worker . I screwed up everything I did. So in a last ditch attempt they sent me to the freezer. It was so effing cold in there, i worked my ass  off and set the picking record.

Word got out to the Union Steward ( a former MU football player who blew his knees out)of my achievement. He told me to slow down. I was screwing things up for  the rest of the workers. He said , “ Son take frequent breaks and enjoy the magazines in the break room ( Playboy and Sports Illustrated)”

Third shift paid well too
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 07:00:09 PM »
Should have worked at H.G. Hill.  No drunks because they didn't sell booze.

C'mon Chick, the drunks prepared me for Marquette!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 01:21:05 AM »
Another 3rd shift going strong!

Of course dead tired because a narc was stolen from another facility and everyone who worked in the past 30 days had to come in for an interview at 3pm! Fun!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »

Did you double bag?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 01:55:37 PM »
Did you double bag?

Given the crappy quality of the bags, yes.

And, because my title was "Courtesy Clerk", we loaded bags in back seat or trunk of a car. Always loved working the curb because we often were tipped. The spoils of working near Belle Meade!