'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #mubb going woke, or are MARQ editors just stupid blokes?  (Read 13554 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: #mubb going woke, or are MARQ editors just stupid blokes?
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2023, 07:39:41 PM »
Uncle Geeko has neither been in a foxhole nor a fox’s hole

What concern of it is yours?  You spend a a lot of time worrying about the sex lives of people that shouldn’t concern you.  One’s sexuality sure bothers you a lot. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2023, 07:44:34 PM »
It’s all about one’s perspective, I guess. But if you’re in a foxhole fighting for your own and your fellow Marine’s lives blind loyalty to that piece of cloth is a pretty good idea.

My dad was a WWII vet. Stood for the anthem. Pissed guys were laughing in the beer line during the anthem.But strangely enough never had a flag burning party. I was told that anyone had a problem with the anthem before any activities was a flag burning commie.
Do the anthem before any event guys play the anthem before sex? Even with themselves?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
Really? I was drinking Pacifico yesterday and it was as delicious as ever
I will drink with you. Not so sure about tower any more.  ;D

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2023, 07:46:56 PM »
Then how about we treat them with more than lip service at an unimportant sporting event?  Fix the VA, take care of the wounded warriors beyond flashing them on a Jumbotron for a few cheap pops?

We talk an awful lot about patriotism but when we have an opportunity to take care of our veterans, it turns into a pissing match about unimportant stuff like national anthems and respecting the flag. 

As someone that comes from a military family, I’ve seen first hand how patriots are treated.  They should be more than props and forgotten when the mission is done.

This. Absolutely this. Left wing commies like Jon Stewart understand this.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2023, 07:54:26 PM »
Rico

I think you are painting with a very wide brush. Not going to get in details,  but there are many on here, and elsewhere, that are active in supporting our vets, first responders and current military.

I get your schtick and do not get pissed off at your jokes, but I think you are off base with your comments on your last post.

I am thankful every fxxking today for what our veterans and others have done to make my life a better place. I was telling my kids today about the sacrifices my Mom made when my Dad was overseas and she is as much of a patriot as my Dad. They did not need anything from anyone, except each other. I will honor that commitment with pride.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2023, 08:06:46 PM »
Rico

I think you are painting with a very wide brush. Not going to get in details,  but there are many on here, and elsewhere, that are active in supporting our vets, first responders and current military.

I get your schtick and do not get pissed off at your jokes, but I think you are off base with your comments on your last post.

I am thankful every fxxking today for what our veterans and others have done to make my life a better place. I was telling my kids today about the sacrifices my Mom made when my Dad was overseas and she is as much of a patriot as my Dad. They did not need anything from anyone, except each other. I will honor that commitment with pride.

Sorry, Goose, but I believe those helping to be in the minority, not the majority.  And I cannot stand when we use military members as props at sporting events or things of that nature. 

We also paint a broad brush when we talk about service members undying love for country because they chose to serve and sacrificed greatly to do so.  Many became disillusioned at their country and how they were treated by their country while in service or upon leaving the service. 

We’ve conflated national anthems and the flag as the ultimate sign of patriotism when for many, it’s the absolute least they do to make their country or community better. 

I’m glad that you honor your parents the way to do.  I truly am. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2023, 08:11:34 PM »
My personal favorite was minor league baseball gane where the guy left his MAGA hat on during the anthem.  My arm hurt afterwards because my wife kept punching me because I was laughing out loud.

Can former military wear their hats during the anthem? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 10:30:55 PM by Shooter McGavin »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2023, 08:19:09 PM »
My dad was a WWII vet. Stood for the anthem. Pissed guys were laughing in the beer line during the anthem.But strangely enough never had a flag burning party. I was told that anyone had a problem with the anthem before any activities was a flag burning commie.
Do the anthem before any event guys play the anthem before sex? Even with themselves?

Honestly don’t understand this. Who “strangely enough never had a flag burning party”? The guys laughing in the beer line? And who told you that guys who had a problem with the anthem were flag burning commies? Your Dad?
And playing the anthem before games means we have to play it before sex, including masturbation? Is that the “any event” guys? Who are they?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2023, 08:23:34 PM »
Rico

My parents came from Serbia and Lithuania and were first generation born in the USA and both were born over 100 years ago. Side bar, I am 59 years old and they had me late in life. That said, my parents came from nothing and NEVER expected Uncle Sam to provide anything other than an opportunity.

I say this because there are a great deal of people in this country that do respect the flag and and anthem because it means something. IMO, many have forgotten what America represents and that makes me sad.

Will add, my parents questioned the government, our leaders and direction of our country, but never questioned the greatness of what America represented. My grandma never spoke English to me, but loved the opportunity she gave my Mom. That is why I will always tear up during the national anthem.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2023, 08:25:33 PM »
Rico

My parents came from Serbia and Lithuania and were first generation born in the USA and both were born over 100 years ago. Side bar, I am 59 years old and they had me late in life. That said, my parents came from nothing and NEVER expected Uncle Sam to provide anything other than an opportunity.

I say this because there are a great deal of people in this country that do respect the flag and and anthem because it means something. IMO, many have forgotten what America represents and that makes me sad.

Will add, my parents questioned the government, our leaders and direction of our country, but never questioned the greatness of what America represented. My grandma never spoke English to me, but loved the opportunity she gave my Mom. That is why I will always tear up during the national anthem.

Fair enough, Goose.  Thank you for sharing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2023, 08:36:42 PM »
Well played.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2023, 09:11:00 PM »

This is my favorite Mexican beer by a long shot also.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2023, 09:14:58 PM »
This is my favorite Mexican beer by a long shot also.
Negra Modelo
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2023, 09:25:28 PM »
COLE.
Tried COLE, found it lacked proper hops balance. YMMV.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2023, 09:45:45 PM »
I'm genuinely curious,  for those who in response to "playing the anthem before sporting events is cringe" went straight to some version of "you hate America", "why don't you leave?", or "you must be a commie"....are you like that in all aspects of life or just with your love of country?

For example, if one of your coworkers caught you at the water cooler and complained about the fluorescent lighting your company uses, do you accuse them of hating the company and telling them to find another job? If your spouse tells you about one of your quirks they could do without, do you call them a name and say they should leave the marriage?

If no, why does someone mildly criticizing one small aspsect of American culture provoke that response?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2023, 09:49:27 PM »
I'm genuinely curious,  for those who in response to "playing the anthem before sporting events is cringe" went straight to some version of "you hate America", "why don't you leave?", or "you must be a commie"....are you like that in all aspects of life or just with your love of country?

For example, if one of your coworkers caught you at the water cooler and complained about the fluorescent lighting your company uses, do you accuse them of hating the company and telling them to find another job? If your spouse tells you about one of your quirks they could do without, do you call them a name and say they should leave the marriage?

If no, why does someone mildly criticizing one small aspsect of American culture provoke that response?

I can sniff out a pinko from a mile away.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2023, 09:50:16 PM »
I’m like Rico but actually funny. Self proclamation is the best proclamation.

My apologies. I should have caught the sarcasm...but these days you can never really know for sure.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2023, 12:18:44 AM »
I'm disappointed we only sing the national anthem once and would prefer we sing it 5 times or more before every sporting event at all levels. People who prefer 0 times=godless gay commies, 1-2 times only=ungrateful selfish millennials, 3-4 times only=wrong but I'd still drink beer with you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2023, 06:18:31 AM »
Since I always drive home from Botanas, my wife gets two margaritas whereas I get a margarita and then a Pacifico. 

I’ve experimented with Negra Modelo & Victoria but Pacifico is definitely the best.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Viper

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2023, 07:36:47 AM »
I love America, I love our military and Vets, love our flag and the exceptionalism it represents, love our anthem and that we play it before sporting events.out

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
I love America, I love our military and Vets, love our flag and the exceptionalism it represents, love our anthem and that we play it before sporting events.out

What do you mean by exceptionalism?  If you mean the strongest and wealthiest nation to exist over the last few hundred years, then yeah. We have benefitted greatly from our geography in that regard.

But if you mean some sort predestination or such nonsense…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2023, 09:19:47 AM »
What do you mean by exceptionalism?  If you mean the strongest and wealthiest nation to exist over the last few hundred years, then yeah. We have benefitted greatly from our geography in that regard.

But if you mean some sort predestination or such nonsense…

We're #1 in school shootings, I think that's what he's referring to. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2023, 10:26:31 AM »

We also paint a broad brush when we talk about service members undying love for country because they chose to serve and sacrificed greatly to do so.  Many became disillusioned at their country and how they were treated by their country while in service or upon leaving the service. 

We’ve conflated national anthems and the flag as the ultimate sign of patriotism when for many, it’s the absolute least they do to make their country or community better. 

You’re certainly right about many vets becoming disillusioned when they return home. I had many friends who fought in Viet Nam and the way they were characterized and treated by many of those  who opposed the war was disgusting. Talk about a “broad brush” - they came home with a whole lot of people calling them murderers.

Not “cringing” when you hear the National Anthem doesn’t mean one thinks the US is perfect. Respecting what our flag stands for doesn’t equate to agreeing with every decision our politicians make.

You take issue with the way the government treats vets after their service. Good for you. Continue to advocate for more and better services for them. But I don’t think cringing during the National Anthem or disrespecting the flag will help much.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 10:30:21 AM by Lennys Tap »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
That phrase, "turning the other cheek" was covered in my pastor's sermon a few months ago. He provided some context that I hadn't heard before that I thought was interesting. The actual passage reads "if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also". In this case the other cheek is the left cheek. Most people (including the Roman occupiers at the time) were right handed. If they slapped your right cheek, it meant they were backhanding you which was considered a sign of disrespect. If you turned your cheek and made them hit you in the left cheek, they would have to punch you as an equal. So another interpretation of that phrase is as an act of defiant pacifism rather than just being a doormat.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/what-does-it-really-mean-to-turn-the-other-cheek.html if you are interested in reading about it.

Thanks, interesting take on turning the other cheek. I remember a cartoon commentary on that passage with Jesus "mooning" the slapper. That being said Jesus was no pacifist when it came to the money changers in the Temple.