[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #mubb going woke, or are MARQ editors just stupid blokes?  (Read 13390 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: #mubb going woke, or are MARQ editors just stupid blokes?
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
Congrats on posting things that are blatantly not true.  I’d encourage you to watch the Edmonton Oilers home game tonight for evidence.

Fine, no other domestic pro league except those based in the US. Of course they play the Canadian national anthem in the NHL when they play the USA’s during games involving the US-based teams.

They also play both when both are involved, but this is obviously a US-driven anomaly in professional sports.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2023, 01:37:10 PM »
Canada does. Go to a junior hockey game, and the crowd sings Oh Canada. Not sure why you think its weird. It's a way for people to show their patriotism. No one is forcing you to participate. Go to the beer stand, or restroom, or sit there and read scoop.

So you found one non-pro league in the most culturally-aligned country to the U.S. that also does this.

I don’t think it’s awful or anything, but you should be able to understand that it’s objectively odd that our sporting events begin with literal pro-military PR performances like flyovers and the playing of a national anthem before matches featuring players from numerous different countries. If you don’t, you need to get outside of the US more - it’s also one of the reasons our games never start on time either!

In the vast majority of countries (maybe there are a few more that also do it), the national anthem is reserved for more special occasions than a Cleveland - St. Louis game. 

Hell, let’s not pretend the fans in attendance care or show deference. 99% are trying to get their beers before tipoff, in the restroom, checking their phones, or chanting whatever custom line their team yells at the end a la “and the Home of the CHIEFSSSSS”.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 05:04:43 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »
You should ask the marines at Iwo Jima that raised the flags about that.
Try it yourself goofball. Dont think you could understand the USMC. Likely you would be a follower of the Communist manifesto.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2023, 01:59:52 PM »
I thought we were past Peak Scoop. 😔

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2023, 02:08:15 PM »
Agree with you wholeheartedly. There is nothing political about a national anthem--only the numbnuts that object to it. Ask the Marines who raised the flags at Iwo Jima, the boodiest battle in USMC History. We should all show deference to the Anthem. If one cant, then be silent and drink a beer with Dylan Mulvaney.
Details on The Battle of Iwo Jima.
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/npswapa/extcontent/usmc/pcn-190-003131-00/pcn-190-003131-00/sec7.htm#:~:text=The%20cost%20was%20staggering.,who%20landed%20on%20Iwo%20Jima.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2023, 02:10:56 PM »
Try it yourself goofball. Dont think you could understand the USMC. Likely you would be a follower of the Communist manifesto.

I’ve read extensively about the battle of Iwo Jima and the exploitation of the men that raised the flag and how they were discarded by fellow Americans following the war.

Wisconsin’s very own John Bradley purposely avoided discussing the flag raising until the day he died.

These men deserved far better than a song being played before a sporting event
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2023, 03:47:50 PM »
Personally I’m just glad that the anthem at sporting events is so sacred the team stops all concession sales during it. Can you imagine how disrespectful that would be to do financial transactions during such an important moment!

panda

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
Personally I’m just glad that the anthem at sporting events is so sacred the team stops all concession sales during it. Can you imagine how disrespectful that would be to do financial transactions during such an important moment!

Imagine hating the national anthem. funny thing is you’ll need some American made gas for your flag burning parties.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2023, 04:04:38 PM »
Imagine hating the national anthem. funny thing is you’ll need some American made gas for your flag burning parties.

I mean, I’m all for patriotic national anthems, but our’s is not a great song.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2023, 04:10:20 PM »

Who says they hate the national anthem?  It’s unnecessary to be played at sporting events. 

Part of what makes America great isn’t blind loyalty to a song or piece of cloth

panda

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2023, 04:19:25 PM »
I mean, I’m all for patriotic national anthems, but our’s is not a great song.

at least we’re not like that pathetic island across the pond. God save the queen used to be great until they caved to the woke mob and changed the lyrics.

panda

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2023, 04:21:46 PM »

Part of what makes America great isn’t blind loyalty to a song or piece of cloth

No it isn’t - it’s the war winning, fireworks and lite beer

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2023, 04:24:01 PM »

And truck nuts

panda

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2023, 04:25:52 PM »
And truck nuts

Too gay for my taste

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2023, 04:42:49 PM »
I’ve read extensively about the battle of Iwo Jima and the exploitation of the men that raised the flag and how they were discarded by fellow Americans following the war.

Wisconsin’s very own John Bradley purposely avoided discussing the flag raising until the day he died.

These men deserved far better than a song being played before a sporting event

My Dad fought on Iwo Jima but was OK with the National Anthem and the American flag. Too late for you to straighten him out on that - he’s dead.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2023, 04:57:41 PM »
My Dad fought on Iwo Jima but was OK with the National Anthem and the American flag. Too late for you to straighten him out on that - he’s dead.

You can be fine with the anthem and flag.  You can also be fine not having blind loyalty to a piece of cloth and a song.

It’s not straightening anyone out. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2023, 05:16:31 PM »
I’m ok with all the differing opinions on the anthem but what I couldn’t stand is that qb from San Fran taking a knee

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2023, 05:39:27 PM »

The woke mob ruined lite beer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2023, 05:41:30 PM »
And a pandemic ruined everybody's favorite Mexican beer to drink with a lime wedge.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2023, 05:46:07 PM »
The woke mob ruined lite beer.
They ruined light beer, not Lite beer

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2023, 06:02:15 PM »
They ruined light beer, not Lite beer

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2023, 07:22:27 PM »
And a pandemic ruined everybody's favorite Mexican beer to drink with a lime wedge.

Really? I was drinking Pacifico yesterday and it was as delicious as ever
Bring back FFP!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2023, 07:25:32 PM »
You can be fine with the anthem and flag.  You can also be fine not having blind loyalty to a piece of cloth and a song.

It’s all about one’s perspective, I guess. But if you’re in a foxhole fighting for your own and your fellow Marine’s lives blind loyalty to that piece of cloth is a pretty good idea.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2023, 07:29:22 PM »
It’s all about one’s perspective, I guess. But if you’re in a foxhole fighting for your own and your fellow Marine’s lives blind loyalty to that piece of cloth is a pretty good idea.

Uncle Geeko has neither been in a foxhole nor a fox’s hole
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2023, 07:37:41 PM »

Then how about we treat them with more than lip service at an unimportant sporting event?  Fix the VA, take care of the wounded warriors beyond flashing them on a Jumbotron for a few cheap pops?

We talk an awful lot about patriotism but when we have an opportunity to take care of our veterans, it turns into a pissing match about unimportant stuff like national anthems and respecting the flag. 

As someone that comes from a military family, I’ve seen first hand how patriots are treated.  They should be more than props and forgotten when the mission is done.