Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz….intriguing or just more “quirky”  (Read 9352 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Buzz….intriguing or just more “quirky”
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2023, 01:25:13 PM »
"Improper meddling" is an over-statement.

Not appropriately carrying out his responsibilities as an employee during a Title IX investigation is more accurate.

Two of his bosses were axed for this but Buzz wasn't (nor was he suspended). Why? The official MU process was obsolete and did not follow Obama's recent memorandum guidelines. The university process was in fact adjudicated, people forget.  The problem was MU didn't follow the federal guidelines.  It's why the university paid so much.

Believe me, Williams and Pilarz were looking for every legal reason to fire Buzz. Instead, they got axed too.

What a mess.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
Two of his bosses were axed for this but Buzz wasn't (nor was he suspended). Why? The official MU process was obsolete and did not follow Obama's recent memorandum guidelines. The university process was in fact adjudicated, people forget.  The problem was MU didn't follow the federal guidelines.  It's why the university paid so much.

Believe me, Williams and Pilarz were looking for every legal reason to fire Buzz. Instead, they got axed too.

What a mess.

I thought you were talking about Cottingham.

Anyway, the responsibilities even under the policy in place were clear - and he allegedly violated them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »
I thought you were talking about Cottingham.

Anyway, the responsibilities even under the policy in place were clear - and he allegedly violated them.

Cottingham and Klieban (who took paid "retirement").

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2023, 01:49:24 PM »

Who's a good boy Lenny!?!  Who's a good boy!?!  Is it you???

LOL!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2023, 02:12:14 PM »
Jack Carson played our former skipper in "Two Guys from Milwaukee"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039053/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2023, 03:36:40 PM »
Are we sure Buzz was asked to do a video for Barb?  MU may want as much to do with Buzz as they do with Jimmy.  They're two peas in a pod.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »
for those of us not aware of the facts around that, please share

There was a sexual assault involving multiple members of the team (won't go into those details).  Buzz brought the entire team out to his house for a dinner and to get the entire team on the same page.  He even had a member that was not involved in the assault text the victim to get their side of the story.  Really crappy stuff all around.  Other employees took the fall.  That's how it goes in big time athletics.  See MSU, PSU.  MU was heading that direction.  Thankfully MU "messed with happy" enough that the route corrected itself.

This was not the first incident of this type (regarding the sexual assault, not how it was handled), and it would not have been the last if Buzz was still around.

One of his signings is sitting in jail after being convicted of rape.  The "final straw" in "messing with happy" was not letting a recruit into Marquette after he tried to light a girl's hair on fire with a bunson burner in science class (to the point the fire department had to come out to the high school).  The kid ended up being kicked out of Kansas State.

Buzz loved to tell everyone he was a father figure to these broken kids he coached.  The reality was, he'd be that if they helped him win basketball games.  The epitome of Buzz was the game at West Virginia when he suspended half of the team for one half, and the other half of the team for the other half.  He claimed it was "tough love" and the team had to learn that actions have consequences.  The reality was the true message is, "I'll punish you only up to the point where I still have a chance to win a basketball game."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:20:38 PM by withoutbias »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2023, 04:09:29 PM »
"Improper meddling" is an over-statement.

Not appropriately carrying out his responsibilities as an employee during a Title IX investigation is more accurate.
i’m not trying to bust on you…and I’m not pro or against Buzz…but you can’t say Buzz didn’t carry out his responsibilities as an employee during a title IX investigation unless you know this as fact, just like you can’t say he improperly meddled unless you know that as fact. I’m sure we agree, however, that Buzz would appear to be an odd dude.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
i’m not trying to bust on you…and I’m not pro or against Buzz…but you can’t say Buzz didn’t carry out his responsibilities as an employee during a title IX investigation unless you know this as fact, just like you can’t say he improperly meddled unless you know that as fact. I’m sure we agree, however, that Buzz would appear to be an odd dude.

Fine.  "According to what I heard...."

Which is the exact same story that withoutbias just shared.  And I don't think we heard them from the same sources.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2023, 04:50:16 PM »
I think you guys are in some very dangerous territory here and you should probably knock it off. When attributing felonious conduct to someone, don't start a sentence with "from what I heard".

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2023, 04:59:27 PM »
I think you guys are in some very dangerous territory here and you should probably knock it off. When attributing felonious conduct to someone, don't start a sentence with "from what I heard".

Just go back and look at what was written at the time.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-marquette-sex-cases-20111028-story.html

It goes into detail what the sexual assault involved, what acts the victims reported being forced to do, what the athletes did to prevent the victims from leaving. It also talks about an inappropriate meeting the coaches had with the athletes within hours of the events.

This whole "from what I heard" are things people heard not just from rumors, but from major reporting outlets with sources. It includes quotes from the victims, Marquette police, and then-acting Athletic Director Mike Broeker.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2023, 05:01:57 PM »
Just go back and look at what was written at the time.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-marquette-sex-cases-20111028-story.html

It goes into detail what the sexual assault involved, what acts the victims reported being forced to do, what the athletes did to prevent the victims from leaving. It also talks about an inappropriate meeting the coaches had with the athletes within hours of the events.

This whole "from what I heard" are things people heard not just from rumors, but from major reporting outlets with sources. It includes quotes from the victims, Marquette police, and then-acting Athletic Director Mike Broeker.

Right.  There is nothing "dangerous" about what was posted.  It's known information.  People just remember what they want to remember.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2023, 05:02:22 PM »
Like I said earlier, between the sexual assault story, the recruiting violations that got Monarch fired and Buzz suspended, and other negative headlines that were showing up too frequently for Admin's liking, they tried to install guardrails against these things from continuing. Buzz didn't like the guardrails and decided he would rather go to Virginia Tech than continue at Marquette.

We are in a better place now. Like Buzz did, it's best to move on, because dragging this up isn't something that will ever go well, especially not for Buzz defenders, and especially not in light of the differences between the world we live in now and how these things were handled a decade ago.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2023, 05:36:15 PM »
There was a sexual assault involving multiple members of the team (won't go into those details).  Buzz brought the entire team out to his house for a dinner and to get the entire team on the same page.  He even had a member that was not involved in the assault text the victim to get their side of the story.  Really crappy stuff all around.  Other employees took the fall.  That's how it goes in big time athletics.  See MSU, PSU.  MU was heading that direction.  Thankfully MU "messed with happy" enough that the route corrected itself.

This was not the first incident of this type (regarding the sexual assault, not how it was handled), and it would not have been the last if Buzz was still around.

One of his signings is sitting in jail after being convicted of rape.  The "final straw" in "messing with happy" was not letting a recruit into Marquette after he tried to light a girl's hair on fire with a bunson burner in science class (to the point the fire department had to come out to the high school).  The kid ended up being kicked out of Kansas State.

Buzz loved to tell everyone he was a father figure to these broken kids he coached.  The reality was, he'd be that if they helped him win basketball games.  The epitome of Buzz was the game at West Virginia when he suspended half of the team for one half, and the other half of the team for the other half.  He claimed it was "tough love" and the team had to learn that actions have consequences.  The reality was the true message is, "I'll punish you only up to the point where I still have a chance to win a basketball game."
read my comment to Sultan

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2023, 05:40:54 PM »
Buzz wasn’t arrogant at all, I think that’s being confused with his general social awkwardness.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2023, 05:43:25 PM »

Yeah you guys should probably open your eyes a little.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2023, 05:45:37 PM »

The Tribune doesn't go into detail about the meeting, but it was pretty well known around campus. This is from the Tribune article and their talks with Broeker:

Quote from: Chicago Tribune
Mike Broeker, acting athletic director, told the Tribune that coaches met with players after campus security notified the athletic department of the woman's report. Calling it a "severe error in judgment," he said the department is changing how it responds when athletes are in trouble.

It wasn't a mystery that it was basketball players and the head of the coaching staff was Buzz. As Broeker said, the department was changing their response. The reason for that was because the way it was handled was a "severe error in judgment." It isn't Sultan saying Buzz didn't carry out his responsibilities or improperly meddled, it was Marquette's administration saying that to the Chicago Tribune at the time.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2023, 05:58:45 PM »

“Please provide the details.”

Details are provided, including by the Chicago Tribune, quoting the Deputy AD of MU.

“I don’t like the details. Be careful what you claim.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2023, 06:14:08 PM »
And I admit I defended Buzz at the time. I didn't know then what I know now, and I was wrong.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2023, 09:56:32 PM »
Let's just be real, the morals and family man persona Buzz puts on is great, but he will easily turn a blind eye. As someone who was on campus during all of this, the stories I heard were terrifying and sad. So glad his ass is gone.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2023, 10:22:22 PM »

Dick,

I loved the Buzz era at MU.  But knowing this other information makes me think that he either made a terrible mistake or he is a complete and utter douche.  I’m glad he’s gone if this stuff was happening.  Now that you/we are reminded of this incident and have a Chicago Tribune story backing it (that many of us forgot about apparently) just curious if your stance that Buzz had only two responsibilities at MU is maintained.  This kind of activity should not be acceptable at our University in my opinion and I hope yours.  Lenny, feel free to chime as well as you seem to have forgotten about his behavior (again, like many of us did). 

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2023, 07:36:15 AM »
All I know is that Buzz took these matters so seriously that he had a massive wad of chewing tobacco in his mouth the entire time he was being interviewed by MU’s outside counsel during their investigation, and he spilled his spit cup on the table in front of one of Wisconsin’s most highly regarded attorneys questioning him. He’s an ass.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »
All I know is that Buzz took these matters so seriously that he had a massive wad of chewing tobacco in his mouth the entire time he was being interviewed by MU’s outside counsel during their investigation, and he spilled his spit cup on the table in front of one of Wisconsin’s most highly regarded attorneys questioning him. He’s an ass.

Get thee to a fainting couch post haste!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »
I will honestly plead ignorance and say that I did not know the extent of the situation when Buzz was here, so guess I'll retract my earlier statement that I "loved Buzz"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 09:38:07 AM by Coleman »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2023, 10:29:24 AM »
I’ll call your BS. I never met BW, so can’t comment on him good or bad…but your story here is BS.