collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Future of Cities  (Read 28318 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: The Future of Cities
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »
Who you callin' a Sumerian? YOU'RE a Sumerian, pal!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »
What you're describing isn't the downfall of cities, though. It's the evolution of cities. And that's something that's been happening since a bunch of Sumerians got together and decided they were tired of walking so much.

Okay, is your definition of downfall the total elimination?  Because then we're just having a ridiculous argument.

If you're okay with it, arbiter, we can change downfall to decline.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2023, 02:30:50 PM »
And yet they are growing, including the Chicago metro area.

Just because you keep saying it does not make it correct ...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-census-update-2023-20230518-i2de6f6oy5gsba3ahzgv2by2hq-story.html

People constantly come and go, but new estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show that Chicago lost about 81,000 people, or just under 3% of its population, from 2020 to 2022. Despite the decline, the city retained its position as the nation’s third most populous city, after New York City and Los Angeles, in 2022. Houston was ranked fourth.

Chicago’s population as of July 1, 2022, was estimated at 2,665,039, with changes calculated from the estimated base of April 1, 2020.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2023, 02:52:40 PM »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-census-update-2023-20230518-i2de6f6oy5gsba3ahzgv2by2hq-story.html

People constantly come and go, but new estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show that Chicago lost about 81,000 people, or just under 3% of its population, from 2020 to 2022. Despite the decline, the city retained its position as the nation’s third most populous city, after New York City and Los Angeles, in 2022. Houston was ranked fourth.

Chicago’s population as of July 1, 2022, was estimated at 2,665,039, with changes calculated from the estimated base of April 1, 2020.

And that's before Brandon Johnson!!!!!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2023, 02:55:39 PM »
People have been forecasting the downfall of cities for a long time. Heisey will just be the latest in a long-line of people to be wrong about it.

Perfect post by a guy with the name "semantics" in his handle. "Downfall" means nothing.

For instance, Chicago's population was 3.6 million in 1970, and 2.6 million today. So, by one definition, the loss of 1 million in 50 years makes the "downfall" a historical statement of fact. It is not an opinion, anymore.

But since it is an open-ended meaningless statement, as long as there is a geographic area called A city" the expert of semantics can claim this statement is wrong.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2023, 03:04:00 PM »

Angela Davis will join Johnson in a Sunday event about the future of Chicago.
Because Angela Davis is exactly the person Johnson wants to talk about the future of Chicago.

Promoted on Twitter here
https://twitter.com/gochujung_/status/1658550933653954575

Who is Angela Davis?
---
Davis was among the most notorious figures in America’s last radical era forty or fifty years ago. She was twice the U.S. Communist Party’s candidate for vice president and was warmly welcomed by the former Soviet Union (which awarded her its Lenin Peace Prize), the former East Germany and Cuba. A gun belonging to her was used in a famous attempt to spring prisoners in which four people were killed. She was prosecuted but acquitted for three capital felonies including conspiracy to murder.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2023, 03:05:49 PM »
Perfect post by a guy with the name "semantics" in his handle. "Downfall" means nothing.

For instance, Chicago's population was 3.6 million in 1970, and 2.6 million today. So, by one definition, the loss of 1 million in 50 years makes the "downfall" a historical statement of fact. It is not an opinion, anymore.

But since it is an open-ended meaningless statement, as long as there is a geographic area called A city" the expert of semantics can claim this statement is wrong.

LOL, this is rich.  Coming from a guy who cites population figures from "a city" without seemingly understanding how cities work and operate.

I think I would make a great living as a futurist.  All I would have to do is come to Scoop to see what Heisey is saying...and predict the opposite.  I'd be rich beyond my wildest dreams.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2023, 03:06:47 PM »

How do you say "defund the police?"

BREAKING: Mayor Brandon Johnson appoints @GarienGatewood Deputy Mayor of Community Safety, a post created by MBJ. He "will lead cross-government efforts to eradicate the root causes of crime and violence, and advance a comprehensive, healing-centered approach to public safety."

13:54
https://twitter.com/jimdaleywrites/status/16595854406
BREAKING: Mayor Brandon Johnson appoints @GarienGatewood Deputy Mayor of Community Safety, a post created by MBJ. He "will lead cross-government efforts to eradicate the root causes of crime and violence, and advance a comprehensive, healing-centered approach to public safety."

https://twitter.com/jimdaleywrites/status/1659585440603598849?s=20
@GarienGatewood "I am humbled by this opportunity to advance a holistic and comprehensive approach to community safety," said Gatewood in a press release announcing the appointment.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »

LOL, this is rich.  Coming from a guy who cites population figures from "a city" without seemingly understanding how cities work and operate.

I think I would make a great living as a futurist.  All I would have to do is come to Scoop to see what Heisey is saying...and predict the opposite.  I'd be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Go for it!

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »
Go for it!

Nah. It would require to read too many of your posts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2023, 03:10:06 PM »
Nah. It would require to read too many of your posts.

lazy

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2023, 03:13:49 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
lazy

Sultan is way, way too busy to do something like that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

Thanks for that update, seriously. I hadn't seen it from two days ago.

It is only talking about the city of Chicago and not the metro area, though. As of the previous report, the Chicago metro area actually had grown, but maybe this latest report shows the area also has seen a small decline.

Either way, I'm not particularly concerned. It's your right to be very concerned, of course.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2023, 03:42:55 PM »
Okay, is your definition of downfall the total elimination?  Because then we're just having a ridiculous argument.

If you're okay with it, arbiter, we can change downfall to decline.

Arbiter? Cool.

I would use neither downfall or decline, because neither are accurate. What you describe as occurring in the 60s and 70s is just part of the ebb and flows of urbanization that's been occurring since the dawn of civilization. And a minor blip of one at that. You want to see a real ebb? Check out Rome in the mid 6th century. Or London circa 1563. And yet both are still around.
Maybe we'll see a tectonic shift in civilization, and humanity moves away from the urban model that's been at the core of our existence for a few millennia now. I suspect not, but who knows.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2023, 03:53:40 PM »
In the Tribune article:

Eamon Kerrigan-Krodel, 22, graduated from Ohio State University in December and is moving to Chicago in July, where he got an accounting job. He likes Chicago’s nightlife, affordable rent and public transportation.

“Being able to take the train into work or pretty much anywhere you want to go in the city is awesome,” he said.

Kerrigan-Krodell is relocating at a time when Chicago’s rental market is booming, with the city seeing some of the fastest price increases in the country, indicating high demand.

Yep. If he's smart (and he went to The OSU, so he must be!), he'll simply spend his time in Chicago's many wonderful, vibrant, safe neighborhoods while avoiding the few bad neighborhoods.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2023, 10:16:03 AM »
Brother MU:

Northeastern Illinois isn't growing either. The same Chicago Tribune article reported the following:

"The census also estimates that Illinois lost more than 230,000 people, or about 1.8%, in that time. Much of the reported decline — about 176,000 — came in the Chicago metropolitan area, which covers 14 counties including Cook and the collar counties, and extends into Indiana and Wisconsin."

As I said earlier, that's before Brandon Johnson. If the city doesn't get the crime problem under control, the 81,000 person loss will be a single raindrop in the ocean. It will get a lot bigger a lot faster. Add that to job killing taxes that Mayor Johnson is proposing for Chicago and the things that make Chicago, well, Chicago, will erode. Pile on Governor JB and the illusionary financial improvement in Illinois and you have a real problem.

It's death by a thousand cuts. One cut was Mitsubishi in Normal. Another is Chrysler in Belvidere. And Sears (failing), Citadel, Caterpillar, Allstate (moving more of its jobs elsewhere), Boeing, American scaling back its hub at ORD and, well, you get the drift.

My wife and I are testing something this year -- we're doing AirBnB in Lincoln Park from July to September. If it's nice, we'll come back. But if the crime is what it's alleged to be, perhaps not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2023, 01:34:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, dg.

I'll let you wax poetic about what the mayor does or doesn't need to do.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »

Hope you're not getting your Brandon Johnson info from Fox "News."

The morning of Mayor Brandon Johnson’s inauguration, “Fox and Friends” aired a live segment from a Naperville diner featuring two Black men whom Fox’s correspondent said happened to be from Chicago. The correspondent, Gianno Caldwell, presented the segment as a spontaneous interview about Johnson being sworn in as mayor.

Except the two men didn’t just happen to be at the diner. Both men told The TRiiBE they were invited to appear on the segment by Caldwell, but that Caldwell told them the interview would be about violence, not Johnson.

One of the men, Lavondale “Big Dale” Glass, is an assistant director of violence prevention for Project H.O.O.D., a nonprofit whose founder endorsed Vallas. The other man, Andre Smith, was paid more than $10,000 by Vallas‘s campaign committee, and told The TRiiBE he ran field operations for the campaign.

https://thetriibe.com/2023/05/fox-and-friends-staged-naperville-interview-criticizing-mayor-brandon-johnson/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2023, 03:44:33 PM »
At least they weren't bribed to pose as homeless veterans in order to buttress another made up story.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2023, 04:47:36 PM »
From the story above.

Most of these cities never had more than 1 million in population. This is factually incorrect.

——

The 10 most populous cities — those with more than 1 million residents at the start of the pandemic — did the best, with nine out of 10 showing demographic improvement. (Only Philadelphia did not.) The turnarounds spanned the country, with the largest in San Francisco, Seattle, Nashville, Boston, New York City, San Jose, Dallas and Milwaukee, according to an analysis of the data by William Frey, a senior demographer at the Brookings Institution.

The problem is your reading comprehension. The article states the 10 most populous cities did the best. Those 10 cities are not listed in the portion posted by MU82, but they would be NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and San Jose.

Many of the cities listed (San Fran, Seattle, Nashville, Boston, Milwaukee) were between 500,000 and 1,000,000. It's clear from what was posted. Try reading it again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2023, 07:43:37 PM »
Rural America Lost Population Over the Past Decade for the First Time in History
https://carsey.unh.edu/publication-rural-america-lost-population-over-past-decade-for-first-time-in-history

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2023, 06:24:59 AM »
The problem is your reading comprehension. The article states the 10 most populous cities did the best. Those 10 cities are not listed in the portion posted by MU82, but they would be NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, and San Jose.

Many of the cities listed (San Fran, Seattle, Nashville, Boston, Milwaukee) were between 500,000 and 1,000,000. It's clear from what was posted. Try reading it again.

Or it is a horribly written paragraph reflecting the poor state of mainstream journalism.

And everything about this story is suspect.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2023, 10:06:54 AM »
I expect the long term population trends toward cities to continue. It is an arch that goes back centuries and really picked up with the Industrial Revolution.  Covid will force adjustments from commercial towards more residential. But people aren’t moving back to tiny rural towns because they can work from there as people predicted. Some people, sure, older people to save money, sure. Educated younger people want to be in cities.  The trend to the south will continue. These trends are long term and history is our guide for the future.

Cities like Chicago see residential populations increasing in more expensive nicer areas, the downtowns, etc.  Declines in poorer neighborhoods. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2023, 10:20:39 AM »
Declines in poorer neighborhoods. 

Because of the black on black crime.

feedback