[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Future of Cities  (Read 27936 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: The Future of Cities
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
The difference between SF and Chicago is that in Chicago, for the most part, the "bad areas" are still, for the most part, away from the tourist areas.  Yes, teens occasionally ransack Michigan Ave, but that is (for now) the exception

SF has addicts and homeless people living everywhere, including the tourist areas.  Crime is everywhere.  (My BIL is in law enforcement in SF).

No doubt 🐷🐷 will claim that SF's poop spraying squads are invented by Fox News, but they exist and should be tripled.  Parts of SF smell worse than a slaughteryard or a tannery, except the smell is coming from humans.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2023, 12:27:36 PM »
Need Harry Callahan to make SF great again!

Settle down...just kidding.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »
Cool. But this -- especially your last line -- seems to run counter to your earlier posts.

Have a great time in LP. I'll be surprised if you don't.

Brother MU:

I've never been afraid of Chicago. I know just about every inch of the city and really am not afraid of much of anything.

Brother Goose:

One of my best clients and a really great business referral source is in Portland, so I've been out there a lot over the years. I love the city but the inability to deal with its problems is causing it to lose its luster. It isn't Antifa -- as a visitor I don't care what a city's politics are as long as I can walk or drive to where I'm going without being killed and that I feel welcome.

What's causing Portland problems is the homelessness and inability to humanely deal with it. Homelessness is a particular problem on the west coast because of the cities' temperate climate. The homeless problem has spilled over into the tourist areas. With the de-retailing of downtown Portland, it's not as appealing as it once was.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2023, 12:58:01 PM »
Ziggy

Watch it. My family owned a tannery near MU campus, and I miss that smell.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2023, 01:33:35 PM »
Ziggy

It's still in my nostrils from 25 years ago, Goose.

Similar to diving through Kimberly when the paper plants are in full swing.  "The smell of money."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:39:31 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2023, 01:36:11 PM »
Ziggy

You always knew which way the wind was blowing on the Marquette campus by the smell.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
South, tannery
West, Miller
ENE, Pabst.
SE, the lake
Just north of due east, Ambrosia
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »
Guys

A couple of little known facts on the smells in MKE. The meatpackers south of campus were worse than tanneries and Red Star Yeast was in the middle of three tanneries, including my Dad's, and that added a great deal to the mix.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2023, 02:55:05 PM »
South, tannery
West, Miller
ENE, Pabst.
SE, the lake
Just north of due east, Ambrosia

I believe the west smell was the yeast plant, not Miller. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2023, 02:55:38 PM »
You are underestimating the power of propaganda, particularly long-term relentless repetition.

Sprocket has heard literally hundreds of times that San Francisco and Portland are burning HellZones. He is no longer open to learning otherwise nor would he even believe his own eyes if they contradicted the dross he has willingly, gratefully swallowed.

i've been to both a few times and chicago many times.  loved them years ago.  it's really unfortunate what has happened to them i choose not to spend my money there.  is that ok with you jack wagon?  i would much rather spend my time and money where i feel it's worth my while.  go ahead and join your buddys in the chit holes they've made for themselves. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2023, 03:03:34 PM »
  i've been to both a few times and chicago many times.  loved them years ago.  it's really unfortunate what has happened to them i choose not to spend my money there.  is that ok with you jack wagon?  i would much rather spend my time and money where i feel it's worth my while.  go ahead and join your buddys in the chit holes they've made for themselves.

I’m not moving to Arizona
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2023, 03:13:25 PM »
I’m not moving to Arizona

excellent!  we've all seen how you guys have f'd up enough of our cities as it is.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2023, 03:23:42 PM »
  excellent!  we've all seen how you guys have f'd up enough of our cities as it is.

I like cities with water

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2023, 03:47:34 PM »
I like cities with water

Arizona has plenty of water.

But, enjoy Portland, hippy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2023, 03:48:23 PM »
Arizona has plenty of water.

But, enjoy Portland, hippy.

Good luck with that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2023, 04:59:42 PM »
  i've been to both a few times and chicago many times.  loved them years ago
Yes, before Faux News made them culture war item #752, and you mindlessly, gleefully, swallowed every lie and asked for more.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2023, 05:46:02 PM »
I’m sure the population is devastated by this development

This is why the dental conference is in nice, safe and quiet Fond du lac.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2023, 06:21:13 PM »
I like cities with bong water

clarification

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2023, 07:37:06 PM »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #344 on: May 24, 2023, 04:39:04 AM »
ZaLin

I have been to Portland many times, mostly years ago because Nike was a big customer of ours in the 1990's and loved it. I have no problem with my daughter living there, especially because is a very active outdoors person and runs, hikes and skis all over the area. I was just somewhat surprised her change of heart about Portland. Granted, she is not looking to move away, and her SUV being stolen when she unloaded her skiing gear has influenced her to some degree. That said, she definitely has a slightly different opinion today vs. three years ago.

Fair enough, there is some extra vigilance needed around car security for sure.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #345 on: May 24, 2023, 08:55:09 AM »
I was in San Francisco last month and it was fantastic as usual. Will be in Chicago in a couple of weeks and am expecting the same.

Too bad you allow your fears to be manipulated and you miss out on good times.

My wife and I stay in downtown Chicago about once a quarter.  Amtrak down and find a hotel in the city...dinner, sometimes a show...late nights and brunch before a train back.  I'm amazed at people that think its dangerous or really even changed.  It's Chicago.  It's a city.  And its way better than anything we have in Wisconsin (and most of America if I'm being honest).     
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #346 on: May 24, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
My wife and I stay in downtown Chicago about once a quarter.  Amtrak down and find a hotel in the city...dinner, sometimes a show...late nights and brunch before a train back.  I'm amazed at people that think its dangerous or really even changed.  It's Chicago.  It's a city.  And its way better than anything we have in Wisconsin (and most of America if I'm being honest).     

Yep.

We get to Chicago often because our son and his family still lives there. It's a bummer that they moved to the burbs a couple years ago, but we still get into the city at least once or twice every trip. Always enjoy it, never feel threatened.

Our secret (shh-don't tell anyone!): We avoid the bad areas, most of which have been bad for decades.

BTW, our son didn't move to the burbs because of crime or any other macro reason. They loved living in the city and wanted to raise their family there (just as we raised our family there). At the time, they simply couldn't find a house in their price range in their favorite neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:52:27 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #347 on: May 24, 2023, 01:25:55 PM »
san francisco, chicago, seattle, portland used to be really neat cities.  i miss chicago and san fran especially.  won't be going back very soon.  not worth the risk considering the costs...too bad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Educate yourself, you silly old man.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #348 on: May 24, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »
Yup
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2023, 01:34:27 PM »
Ziggy

You're probably the only one!   :P