Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86501 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #575 on: May 16, 2023, 03:43:10 PM »
Would be a massive disappointment

I hate to say it, but get ready to be disappointed. At this point our best best is to bring back Zach Wrightsil. He was a fabulous teammate last year and might be that "locker room" guy that's needed to keep things fun and loose. Not sure what he'll bring to the team on the court though

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #576 on: May 16, 2023, 03:47:17 PM »
I hate to say it, but get ready to be disappointed. At this point our best best is to bring back Zach Wrightsil. He was a fabulous teammate last year and might be that "locker room" guy that's needed to keep things fun and loose. Not sure what he'll bring to the team on the court though
I think we should bring Wrightsel back. At worse he would be a valuable practice player.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #577 on: May 16, 2023, 04:18:56 PM »
I think this argument is clear - Some feel the need to add a big in the portal for depth or even a replacement for OMAX since with him we are a clear title contender.  The other side has various strains of the returning players and recruits + Shaka coaching development will allow the sum to be greater then than the individual parts. 

The way I would phrase side 2 is that the remaining 11 players with possible exception of Al Amadou (who would still serve in any of the past 40 years of MU basketball as a serviceable 4th big) - so lets say remaining 10 plyers are all GOOD high major basketball players with at least 3 who I would say are legit AAs (Kolek, Oso, K Jones).  You want to use that 29 minutes to keep your 10 committed, all getting some playing time in the first half as well as garbage time which is what Shaka did last year which probably hurt some of our metrics but is going to pay off big time this year, as it showed the whole team committed to each other, everyone considered a player, and resulting in everyone coming back (last year: Gold getting a minute or 2 in first halves in particular, but Sean and Ross getting minutes early also).

This team will have 10 high quality players with AAs among them.  They have plenty of quality size, definitely more than the vast majority of MU teams over the past 40 years. Shaka and the coaches can make that work.  I think Ross will get plenty of play if he explodes like Kam and Jop and Oso and Kolek did last year.  3 and 4 guard lineups can work if Ross becomes a Butler like monster on both ends of the floor.  Every year in CBB teams lose great players and a different mix steps up.  I would rather not add anyone outside of a Wrightsill or end of bench big for practice and emergency purposes.  Keep the Shaka formula - if Kolek didn't get hurt I think we were a final 4 team.  This coming year I think we will have the depth to succeed with an injury - look how well X did after Freemantle etc.  10 very good to great high major players, all committed is enough.  That's my take.

Good analysis.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #578 on: May 16, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
Need an emergency big. Hopefully someone better than Keeyan. If Oso or Gold go down the season spirals.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #579 on: May 16, 2023, 05:03:18 PM »
OMax measures in at 6'6.75".

7'1" wingspan which is about average for his height.

So I think the big question will be whether he can defend small forwards in the NBA.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:10:51 PM by Jockey »

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #580 on: May 16, 2023, 05:08:09 PM »
Kalkbrenner and Edey (7'3.25") are the only 7'+ guys at the combine.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #581 on: May 16, 2023, 06:47:32 PM »
OMax measures in at 6'6.75".

7'1" wingspan which is about average for his height.

So I think the big question will be whether he can defend small forwards in the NBA.

All his numbers stood out, elite athleticism and good size and length. He confirmed what most already knew, from a physical standpoint, he looks like a 1st rounder. The question is, do those physical attributes translate to the basketball court at a similarly high level, or if not, can a team develop him.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #582 on: May 16, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »
All his numbers stood out, elite athleticism and good size and length. He confirmed what most already knew, from a physical standpoint, he looks like a 1st rounder. The question is, do those physical attributes translate to the basketball court at a similarly high level, or if not, can a team develop him.

That is the challenge for the borderline guys, what teams need to figure out. If a team thinks the answer is yes, he can be an early-to-mid 2nd rounder.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #583 on: May 16, 2023, 08:00:13 PM »

The question a team should ask is “can we keep him upright on the court?”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #584 on: May 16, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »
That is the challenge for the borderline guys, what teams need to figure out. If a team thinks the answer is yes, he can be an early-to-mid 2nd rounder.
He will go higher.
John Thierey (Packers and Bears)….looked like tarzan, played like Jane. We was given more than his fair share of opportunities because he was very fast and very strong. The problem was….he wasn't much of a football player.
There will be plenty if GMs who will be willing to take a shot on OMax due to the athleticism, etc.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #585 on: May 16, 2023, 08:40:00 PM »
He will go higher.
John Thierey (Packers and Bears)….looked like tarzan, played like Jane. We was given more than his fair share of opportunities because he was very fast and very strong. The problem was….he wasn't much of a football player.
There will be plenty if GMs who will be willing to take a shot on OMax due to the athleticism, etc.

But compared to other 6’6” - 6’8” NBA players, he has good, but not elite athleticism.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #586 on: May 16, 2023, 08:48:39 PM »
But compared to other 6’6” - 6’8” NBA players, he has good, but not elite athleticism.

The Combine results suggest he has elite athleticism.

But Combine measurements matter much more in the NFL. If OMax performs well in the scrimmages he’ll jump up. If not he’ll have a difficult decision to make.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #587 on: May 16, 2023, 09:04:30 PM »

The data says otherwise. His combine measurements rank him as the 19th most athletic PF ever. Top 3 rankings in max vert, standing vert, and shuttle run. Top 5 in lane agility.

Those rankings are across all athletes, so elite for a guy that measure almost 6'7" barefoot.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2023-24&dir=A&sort=LANE_AGILITY_TIME

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:53 PM »
Also if you want to see any of the other stats (not officially posted yet). Just add this to the end of the url

?SeasonYear=2023-24

e.g.

normal link:
https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro

Will get you to this years data:

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2023-24

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #589 on: May 16, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »
#BabyHands
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #590 on: May 16, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »
#BabyHands

Maybe that's why he struggled to hold onto the ball at times.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #591 on: May 16, 2023, 09:51:57 PM »
The data says otherwise. His combine measurements rank him as the 19th most athletic PF ever. Top 3 rankings in max vert, standing vert, and shuttle run. Top 5 in lane agility.

Those rankings are across all athletes, so elite for a guy that measure almost 6'7" barefoot.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2023-24&dir=A&sort=LANE_AGILITY_TIME

How does he compare against Small forwards?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #592 on: May 16, 2023, 10:04:52 PM »
How does he compare against Small forwards?

All time, not sure. But in this class, only Terrance Shannon Jr can compare to him in terms of athletics measurements, and Shannon Jr is substantially smaller.

Omax compares well height wise, and is elite in terms of length compared to other PFs in this years draft (3rd largest wingspan).

He'd be the 2nd tallest SF in the combine, and by far the largest wingspan for SFs, while outperforming them in terms of athletic abilities.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #593 on: May 16, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #594 on: May 16, 2023, 10:23:47 PM »
This is going to sound a bit nonsensical, but I wouldn’t be so certain that great combine measurements and a very good showing at the combine would push OMax towards entering the draft.

Why? Well OMax wasn’t on many draft boards before this combine, and now he will catch the eyes of a lot of scouts and make his way into quite a few front office discussions. That said, because he will be making such a “late push,” I would find it hard to imagine him going higher than mid to early 2nd round even in the best case scenario, which it is shaping up to be for him so far.

So, that’s a guaranteed stone cold lock that he goes right?
Well, not necessarily if he’s advised correctly.
Now that OMax is fully on the radar for his elite athletic abilities, all eyes would be on him much more next season.
His athleticism won’t go anywhere, and he would have a chance to shine on an elite NCAA team and show off the plethora of his skills.
If things go well and he continues to improve he could move himself into the mid first round.

Shaka has always believed in Prospers raw talent and athleticism, that’s why he brought him to Marquette. It’s time for OMax to believe in Shaka and his ability to help make him a bonafide first rounder.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #595 on: May 16, 2023, 10:28:25 PM »
Good analysis.
Well, it was passionate and optimistic. I especially like the belief that we’ll have 3 All-Americans next season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #596 on: May 16, 2023, 11:11:21 PM »
All time, not sure. But in this class, only Terrance Shannon Jr can compare to him in terms of athletics measurements, and Shannon Jr is substantially smaller.

Omax compares well height wise, and is elite in terms of length compared to other PFs in this years draft (3rd largest wingspan).

He'd be the 2nd tallest SF in the combine, and by far the largest wingspan for SFs, while outperforming them in terms of athletic abilities.

I’m not sure why you compare him to PFs. He is gonna be a ‘3 and D’ guy.

We know he has the mentality and work ethic to succeed. Does he have the 3 point ability?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #597 on: May 17, 2023, 04:05:06 AM »
This is going to sound a bit nonsensical, but I wouldn’t be so certain that great combine measurements and a very good showing at the combine would push OMax towards entering the draft.

Why? Well OMax wasn’t on many draft boards before this combine, and now he will catch the eyes of a lot of scouts and make his way into quite a few front office discussions. That said, because he will be making such a “late push,” I would find it hard to imagine him going higher than mid to early 2nd round even in the best case scenario, which it is shaping up to be for him so far.

So, that’s a guaranteed stone cold lock that he goes right?
Well, not necessarily if he’s advised correctly.
Now that OMax is fully on the radar for his elite athletic abilities, all eyes would be on him much more next season.
His athleticism won’t go anywhere, and he would have a chance to shine on an elite NCAA team and show off the plethora of his skills.
If things go well and he continues to improve he could move himself into the mid first round.

Shaka has always believed in Prospers raw talent and athleticism, that’s why he brought him to Marquette. It’s time for OMax to believe in Shaka and his ability to help make him a bonafide first rounder.

I think you are being way too optimistic. I think the odds are heavy that he’s gone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #598 on: May 17, 2023, 05:47:39 AM »
I said it when he declared...he gowne, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #599 on: May 17, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »
I said it when he declared...he gowne, aina?
I don't think we every really know what you are saying.