[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86560 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:35 PM »
Get high
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2023, 04:45:39 PM »
I recall all the wailing and gnashing of teeth a year ago when Justin left.  Somehow we managed to win the conference without him or any transfers that got playing time.

I trust Shaka to make it work.

Yep, and the previous off season of all the predictions of scoring in the 50’s. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
TAMU

I agree 100%. We do not need a guy that needs to score a lot of points. We need an athletic big guy that can be disruptive on defense. As I mentioned before, I thought we were a Kur away from being really, really good this past season.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2023, 05:31:42 PM »
TAMU

I agree 100%. We do not need a guy that needs to score a lot of points. We need an athletic big guy that can be disruptive on defense. As I mentioned before, I thought we were a Kur away from being really, really good this past season.

Well, if we can find a Kur who would be willing to play 10 minutes per game.

That's the real problem.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2023, 06:47:52 PM »
Correct.

If Omax is gone we are losing our 2nd best player.

Sorry guys, its going to be very difficult to replace him with anyone on the roster, and I doubt anyone that would be getting a call from the portal would be better than he is.

The mental gymnastics that people go through around here are hilarious.  Omax is a borderline NBA player.  Those dudes don't just fall out of the sky.
I think a lot of it is because people wildly under value defense. AT the end of the season, OMax was taking on opponents' best offensive players and absolutely shutting them down, but if didn't also score 18+ points a lot (not all) of people shrug their shoulders.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2023, 06:57:02 PM »
Brewcity77 thank you for the update on Will Baker. I understand and I agree with you. So he went to LSU. A friend of mine, a Nevada alum told me today, Will couldn't play more than five minutes before he got winded. If you have an open scholarship and a guy that size is willing to come off bench and play for even five minutes it could help the team.  Nix that. I would say it's better to give Gold those minutes. And more minutes.  And I believe Omax is coming back. I would not panic and jump into the portal right now.

panda

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2023, 06:58:24 PM »
I think a lot of it is because people wildly under value defense. AT the end of the season, OMax was taking on opponents' best offensive players and absolutely shutting them down, but if didn't also score 18+ points a lot (not all) of people shrug their shoulders.

Stevie’s height unfortunately limits him in comparison to omax, but he will be a shut down on ball defender next year and better off the ball than prosper.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2023, 09:22:40 PM »
Brewcity77 thank you for the update on Will Baker. I understand and I agree with you. So he went to LSU. A friend of mine, a Nevada alum told me today, Will couldn't play more than five minutes before he got winded. If you have an open scholarship and a guy that size is willing to come off bench and play for even five minutes it could help the team.  Nix that. I would say it's better to give Gold those minutes. And more minutes.  And I believe Omax is coming back. I would not panic and jump into the portal right now.

Let's say you want to give Gold more minutes, let's say O-Max returns, and let's say Baker wants to come to Marquette but there's nobody else in the portal Shaka thinks would be a great fit.

You take Baker.

He'd be an insurance policy if there's an injury, or if Oso and Gold get in foul trouble, or if the opponent likes playing two bigs at once (such as X before Freemantle got hurt).

If O-Max returns and we can get a big who can play a role and doesn't mind playing limited minutes in some games -- a 5-10 minute version of Kuath or Jayce Johnson -- why not fill the 13th scholarship?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2023, 09:47:07 PM »

Agreed.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2023, 10:11:03 PM »

And another "agreed". Well said.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2023, 11:47:33 PM »
Watching OMax this year and projecting his development reminds me a lot of junior year Wes.  Earlier in his MU career, Wes was third fiddle behind Dom and Jerel, and sometimes looked to be moving through cement compared to the dynamicism of the other two. But he had an NBA frame and a ton of hustle and heart, and as he got older and stronger it clicked and he became a great defender and NBA prospect.  Considering that Omax has an extra 3 inches on Wes and averaged an extra 3PA per game last year vs Wes, and shot a higher %, I can see why he would be bullish on his prospects as an NBA wing.

Great comparison.

As for Wes, I recall watching that Great Alaska Shootout when the Amigos were freshman and thinking that Wes was going to be the best of the three. His injury shortly thereafter hindered his development and he never really became the alpha of of the group at MU. But his size, shooting and defense were all better than Jerel and Dom in the long run, translating to a better NBA career.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2023, 07:40:09 AM »

Yep
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2023, 08:50:42 AM »
I recall all the wailing and gnashing of teeth a year ago when Justin left.  Somehow we managed to win the conference without him or any transfers that got playing time.

I trust Shaka to make it work.

I remember 4ever was the leader of this movement and was correct.    Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Aina.  Great minds think alike, Chick.

But Omax seems to fit Shaka’s system better than Lewis and his defense is clearly one of the reasons we beat UConn the eventual national champion twice.  I hope he stays because another uptick in confidence and productivity on the offensive end would be enormous for this team. 

In the end though, you are right, we should all trust Shaka to make it work no matter who leaves.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2023, 08:56:28 AM »
I remember 4ever was the leader of this movement and was correct.    Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Aina.  Great minds think alike, Chick.

But Omax seems to fit Shaka’s system better than Lewis and his defense is clearly one of the reasons we beat UConn the eventual national champion twice.  I hope he stays because another uptick in confidence and productivity on the offensive end would be enormous for this team. 

In the end though, you are right, we should all trust Shaka to make it work no matter who leaves.

Of course. Our COY will figure out what's best. Maybe he'll even turn to Scoop for some ideas. There are a few friendly suggestions for him here from time to time.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2023, 08:59:35 AM »
Of course. Our COY will figure out what's best. Maybe he'll even turn to Scoop for some ideas. There are a few friendly suggestions for him here from time to time.

I doubt Shaka has a 1977 Warriors pennant hanging in his living room
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »
I doubt Shaka has a 1977 Warriors pennant hanging in his living room
if he doesn’t, we need to get him one, hey

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2023, 10:59:33 AM »
So lawdog found the minutes distribution topic.  Of the eight people who made specific guesses three picked him in the top five, three picked him sixth, one seventh and one eighth.

Seems like a lot of people viewed him as jumping a "core player" before he got here.

That's not a precise recounting of my post. Either way, I dont see how anyone could read those results you mentioned above (not to mention a laughable sample size) and think it supports your argument. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
If this question has been answered somewhere, I missed it. Is Omax on campus and attending classes? I'm guessing not. I know that does not necessarily mean that a player has an above average chance of returning. My take on his "farewell address" was that he's definitely not coming back period and has left campus, although a few here believe he will return. Whether he plays in the US or in another country, good luck to him.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2023, 04:21:57 PM »
If this question has been answered somewhere, I missed it. Is Omax on campus and attending classes? I'm guessing not. I know that does not necessarily mean that a player has an above average chance of returning. My take on his "farewell address" was that he's definitely not coming back period and has left campus, although a few here believe he will return. Whether he plays in the US or in another country, good luck to him.

Good question.  If he's stopped going to class entirely, that's a pretty good sign that he gowne.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2023, 05:33:09 PM »
Good question.  If he's stopped going to class entirely, that's a pretty good sign that he gowne.

He stopped going to class entirely?  Who is he, Katin Reinhardt?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2023, 05:34:52 PM »
Nobody has said that.  One poster said 'if'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2023, 05:38:04 PM »
There are all sorts of possibilities to do work remotely. I would read anything into presence on campus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
There are all sorts of possibilities to do work remotely. I would read anything into presence on campus.

Just remember that he would lose his eligibility if he misses class to participate in a tryout (including travel time).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2023, 05:44:56 PM »
Just remember that he would lose his eligibility if he misses class to participate in a tryout (including travel time).

If remote work requires you to log in at a specific time of course.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2023, 05:59:57 AM »

that may work at north carolina, but some classes mandate your a$$ in the chair
don't...don't don't don't don't