[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86509 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2023, 01:44:44 PM »
The team is going to Italy in August. Omax should come back just for that.

Italy, Maui, and then Scottsdale to end the year!?!? Sign me up
Bring back FFP!!!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
I wouldn't call a $508,891 salary "almost nothing".

I don't believe that is an accurate $$$ amount.

Spotrac has non-guaranteed listed. If that is the $$$ amount then great for him!
VIOLENCE!

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2023, 01:49:02 PM »
Both.  There were a couple posts about dropping a bag for a kid from North Dakota State...who has not entered his name into the portal.

Ah, ok.  I thought that was just some posters hoping for Nelson to transfer, didnt know there was legitimate smoke about him transferring to Marquette.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2023, 01:50:03 PM »
Ah, ok.  I thought that was just some posters hoping for Nelson to transfer, didnt know there was legitimate smoke about him transferring to Marquette.

I don't think there is?
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2023, 01:53:39 PM »

I would agree that Joplin improved and that Chase has the ability to improve.  But OMax was the primary defender on Jordan Hawkins in games #2 and #3 v. UConn, and he had two of his worst games of the year.  A likely first round pick!

Joplin doesn't have that ability and I'm not sure Chase is going to improve that much.

What makes you think that about Ross?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »
I don't think there is?

I believe you are the one who initially posted about Nelson, yet he is not in portal, no rumors of his leaving and no MU or any other school mention whatsoever.  Not relevant at this time at all, just a random player in the NCAA basketball arena. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2023, 01:58:27 PM »
Curious how this is enforced?

Hah!  It's only being enforced by JB on scoop.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2023, 02:04:52 PM »
I disagree goose. Better scorer, better rebounder. More chase Ross time for energy. Net positive

Net positive?  No, and that is absolutely not a dig at Ross or Jop. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2023, 02:05:04 PM »
What makes you think that about Ross?

I think he will improve no doubt, but I meant to the OMax level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2023, 02:07:18 PM »

I think he will improve no doubt, but I meant to the OMax level.

Gotcha.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2023, 02:08:03 PM »
I believe you are the one who initially posted about Nelson, yet he is not in portal, no rumors of his leaving and no MU or any other school mention whatsoever.  Not relevant at this time at all, just a random player in the NCAA basketball arena.

I posted a link of the guy because I hadn't seen him before and he looked incredibly talented.

There is no smoke about him leaving to go to Marquette. That was never said.
VIOLENCE!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2023, 02:17:20 PM »
I don't believe that is an accurate $$$ amount.

Spotrac has non-guaranteed listed. If that is the $$$ amount then great for him!

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/2022-23-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html

"The NBA has carried over some rule changes for two-way deals that were first introduced during the 2020/21 season. Rather than being limited to 45 days with their NBA teams, two-way players are eligible to be active for up to 50 of their team’s 82 regular season games. And instead of having their salaries determined by how many days they spend in the NBA, they’ll receive flat salaries of $508,891, half of the rookie minimum."
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2023, 02:19:40 PM »
I posted a link of the guy because I hadn't seen him before and he looked incredibly talented.

I know, but he, as of when you posted had no bearing on any transfer related topic or Omax leaving topic.  Not relevant at all and then posters believed something was going on. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »

I would agree that Joplin improved and that Chase has the ability to improve.  But OMax was the primary defender on Jordan Hawkins in games #2 and #3 v. UConn, and he had two of his worst games of the year.  A likely first round pick!

Joplin doesn't have that ability and I'm not sure Chase is going to improve that much.

Agree - there will be a drop off initially defensively but think as the season goes on, we will be as good if not better as a unit. We’ll see more Ben Gold/Oso lineups when opponents personnel permits and Jop/Ross both have very high ceilings. Jop showed a ton of improvement already last year.

Offensively we’ll be far more dangerous in the half court. Jop on the floor will force opponents to guard him on the permitwr, something they didn’t do last season against omax. More driving/passing lanes for Tyler and will make our high post back cut action even more lethal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2023, 02:34:28 PM »

So why not shoot for Victor Wemanyama to replace OMax while we're at it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
Agree - there will be a drop off initially defensively but think as the season goes on, we will be as good if not better as a unit. We’ll see more Ben Gold/Oso lineups when opponents personnel permits and Jop/Ross both have very high ceilings. Jop showed a ton of improvement already last year.

Offensively we’ll be far more dangerous in the half court. Jop on the floor will force opponents to guard him on the permitwr, something they didn’t do last season against omax. More driving/passing lanes for Tyler and will make our high post back cut action even more lethal.

Didn't realize he was such a liability. I guess Shaka should have just cut him then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2023, 02:37:31 PM »
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/2022-23-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html

"The NBA has carried over some rule changes for two-way deals that were first introduced during the 2020/21 season. Rather than being limited to 45 days with their NBA teams, two-way players are eligible to be active for up to 50 of their team’s 82 regular season games. And instead of having their salaries determined by how many days they spend in the NBA, they’ll receive flat salaries of $508,891, half of the rookie minimum."

But he wasn't signed to the two-way contract until early March. He isn't earning the full $508k.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2023, 02:43:00 PM »
But he wasn't signed to the two-way contract until early March. He isn't earning the full $508k.

He’d already signed an initial two-way after the draft. They released him after the injury — I’d imagine he received an injury settlement for the full value of the contract, but maybe I’m extrapolating too much NFL knowledge.

EDIT: yeah, those contracts are guaranteed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 02:45:42 PM by Tyler COLEk »

panda

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
Didn't realize he was such a liability. I guess Shaka should have just cut him then.

I’m just looking at how our roster dynamic changes with him possibly not returning. Similar to Justin leaving two years ago, I do think it will be a net positive given the multitude of options available.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2023, 02:47:57 PM »
I'm certainly not the biggest OMax fan here, but people are way underrating him if they think his departure is a net positive or that Chase or Joplin can replace him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2023, 02:50:48 PM »
He’d already signed an initial two-way after the draft. They released him after the injury — I’d imagine he received an injury settlement for the full value of the contract, but maybe I’m extrapolating too much NFL knowledge.

EDIT: yeah, those contracts are guaranteed.

Thank you for reminding me that he had already signed. With regards to a contract guarantee, do you think he would have had to take a reduced buy out since the injury occurred during a "private work out?"

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2023, 02:51:11 PM »
I’m just looking at how our roster dynamic changes with him possibly not returning. Similar to Justin leaving two years ago, I do think it will be a net positive given the multitude of options available.
We’re a better team next year with Omax than without him as our roster currently stands. I don’t think that’s even debatable. That said I trust Shaka has a move he’ll make and hopefully it’s an upgrade
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Folks comparing the future potential of players against the value that a player had last year understand that they're not making an apples to apples comparison right?  If you're going to account for potential jumps that Chase or Jop may make, you also have to consider improvements that OMax may make.  We would 100% be a better team next year if OMax withdrawals from the draft.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2023, 02:53:36 PM »
wades

I am a big Omax fan and I agree with you. In addition, if replaced by Chase or Joplin it takes one less option off the bench. Aside from his defense, he also had some size. If he is not replaced, my expectations for next year drop quite a bit. I do not believe that Shaka would roll the dice on not replacing him, but time will tell.

panda

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2023, 02:56:44 PM »
wades

I am a big Omax fan and I agree with you. In addition, if replaced by Chase or Joplin it takes one less option off the bench. Aside from his defense, he also had some size. If he is not replaced, my expectations for next year drop quite a bit. I do not believe that Shaka would roll the dice on not replacing him, but time will tell.

I think Shaka goes after a back up center for oso. Allows BG flexibility to play in a more perimeter oriented role on the offensive end.