[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023-2024 Expectations  (Read 44745 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2023-2024 Expectations
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »
This season, I wanted a sing NCAAT win above all us. Was tired of hearing about MU and Shaka's combined drought.

In a normal season, I prioritize regular season performance over March...up until the Final Four. Final Four and beyond trumps all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2023, 04:54:38 PM »
He should have known better than about anyone. Marquette was on the threshold of Final Four several times before breaking through in 1974.

We had really great teams that never quite got there until Maurice Lucas and company got us there!

The way the NCAA tournament was structured for most of McGuire’s time at MU, his comment made sense. There was no seeding and the 25 teams were placed in regions based on geography. As an independent, MU was placed in the Mideast Regional (except in 1970 when Al famously rejected an invitation to play in the Midwest Region which I think was set to be played in Texas). 

In the first round they would play the champion of the MAC or OVC, and those were usually easy wins. That would put them into the regional where the champions of the Big 10 and SEC were placed for their first tournament games. So, to make the Final Four, MU would likely have to beat the winners of the Big 10 and SEC (usually Kentucky) to get out of the region.

That was generally a tougher path than the other regions, especially the West and Midwest which had fewer strong teams. Of course, from 1964 to 1975 UCLA cruised to the Final Four out of the west every year but one and claimed the title every year but two. The tournament format changed in 1975 when the field was expanded to 32 teams and conference runner ups were eligible for at large bids.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2023, 04:56:55 PM »
I chose this hypothetical because it is basically Creighton’s season without the “crapshoot” bonus they got by facing a 15 seed in the third round instead of a 2 seed.

I’ve heard many people here say they would rather have the Sweet 16, but when I think of the some of the fun moments of the last season, Imwoukdnt want to trade them for being alive in the NCAA tournament for 5 more days before suffering a disappointing season ending loss. The extra two days of advancing to the Elite 8 doesn’t get me there either.

When I look back at the 2023 season I’ll remember some great moments, including several games that I was able to attend in person. They include:

1. The early season 1 point win at Villanova. A loss there would have made MU 2-2 in the BE and the loss at Xavier would have put them at 4-3 in the conference and 3 games out of first place. The 5 game winning streak that followed might have sparked hooes, but the loss at UConn would have put MU in a much tougher position going into the home stretch.

2. Take away OMax’s last second put back, and one of the most thrilling wins of the season would instead have been a demoralizing defeat that all but eliminated them from title contention.

3. A loss at Creighton would have been another disappointing result instead of a second straight great win that put MU in the driver’s seat for the title. The last 3 games would have been pretty anticlimactic instead of 3 games that in succession clinched a tie for the title, clinched the outright title, and allowed the team to cut down the nets and celebrate the tilte in front of the home fans.

4. The BET tournament wins over UConn and Xavier were two of the more memorable moments in recent MU history.

Some people would apparently trade all of those moments for a few extra days of being alive in the NCAA tournament before having the season come to a disappointing end. I wouldn’t. Maybe doing those things a second time will be less enjoyable unless they are followed by a longer run in the NCAA tournament. But, I think it would take awhile before regular season and BET titles get to be old hat.
even though the season ended on a bummer, I think we all needed a season like this (Big East and Big East tourney champs, conference POY and both conference and national COY, not to mention a ncaa 2-seed!) because we’ve had 10-years of frustration…per MU standards. Next year, I’d trade a conference or conference tourney title for an Elite 8…which I do think we’ll achieve. btw, I feel more pride in the conference title just because it’s an achievement over 4 months and not 4 days. But, winning both is awesome!!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »
Hard not to get antsy reading these preseason Top 25s.

2) MARQUETTE GOLDEN EAGLES

As it stands, Marquette is the safest bet to be a top-5 team entering the 2023-24 season. Shaka Smart’s Golden Eagles are fresh off a breakout year that resulted in 29 wins and a 2-seed in the tournament and are positioned to return the entire squad. Point guard Tyler Kolek will look to defend his Big East Player of the Year award while running mates Kam Jones, Oso Ighodaro and Olivier-Maxence Prosper are poised for leaps as well in one of the country’s best offensive attacks. Although Marquette is supremely talented, Golden Eagles players aren’t commonly found on many NBA Draft big boards at the time of this writing. Barring any unexpected departures, Marquette will be one of the highest-ranked teams come November.

https://twitter.com/brauf33/status/1641894797060329492?t=r1F-MJ98E-y-wvu9EVw68A&s=19
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2023, 05:26:50 PM »
Hard not to get antsy reading these preseason Top 25s.

2) MARQUETTE GOLDEN EAGLES

As it stands, Marquette is the safest bet to be a top-5 team entering the 2023-24 season. Shaka Smart’s Golden Eagles are fresh off a breakout year that resulted in 29 wins and a 2-seed in the tournament and are positioned to return the entire squad. Point guard Tyler Kolek will look to defend his Big East Player of the Year award while running mates Kam Jones, Oso Ighodaro and Olivier-Maxence Prosper are poised for leaps as well in one of the country’s best offensive attacks. Although Marquette is supremely talented, Golden Eagles players aren’t commonly found on many NBA Draft big boards at the time of this writing. Barring any unexpected departures, Marquette will be one of the highest-ranked teams come November.

https://twitter.com/brauf33/status/1641894797060329492?t=r1F-MJ98E-y-wvu9EVw68A&s=19

The last time MU was Way Too Early number 2 the Hausers left like 3 days later. Given that Shaka told us only most of our minute getters will be back, I’d expect to hear Oso and OMax are gone on Monday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2023, 05:34:42 PM »
The last time MU was Way Too Early number 2 the Hausers left like 3 days later. Given that Shaka told us only most of our minute getters will be back, I’d expect to hear Oso and OMax are gone on Monday.

Good thing this team has a lot of pieces and easy access to replace those guys if that is the case.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2023, 11:36:58 PM »
I've already posted my goals and expectations for next season, taking into account the uncertainty of not knowing what the rosters for MU and other conference teams will be.

But, I'm going to pose a slightly different question about whether expectations for next season, and feelings about this season, would be affected if this season had gone a little differently.

Let's say, that MU had gone 14-6 in the BE, losing close games to Villanova, Xavier, and Creighton. That gave them a 3 seed in the BET where they lost in the semifinal and earned a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament. In the NCAA, they won the first two games, including a second round win over a number 3 seed, before losing in the third round to the region's number 2 seed.

The 2 questions:

1. Would you be happier with that season because of advancing to the Sweet 16?

2. Would your expectations for next season be the same as they are now?

1. I'd have been very happy with either.

2. Either way, my expectations would be that we'd be very good in 2023-24.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2023, 12:03:34 AM »
I chose this hypothetical because it is basically Creighton’s season without the “crapshoot” bonus they got by facing a 15 seed in the third round instead of a 2 seed.

I’ve heard many people here say they would rather have the Sweet 16, but when I think of the some of the fun moments of the last season, Imwoukdnt want to trade them for being alive in the NCAA tournament for 5 more days before suffering a disappointing season ending loss. The extra two days of advancing to the Elite 8 doesn’t get me there either.

When I look back at the 2023 season I’ll remember some great moments, including several games that I was able to attend in person. They include:

1. The early season 1 point win at Villanova. A loss there would have made MU 2-2 in the BE and the loss at Xavier would have put them at 4-3 in the conference and 3 games out of first place. The 5 game winning streak that followed might have sparked hooes, but the loss at UConn would have put MU in a much tougher position going into the home stretch.

2. Take away OMax’s last second put back, and one of the most thrilling wins of the season would instead have been a demoralizing defeat that all but eliminated them from title contention.

3. A loss at Creighton would have been another disappointing result instead of a second straight great win that put MU in the driver’s seat for the title. The last 3 games would have been pretty anticlimactic instead of 3 games that in succession clinched a tie for the title, clinched the outright title, and allowed the team to cut down the nets and celebrate the tilte in front of the home fans.

4. The BET tournament wins over UConn and Xavier were two of the more memorable moments in recent MU history.

Some people would apparently trade all of those moments for a few extra days of being alive in the NCAA tournament before having the season come to a disappointing end. I wouldn’t. Maybe doing those things a second time will be less enjoyable unless they are followed by a longer run in the NCAA tournament. But, I think it would take awhile before regular season and BET titles get to be old hat.

well stated, great memories from this season!!!   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2023, 05:10:25 AM »

Well said. I wouldn't trade this season. Too many awesome moments, too many "is this real" type pinch yourself moments. This team was awesome, this season was awesome, this is why we watch the sport.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2023, 05:26:30 AM »
Win it all. Period.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2023, 06:36:32 AM »

That’s why is so great that no one can be described at Markus.  Tyler likes to and knows how to pass.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2023, 08:57:12 AM »
Anything less than a national championship on the back of an aircraft carrier next year, and Shaka gets a nickname from me that he won’t like
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
Anything less than a national championship on the back of an aircraft carrier next year, and Shaka gets a nickname from me that he won’t like

You are merciless! Shaka is shaking in fear.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »
You are merciless! Shaka is shaking in fear.

I’ve been workshopping some names but I’m not ready to share them (Shaka Can’t 🤔).  If he doesn’t get an aircraft carrier in the portal, I’ll ramp up my efforts
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
I’ve been workshopping some names but I’m not ready to share them (Shaka Can’t 🤔).  If he doesn’t get an aircraft carrier in the portal, I’ll ramp up my efforts

OK. But you and I are good, right Rico?

Right, Rico?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2023, 09:35:45 AM »

I legit was imagining a game on an aircraft carrier and Shaka wiping the floor.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »

That’s why is so great that no one can be described at Markus.  Tyler likes to and knows how to pass.
Markus steal your girlfriend?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2023, 09:44:09 AM »
OK. But you and I are good, right Rico?

Right, Rico?

Not if you don’t help get an aircraft carrier

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2023, 09:46:06 AM »
Not if you don’t help get an aircraft carrier

I'm on it. Getting one, not actually on one.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2023, 10:56:38 AM »

Spit out my coffee.  That is really funny.  You are merciless. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2023, 04:08:58 PM »
Folks, I agree that the Final Four is well worth celebrating.

bilsu, a Moser guy, said: " ... in the end it does not matter much, if you lose in before the final four."

So I just wondered why he thought even the Final Four mattered if you don't win the title.
You get a lot of recognition, if you make the final four.
How many teams who lost in last year's Elite 8 do you remember?
How many teams can you remember the year before last year?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2023, 05:26:29 PM »
You get a lot of recognition, if you make the final four.
How many teams who lost in last year's Elite 8 do you remember?
How many teams can you remember the year before last year?
Many of us here cant remember what we had for breakfast

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2023, 05:45:09 PM »

I can remember my last four meals but nothing from 5-8 meals ago.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »

I can't remember that I can't remember.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
The Sporting News per Mike DeCourcy has identified 3 consistent characteristics of Final 4 teams over the past 30 years:

1. A first round NBA draft pick
2. A center taller than 6’7” (Michigan State ‘79 is the last champ with a 6’7” center.)
3. Finishing in the top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. (This stat has only existed for the past 20 years.).

We may have guys that make the jump into 1st round territory next year; offense was already top-10 ranked, but defense needs to jump significantly (they were in 40s).

feedback