[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence in Freefall....  (Read 11694 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Providence in Freefall....
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2023, 09:03:14 PM »
https://www.abc6.com/providence-college-student-athlete-facing-gun-domestic-assault-charges/

Ruh roh

Hope he wasn’t trying to Breed illegally, that’s an entirely separate charge.

The court system spells it out in plain English that you can’t do that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2023, 09:41:19 PM »
I am bullish on English Enterprises .

Retaining Hopkins and Carter , plus the addition of All A 10 Oduro and other another promising recruit, Fernandez.  from George Mason is a very good foundation .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2023, 10:05:05 PM »
I am bullish on English Enterprises .

Retaining Hopkins and Carter , plus the addition of All A 10 Oduro and other another promising recruit, Fernandez.  from George Mason is a very good foundation .

I’m not.
Hopkins and Carter is an amazing start, but a patch job for a year 1 that will have some powerhouse opponents in UConn, Marquette, Creighton.

After that, I can see him being in trouble long term.
Not that I don’t think he’s a capable head coach, more so that I just think he will be vastly overmatched.

Smart, Miller, Hurley, McDermott, Pitino, Cooley. That’s an elite top 6.

Holloway, English, Matta, Neptune, Stubblefield. Good luck against those top 6.

Sure, it’ll take a bit of time for Cooley and maybe a year or two for Pitino, but I expect Ricks impact to be quick because mother time will make him rush and reach compared to Ed.

Notice my top 6- I listed them in order of my expected BE success going forward.
Shaka gets the nod via COY this season, but imo there is a clear top 3 with Shaka, Miller, and Hurley. McDermott will always be in play, including this upcoming season.
Ed and Pitino have to prove it but they will show their brass barring unexpected circumstances.

That then leaves the others. This is a pretty extreme take but I don’t expect Neptune to make it more than 2 more seasons, same with Stubblefield. They will try, but competition is too tough. Matta is a complete wildcard- this season made him look cooked but he’s got the chops to figure something out and make himself relevant again, he’s just an unknown.
English I think will have a decent season this year with the holdovers (NCAA bid, lower seed), but I think he runs into tough sledding after that. No science to that thought, just instinct.
Holloway I am probably way higher on than most- I think he has a great career at SH and makes it a long successful tenure. Defense travels, and he has and will continue to coach it successfully.

At the end of the day if I had to handicap I’d say Coaches Smart, Miller, and Hurley are the cream of the crop in the BE for years to come, order unknown at this point.
Hurley is working on a big leg up right now

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2023, 11:12:23 PM »
Someone start a poll for coaches success over the next 5 years, since I don’t know how.

Takes 5 years to judge

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2023, 06:07:53 AM »
I’m not.

Me neither. Hopkins and Carter are nice, but by and large it's those two and the backups to a team that barely made the tournament. Maybe they're a bubble team again, but if bubble is the best they could do with Bynum, Croswell, and Locke, why would we expect better from the guys who couldn't take their minutes?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2023, 08:04:55 AM »
... but I expect Ricks impact to be quick because mother time will make him rush and reach...
This has been Rick's problem wherever he's coached, hey!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2023, 08:33:14 AM »
kim english has a little history with marquette...

As a freshman, English worked his way into the starting lineup, starting 13 out of 16 Big 12 games.[2] In the second round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, with Missouri tied 79–79 with Marquette, English came off the bench to replace an injured J.T. Tiller and hit two free throws to give Missouri an 81–79 lead en route to an 83–79 victory.[4]

scratching my head on the hire however-anyone have any insight? ties to providence except he's from baltimore and went to notre dame prep(fitchberg, mass)  2 full seasons with head coaching experience 34-29

is dusty may untouchable? or is there going to be a bigger program calling?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2023, 08:36:27 AM »
kim english has a little history with marquette...

As a freshman, English worked his way into the starting lineup, starting 13 out of 16 Big 12 games.[2] In the second round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, with Missouri tied 79–79 with Marquette, English came off the bench to replace an injured J.T. Tiller and hit two free throws to give Missouri an 81–79 lead en route to an 83–79 victory.[4]

scratching my head on the hire however-anyone have any insight? ties to providence except he's from baltimore and went to notre dame prep(fitchberg, mass)  2 full seasons with head coaching experience 34-29

Why would Dusty May leave a team that just went to the Final 4 that has all its starters scheduled to be back next year to go to Providence?  Why would he go to a league he has never coached in when the majority of his experience is in the south/southeast and his alma mater is Indiana?

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2023, 08:54:30 AM »
Why would Dusty May leave a team that just went to the Final 4 that has all its starters scheduled to be back next year to go to Providence?  Why would he go to a league he has never coached in when the majority of his experience is in the south/southeast and his alma mater is Indiana?

why would ed cooley leave a program he has built for 12 years with a 242-153 record, hero status and essentially keys to the city to a huge rival right up the road pissing off quite a few million people?

going to a league he has never coached in? what does that have to do with anything? oh, they must play b-ball with a football down there in south/southeast?  i am pretty sure many up in providence have heard of dusty by now and quite frankly, would probably soothe some of the open, oozing wounds left by the departure of eddy

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2023, 08:57:54 AM »

Hiring Final Four coaches is really difficult because by the time their season ends, you are 3 weeks into the portal. Unless you know who you are getting (Shaheen Holloway to SHU) it's not as common for people to go directly off that big run. I imagine May will be a hot commodity in the years to come, but in the past we've seen guys like Jim Larranaga, Shaka Smart, and Porter Moser stay at their jobs for a few years beyond that initial Final Four run before moving on.

As far as why English, sounds like the new Providence AD read a 75-word capsule about him in Sports Illustrated and decided that was karma so he hired him. There's some talk that English has the right personality and people really like him. Seems like his strength is probably recruiting, and some of the talk around him was that Providence probably wouldn't be able to get him in 5 years so might as well get him now.

Personally, I think that's incorrect. The Three Man Weave guys follow Mizzou closely (English's alma mater) and they are not high on him, basically indicating he's charismatic but doesn't have much substance as a coach. His on-court results showed improvement in terms of record, but decline in terms of efficiency with most of the same team back. I don't think he's a very good coach. Maybe he'll develop into one, but if I were ranking the Big East coaches 1-11 he would be 11 and I'm not sure it's particularly close now that Ewing is gone.

I think Matt Langel at Colgate would've been a much better and more substantial hire, but English was the guy who would win the press conference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2023, 08:59:08 AM »
Carter and Hopkins have already transferred once.  The NCAA sent out a notice that players transferring a 2nd time will likely have to sit out a year.  Grad transfers wouldn't, but all others would be subject to a strict waiver process.  And coaching changes do not meet the threshold to qualify for a waiver, as the notice explicitly stated.

So that made it a lot easier for English to retain Carter and Hopkins.  How English recruits will determine the rest of the roster quality.  So far, I haven't been impressed with his roster additions.

As others have mentioned, the league has a strong group of coaches at the top.  English definitely has his work cut out for him.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2023, 09:05:49 AM »
https://www.abc6.com/providence-college-student-athlete-facing-gun-domestic-assault-charges/

Ruh roh

First PC had a player's brother who was on probation walking onto the court. Now, if convicted (and with maybe eligibility left after completing his sentence), maybe we will see a convicted player on the court.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2023, 09:07:09 AM »
why would ed cooley leave a program he has built for 12 years with a 242-153 record, hero status and essentially keys to the city to a huge rival right up the road pissing off quite a few million people?

going to a league he has never coached in? what does that have to do with anything? oh, they must play b-ball with a football down there in south/southeast?  i am pretty sure many up in providence have heard of dusty by now and quite frankly, would probably soothe some of the open, oozing wounds left by the departure of eddy

Because Georgetown has a higher ceiling

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2023, 09:09:35 AM »
Hiring Final Four coaches is really difficult because by the time their season ends, you are 3 weeks into the portal. Unless you know who you are getting (Shaheen Holloway to SHU) it's not as common for people to go directly off that big run. I imagine May will be a hot commodity in the years to come, but in the past we've seen guys like Jim Larranaga, Shaka Smart, and Porter Moser stay at their jobs for a few years beyond that initial Final Four run before moving on.

As far as why English, sounds like the new Providence AD read a 75-word capsule about him in Sports Illustrated and decided that was karma so he hired him. There's some talk that English has the right personality and people really like him. Seems like his strength is probably recruiting, and some of the talk around him was that Providence probably wouldn't be able to get him in 5 years so might as well get him now.

Personally, I think that's incorrect. The Three Man Weave guys follow Mizzou closely (English's alma mater) and they are not high on him, basically indicating he's charismatic but doesn't have much substance as a coach. His on-court results showed improvement in terms of record, but decline in terms of efficiency with most of the same team back. I don't think he's a very good coach. Maybe he'll develop into one, but if I were ranking the Big East coaches 1-11 he would be 11 and I'm not sure it's particularly close now that Ewing is gone.

I think Matt Langel at Colgate would've been a much better and more substantial hire, but English was the guy who would win the press conference.

all good stuff here brew, but me thinks if (big IF) dusty may were to come over to providence post season, it would turn quite a few heads and catch the attention of some pretty good players wanting to play for the guy coming off an eye opening season despite it being late in the portal

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2023, 09:10:29 AM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »
Candidate to transfer to Alabama where he’ll be welcomed with open “arms”?

Buzz would take him at A&M

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2023, 10:09:14 AM »

Rocket:
It is alleged that Cooley had some extra marital Hanky Panky going on . Had to get out of town . G Town a nice landing spot with good coin .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2023, 10:25:37 AM »
Rocket:
It is alleged that Cooley had some extra marital Hanky Panky going on . Had to get out of town . G Town a nice landing spot with good coin .

that's funny...well not for his present wife, but not really a place to get into witness protection.  his present wife is probably all for the extra money part of the deal.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2023, 11:38:08 AM »

Didn't think this through did you.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2023, 12:12:35 PM »
Didn't think this through did you.

sully?  that you sully?  only kidding ( i think) about that badger fan thingy

yes i did think it thru harda$$, but as with many message boards, an exchange of thoughts and ideas are always nice conversation.  it usually brings up things maybe other people are privy to for example.

i know in your world however, you already know everything and you were just itching to get a jab in and another post # to your resume.  unfortunately most of them are horse hockey anyway, but carry on buddy

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »

I don’t know if Kim English will do well or not at Providence. Time will tell over the next several years.

Then how do you explain Brian Wardle? You advocated for Marquette to hire him even though his efficiency numbers worsened from the year prior, and had done so multiple times in that 4 year stretch. It took him 3 seasons to get to 124 KenPom, and then it went to 161, 107, and 146 at the time.

“I would be on board with Wardle now.”

“No one realistic will have a markedly better resume.”

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 01:09:52 PM by shoothoops »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2023, 01:14:02 PM »
Where’s Ziggy

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2023, 01:54:36 PM »
  sully?  that you sully?  only kidding ( i think) about that badger fan thingy

yes i did think it thru harda$$, but as with many message boards, an exchange of thoughts and ideas are always nice conversation.  it usually brings up things maybe other people are privy to for example.

i know in your world however, you already know everything and you were just itching to get a jab in and another post # to your resume.  unfortunately most of them are horse hockey anyway, but carry on buddy
You could have just said "no, I didn't think this through"

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2023, 10:58:03 AM »

feedback