'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Providence in Freefall....  (Read 11431 times)

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
Providence in Freefall....
« on: March 21, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »
The Friar board is saying some extra-curricula activities compelling the Cooley's quick exit.  PC admin letting it roll given the issues, they say. Bynum now in the portal.  At least one commit wants to be released. Providence picked Cooley because he was a local guy and he signed an extension last September. They now have to face two former coaches (Pitino and Cooley) at least 4 times a year.  They are hoping for Billy Donovan to go back to college ranks. They are looking at a half decade (at least) pivot back to competitiveness.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Providence in Freefall....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 04:24:22 PM »
Lol man I thought that fanbase was delusional before.  They really think Billy Donovan is going to coach Providence?  If he really wants to chase 14-18 year old kids around and beg them to play for him, then pay them money that PC doesn't have, he'll probably be doing it for Texas or a program a bit better than Providence.  Providence can get a decent coach.  They cannot get a coach like Billy Donovan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:35:12 PM »
The Friar board is saying some extra-curricula activities compelling the Cooley's quick exit.  PC admin letting it roll given the issues, they say. Bynum now in the portal.  At least one commit wants to be released. Providence picked Cooley because he was a local guy and he signed an extension last September. They now have to face two former coaches (Pitino and Cooley) at least 4 times a year.  They are hoping for Billy Donovan to go back to college ranks. They are looking at a half decade (at least) pivot back to competitiveness.
What do you consider competitive and why do you assume it'll take over 5 years?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:41:20 PM »

Shaka did it in 2 years, so any other coach would need 5.

Losing Bynum is a plus for PC. Only Curbelo at SJ was a better player for their team's opponent.

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 04:45:51 PM »
Lol man I thought that fanbase was delusional before.  They really think Billy Donovan is going to coach Providence?  If he really wants to chase 14-18 year old kids around and beg them to play for him, then pay them money that PC doesn't have, he'll probably be doing it for Texas or a program a bit better than Providence.  Providence can get a decent coach.  They cannot get a coach like Billy Donovan.

They say Donovan wants out of the NBA and was a PC grad... just reporting what they are saying.

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 04:47:20 PM »

I am just curating what is being said on the PC board... I have no clue about the goings east of Federal Hill...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 04:48:55 PM »
Outside of Shaka leaving MU in the next month, there is nothing that would surprise me in college basketball. Would say PC landing Billy is a longshot, it would not shock me. It is the wild west and everything is in play, imo.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 04:51:44 PM »
Shaka did it in 2 years, so any other coach would need 5.

Losing Bynum is a plus for PC. Only Curbelo at SJ was a better player for their team's opponent.

I mean...Shaka really did it in 1.

Marquette was an 8 seed last year that was ranked in the Top25 for like half of Shaka's 1st season.
VIOLENCE!

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 04:54:03 PM »
I mean...Shaka really did it in 1.

Marquette was an 8 seed last year that was ranked in the Top25 for like half of Shaka's 1st season.

Shaka's success is two standard deviations from the mean... why he is a COY candidate... PC could be in for a few years of rebuilding... Guessing Kolek is really happy PC said we already have enough guards, kid.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 04:58:20 PM »
Outside of Shaka leaving MU in the next month, there is nothing that would surprise me in college basketball. Would say PC landing Billy is a longshot, it would not shock me. It is the wild west and everything is in play, imo.

Lot of money in Texas, not just Austin
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
Did he kill anyone at an AutoZone?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 05:09:00 PM »
Rico

There is a lot of money everywhere today and I think it is going to going to be a spending free at a high level. Even in keeping coaches and players. I am looking forward to all of the action.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Billy Donovan was over the NBA, the Bulls experiment isn’t going great and I’d imagine Artūras Karnisovas wouldn’t be too devastated if they amicably parted ways.

Might be a good way for Donovan to save face and head back home to coach his alma mater for the twilight of his coaching career, if he’s looking to make a move to that area and wants to be in the northeast.

Would seem like a huge surprise hire to everyone, but why not if they can splurge and make him happy financially?

It would be another awesome step forward for the conference, so I’m all for it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 05:41:07 PM »
Billy Donovan is walking away from $6+ million a year in the NBA (on a recently extended contract) to spend his summers at AAU tournaments and Friday nights in high school gyms?
Interesting.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 05:42:15 PM »
Billy Donovan is walking away from $6+ million a year in the NBA (on a recently extended contract) to spend his summers at AAU tournaments and Friday nights in high school gyms?
Interesting.

Probably not this year but if the right job opens, *coughs kentucky*, I can see it

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 05:45:34 PM »
I mean, I would probably be happy Cooley left as a providence fan if I got Donovan to replace him. And if I were a Georgetown fan I'd be jealous I only got Cooley when stj and prov got multiple national championship winning coaches.

But yeah being a tenured respected NBA coach (Not one of those guys who get to coach like charlotte or sacramento for 3 years then vanish) is likely a better gig than providence, so I don't think it would happen.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 05:49:26 PM »
Probably not this year but if the right job opens, *coughs kentucky*, I can see it

Kentucky pays more than the Bulls. Providence does not.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 05:52:23 PM »
Kentucky pays more than the Bulls. Providence does not.

Correct.  Providence will not be hiring Billy Donovan

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 05:52:41 PM »
Interesting.

Exactly.

Not to mention, even if that’s his dream, he could let just about any athletic director in the country know he wants their job and that job would open up for him. There are maybe 5 schools in the country that wouldn’t cut their coach to bring in Billy Donovan. Alum or not, I can’t see any way Billy is coaching at Providence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
Exactly.

Not to mention, even if that’s his dream, he could let just about any athletic director in the country know he wants their job and that job would open up for him. There are maybe 5 schools in the country that wouldn’t cut their coach to bring in Billy Donovan. Alum or not, I can’t see any way Billy is coaching at Providence.

Just in the big east I dont think us, X, Creighton, STJ, or Georgetown would. Uconn might not either. That's before we get to the likes of Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, etc. But the point being he could more or less pick a job remains, however.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 06:32:52 PM »
Did he kill anyone at an AutoZone?

Bo blew that dumping ground.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
I feel bad for Providence.  But free country and free market.
Hope we can hang on to Shaka.  It would be a gut punch if like Shaka jumped to Wisky.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 07:05:32 PM »
I feel bad for Providence.  But free country and free market.
Hope we can hang on to Shaka.  It would be a gut punch if like Shaka jumped to Wisky.

They're a football school. Shaka has already gone through this.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 07:23:46 PM »
Zero chance of Donovan. He's going to stay in the NBA, or go to a major job if he comes back. If he ever goes to a job like Providence, it will be Pitino style in 15 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 07:24:58 PM »
Providence may be in a freefall, but we might not be too far away from a Villanova last place finish.  It is possible.
VIOLENCE!

feedback