Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence in Freefall....  (Read 11548 times)

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
Re: Providence in Freefall....
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 07:25:40 PM »
The Friar board is saying some extra-curricula activities compelling the Cooley's quick exit.  PC admin letting it roll given the issues, they say. Bynum now in the portal.  At least one commit wants to be released. Providence picked Cooley because he was a local guy and he signed an extension last September. They now have to face two former coaches (Pitino and Cooley) at least 4 times a year.  They are hoping for Billy Donovan to go back to college ranks. They are looking at a half decade (at least) pivot back to competitiveness.
What type of activities?

panda

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2023, 07:29:09 PM »

TrojanWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 08:13:05 PM »
What type of activities?

Alleged indiscretions of Cooley. Not the first time by what the some on the board say. Feel sorry for the players, they seemed to like playing for him.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2023, 08:32:58 PM »
I'm positive Bulls fans will help Billy move his stuff. Maybe kick in for the relocation. Possible help pay in his first year salary at PC.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 08:53:16 PM »
The NBA pays you more to work 8 months a year

The NCAA pays you less to work 13 months a year
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2023, 06:06:04 AM »
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Billy Donovan was over the NBA, the Bulls experiment isn’t going great and I’d imagine Artūras Karnisovas wouldn’t be too devastated if they amicably parted ways.

Might be a good way for Donovan to save face and head back home to coach his alma mater for the twilight of his coaching career, if he’s looking to make a move to that area and wants to be in the northeast.

Would seem like a huge surprise hire to everyone, but why not if they can splurge and make him happy financially?

It would be another awesome step forward for the conference, so I’m all for it.

He's 57.  He could easily coach another 15-20 years.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2023, 06:08:12 AM »
Kim English, btw

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2023, 06:14:29 AM »
Kim English, btw

Things seems to be going that way.  I hope he gets a bit of a leash there.  Going to be a tough gig for a few seasons with momentum at UConn and seemingly GTown now.  Couple that with Pitino at St. John’s and the Dence starting over
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2023, 06:54:09 AM »
He has one sweet sixteen in 12 years. Sorry but that’s not that great. If Shaka has one sweet sixteen after 12 years we’d be calling for his head. Thankfully I think he’ll have plenty but people acting like Cooley is Phil Jackson
Bring back FFP!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2023, 07:13:02 AM »
He has one sweet sixteen in 12 years. Sorry but that’s not that great. If Shaka has one sweet sixteen after 12 years we’d be calling for his head. Thankfully I think he’ll have plenty but people acting like Cooley is Phil Jackson

He’s also had more success than any other Providence coach.  He hasn’t been to a Final Four but the sustained winning of his tenure hasn’t been something they’ve had in the modern era.

I’m always torn on him.  I think he’s done great work at Providence but you’re right, they haven’t taken a next step. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2023, 07:22:33 AM »
He’s also had more success than any other Providence coach.  He hasn’t been to a Final Four but the sustained winning of his tenure hasn’t been something they’ve had in the modern era.

I’m always torn on him.  I think he’s done great work at Providence but you’re right, they haven’t taken a next step.

Personally, I always thought that where he got them was basically their ceiling.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2023, 07:44:45 AM »
Personally, I always thought that where he got them was basically their ceiling.

You could be right. There’s a lot of competition in their neck of the woods and they had this stretch with a clueless St. John’s and UConn debacle with Ollie and the AAC.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2023, 08:55:24 AM »
Kim English might end up doing well, but that would he an uninspiring hire.  Two mediocre years at George Mason.  His assistant track record is 2 years at Tulsa, 2 at Colorado, and 2 at Tennessee.  Always climbing the ladder but not sticking around very long.

That track record looks very risky.  He either fizzles out at Providence or moves on to a better job in 4-5 years.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 08:55:53 AM »
Kim English might end up doing well, but that would he an uninspiring hire.  Two mediocre years at George Mason.  His assistant track record is 2 years at Tulsa, 2 at Colorado, and 2 at Tennessee.  Always climbing the ladder but not sticking around very long.

That track record looks very risky.  He either fizzles out at Providence or moves on to a better job in 4-5 years.

Keno Davis?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2023, 09:11:55 AM »
Keno Davis?

Keno Davis would be a good example of fizzling out.

Rick Barnes would be a good example of parlaying modest success into a new job.  3 NCAA appearances in 6 years, zero tourney wins, left Providence for Clemson.

While researching Barnes' history, I discovered that he coached one year at George Mason before being hired at Providence.  So, not only did Kim English coach 2 years under Barnes, he might mimic Barnes going to George Mason for a brief stay and then to Providence.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2023, 09:15:57 AM »
Quote from: Juan Anderson's Mixtape link=topic=64675.msg1539266#msg1539266 date=
Keno Davis would be a good example of fizzling out.

Rick Barnes would be a good example of parlaying modest success into a new job.  3 NCAA appearances in 6 years, zero tourney wins, left Providence for Clemson.

While researching Barnes' history, I discovered that he coached one year at George Mason before being hired at Providence.  So, not only did Kim English coach 2 years under Barnes, he might mimic Barnes going to George Mason for a brief stay and then to Providence.

Scoop favorite Pete Gillen also did a stint at Providence. 

Interestingly, he left Xavier to take the job--I think today it would be more likely that a move in the opposite direction would be the career upgrade.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2023, 09:21:31 AM »
Scoop favorite Pete Gillen also did a stint at Providence. 

Interestingly, he left Xavier to take the job--I think today it would be more likely that a move in the opposite direction would be the career upgrade.

I think X was still in the MCC when he took the job

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2023, 09:30:58 AM »
There's a long-seen contrast between Providence and UConn: both are never good for long at the same time. When PC was up in the 1970s and mid 1980s, UConn was generally down. The years of UConn's dominance came at a period when PC was not doing well.

The Huskies are back in the Big East and are ascendant. PC could easily be the next Butler without an impact coaching hire.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »

I view Cooley's track record and move to GU as very comparable to Willard and his move to Maryland. I don't remember everyone getting so worked up about the Willard hire though. I guess it's different given the Cooley's roots and the intra-conference move.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »
I view Cooley's track record and move to GU as very comparable to Willard and his move to Maryland. I don't remember everyone getting so worked up about the Willard hire though. I guess it's different given the Cooley's roots and the intra-conference move.

That shouldn't be a guess.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2023, 09:57:56 AM »

Of course it's the fact that he moved to a conference rival.  But not only that, it appears this was in the works while the team was both struggling down the stretch and trying to win games both in the BET and NCAA Tournament.  Their fans have every right to loathe him. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:17 AM »
Of course it's the fact that he moved to a conference rival.  But not only that, it appears this was in the works while the team was both struggling down the stretch and trying to win games both in the BET and NCAA Tournament.  Their fans have every right to loathe him.

Agree. No problem at all with a coach moving to another team (wish he went to a different conference), but I think Cooley knew perfectly well that Georgetown would come calling.

A 50-something SH fan behind me at the BET said that he heard about the impending hire and that was why, he opined, that the PC team was beaten so badly. I thought "this is just BS speculation". I doubt that he had inside info. It was not on the web yet, but obviously (20/20 hindsight) the news was out.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2023, 10:37:01 AM »
"worked up" was a poor choice of words given all the drama with Cooley. I meant that I don't remember everyone considering the Willard hire to be a homerun hire the way the Cooley hire at GU is and I think they have similar track records and moving to similar caliber of jobs, but understandable given the position GU is in and desperately needing a shot of life into that program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »

???

That’s what young coaches do. They get experience at different places and move up the ladder.

Some dude named Shaka Smart was an assistant coach at FOUR different places within TEN years, before being hired as HC at VCU.

Shaka as an assistant:

California (PA) 2 years.
Akron 3 years.
Clemson 2 years.
Florida 1 year.