Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 166371 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #1200 on: May 12, 2023, 03:00:59 PM »
TAMU

Agree 100%. They were a Kur away from being really, really good last year. If no Omax or suitable replacement, my expectations fall a great deal for next season.

They were really really good last year as is.

Maybe if they would've played Oso more than Kur, they would've been better in 2021-2022.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1201 on: May 12, 2023, 03:02:55 PM »
Brew—-do you still think OMax returns to MU next year?

I'm less optimistic than I was when he declared. Initially, I thought it was 80/20 he comes back, now I'm closer to 45/55. Getting the direct combine invite makes it less likely he returns, but I don't think it's as dire as the percentages of people that declared and didn't return last year. Many of those were first round locks, so that slants the number.

A few things.

1. While Jopling improved defensively from last season to this season. I really don't know if he "improved" as the season went on, or if he just had some great defensive games against horrible offenses in the middle of the big east season. Seton Hall, Depaul, and Butler mostly. In postseason play he was BAD defensively. No blocks, no steals. Poor on off defense. On was 107.7 ppp, off was 87.7 ppp. I hope he improves next season, I just doubt he will have a second jump in him.

2. I personally wasn't ever worried about "defensive regression last year". Oso and Stevie were genuinely the two best defensive players for marquette both seasons. Kur sold out for blocks too often. Morsell took the hardest matchups and carried too much of the offense for us, so it was hard for him to show how good of defenisve player he was.  One good source is  Evanmiya.com, both their DBPR's were the two highest each season.  This year, I am worried because our most versatile defensive player is likely being replaced by Joplin who isn't the best defender. When Joplin was on the court last year, he gave up loads of threes.

He are some OMax defensive stats.
- MU Opponents were 3-for-26 (11.5 percent) on 3-pointers when OMax contested their jumper
and
- MU Opponents shot merely 17-for-71 (23.9 percent) on all possessions when OMax was credited as the nearest defender

3. As for those two national champions. Each school of these had 5 starters who defended better than Joplin did this year. He still can improve, but it will require a new level of defending from him.

I just think the first and second best offense and the 28th-30th best defense will make us the 5th or 6th best team. And while you can win a title like that. It won't be a thought in my mind for this team without Omax.

Those numbers, no matter what any site says, simply aren't accurate. Andrei from Paint Touches was manually tracking that 3P stat and O-Max had way more than 26 threes defended. That's less than 1 per game. And he was nearest defender less than 2 times per game? I don't know how they're calculating that, but there's simply no way those numbers are correct.

I think it will take creativity, good coaching, and another transfer forward could help, I'm just not ready to give up on a quality defense because of one player just yet. And while Jop likely has a lower defensive ceiling, I think Gold, Ross, & others could have notably higher defensive ceilings than they've shown.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1202 on: May 12, 2023, 03:03:42 PM »
Yep, not sure how Kur would have been the missing ingredient. Would he have been the difference maker to beat MSU? Because before that game, we had an almost perfect season.
I think in the MSU game specifically. As for issues in that game.

1. Kolek was banged up, and stunk on offense (probably the most important thing.)

2. Joplin and Ross weren't ready and had bad offensive games, probably nerves. Sean Jones too, but that was all last season, i just don't know what to expect from him, I hope his wrist injury was a hampering him and he is all good now.

3. While oso a tiny bit poor defensively. And struggled with Mady Sissoko, and Joey Hauser who got too many calls honestly.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: May 12, 2023, 03:05:26 PM »
Kur set the tone multiple games during the great run two years ago. No way they have that run without Kur, IMO. Guys like Kur can tilt the game in very subtle ways.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1204 on: May 12, 2023, 03:06:52 PM »
I just hope it’s not a white guy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: May 12, 2023, 03:09:06 PM »
lawdog

I would be willing to bet that MU signs a Kur like portal guy in the next few weeks. Only issues, you would dispute how "Kur like" he actually was or he only played 19 minutes a game or he was left-handed or he wore low top basketball shoes and the list would never end.
Bringing in a Kur like player isn't really replacing an O-Max now, is it? If this player is Kur-like, he's definitely not taking 20 minutes from Oso.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1206 on: May 12, 2023, 03:11:51 PM »
I'm less optimistic than I was when he declared. Initially, I thought it was 80/20 he comes back, now I'm closer to 45/55. Getting the direct combine invite makes it less likely he returns, but I don't think it's as dire as the percentages of people that declared and didn't return last year. Many of those were first round locks, so that slants the number.

Those numbers, no matter what any site says, simply aren't accurate. Andrei from Paint Touches was manually tracking that 3P stat and O-Max had way more than 26 threes defended. That's less than 1 per game. And he was nearest defender less than 2 times per game? I don't know how they're calculating that, but there's simply no way those numbers are correct.

I think it will take creativity, good coaching, and another transfer forward could help, I'm just not ready to give up on a quality defense because of one player just yet. And while Jop likely has a lower defensive ceiling, I think Gold, Ross, & others could have notably higher defensive ceilings than they've shown.
Blame. statsperform. and this for the win article. This was where i got them from.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/04/nba-draft-olivier-maxence-prosper-sleeper-marquette and another article that was on this site.

I don't know how they do calculations either.

If i have to guess where we finish. It would just be like 4th offensively, 40th defensively, and like 10th overall. Until a I see some high level defense from either Joplin or Gold.

I think Gold is the key for the season without OMax personally.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: May 12, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
lawdog

They do not need to replace Omax on the offense but do on defense. I assumed everyone that watches the team knew there was a potential hole on defense that needed to be filled.

No kidding no one is taking 20mpg from Oso. They will be filling the nearly 30 minutes that left when Omax declared.

Enjoy the offseason.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1208 on: May 12, 2023, 03:18:41 PM »
lawdog

They do not need to replace Omax on the offense but do on defense. I assumed everyone that watches the team knew there was a potential hole on defense that needed to be filled.

No kidding no one is taking 20mpg from Oso. They will be filling the nearly 30 minutes that left when Omax declared.

Enjoy the offseason.
You too! I'll let you have the last word.No need to beat this dead horse any more.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: May 12, 2023, 03:18:47 PM »
OMax… 10th worst true high major dr% among guys 6’8” or taller and playing at least 40% mins… out of 159

#muMbb
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1210 on: May 12, 2023, 03:26:59 PM »
OMax… 10th worst true high major dr% among guys 6’8” or taller and playing at least 40% mins… out of 159

#muMbb

Contextually, that makes sense.

Probably had the highest percentage of minutes guarding guards of any player over 6'8" last year.

He took Morsell's role from the year before. The hardest defensive assignments on the team, at the risk of hurting his own  defensive Box scores.

The same thing might happen to Stevie next year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1211 on: May 12, 2023, 04:15:00 PM »
Blame. statsperform. and this for the win article. This was where i got them from.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/04/nba-draft-olivier-maxence-prosper-sleeper-marquette and another article that was on this site.

I don't know how they do calculations either.

If i have to guess where we finish. It would just be like 4th offensively, 40th defensively, and like 10th overall. Until a I see some high level defense from either Joplin or Gold.

I think Gold is the key for the season without OMax personally.

I saw that too and really wonder about their methodology. It sounds impressive, and maybe the percentages are right, but I find those attempts defended totals just implausible for a guy that played 29 mpg and frequently took on opponents' best offensive wings.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: May 12, 2023, 05:17:07 PM »
TAMU

Agree 100%. They were a Kur away from being really, really good last year. If no Omax or suitable replacement, my expectations fall a great deal for next season.
I do not see a big fall in my expectations, if Omax does not comeback. Unless you consider top 5 vs top 10 a big fall. I expect us to be top 10 either way.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: May 12, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »
bilsu

I hope are correct.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: May 12, 2023, 05:41:39 PM »
Having Amadou as our 4th big (Oso, Gold, Joplin)  scares the hell out of me.  MU dodged injuries during the season for the.most part.   I am skeptical about that luck continuing.

I want a big.   And I can foresee Oso playing a role similar to Omax last season in spurts.   He has the footwork and intelligence.   Just needs a jumper.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: May 12, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
Having Amadou as our 4th big (Oso, Gold, Joplin)  scares the hell out of me.  MU dodged injuries during the season for the.most part.   I am skeptical about that luck continuing.

I want a big.   And I can foresee Oso playing a role similar to Omax last season in spurts.   He has the footwork and intelligence.   Just needs a jumper.

Not only did we dodge injuries but we dodged foul trouble. We need another big in a bad way.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: May 12, 2023, 05:52:24 PM »
tower and panda

I agree completely. That I is why I have been saying that one will be landed if Shaka is all in on next season or not. Going into next season with Oso and Gold being the only proven, of somewhat proven in Gold’s case, would be a major gamble. It would be a bigger gamble if they are a preseason top ten team, imo.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:55:16 PM by Goose »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: May 12, 2023, 06:13:09 PM »
I just hope it’s not a white guy

Ya kant sey dat heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: May 12, 2023, 07:16:49 PM »
Man, I hope OMax returns so we dont have conversations about how dedicated Shaka really is……..

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: May 12, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
Final Four

I am not questioning how dedicated Shaka is by any stretch. I find it funny that most on here have underestimated the trajectory of the program and now believe they will be top ten without a key member.

Truth be told, I would have zero problem if Shaka did not sign someone if he felt using it next year was best for the program.

You are not going to find a bigger Shaka backer than me and I am good regardless of what he does. If he replaces Omax, my excitement for next year rises. Excitement for the next five years could not be higher for me.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: May 12, 2023, 07:48:47 PM »
Final Four

I am not questioning how dedicated Shaka is by any stretch. I find it funny that most on here have underestimated the trajectory of the program and now believe they will be top ten without a key member.

Truth be told, I would have zero problem if Shaka did not sign someone if he felt using it next year was best for the program.

You are not going to find a bigger Shaka backer than me and I am good regardless of what he does. If he replaces Omax, my excitement for next year rises. Excitement for the next five years could not be higher for me.
Goose—I agree. It is a great time to be a
#MUMBB fan. So great to talk about top ten etc. so soon. It will be a fun season and can’t wait!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1221 on: May 12, 2023, 09:56:16 PM »
Everything except this last sentance. Kur was kinda average defensively. He got plenty of blocks adding to his defensive box score. BUT

His on court team adjusted defensive rating was 97.7. The third worst on the team only Elliot and Kam Jones were worse.

In 2021. With Kur Kuath on the court. Marquette's defense allowed 102.1 ppp/100, the 86th adjusted defense.

In 2021. With Oso on the Court. Marquette defense allowed 96.0 ppp/100, the 22nd adjusted defense.

https://hoop-explorer.com/OnOffAnalyzer?autoOffQuery=false&baseQuery=&calcRapm=true&gender=Men&maxRank=400&minRank=0&offQuery=%22Ighodaro%2C%20Oso%22%20&onQuery=%22Kuath%2C%20Kur%22%20&showGrades=rank%3ACombo&team=Marquette&year=2021%2F22&

For one, I'd say that I didn't mean Kur literally, I meant a Kur type player. For another, I'd say that defensive value is very difficult to quantify accurately. I think there is great value to having two different styles of defensive bigs to switch between.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1222 on: May 12, 2023, 10:03:35 PM »
Yep, not sure how Kur would have been the missing ingredient. Would he have been the difference maker to beat MSU? Because before that game, we had an almost perfect season.

Considering that our biggest problem in that game was our inability to stop MSU from scoring at the rim, I think an elite shot blocker may have actually been a huge help in that game. Enough to change the outcome? I don't know. A player like that also could have resulted in winning a couple more close games (Purdue, MSST, Wisconsin, @PROV, @X) so maybe we end up with a 1 seed instead.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: May 12, 2023, 11:58:52 PM »
Considering that our biggest problem in that game was our inability to stop MSU from scoring at the rim, I think an elite shot blocker may have actually been a huge help in that game. Enough to change the outcome? I don't know. A player like that also could have resulted in winning a couple more close games (Purdue, MSST, Wisconsin, @PROV, @X) so maybe we end up with a 1 seed instead.

Our problem against Michigan State was that the BEPOY & BETMOP was MIA.  Kolek playing at that standard would have made all of the difference.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1224 on: May 13, 2023, 12:50:31 AM »
Our problem against Michigan State was that the BEPOY & BETMOP was MIA.  Kolek playing at that standard would have made all of the difference.

Michigan State shot 22/38 (57.9%) inside the arc. For context, if a defense allowed that as their average over the course of season, they would ranked 361st (out of 363) in 2P% defense.

Safe to say there was more than one problem that game.
TAMU