[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 166393 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #1225 on: May 13, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »
Contextually, that makes sense.

Probably had the highest percentage of minutes guarding guards of any player over 6'8" last year.

He took Morsell's role from the year before. The hardest defensive assignments on the team, at the risk of hurting his own  defensive Box scores.

The same thing might happen to Stevie next year.
One of the problems I had with Omax was even after securing a rebound he turn it over to often. Maybe, I just did not value him enough, but I do not see us playing Gold and Joplin more, because Omax does not comeback as a big loss.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: May 13, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
Michigan State shot 22/38 (57.9%) inside the arc. For context, if a defense allowed that as their average over the course of season, they would ranked 361st (out of 363) in 2P% defense.
MU very vulnerable to bully ball with larger guards and forwards driving to  rack.  MSU did it as did STJ.  That's why a defensive center pickup to spell OSO would sure have been nice.   Losing OMAX with expose this even more.  Not Good.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #1227 on: May 13, 2023, 11:05:34 AM »
Having Amadou as our 4th big (Oso, Gold, Joplin)  scares the hell out of me.  MU dodged injuries during the season for the.most part.   I am skeptical about that luck continuing.

I want a big.   And I can foresee Oso playing a role similar to Omax last season in spurts.   He has the footwork and intelligence.   Just needs a jumper.

Concerned about a 4th big - man the program has progressed so much.  I take everything thing tower says seriously of course, one of the posters I look to when reading these boards but I differ here.  We have enough bigs imho to compete for championship this year. I base that on the prediction that Chase Ross makes huge jump. His ceiling is super high and combo with Gold and Joplin, team together for 2nd/3rd year our defense will be better than last year, same with offense..

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: May 13, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »
Michigan State shot 22/38 (57.9%) inside the arc. For context, if a defense allowed that as their average over the course of season, they would ranked 361st (out of 363) in 2P% defense.

Safe to say there was more than one problem that game.

Good thing our offense shot 58.4% inside the arc for the ENTIRE SEASON.

Our inside the arc shoot contesting wasn't the best. 185th for the season. But this years defense still improved on last years. Which is nuts.

Just flat out WON by turnover generation and offensive capabilities.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: May 13, 2023, 11:34:40 AM »
Good thing our offense shot 58.4% inside the arc for the ENTIRE SEASON.

Our inside the arc shoot contesting wasn't the best. 185th for the season. But this years defense still improved on last years. Which is nuts.

#FakeNews #Lies

58.4% is FALSE!

Second point is debatable… what is true is that we gave up more points per possession this season compared to the previous year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: May 13, 2023, 11:41:14 AM »
#FakeNews #Lies

58.4% is FALSE!

Second point is debatable… what is true is that we gave up more points per possession this season compared to the previous year.

Marquette's offense, shot 58.2% on 2pFGA on the season. (I looked at KP, and saw the 4th ranking)

We gave up more PPP this season compared to last, but it was tougher schedule this year. And the D1 offensive efficiency jumped from 102.9 to 104.8 this year. (that's kinda nuts.)

panda

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: May 13, 2023, 11:43:19 AM »
I looked at KP

Aka indisputable fact

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: May 13, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
Aka indisputable fact

my guy doesn't like numbers because he loves aj storr with his whole heart.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: May 13, 2023, 12:18:32 PM »
Concerned about a 4th big - man the program has progressed so much.  I take everything thing tower says seriously of course, one of the posters I look to when reading these boards but I differ here.  We have enough bigs imho to compete for championship this year. I base that on the prediction that Chase Ross makes huge jump. His ceiling is super high and combo with Gold and Joplin, team together for 2nd/3rd year our defense will be better than last year, same with offense..
Thanks.  If you guarantee that Oso, Ben, and Joplin stay healthy for 35 games, then I think there is enough size.   I am skeptical that MU gets through a second season relatively injury free.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: May 13, 2023, 12:33:02 PM »
my guy doesn't like numbers because he loves aj storr with his whole heart.

No I respect posters who can interpret data and convey a message which incorporates their strong knowledge of X’s and O’s.

Regurgitating data from websites without any further interpretation takes zero knowledge/skill. Literally anyone can do that. Love him or hate him, JB can look at data and factor in on court analysis, developing conclusions from all of the available information.

You just have internet access with a Kenpom password. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: May 13, 2023, 12:44:27 PM »
tower

I think we need more size regardless if another healthy season. Too much potentially at stake to roll the dice, imo. I say that because we had a real chance to go deep into March last year and next year could be another very good opportunity.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: May 13, 2023, 12:44:51 PM »
No I respect posters who can interpret data and convey a message which incorporates their strong knowledge of X’s and O’s.

Regurgitating data from websites without any further interpretation takes zero knowledge/skill. Literally anyone can do that. Love him or hate him, JB can look at data and factor in on court analysis, developing conclusions from all of the available information.

There was no analysis. It’s a simple statistic. If you have reason to believe it’s not correct, please share.

Have you and JayBee considered starting a spinoff Scoop? Please consider it, I’m sure it would be a success.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: May 13, 2023, 12:57:35 PM »
There was no analysis. It’s a simple statistic. If you have reason to believe it’s not correct, please share.

Have you and JayBee considered starting a spinoff Scoop? Please consider it, I’m sure it would be a success.

❄️❄️❄️

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: May 13, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »

I do both.... numbers is just easier...

Also... being against using 2pt FG%, is perhaps the dumbest stat to be against.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: May 13, 2023, 01:43:12 PM »
I do both....

I’ll take your word for it. Just like the totally reasonable claim from Kim Jong about his -38 golf round.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: May 13, 2023, 01:50:30 PM »

I’ll take your word for it. Just like the totally reasonable claim from Kim Jong about his -38 golf round.

Genius.... scroll back to when someone else brings up a stat about Omax rebounding poorly for his height. I talk about how his defensive matchups are frequently guards. Literally did it in this thread.

If you can't think about stats and X and Os at the same time.... you just arn't trying to learn about your team or sports in general.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: May 13, 2023, 03:19:33 PM »
Genius.... scroll back to when someone else brings up a stat about Omax rebounding poorly for his height. I talk about how his defensive matchups are frequently guards. Literally did it in this thread.

If you can't think about stats and X and Os at the same time.... you just arn't trying to learn about your team or sports in general.

If he was a good rebounder, he’d grab more rebounds. Those aren’t marginal numbers. He’s not great.

Some of that had to do with his tendency to leak out in trans but most of it has to do with the fact he doesn’t have a desire to rebound.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: May 13, 2023, 03:33:39 PM »
tower

I think we need more size regardless if another healthy season. Too much potentially at stake to roll the dice, imo. I say that because we had a real chance to go deep into March last year and next year could be another very good opportunity.

Agreed.  Would be nice to maximize this team’s potential.  Adding another big for defense and rebounding would be nice.  Will be fun regardless but there is a window next year that is open to potentially win it all. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: May 13, 2023, 04:42:12 PM »
If he was a good rebounder, he’d grab more rebounds. Those aren’t marginal numbers. He’s not great.

Some of that had to do with his tendency to leak out in trans but most of it has to do with the fact he doesn’t have a desire to rebound.
someone likes those rebounding stats. you stathead.

all kidding aside. I don't think OMax is a "great" rebounder. But, I also don't think OMax is an horrendous rebounder, like that stat indicated. He's pretty average at rebounding. He guarded guards a lot, and he leaked out a lot.

Marquette's X's and O's defensively was predicated on generating turnovers. And our bigs switched a ton. Both OMax and Oso forwards would probably be a slightly better rebounders in a different defensive structure.

Additionally, one reason as to why reason's Joplin is a decent rebounder is because he doesn't always stay with his guy. He gets lost on his guy more often than our other defenders. He'll miss a switch from time to time. Thus, as a result defensive positioning on his man, when he is lost, you see him more inclined to go for boards. He makes himself useful in this way.

But i only look at stats and post them, so i can't have observations like this

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: May 13, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »
On OMax, I think it's worthwhile to point out that he's been in the same ballpark each year when it comes to DR%. 13.1% as a true frosh, 13.5% in year 1 with #muMbb, and 12.2% this past season. The OR% has bounced around. If he comes back to #muMbb, I think a big challenge for him is to boost those rebounding numbers. We could use it.

Jop really elevated last year. A weak 9.5% as a frosh, up to 15.3% last season, including 16.8% in conf play.  Really nice and I hope he can keep things there going forward.

Obviously our D rebounding was bad news last year.. OMax leaving probably* doesn't hurt us much.. but.. I don't know how we get to be even 'ok' at def rebounding this coming year. I think it's something that still holds the defense back.

Kolek (12.6%), Kam (13.5%)... and Jop.. I don't think you can ask anything more from - maybe it's just a hope they repeat or come close to it.  Can Oso improve on 15.8%? Maybe not much, but I think he can improve on his 13.8% in conference play.

Big question mark is Gold. If he's getting more minutes, what does his DR% look like? He had an almost unthinkably low 7.7% a year ago. I do think he's capable of at least matching OMax's percentage...

But.. unless we bring in a rebounder who gets minutes... gonna be not great next season... no matta what OMax does

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: May 13, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »
someone likes those rebounding stats. you stathead.

all kidding aside. I don't think OMax is a "great" rebounder. But, I also don't think OMax is an horrendous rebounder, like that stat indicated. He's pretty average at rebounding. He guarded guards a lot, and he leaked out a lot.

Marquette's X's and O's defensively was predicated on generating turnovers. And our bigs switched a ton. Both OMax and Oso forwards would probably be a slightly better rebounders in a different defensive structure.

Additionally, one reason as to why reason's Joplin is a decent rebounder is because he doesn't always stay with his guy. He gets lost on his guy more often than our other defenders. He'll miss a switch from time to time. Thus, as a result defensive positioning on his man, when he is lost, you see him more inclined to go for boards. He makes himself useful in this way.

But i only look at stats and post them, so i can't have observations like this

If omax is a decent rebounder, the numbers would reflect it.

There’s grasping for straws and then there’s that explanation for omax’s poor rebounding numbers 😂😂

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: May 13, 2023, 07:08:10 PM »
On OMax, I think it's worthwhile to point out that he's been in the same ballpark each year when it comes to DR%. 13.1% as a true frosh, 13.5% in year 1 with #muMbb, and 12.2% this past season. The OR% has bounced around. If he comes back to #muMbb, I think a big challenge for him is to boost those rebounding numbers. We could use it.

Jop really elevated last year. A weak 9.5% as a frosh, up to 15.3% last season, including 16.8% in conf play.  Really nice and I hope he can keep things there going forward.

Obviously our D rebounding was bad news last year.. OMax leaving probably* doesn't hurt us much.. but.. I don't know how we get to be even 'ok' at def rebounding this coming year. I think it's something that still holds the defense back.

Kolek (12.6%), Kam (13.5%)... and Jop.. I don't think you can ask anything more from - maybe it's just a hope they repeat or come close to it.  Can Oso improve on 15.8%? Maybe not much, but I think he can improve on his 13.8% in conference play.

Big question mark is Gold. If he's getting more minutes, what does his DR% look like? He had an almost unthinkably low 7.7% a year ago. I do think he's capable of at least matching OMax's percentage...

But.. unless we bring in a rebounder who gets minutes... gonna be not great next season... no matta what OMax does

I think that’s fair. I will say Omax has only really played 108 minutes in a different defensive system at Clemson. And 13.5 was still the third best in 2021. The guards really didn’t rebound that year.

Oso definitely is taught to to box out his guy above all else before getting the ball. He definitely leave boards for others often.

I have no clue what to think of Ben Golds rebounding. It’s better than we saw. But it’s a question of how much. He won’t just get major run against Clignan like he did last year.

I do think that the staff believes TO’s are just flat out more important than boards, and I do agree with that premise. But we could still get better by 1-2 percent as a team.

I’m more troubled our ineffectiveness in contesting shots last year.

They can rebound however they want next year as long as they close out better and   force their opponents to miss 3% more shots. That’s where the improvement should be made to me.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: May 13, 2023, 07:09:12 PM »
If omax is a decent rebounder, the numbers would reflect it.

There’s grasping for straws and then there’s that explanation for omax’s poor rebounding numbers 😂😂

Statistician panda over here 😂

panda

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: May 13, 2023, 07:28:50 PM »
Statistician panda over here 😂

I only pay attention to important stats like RAPM and MUNCHON.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1249 on: May 13, 2023, 08:13:38 PM »
Could Jop’s jump be because he spent a lot of time guarding the post?  And could OMax’s deficiency be because he was oftentimes on the perimeter?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow