'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 16707 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2023, 10:28:24 AM »
So did all the objective observers who followed Purdue, AZ and Virginia. All the Purdue pundits had no words. FDU just played a better game. That is all we can expect tomorrow, that MU play the better game.
I agree with what you are saying but would you bet on Purdue, AZ and Virginia losing a rematch in those games? I'm confident 'objective observers', like Vegas, would favor all three in a rematch.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2023, 10:31:43 AM »
Warrior69

I have no problem with someone having a different opinion on the game tomorrow and can understand their thought process. IMO, I think MU is a much better basketball team and should win the game with relative ease. I agree in the tournament anything can happen, but my guess Texas fans probably think they should beat Penn State with relative ease today.

If MU wins tomorrow, I definitely will be far more cautious on my feelings on the next game. MU is not a fluke a #2 seed and their body of work is much better than MSU's. IMO, there is some extra concern for some fans because of MSU's program body of work, a HOF coach and the Joey connection.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »
Is there any college player who was alive the last time the Big 10 won a national championship?
That 26 year old from Memphis.   Seriously, it was 2000.  A whole lot of 5th year guys.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:42:23 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »
My daughter is a college senior and she was born in Fall of 2000, so plain old 4 year guys too

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2023, 10:44:28 AM »
That 26 year old from Memphis.   Seriously, it was 2001.  A whole lot of 5th year guys..
True but I'm confident no college player can say they remember the B10 winning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2023, 10:47:22 AM »
More accurate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2023, 10:56:19 AM »
My daughter is a college senior and she was born in Fall of 2000, so plain old 4 year guys too
I'm sure your right, but, like your daughter, very few 4 year player were born yet.

Bigger picture is that this can even be a discussion about the "greatest conference" ever. We are very close to a whole generation not seeing the B10 win a championship.
       "The Pew Research Center defines generations as groups of people born within the same 15-20 year span"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2023, 11:06:48 AM »
Exactly. I recognize some fans dont have the al era experience and can only draw from what they know. Sustained success will change minds over time. For me I am ready for MU to be prominent again as it once was. I may not have your level of swag, but not far behind. For the record I would not be disappointed if MU lost the next game. I am convinced the program is on the right track.

Harry we call it COLE and it is usually espoused by a Mope. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2023, 11:12:39 AM »
hairy

I am big picture guy in regard to the program and I love where is the program is headed. I would be disappointed if they lost tomorrow, but would it not change my big picture view one bit. Let's hope they keep winning to keep a dream season going another week and hopefully give some fans more confidence.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2023, 11:22:12 AM »
Lived in Lansing 2019-2022...lots of MSU  fan friends.  They think they're going to smoke us.  Maybe bravado, maybe Izzo-derangement, maybe they really think that (some are pretty astute bball fans).

But whatever, they are wrong. I'll try not to rub it in come 6:45 CT :)

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
Of course, I said as much. Thats not the point. The point is how you can look at both of these teams, before the game, not in hindsight, and say it will take an "unreal" effort for MU to win. Come on.

I agree that’s an inferiority complex type of statement but others seem to be dismissing MSU almost entirely.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »
...but you said MU should win this game comfortably and some of us just have a different view of that. I for one think no tournament game is comfortable until the time runs out and we have more points than our opponent.

I didn’t say any of that, I just joined the conversation on this subject.  Looks like you’re confusing me with Hairy Worthen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 11:26:35 AM by statnik »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »
I agree that’s an inferiority complex type of statement but others seem to be dismissing MSU almost entirely.
No cant dismiss anyone. Ask Purdue.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2023, 11:36:16 AM »
I’m probably in the minority here, but I thought Kolek’s off game seemed more mental than physical.  Obviously, playing in pain throws off your whole game but he seemed to let things get to him and effect his play negatively.  Up to this point in the season, he’s always channeled those things into increasing his concentration and in turn his level of play, but it seemed the opposite happened yesterday. That said, because of that interpretation, I’m more encouraged that yesterday will be a singular off game than the start of a bad streak.

Completely agree. I was shocked by his mentality and body language. I’m sure it was not getting any love from the refs on his drives and the knock to the thumb. He is a stone cold gamer, but he showed some vulnerability yesterday. However, we have seen this before, and it brings great teams together.

Edit: We were sitting about ten rows up from the bench, so I was watching him on the bench, too. Uncharacteristic Kolek, but he will get back on track.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 11:37:48 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2023, 11:38:42 AM »
I think MSU is a good team.   I think UConn, Creighton, Xavier are good teams.   I respect them all.   I think MU's best beats Sparty's best.   I think Sparty's best beats MU's 85%.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2023, 11:44:26 AM »
Lived in Lansing 2019-2022...lots of MSU  fan friends.  They think they're going to smoke us.  Maybe bravado, maybe Izzo-derangement, maybe they really think that (some are pretty astute bball fans).

But whatever, they are wrong. I'll try not to rub it in come 6:45 CT :)
After moving out  of Big 10 country 25 years ago, I can tell you the rest of the country views Big 10 fans as delusional and out of touch of the reality of their place in college sports. I'm not saying the rest of the country thinks the Big 10 is a mid-major, unlike Big 10 fans view of every other conference, but a solid conference that can compete at a high level but not the best in any sport.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2023, 11:46:51 AM »
I think MSU is a good team.   I think UConn, Creighton, Xavier are good teams.   I respect them all.   I think MU's best beats Sparty's best.   I think Sparty's best beats MU's 85%.
I think that is fair. Objectively, MSU would be the 6th best team in the BE, right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2023, 11:49:01 AM »
I'm very confident that Marquette will win. I'm an optimist. I understand that others have tended to fear the worst about this team; it's probably a defense mechanism -- if I expect too much, I could get burned, as I've been burned in the past. We've had plenty of Scoopers express worry about DePaul, Georgetown, Butler, Vermont, Radford, Georgia Tech, etc. It's OK. Just different personalities and perhaps being afraid to totally buy into this team.

The better team doesn't always win in the NCAA tournament, which is one reason it's a special event. But Marquette IS better than Michigan State, and based on all I've seen of each team's body of work -- not to mention me being a Marquette fan -- I think we will win, probably by double digits.

Just eight days ago, seemingly the majority of Scoopers thought we'd lose to UConn. We didn't. And UConn's a lot better than Sparty.

But sure, our guys have to play well and Shaka has to coach well. And I'm confident they will.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2023, 11:49:10 AM »
Most regions view conferences in other regions as out of touch and delusional.

Like the Pac 12 losing UCLA and USC to the...
Or Nebraska.
Or UDPride
Or that chucklehead from St. Bonaventure.
Or that the Big 12 and Pac 12 haven't merged yet.
Or the ACC trying  to hang on.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2023, 11:53:13 AM »
My only worry tomorrow os Kolek's injury and his ability to play his game. If Kolek can be 90% I have no doubt we win.
Goal is National Championship

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »
Completely agree. I was shocked by his mentality and body language. I’m sure it was not getting any love from the refs on his drives and the knock to the thumb. He is a stone cold gamer, but he showed some vulnerability yesterday. However, we have seen this before, and it brings great teams together.

Edit: We were sitting about ten rows up from the bench, so I was watching him on the bench, too. Uncharacteristic Kolek, but he will get back on track.

I’m expecting a really good game from Tyler on Sunday.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:05 PM »
I think that is fair. Objectively, MSU would be the 6th best team in the BE, right?

They’re better than Providence and very close to Xavier without Fremantle, they’d be in a battle for 4th with Xavier given the rosters as they are now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2023, 12:00:49 PM »
Most regions view conferences in other regions as out of touch and delusional.

Like the Pac 12 losing UCLA and USC to the...
Or Nebraska.
Or UDPride
Or that chucklehead from St. Bonaventure.
Or that the Big 12 and Pac 12 haven't merged yet.
Or the ACC trying  to hang on.

Sure. But your geographic friendliness aside, fans of a team that lost 5 of 10 going into the tourney, including 3 to non tourney teams, and has a thoroughly middling season, thinking they will “smoke” a top 10 team that just won a major conference and it’s tournament….is a special sort of arrogance and hubris.

MSU fans thinking they have a shot?  Sure.  That’s not unreasonable.  Thinking they will smoke MU or that MU is overrated is just B10 homer BS that we see from UW, U of I, Michigan, etc… fans all the time

tower912

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2023, 12:04:22 PM »
Of course it is.  But fans aren't rational.  Wolverine and Badger fans thought their teams just needed one more win to get in.
You can't take that stuff personally.

It is just smack, trash, and supporting their team.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:10:01 PM by tower912 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »
They’re gonna shoot Kolek up with the good stuff on Sunday
Thumb transplant. Good to go.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback