[Today at 05:16:12 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 17225 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2023, 06:20:25 PM »
We are #2 seed for a reason and MSU is not a team to fear, by any stretch. I will start worrying about opponents that have worthy body of work. Joey and MSU do not.

Like I said in another thread about Vermont today, if were MSU in Ft Myers in December, I would say that is a nice win. Beating Baylor in December in MKE was a great win.

I get focusing on opponents, but they have far more to be concerned about than MU does.

I think MU by 10+ on Sunday, with or without a full strength Kolek.

Well said, Goose. Every time someone frets about matchups, my thought is, “Marquette is a tough matchup.”

Though I will say that I’d rather not MU have to test the “without a full strength Kolek” part of your post.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »
For me, this is a much different type of Michigan State than some of their past glass eating teams.

Perimeter jump shooting team but with good offensive sets. Lots of 80% FT shooters but they don’t get to the line super often. (so don’t put them there) It’s more of a shoot the 3, and defend the 3, non/transition team.

It’s a favorable matchup for MUBB in my opinion as long as they can match their physicality and efficiency.

We’ll see.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »
Need to put Kolek's thumb in a boot until game time.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2023, 06:29:51 PM »

A decade of no success plays a role in thinking. MSU had far more to worry about than the Warriors so. We have played 34 games and have big flinched once and I have no fear of MSU.

We have waited to be the hunted and I love be the hunted. This team should fear no opponent.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2023, 06:31:07 PM »
I just hope we are given a fair shake from the refs……and the love CBS has for Izzo and his resume is not advanced.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
This will feel like last Fridays game. Basically a road game. Physical opponent. Except their coach is a hall of famer and not whatever Hurley is.

It's going to take an unreal effort to win that game. Especially if Tyler is limited.

An “unreal effort”?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2023, 06:44:23 PM »
Today is the most cohesive MSU has looked all year.    I hope that it is a one off and not Izzo March magic.   

Look for MSU to be physical with Kolek.   If they happen to foul his right thumb.....
MSU's guards are somewhere between SHU's and SJU's in terms of size and physicality.    MSU shoots a little better. 
MSU starts 3 guards.    I anticipate that Izzo will play Hauser, Hall, and 5 tbd to try to get MU out of their 3 guard sets.   
Joey has been a leader and a steadying influence this season.   Big 10 teams still attack him on defense.    I would love to see OMax finish his straight line drives instead of planting and then attempting moves.    Sissoko will help and pounce on that.   
MSU guards will have sloppy streaks.   
Hall is the only difference maker off the bench.   From time to time, one of their freshman 5's has a stretch.    But don't count on it. 

This is not one of Izzo's great teams.    However, they can get hot.   

If Kolek is 90% of normal, MU wins.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2023, 06:55:22 PM »
Does MSU have a primary message board to read up on their cocky bs?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2023, 06:55:59 PM »
Marquette has been a better team than Michigan State all year. Isso is a great game coach, but so is Shaka. Marquette will win and continue to make us all proud. Eagles will soar and play with fire.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2023, 07:07:39 PM »
Then only thing that gives me pause is Kolek's injury.   Full strength, Marquette is much better.

Michigan State isn't as good as UConn or Xavier.  Creighton is just as good, if not better, than Michigan State.  Marquette went 6-2 against those teams.

Sure, Marquette could lose but I expect to see Marquette's best effort on Sunday on our way to victory.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »
MU's best beats MSU's best.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2023, 07:26:45 PM »

A decade of no success plays a role in thinking. MSU had far more to worry about than the Warriors so. We have played 34 games and have big flinched once and I have no fear of MSU.

We have waited to be the hunted and I love be the hunted. This team should fear no opponent.

Thumbs up, Goose.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2023, 07:37:22 PM »
Only concerns would be if Kolek is limited and the crowd will be 2/3 MSU fans. More if Purdue loses tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »
Only concerns would be if Kolek is limited and the crowd will be 2/3 MSU fans. More if Purdue loses tonight.

Marquette has never had luck with protected seeds. Probably a similar breakdown against Murray State in Louisville.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2023, 08:03:12 PM »
Joey Hauser leading MSU over MU is a nightmare for Scoopers, who relentlessly mock the guy, even though he's a pretty good player and had a really nice game today.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »
Joey Hauser leading MSU over MU is a nightmare for Scoopers, who relentlessly mock the guy, even though he's a pretty good player and had a really nice game today.

OTOH this entire season has been your nightmare.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2023, 08:06:09 PM »

Congratulations Stephanie.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2023, 08:16:44 PM »

LOL.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2023, 08:52:27 PM »
Marquette has never had luck with protected seeds. Probably a similar breakdown against Murray State in Louisville.

It didn't hurt against St. John's at MSG.  Or on the road at Creighton.  I'd rather be in Des Moines, but there you might run into B12 fans.  The committee has said that they do not try to protect seeds after the first round, which is about all they can do.  In '03, Kentucky fans complained that Marquette and Wisconsin were "only a couple hours away."  Wisconsin was not even supposed to be there, as they were a #5 seed.  And they were largely outnumbered because lots of them stayed home planning to go to the Final Four in New Orleans.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2023, 09:15:43 PM »
This will feel like last Fridays game. Basically a road game. Physical opponent. Except their coach is a hall of famer and not whatever Hurley is.

It's going to take an unreal effort to win that game. Especially if Tyler is limited.
I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
An “unreal effort”?

If MU puts in an “unreal effort” they win by 15

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2023, 09:52:58 PM »
Is it true Tom Izzo said the Nationwide Center was MSU's house? 😬

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2023, 09:56:29 PM »
Is it true Tom Izzo said the Nationwide Center was MSU's house? 😬
Yes…he owns it…..put it up in the MU locker room

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2023, 04:24:47 AM »
Each game will be tougher than the last.

Yup.  Very real possibility now that the road to a final four goes though Michigan State, Kentucky, and Duke.  Yikes!

Cream Biggums

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2023, 05:02:21 AM »
Yup.  Very real possibility now that the road to a final four goes though Michigan State, Kentucky, and Duke.  Yikes!

Is that not a dream final 4 run? Couldn't ask for anything better

feedback