Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 17464 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 03:00:55 PM »
We played State in a thanksgiving tournament during the Wojo era also. We obviously lost

State sucks this year. We’ll destroy them
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 03:02:47 PM »
We played State in a thanksgiving tournament during the Wojo era also. We obviously lost

Exactly. What happened against MSU -- or any other team -- 5 or 10 or 20 years ago has nothing to do with this Marquette squad and this NCAA tournament.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »

But only after USC destroys them first?

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »
Sparty put a whuppin on MU the year Jerel was out with a thumb injury.

I was at that game in Winston Salem. MU fell behind something like 14-0 and never really got back in it. They got manhandled by MSU’s muscle.

panda

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »
Its pretty funny with the USC MSU matchup that Drew Peterson (Actually Good Joey Hauser) will be squaring off against his ugly step brother. USC is the better team IMO

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2023, 03:27:00 PM »
But only after USC destroys them first?

Hopefully. I live in the Detroit area and the majority of my friends went to State so I’d love to see them not even advance
Bring back FFP!!!

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2023, 04:39:38 PM »
I'm sure the media wants to play up the Hauser-MU connection (don't think the selection committee doesn't do some of this stuff on purpose), but this is a completely different program than when Hauser played here.  He has no beef with our current coach or our current team, as far as I know.  He's probably tired of hearing about it too.  If it happens, I'm pretty sure Shaka and TKo will approach like every other game - just another team standing between MU and its ultimate goal.

Frankly, I'm more disgusted by how many pundit types have Duke coming out of our region.  Why?  Because they beat the interminably slow Virginia cavaliers, whose transplanted offense served them about as well as Bucky's did against Ohio State?  We've won against some really tough teams this year.  Hell, we led Purdue at Mackay for most of the game until they took the lead for good in the last few minutes.  And that was before the team was working like the clockwork we saw in the Xavier game Saturday. People who haven't been paying attention this year will see a MUBB team that is different than anything they've seen before.  We may not win 'em all be we sure as hell are going to try.  F*ck 'em!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2023, 05:13:03 PM »
I'm sure the media wants to play up the Hauser-MU connection (don't think the selection committee doesn't do some of this stuff on purpose),

It's purely coincidental.  Think of the game 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but with college basketball instead.  There are enough common links that it certainly looks intentional, but it is coincidental.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2023, 05:14:23 PM »
Crean v Izzo.  It should have been our warning.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2023, 05:39:52 PM »
I used to be a huge Tom Izzo fan.  The guy is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport and has been a stalwart in their local community.  The Larry Nassar revelations and trial changed my opinion of the man. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2023, 08:17:41 PM »
I used to be a huge Tom Izzo fan.  The guy is one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport and has been a stalwart in their local community.  The Larry Nassar revelations and trial changed my opinion of the man.
I agree, but I think he is basically a gym teacher / basketball coach. I give him some leeway because I don't think he's a particularly smart person.  Great coach but not a great or good mind.

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2023, 08:19:39 PM »
It's purely coincidental.  Think of the game 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, but with college basketball instead.  There are enough common links that it certainly looks intentional, but it is coincidental.

Correct.  Do you know how many potential round 1 & 2 matchups would have been seen as "intentional" by the NCAA & the committee?

Marquette-Mich St - the Hauser revenge game

Marquette-Texas A&M - Snake Oil Buzz vs MU

Marquette-Texas - Shaka revenge game

Marquette-VCU - Shaka's old team

Marquette-Bradley (had they made it) - Wardle

Marquette-Kentucky - most matchups in NCAA tournament history

Marquette-NC State - rematch of '74 title game

Marquette-UCLA - 2 of the greatest programs of the 70's

Etc, etc  ....You can come up with an angle or storyline for most of these.
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2023, 04:28:09 AM »
Izzo put up a hybrid picket fence zone defense to stop dribble penetration and his protégé didn't respond with a counter until it was too late.  Incredibly, MU had zero two point baskets in the first half as Crean kept going to his endless loop three man weave. Maddening.

I had forgotten how completely incompetent TC was when it came to scheming against a zone. It was like zone defense was a Novell concept that he’d never considered before. Glad I never have to see that dumb three-man weave again.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2023, 07:53:06 AM »
I had forgotten how completely incompetent TC was when it came to scheming against a zone. It was like zone defense was a Novell concept that he’d never considered before. Glad I never have to see that dumb three-man weave again.

I was so bummed when his Indiana team lost to Syracuse in 2013 cuz he couldn’t handle their zone
Bring back FFP!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2023, 08:11:55 AM »
I still have nightmares about Crean's 3-Man Weave offense that often took place out near the half-court circle until the shot clock ran most of the way down.

I was at that game with my daughter -- and so do I!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 08:22:54 AM »
I was so bummed when his Indiana team lost to Syracuse in 2013 cuz he couldn’t handle their zone
My wife got mad at me because I told her IU was going to lose and the how and why.  When it played out exactly like I said it would, I was the bad guy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2023, 08:26:55 AM »
In 2013, I picked Syracuse to the Final Four.  I knew Indiana had no shot against that zone.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2023, 08:50:51 AM »
I was at that game in Winston Salem. MU fell behind something like 14-0 and never really got back in it. They got manhandled by MSU’s muscle.
The crowd that day was overwhelmingly UNC fans, and the biggest crowd reaction from both games that session was when they put up the score of VCU beating Duke.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »
My wife got mad at me because I told her IU was going to lose and the how and why.  When it played out exactly like I said it would, I was the bad guy.

I hope you had a comfortable sofa.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2023, 10:02:51 AM »

Indiana did better against the zone than we did the next game. That was brutal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2023, 11:27:42 AM »
I hope you had a comfortable sofa.
Ayup.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2023, 01:21:08 PM »
Sparty looked like an Izzo team in March.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2023, 01:26:14 PM »
Would he have been there when Oso was taking his visits?
Before that. Didn't he play several years with Otule?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »
Izzo is watching MU.  Plotting how physical to be.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2023, 03:12:26 PM »
MSU will be playing Sunday.
Only question yet to be answered is:  Will Marquette?
I hope so.

So Tower, we know you are a MSU fan.
Who will you be rooting for if Marquette plays MSU on Sunday?

feedback